Reality Check

Without Knowing It All

Song suggestion: Secret Garden- Apink


"This... this isn't happening." Jinki whispered faintly and the others stared at the principal in shock. They were rendered speechless.

"What?! How is that even possible?" Eunji questioned. "I demand an explanation." Her face was dark and she glared at the two authorities in front of her.

The vice principal sighed. "Most of the board and administrators weren't thinking about taking strict action when we had a meeting the day of the incident, but after the weekend, it was like something snapped. A number of them suggested expulsion. After a majority vote, they decided that expulsion was best."

"I'm guessing they thought it wasn't worth it to have scholarship students if they weren't going to even pay for their education. In addition, you guys caused such a vexing ruckus during the festival as well." Principal Kim smirked.

"Principal Kim, I suggest you keep your mouth shut and stop acting so prideful. You're in no position to be talking to us like trash if you're currently suspended from your job." Chorong smacked her notepad onto the table, making both the vice principal and principal jump at the sudden noise.

"You know what, I'm actually glad we're expelled." Taemin reasoned. "We won't have to go to this hell of a school, and plenty of other places would line up for our attendance in their schools. You're letting go of some of the most intelligent people this school has ever seen."

The scholarship students eyed each other nervously, but gained confidence with each word. He was right. They were free from bullying now. Free from injustice. Free from everything. Even if they were expelled from Seoul High School, other schools would probably accept them in an instant with their stats.

"And we won't have to deal with such corrupt authority." Bomi spat.


"We'll all be fine right?" Hayoung questioned as the students began to walk to the front of the school after having cleared out their lockers, cubbies, everything. An inexplicable emptiness engulfed their hearts.

"Let's all apply to Jeguk High." Seokjin suggested. "They're the second best school, and I'm pretty sure they'd accept us in the blink of an eye."

"But it's not the top high school." Jungkook grumbled bitterly. "I wouldn't have participated if I knew we were going to get expelled."

Namjoo nodded her head. "I'm not confident anymore. I would have rather stayed here."

"So you wanted to stay and be bullied? Where has your self-esteem gone! That's crazy talk." Bomi sighed.

"We wouldn't have even been in this mess if we didn't come up with the stupid plan in the first place. Besides, who knows what will go down in Jeguk. What if the school environment is even worse over there?" Taehyung growled.

Everyone began to yell at each other, making smart aleck remarks. All anyone could hear was arguing, arguing, arguing.

"STOP!" Eunji yelled. The students shifted their attention on her.

"What's done has been done. Just shut up." 

"Easy for you to say, especially when your dad's a nurse at the top hospital. If it weren't for your debt..." Mina tsked. 

"You better watch your snarky mouth before I rip it off that ugly face of yours." 

Chorong watched as the bickering started all over again. She rolled her eyes and clapped her hands for attention.

"Stop acting childish. And to think we're geniuses. -.- We should be treasuring some of the better memories we made here. We should be going around the classrooms reliving some of our memories. It's not like we can turn back time. Didn't everyone agree to not regret our choice to fight? What's with all of this hypocrisy? If we keep up with this arguing, we'll only look weak in front of the world. Complaining never gets anywhere. The most you do is annoy people."

She was right.

The students lowered their eyes in shame and sighed. Better to treasure their last moments together than fight.

Chorong held out her hands and took a hold of Naeun's and Eunji's. Noting the signal, everyone began to take another's hand. 

They roamed around the halls of the school together, going through each and every classroom. Not one eye was dry.

"Remember how fun it was that day when..."

"Yeah! That was hilarious..."

 

 

No matter what, they weren't leaving the school empty-handed. Through the pain they had suffered and the consequent unfair ruling, they had built personal connections through those experiences. They were leaving with strong bonds, as well as the fond memories they spent together when they hung out.

The scholarship students gained unexpected things at a school such as Seoul High: true friendships with absolutely no strings attached, and a sense of passion for equality and justice for every single person, no matter what class, color, or disabilities.


Suho sighed as he fidgeted with his phone. Should I go?

He impatiently tapped his foot before his dad came into the room. "Sorry son, I didn't know I would need you." He noticed how spaced out his son was.

"Joon Myun- ah, is everything okay?"

"Huh? Oh, hey dad, it's nothing." He tried to put some warmth to his voice, but it didn't seem to show. 

"You can get going to wherever you need to go. We're done here so do whatever you want with your friends." His dad chuckled bitterly.

"Okay, thanks. Bye dad." Suho quickly got up from the couch and went out of the door in a hurry. He was so fast that his dad couldn't even say goodbye. 

"Bye, Joon Myun..." The slam of the door and coldness ate up his silent words.


Chorong and Eunji smiled at each other as they carried their school supplies back home.

"You don't think my mom and dad will kill us, right?" Eunji frowned.

Chorong shook her head. She couldn't write since both hands were full.

"You know sign language too, but it's such a waste. Barely any people communicate with sign language and it's just as inconvenient as writing. Because in the end, you still have to use your hands." Eunji sighed and they made a turn towards their apartment complex.

"Heol." Eunji stared at the two guys and rolled her eyes. She nudged Chorong with her elbow, who was focusing on the scenery of the roads. The weather was getting colder every day, and snow would fall soon.

The two figures quickly walked over and took the weight of the supplies off their arms.

Eunji stretched her arms and smiled. "Ahh that's better. What are you guys doing here?"

Baekhyun blew his bangs. "Better yet, what are you guys doing?"

Eunji continued to stretch and spoke cheerfully. "We were expelled. All 25 of us."

"I thought it would be more serious- wait WHAT?" Baekhyun widened his eyes and he stared at Suho, dumbfounded.

Suho serenely grabbed Chorong's stuff from her hands and just walked towards the apartment. He did not look like his usual joyful self, he was serious and his face was full of worry.


"Are you okay?"

Suho was with Chorong in her house while Baekhyun went to Eunji's. They had just finished reorganizing Chorong's school supplies on the table.

She limply nodded, but was staring off into space. It was hard pretending to be strong and okay.

"No, you're not. You can't lie to me with that kind of face." Suho shook his head. 

Chorong stared at him and sighed. How did he always know what was going on in her head?

"Erm, I don't know how this stuff goes..." Suho scratched the back of his head.

"Fine, I'm not okay. But don't think I'm going to break down and cry like a baby because I'm not." She pouted and crossed her arms. "I just need some time to breathe and take it all in, that's it."

Chorong abruptly got up from her seat and beckoned Suho to follow her. Confused, he put on his shoes and they left the door towards Eunji's house. Chorong pressed the passcode to the house and opened the door to find none other than Baekhyun and Eunji.

Both Suho and Chorong's eyes grew wide.

"What are you guys doing?" Suho raised his brows.

Unbeknownst to them, Eunji and Baekhyun turned their heads in shock. 

Eunji stared at Baekhyun, and he stared back at her. She looked at the possibilty of angle differences before freaking out

"YAH it's not what you think I swear to God!" She yelled.

"She-she's right!" Baekhyun stuttered.

"Then what were you guys doing?" Chorong rolled her eyes.

Baekhyun went over to Chorong and closely stood next to her... so close to the point where their faces were only a couple of centimeters apart.

"Yah yah yah, what do you think you're doing!" Suho pushed Baekhyun away. "You ert."

"Oww." Baekhyun rubbed his arm. "Chorong-ah, you saw it right? She kept on blowing but the thing in my eye still won't come out." He grumbled and started to blink the right eye rapidly. "Damn, I still feel it."

Chorong and Suho blew a huge sigh of relief, and Eunji laughed. She went up to Baekhyun and held his face still again, just like before. She gently blew onto his eye before Baekhyun finally backed away.

"It's gone! Gee thanks Eunji." He rubbed his eye and smiled. "Anyways, why'd you guys come here?"

"We're going somewhere." Chorong had a noticeable glint in her eyes, and Eunji snapped her fingers.

"Ahh, I see. That's perfect actually. Let's go!" Eunji pulled Baekhyun, Chorong, and Suho and managed to drag all three out of her house.

"Woah, slow down. Where are we going exactly?" Suho raised his brow.

"Just follow us." Chorong wrote. Eunji slung her arm around Chorong's shoulder and the two began to walk ahead of the guys. 

 

 

"The park. That's it?" Baekhyun complained. "This is the special place you guys had in mind to drag us to?" 

"Oh come on, we just got expelled idiot. We need to walk and take a breather, you know, let reality sink back in again." Eunji dragged Baekhyun away. "Let's go!" The two loud voices grew fainter by the second.

Suho watched as Chorong made her way over to the empty swings. She took a seat and began to swing gently, breathing in the fresh air and enjoying the height of the moment. He took the swing next to her and watched as she had a warm smile on her face, enjoying the freedom of life for once.

Chorong stopped after noticing Suho sitting on the swing... not swinging.

"Don't tell me you don't know how to swing by yourself."

Suho stared at the notepad and gulped out of nervousness. Chorong couldn't help but laugh at the practically full-grown man who didn't know how to swing alone.

She got off her seat and gave Suho a little shove, handing him off her notebook.

"Dude, at this point, you seriously have to learn how to swing. The gender roles have now been reversed. I can't believe the girl has to push the guy. 

1. When you go up, kick out straight.

2. When you're going backwards, kick back."

Right next to the notes, she had drawn out little figures so he could understand better. After a while, Suho was finally able to swing by himself without the need for Chorong to push him.

"I think I understand why you like swinging so much. The wind against my face is amazing and it feels like all of my worries just, vanish." Chorong smiled at how childlike Suho looked as he swung back and forth with his short stature.

Despite the cold weather, Suho brought Chorong along to the nearby ice-cream vendor in the park and they got two ice cream cones. Before Chorong took a bite out of hers, she noticed a little boy crying. An ice cream cone was by his feet, melting away.

The boy's eyes glittered as Chorong held out her uneaten cone to the boy, gently smiling in order to look more approachable and not like some creepy stranger noona. 

"I can take this fairy noona?" 

Chorong smiled at the word fairy and softly took the boy's hand, placing the cone into his grip. She tightly squeezed his hand in order to tell him to not drop his cone again. She ruffled his hair and patted him on his back. The boy ran off with a huge smile on his face, ice cream in hand after bowing to the magical fairy noona.

"I can buy you another ice cream if you want." Suho said a bit guiltily as Chorong guided him to another location in the park.

"It's okay, it's too cold for ice cream anyways."

"Then doesn't that just make me the odd one?" He playfully joked, holding up his cone.

"Why yes, yes it does." 

"You're so blunt." Suho laughed. 

They took a long walk on the park trail before Chorong went off the trail and led him to an area hidden behind some trees and shrubs.

"Daebak." Chorong smiled at the response and kneeled down to touch the jasmine flowers. The unique fragrance lingered in their noses.

"It's too bad. We should come again next time when the jasmines are faring in better weather. Right now isn't exactly the best period for them, especially with the cold." 

"Did you plant them?" Suho asked as she began to observe every single flower.

"Nope, I just so happened to find them when I was walking off the trail."

"Were you wandering around with Eunji? I can totally imagine that in my head." He chuckled as his mind reenacted what the two could have possibly done to get so off track to find an area filled with jasmine flowers.

"Actually, I wandered on my own... I was kind of allured to the smell. It calms my senses down." Chorong sheepishly wrote down. 

"So I'm the first one you've invited to your secret garden?" Suho smiled brightly.

"Well, it's not even my garden and definitely can't be secretive if there's an owner." Chorong pointed out. "But I guess it was my secret garden." Her lips curved upward and she continued to smell the fragrance of the jasmines, and Suho began to enjoy the aroma as well.

"Any plans now that you've been expelled? Or, I can go ahead and get some people to help me plan something out and get you back into-"

Chorong shook her head and quickly scribbled onto her notepad. "Probably going to go for Jeguk High with the others, and you really shouldn't do anything. I've been thinking about it, and I think it's just best to leave the situation as it is. Who knows what God has planned for us to do later on. I'm tired. I just want to sit back and relax, go with the flow."

Suho nodded in understanding. "School's going to be a tiny bit more empty without all of the scholarship students."

"Our hearts are emptier than those seats we once filled." Chorong calmly wrote in response, the expulsion was bittersweet. 

At the very least... I'm happy.

 


A/N: Well this chapter is definitely lacking in my opinion. Next chapter will focus on what Baekhyun/Eunji  are doing and then school issues that occur after the expulsion. This is just to show more that:

1) scholarship students are now officially bffs. legit. their bonds are like this *crosses fingers*

2) chorong and suho's relationship as friends has finally been solidified. she trusts him completely and isn't as closed in about her feelings anymore. it's still going to be a process though, poor girl's been scarred. 

12/10/14 update: no school tmr due to weather precautions, the first time for me. lol, like seriously in my area it's either never happened or hasn't happened in a longgg time.