Her Secret

Without Knowing It All

Song suggestion: 红豆 (Red Bean)-方大同 (Khalil Fong)


"This is safe to sit on right?" Baekhyun questioned the green grass like it was some kind of trap.

"Dude, it's just grass. Sit." Eunji patted the patch of grass next to her.

"But my lovely pants..." He bit his bottom lip and reluctantly sat down.

"Relax, grass won't eat you alive. And it won't stain as long as you don't rub your on the ground." She smirked and ruffled his hair. "Aigoo what a good boy."

"Yah! I'm not a dog. First you tell me to sit then you pet my head. Not cool."

"Stop your barking and look at what's around you." Eunji tsked at Baekhyun.

He rolled his eyes. "You alluded to me being a dog again."

"Just shut up and look."

Baekhyun looked around the park. Nothing much was going on really. A couple of kids, some elderly couples, other than that, it was pretty quiet. "What's there to see?"

"Simplicity." Eunji closed her eyes and took in a deep breath of the fresh air. She opened her eyes and plucked some grass to play with or sprinkle into Baekhyun's hair. It wasn't long until she lay flat on the grass, facing the sky.

"You see, maybe it's not just people like you, but we forget to remember the beauty of simplicity. We're so caught up with everything happening around us that we actually forget what is around us. Notice how the park is only filled with either super young or super old people? They take the time to have fun and enjoy themselves through their communites. Sometimes, I get so mad and frustrated with the world, that I forget what it has to offer. Just like today, all 25 of us were suspended from the dream school people would kill to get into. All because we decided to fight for our rights."

She paused for a moment after Baekhyun shifted a bit, only to lie down on the grass next to her.

"Aren't you angry? Bitter at the world?"

"Who wouldn't be if they were put in my situation? If you aren't angry or bitter at the world, you must be Budha or something. Of course I hate the world right now. But I don't want to be the type of person who drowns herself in a sea of self-pity and constantly throws myself pity parties. Life , and I know it all too well. It's like the whole world conspires against you, and you're left with nothing. You're powerless. Helpless. Weak."

"But you can still be sad and angry. Crying and complaining isn't bad, it's a form of stress-relief so nothing bottles up on the inside."

"I know that, all to well in fact. Telling someone they can't be sad because someone else may have it worse is like saying someone can't be happy because someone else has it better. I cry, complain, scream into my pillows, punch them, and a whole lot of other crazy bipolar . I am sad. Do you not see how crazy I look?" Eunji turned to her side and faced Baekhyun, showing him her mess of a face. Her bangs were all over the place, grass was stuck in her hair, and the tears managed to just messily stick everything onto her face.

"But I won't spend my entire life wailing over how unfair my life is like some people. I wasted so much time doing that once, I don't want to be condemned to repeat the mistake again." Her eyes became glassy and she sniffled.

"What was your mistake?" Baekhyun softly asked, afraid to hurt the now vulnerable looking Eunji. The usual strength, confidence, and fire in her eyes were gone.

"There was once a story of an 8 year old girl, Hyerin, who had been best friends with a country bumpkin, a dumb and cocky Busan girl at that, for four years.

"But the sharp of knife a short life severed the relationship when it had just begun. The car accident had taken away both of Hyerin's parents, and she knew she would follow in their footsteps despite the fact that she survived the initial impact of the crash. That stupid girl, with the final hours she had left to live, had the nurse write that Busan girl a letter."

Eunji,

I'm sorry for leaving you so early, but God says it's time for me to go with my family. If I had to be honest with you, you're probably the bestest friend anyone could ever have and I hope another lucky person will come along to befriend you in my place. You have always protected me. That's what I've always liked and admired about you. You're are my complete opposite. You're loud, observant, courageous, boyish but girly at the same time, and you could care less about other people's opinions. 

With that being said, you'll be fine without me right? Don't be sad when I'm not around. Keep your head up and help other people, like you've helped me. Do the things that I've always wanted to do when I grew up in my stead. Continue to be you and stay daebak. I guess I'll just stay up there until you come by, hopefully a good eighty years later.

Your Bestest Friend EVER,

Hyerin <3 

"She was ing eight, Baekhyun, EIGHT. And she spoke the words that even 100 year olds probably could only dream of saying."

Eunji abruptly got up and looked to the darkened sky. She cupped her hands around and yelled, " 'Stay up there until you come by',  I don't think I can do that Hyerin because I'M GOING TO BURN IN HELL FOR ALL I ING KNOW!" 

"Hey, it's okay, calm down." Baekhyun stood up and placed his hands on her shoulders. "You might not want to scare the other civillians... then again, like your friend said, you never care about other people's opinions."

"Of course she knew me best." There was a little twinkle in Eunji's eyes as she had a nostalgic feeling. "I don't necessarily remember everything we did together, and me aging hasn't really helped since the memories are slowly fading everyday. We were so young back then, so young..."

The two just sat on the grass together for what seemed like a long time. The sun had long set and they looked up to the dark sky filled with bright stars.

"You know, you never did tell me what your mistake was." Baekhyun softly whispered.

"I didn't, did I." She sighed and took in deep breaths to avoid breaking down. 

"So basically, a storm of stuff happened after that. I closed myself off from the world. I hated the world, and I didn't want to come out to see it. At that time, all I could think of was why the hell would God let such a terrible thing happen to an eight year old? Why did she have to die when there are so many others that actually deserve to die, but enjoy the luxuries of life instead? I couldn't sleep well for two years thinking about that. Even when I did, it was because I had to cry myself to sleep. I felt so guilty living, the pain was hurting me slowly, stab after stab after stab. I constantly complained about life and that was all I ever did. Complain, cry, hate, two years filled with nothing but a life of resentment towards the world. I had to continue going to school, but I shut my mouth. Teachers and my other so-called friends actually thought I was okay, but only I knew all of my smiles were fake."

Baekhyun slipped his hand and interlaced his fingers with Eunji's. "Keep going."

"I drowned myself in self-pity. I let it take control of my life. With no social life, all I did was read for a pastime. Shocking, right? When I finally decided to read the newspaper for the first time, I cried. Suddenly, my life wasn't as miserable as it seemed. Babies who had barely lived past 6 months dead, kids living in poverty, stories of people living with missing limbs, everything overwhelmed me. I cried for my abhorrent life, and I cried for theirs as well. A good number number of people have ty lives, some even tier than mine. What I forgot was to think about the things I did get to have, the things I did get to enjoy. Some parents never even get a month with their baby before he or she dies. I was able to know her for four long years. She didn't die in vain. She wasn't bitter at God for her life ending early, she didn't show even the slightest bit of anger, because she knew she didn't have enough time for that. She only had enough time to be happy, and she wanted her life to end on the right note. It was like peace had completely taken over her body when she died.

"For those two years of my life that I'll never get back, I wasted them. I could have been thinking about the memories I made with her, but instead I thought about how evil the world was. Now it's my own fault that the good memories are slowly slipping. I didn't take the time to cherish them or make them precious. All I did was cry and think about her death. Plus, in the letter, she told me to not be sad. Just for me to be me. That was all she asked me to do in the letter, and I couldn't even fufill that one wish. I basically upset her in heaven. She wouldn't want to see me like this if she were alive.

"I eventually gained the courage to socialize more often again, taking baby steps. My dad actually introduced me to Chorong a few months afterwards, and I clicked with her, just like Hyerin. I felt the need to protect Chorong, just like Hyerin. Don't get the wrong idea though, I never for once thought of Chorong as Hyerin's replacement. The two are totally different people. Way too different for that matter."

"Chorong knows what you've been through right? Your past with Hyerin?" Baekhyun eyed Eunji as she shifted uncomfortably, avoiding the male's gaze and letting go of his hand.

"I didn't tell her. I don't want her to mistaken that I made her my replacement for Hyerin."

Baekhyun's eyes widened. "So I'm the first person to know?"

"Sadly, yes."

He cracked a small smile although it was supposed to be a solemn situation. 

"Thanks for trusting me."

"Who said I trust you?"

"Well you told me something you have never told anyone else right? You let me in on your deepest, darkest, most emotional secret. Something even Chorong doesn't know. Is that not an accomplishment?" Baekhyun leaned in and scooted closer to Eunji.

"I mean, I guess." She shrugged. Eunji blew her nose into a tissue without trying to conceal the noise whatsoever.

"And you're back."

"What do you mean?" She noisily sneezed without covering , but she did make sure to roll away from Baekhyun first.

"That's what I meant."

"Ohhh. Well if I were actually back, I would have sneezed on you."


A/N: Short update since I miraculously have no hw (finished it during class :D). 

12/20/14 update: WINTER BREAK ^^