The Speech

Without Knowing It All

Song suggestion: Lost Stars- Adam Levine


"Although student Park Chorong is our class valedictorian, she is unable to give a speech this evening. Instead, I present to you salutorian Kim Hyuna as the student speaker of the evening." Principal Kim clapped his hands along with the crowd, proud that his speech had ended well.

Hyuna walked across the stage to the podium and smiled, greeting the audience with a friendly wave. The two screens behind her on the left and ride side enlargened the view of the stage, cameras broadcasting her every move so even people in the far back could get a view of what was going on.

"Thank you for the wonderful introduction, Principal Kim. Let's give it up for our marvelous principal once again."

Enjoying the attention, Principle Kim waved at the audience, accepting of the applause. The two formally shook hands as part of protocol to officially hand the stage to Hyuna.

"Welcome students, parents, faculty, and members of the press to Seoul High School's graduation ceremony. Thank you for setting aside the time to celebrate with all of us as we take the next step forward in life. Everyone here today has been invited for a purpose and know that you have played an important part in our lives. On behalf of the students, I would like to thank those that have positively impacted our lives and bettered who we are as responsible human beings."

Before starting the speech, Hyuna took a deep breath and bowed towards the audience, holding her posture for a good three seconds before rising. "I am honored with the responsibility to represent my class and speak for all of us. As the principal mentioned, this spotlight was meant for Park Chorong, but unfortunately she is mute. Therefore, I will speak in her stead with my voice."

Students began to whisper amongst themselves, puzzled that she would even bring the mute girl up.

"I don't get it, is she trying to take a final jab?"

"Nah I think she's being sarcastic."

"I don't think she'd try to ruin her image with so many people around, though."

The scholarship students searched for each other amongst the sea of students, eyeing one another even though their seats were separated. Their hearts pounding and filled with anxiety, they gave each other nods of confirmation and hope. They had to trust Hyuna.

Hyuna ignored the murmurs, reminding herself repeatedly to stay focused and finish what had been started. It was time for her to turn Chorong's words into an audible voice. 

"As we all acknowledge, Seoul High School is the best high school in this country. It is known to have the safest environment that does not tolerate any type of bullying. The facilities are at the top of its class, with only the brightest students that have the privilege of using them. The graduation rate is basically 100%, and those who come out of this school further their studies in the top universities around the world, making a tremendous difference in their respective fields of studies. In middle school, all I thought to myself was, I have to get into this utopia of a school. Everything sounded too good to be true. So when I got accepted into a place this prestigious, I cried. The acceptance meant everything to me. It gave me hope. Maybe, just maybe, life was turning around for me and everything would get better."

Principal Kim nodded his head and waved his hands as if he were conducting an orchestra. The words were music to his ears, with everything exactly the same as he had read from Hyuna's drafts. He knew that she would then continue to praise the school, and more importantly, praise him like a god he was.

Hyuna sighed, pulling as much emotions as she could from her heart. She was speaking for Chorong, and she had to show it.

"Things did get better, and I'm happy to announce that attending this school was truly like a dream that I couldn't wake up from. Despite my initial reluctance, I managed to meet patient friends that firmly stood by my side until I opened up my heart. It is all thanks to this school that I created friendships I'm certain will last me a life time. We may have wanted to choke each other at some points and argued to no end, but we also profusely cried together and struggled through life events we might have not been able to endure without each other. I never understood the value of youth and the fun in being young, but now I fully comprehend why dramas and movies center their stories around school life. It is a time where we learn the bounds of our emotions. We learn to love, forgive, and cherish the little moments that make life beautiful. And for that, I'm thankful to my friends that made my teenage years absolutely unforgettable. It was those awkward first impressions, instances of fear, and progression of trust that constitute the most precious times."

The scholarship students all turned to look at Chorong, who was embarrassed knowing her affection towards her friends had been revealed. They knew that the speech contained her genuine thoughts and expressions. As Hyuna spoke, Chorong's words had come to life, making the friends walk through the journey and growth of their relationships. A flood of memories came crashing down in their minds, be it good or bad. Times where they laughed like crazy, cried like crazy, and regretted like crazy. 

"I even managed to bond with teachers who were in love with their jobs, and more importantly, in love with each and every single student. They took their time to educate us on not just what we needed to know for tests, but also slipped in life lessons that will provide us with guidelines for the rest of our lives. They made us work for our answers, giving us words of wisdom to ponder upon until we figured out things on our own. Teachers like ours are worthy of respect and deserve every bit of recognition they get. On behalf of the graduating class and future graduating students, I genuinely thank teachers once again for going above and beyond what is required, doing much more than they are obligated to do by protecting us."

Mr. Kwak and Ms. Lee turned towards each other with knowing smilies. Chorong was talking about them. Mr. Kwak slipped his hand into Ms. Lee's, gripping firmly. 

Leaning into her ear, he whispered, "When are we inviting them to the wedding?"

Bewildered, Ms. Lee lightly flicked his forehead. "Let's not get ahead of ourselves and do things one step at a time." She rubbed her unheld hand on his forehead to comfort him, smiling at his silliness.

Hyuna firmly looked over in Chorong's direction and gave a nod. The latter nodded back, knowing it was time. 

You can do it.

"Now, I know it sounds like Seoul High School really is the perfect school from everything that I've spoken. As I mentioned earlier, this school was like a dream I couldn't wake up from. And since I couldn't wake up from it, it was a nightmare. Why? Because it was my reality, a hellish one that I would have to repeat over and over again, every single weekday until this final moment where I graduate and leave this place."

Stunned, audible whispers filled the large auditorium. 

"What the hell is she talking about?"

"Is this some sort of trick?"

Principal Kim firmly gripped the armrest of his chair in anger. He snarled into the vice principal's ear, "I don't recall her having this part in her speech."

Vice Principal Oh gulped and loosened his tie. 

Other school administration began to mutter amongst themselves as well, some asking Principal Kim what was going on.

Meanwhile, members of the press perked their ears and were eating up the information. They couldn't imagine what ruckus the headlines were going to create.

"I know some are panicking while others are simply curious as to what I mean. I meant what I said, literally. Remember, I am speaking on behalf of Park Chorong. I am her voice, reading her speech."

Hyuna, that announcement was definitely not a part of the plan. Chorong's eyes widened as the graduating students began to turn and stare at her, with other students in the crowd pointing out the girl to whoever did not know who she was to the parents and reporters.

"Now that you all remember who's speech I am reading, excuse me as I continue in the first person. Imagine that these words are coming from , not mine.

As you all know, I'm mute and one of the few scholarship students that attend Seoul High School. And as my fellow students know, I have a very complicated past. 99% of the rumors that I hear about myself tossed around school are lies, but no one was ever interested in the truth anyways. No one bothered trying to get to know me for who I genuinely am. Most people were only interested in hearing what they wanted to hear. They wanted to confirm their own suspicions about me, creating countless rumors that I'm afraid I can't say or else this speech would be entirely unprofessional and lewd. 

I'm here today because I want to take this opportunity to take off the thick mask this school has been wearing all of these years. It's not a perfect place. Sure, the academics are top notch, no doubt about it. But the lack of human decency at this place has reached a point where I cannot endure it anymore. I know some will refuse to believe my words, questioning why has it taken so long for someone to come out with the truth? If there have been problems for so long, why hasn't the school already been exposed?

Well, my answer to you is because of society. Politics. Money. All of it. Without knowing it all, we all simply succumb to the status quo and accept things the way they are. Scholarship students don't have much to begin with, but everybody else is exactly the opposite. They have the money, the power, the brains, practically everything is in their favor. We all like to say we're an advocate for change, but aren't we just complacent hypocrites that like to remain ignorant to the truth that lies right in front of us? We like to play little games and pretend we care. Only when it's blown out of proportions do we start to realize our mistakes and attempt to correct them. Well, I'd like to try and change this type of behavior before it's too late, even if just a little. After all, I spoke out, but I gave up after thinking all of my efforts were in vain. Today, I'm not going to give up.

I've received all kinds of treatment from my fellow students at this school. I've been punched like a sandbag, kicked like I'm nothing but dirt on the ground, and much more. From rumors of how I became mute, which I have been since birth by the way, as well as what I possibly do with my body for a living, there's really nothing I haven't heard. I've tried to get school officials to help, but it was no use. It's almost as if no one wanted to believe my words. I don't have a name to me, I only have the smarts, which basically everyone else in this school has. I don't have the same socioeconomic standing as those that harass me, so no one helped me and justice was never served. I felt foolish for blindly believing the lies this school served me on a golden platter. Having been bullied in middle school, I had wanted to trust that high school would be my chance to feel happy.

It's not just me that receives such crude treatment, my fellow scholarship students have to endure the same things every single day. Bullying became a normal part of our daily routines we couldn't avoid. We're not here to condemn every single person that has ever hurt us, it's graduation day and we'll all be leaving for our separate futures. A lot of us don't know each other and we'll probably never see each other again. However, I would like this to be a reminder that bullying is not a matter that should be swept under the rug, especially with its hellish effects on one's life. Our lives aren't a running joke you can use to entertain yourselves."

Furious, Principal Kim loudly stood up from his seat and yelled out, "Kim Hyuna, please stop. You have no authority to finish this speech and if this continues, I will have security take you down. Somebody, mute the mic."

"Sorry, but I have friends up there in the studio booth controlling the audio so no can do." Hyuna gave a thumbs up to the scholarship students up in the booth, who smiled and waved back at her in triumphant excitement.

"Everyone, please excuse me and I apologize for such a disgraceful matter happening on a celebratory day like this. Security, go."

The guards began to appear and climbed up the stairs to the stage.

Thinking fast, Hyuna pulled the mic from the stand and gripped it tightly. "I haven't even spoken even half of what Chorong wants to say. Rude, let me finish. And I do have the authority to finish this speech. Principal Kim, you signed a document that authorized me to say whatever I wanted even if it was different from my initial drafts. You were just too lazy to read the details within the permission slip."

"I'm sorry, but I'm taking these matters into my hands. There's no truth to anything that she's saying so I would like to put an end to this." Principal Kim refused to let them have the last hurrah, not under his jursidiction.

The security guards ran up the stage as Hyuna continued to hug the mic, not knowing what to do until she noticed Mr. Kwak frantically waving his hands. 

"Catch!" Gathering her strength, Hyuna threw the mic down to the teacher's section at Mr. Kwak right as the guards took a hold of each of her arms.

"There is truth to what has been spoken, Principal Kim. You just refuse to admit it because you're so blinded by power and money. I have evidence, and some of my fellow colleagues also know what is going on within the walls of this school. As a teacher, it is my duty to protect all of students. Unfortunately, my help was limited due to the cards of corruption played by the dealers."

"Guards, do your jobs!" Principal Kim's raised his voice and ordered, "those who speak up must be taken down."

The vice principal nudged his shoulders, "Are you sure, with all of these people around I don't know if..."

"JUST DO AS I SAY."

"Well then, I'm afraid we'll have to play the game of catch." Mr. Kwak threw the direction of the mic in Suho's direction, who swiftly jumped for the mic.

"I am a witness too. Nothing can be denied anymore, it's not only us who know what's going on. You can't pretend that his never happened."

"Please, this is a joke. Give me a break people. Just two people isn't enough." Principal Kim rolled his eyes at their foolish attempts to turn the audience on their side.

Unwilling to back down, scholarship students began to stand just as security had caught up to Suho, who struggled against their grips while his friends attempted to free him.

Even without a mic, they weren't going down without a fight. Like Hyuna had said, they'd fight a if they had to.

"We've all been bullied." Namjoon's eyes were desperately looking around the crowd for people to believe them or at least speak up in their defense. It became a battle of numbers.

"It's all true. We're tired of this repetitive cycle and want to change it." Eunji nodded at Namjoon in full support.

Baekhyun yelled, "It's time to give it up, we're all guilty of knowing what has been going on. I wasn't a bully, but I was passive. I'm not letting this opportunity to speak up slip past me again."

The students felt it harder to swallow their saliva, as some were witnesses that didn't bother to help the scholarship students. Some never directly bullied the scholarship students, but they laughed along with the jokes and rumors that were spread around campus. Even the bullies were nervous, knowing this revelation meant it was the end.

Principal Kim laughed wickedly, speaking at the top of his lungs with sarcasm. "Oh, and where are these bullies then? Why is no one stepping up and admitting their mistakes if so many were committed? I'll have to punish someone, don't I? Please, this is just a ploy. It's only you scholarship students that are causing such a fuss for your silly feelings having been hurt."

Still struggling against the security, Hyuna yelled with tears streaming down her face, "I was."

Much to the bewilderment of everyone in the auditorium, Hyuna did not regret her confession. "I only got away with these things because of my status, and no, my dad is innocent and is a man true to his words. He did not abuse his power, I did. It was all my fault. I knew I would get away with things if I used my father's name, so school administration has prevented me from ever getting in trouble. Dad, I'm really sorry. Chorong, I'm sorry." 

I...I started all of this. Chorong looked at all of the students around her. Her friends were all standing and fighting for their rights, calling out the discrimination they had faced in this school. EXO-K was pulling their load as well, and she was especially startled when Hyuna suddenly admitted to her past wrongdoings. She grew overwhelmed at the heartwarming sight and began to shake.

What am I supposed to do? In the end, I'm still the useless one, I can't speak, I-

"You're not useless." Having broken free from security with the mic in his hand thanks to Jongin and Chanyeol, Suho had run to Chorong's side. It pained him to see her nervously glancing around her friends and covering with her anxious, trembling hands in guilt.

Random voices from amongst the crowd began to chime in. Everyone was moved at the courage it took for the scholarship students to step up and admired their bravery. They knew it was the end and that they would win with numbers. Their hearts had been shaken at the school festival, but now they had been moved.

"I bullied some of the scholarship students too! I didn't mean it as something I'm proud of... but I'll accept my punishment."

"Me too. I made up rumors since everyone else was doing it."

"I... I'm not proud of what I've done and am willing to accept what I rightfully deserve."

Before he knew it, all Principal Kim could audibly hear were words such as "I was a bully" and "punish me". Students began to stand up in batches, loudly confessing what they wanted to get off of their chests.

Amidst the commotion, Suho held onto Chorong's hand and led her up the stage with the scholarship students and EXO-K going up the stairs to join them. They took advantage of the confessions and were grateful that many of the students united together in order to help them. Whether they were genuinely sorry or not wasn't what mattered at the moment anyways, it was time to finish what had been started. The guys began to crowd around the security that held Hyuna, only for them to voluntarily let go and walk off stage knowing they couldn't win in terms of numbers.

"What are you guys doing! Do your jobs and catch all of them!"

"I apologize, Principal Kim, but I'm afraid it's too late." Suho waved the mic tauntingly in victory.

"Hey," Hyuna whispered to Chorong, "I'm sorry I couldn't finish most of the speech."

"It's okay. Having all of this happen is even better." Chorong patted Hyuna on the back and smiled, grateful that the latter had done her best.

It's all up to me. I started all of this, I need to finish it myself.

Suho glanced over at Chorong and gave her a nod. "Graduating class, I present to you, your valedictorian Park Chorong."

The confessions stopped at the announcement and the crowd went silent. They weren't exactly sure how to react since it was obvious Chorong couldn't exactly speak.

"Whoo, let's go!" Eunji's father stood up in unison with his wife, and both started to clap loudly amidst the awkward silence at the announcement.

One by one, Mr. Kwak, Ms. Lee, Hyuna's father and mother, Joon Myun's father, and more stood up and started to clap while wildly cheering. The parents had stayed silent even as the situations had spiraled even further, trusting that their children would do the right thing and ultimately conquer. The audience followed in suit, following the example of the teachers and parents.

"Oh come on, you've got to be kidding me." Principal Kim menacingly went up the stage with some staff members despite the boos and jeers of the crowd. "How is she even going to speak? You all have to be shooting me in the foot."

EXO-K created a front barrier around Chorong and the other friends stood by her. 

"Hey, leave them alone!"

"Let them speak!"

"Boo, get off the stage!"

Kyungsoo raised his eyebrow and stared straight into the principal's eyes. "You should give it up."

The vice principal tugged on Principal Kim's sleeve and stuttered, "I-I really th-think we should just sit back down."

"Fine, if you all want to listen to a mute girl randomly speak, go ahead." Stomping off the stage in a fit, he knew on the inside everyone had already turned against him. He had lost all control. "Is she magically going to reveal she was never deaf all along?"

"Is she going to magically reveal she was never deaf all along?" Her voice dripping with sarcasm, Hyuna mockingly sneered at the principal. "Shove it."

Naeun smiled and gave Chorong a thumbs up from the booth, zooming the camera onto the senior.

"Remember? This is how I speak." Chorong held up her notepad as Naeun and the other underclassmen in the sound booth panned the cameras to focus on the notepad so the whole auditorium could listen to Chorong for themselves. For such a big auditorium with a large number of people, it managed to remain silent.

"No, I don't have an audible voice, but I have found one thanks to this notepad and marker.

I know that there's a lot of explaining left to do, but I'm afraid I can't answer everything right now. As Hyuna already helped me mention, we scholarship students are not chasing anyone down. We've had each other to rely on, so we're all okay. However, we didn't want to remain complacent just because we're graduating. In the future, more scholarship students would have to endure the same things we have, but the thought was unsettling. It meant more and more people would choose abuse their power and more would suffer under the cruelty of the norm.

Change starts somewhere, so it should start now.

Thank you."

Chorong deeply bowed towards the audience.

"Please take her message seriously to heart." After Joon Myun spoke, he bowed with the rest of the friends in unison that were on stage, all of their backs bending in hopes their efforts wouldn't go to waste.

Chorong rose from her bow and the others followed her lead. Her brown eyes glistened with tears as everyone stood and gave a round of applause.

It's finally over.


A/N: sorry for the late update, i had a family visiting and cousin's wedding so i was gone for a good two weeks. i edited this chapter as much as i could but tbh, i'm still not satisfied with how i conveyed everything. rip lack of decent writing skills.

^me crying at my lackluster writing plus the fact that school starts next week