Deathbeds

Without Knowing It All

Song Suggestion: I Need You- 김성규 (Kim Sunggyu) of Infinite


Apprehensive.

 
Fidgety.
 
Restless.
 
That was all Chorong could sense in Suho as she walked and talked with him. It was his little gestures that made all the difference. He would constantly tap his fingers on the desk, he couldn't seem to stay still on a seat before shifting into another position, and he always looked... blank.
 
After having been back at school for a month now, nothing seemed right. 
 
Suho sighed as he fiddled with his phone, staring at that one date. February 1st. 
 
"You really have been out of it for the past month. There were only tiny little tweaks to your attitude at first, but it's been growing worse ever since this week started." Chorong jabbed Suho as he continued to look at his phone for the nth time. It was a Friday and he was still acting suspicious.
 
She entered her passcode before turning back around to listen to his reply.
 
"Are you busy tomorrow?" He looked at her with a piercing gaze, making Chorong feel a bit perturbed.
 
"No, other than the fact that I'll be reading and studying. A couple of dramas and variety shows too. Why?" He shifted nervously while kicking his feet.
 
He stared at her with his mouth in a thin line before speaking. "I'll come by at ten."
 
Suho attempted to move his lips up, but the smile was weak and it barely showed. 
 
Chorong hesitated before giving him a tiny nod as a 'yes'. 

"I was planning to go to the movie theaters tomorrow. Want to come with me?" Eunji mindlessly stared at the TV as they watched drama reruns.

"Can't, I'm doing something tomorrow."

The pair of eyes which were glued to the TV were torn away in an instant.

"Wait what? You're kidding me right? You have something to do?"

Chorong glared at Eunji and slapped her arm.

"Oww. Are you sure you don't mean something to do translates to 'I'm going to the library to read and study' business?" Eunji questioned.

"No, it is not the equivalent." 

Eunji's eyes widened and she leaned her face towards Chorong's.

"What are you doing?" 

"I'm not telling. Now go make yourself busy and ask Baekhyun to go to the movies with you or something." She used her notepad to push Eunji's face away.

Eunji scowled and replied, "I did, since he always begs for me to go with him to watch a movie, but this time, he actually had the nerve to reje- I mean, decline the offer. Said he had something to do tomorrow, just like you. All of you guys have been odd. I sometimes feel that sadlflaj-"

Chorong smirked as she stuffed a dumpling into Eunji's open mouth. 

"Don't talk while you're eating."


Chorong stared at the clock on her wall as it ticked away. 

She restlessly tapped her fingers on the smooth counter top and grew a little startled when she heard the doorbell ring. 

Rushing towards the door, Chorong cracked it open slowly and watched as Suho's figure was revealed.

And well, Suho looked terrible. He wore a thick dark overcoat, but a white shirt paired with a black tie that barely peeked through. The dark circles under his eyes managed to perfectly complete his look.

Chorong stared at him for a long while in silence as she thought about how casual she had dressed with jeans and a sweater.

"Wait a minute. Or two... just less than 5." 

In three minutes, Chorong came back out wearing a white sweater with a black peter pan collar paired with leggings under a black skater skirt. Before leaving her house, she grabbed a white coat and slipped into a pair of black hightops. She wanted to match Suho's color combinations.

"I'm done. Let's go." 

Suho nodded at Chorong and they walked out of the apartment building together. Leading the way, Suho eventually brought Chorong to a flower shop not far off from her apartment. In awe, she stared at the delicate petals of all of the flowers and through the different types of leaves and such. She watched as Suho naturally seemed to gravitate towards the sections of roses.

He picked up a blooming bouquet of white roses, as opposed to the normally favored pink and red ones.

Without questioning his choice, she followed him as he went to the cash register to pay for the flowers.

"Can I also get a single white rose as well?"

The shop ahjumma nodded and wrapped a single, fresh white rose. 

Walking out of the shop, Chorong followed behind Suho, attempting to grasp the whole situation. Formal wear and flowers?

"You've got to be kidding me." Chorong stared at the sleek white car in awe as Suho opened the door for her. 

"Well, I can't really avoid the fact that I'm, ahem, rich." He sighed as he went over to the drivers seat. 

"One question before you start driving." Chorong poked at him. "Why do you walk if you have a car and you can drive?"

"Please, I live way too close to school to drive. I'd be wasting gas, plus the student drivers in Seoul High are terrible. I bet they pay their way to pass their driving tests."

"Oh... makes sense. But why didn't you have your car at my apartment complex instead of in the street?"

Suho shrugged his shoulders. "I wanted to walk. Plus, it would be a funny surprise."

Chorong crinkled her nose and gave him a stare as he began to drive. She cranked up the radio to alleviate the silence since they couldn't communicate, but every now and then, Suho would randomly break into song if a familiar tune began to play and she would make little hand gestures to follow the beats of the music.

After roughly 45 minutes, Suho parked the car and got out quickly to open the passenger seat door for Chorong.

While observing Suho, she noticed that his face was dark and stiff. He wordlessly led Chorong along a pathway, dragging his feet, his shoulders drooping.

It wasn't long before the two reached their destination. The grave seemed familiar but all too distant at the same time. It had only been a year since her death, but it seemed like she had been gone for years.

He placed the white bouquet of flowers next to the gravestone and began to bow. There were 5 other single white roses on the gravestone as well, and Suho couldn't help but smile because he was touched. The EXO-K members hadn't failed to pay respects to their best friend's mom. 

Chorong promptly went next to Suho and she bowed as well. After the bowing, she began to read the words engraved on the huge stone.

Kim Jihyun

A loving wife and mother, who fought a good fight.

On it was also a picture of Suho's mom. She looked very feminine and gave off a warm feeling as her smile in the picture looked genuine. The fine lines around her eyes and smile lines emphasized how happy of a person she must have been. Suho's resemblance to his mother was great, the same bigs eyes and full lips.

Noticing the shock on Chorong's face, Suho began to silently whisper to her.

"She fought a good fight against leukemia."

Chorong felt her lips part but she then remembered she couldn't talk. She delicately placed her hand on his shoulder to comfort him instead.

"Mom loved white roses. People always seem to find charm in pink and red roses, but she loved the white ones instead. They represented her. Her innocence even though she was a grown woman, her purity, and most of all: her optimism for the future. The white flowers were always beside her bed, because they gave her a glimmer of hope." The tremble of his lips as he spoke never failed to make Chorong feel even worse.

 

And he finally broke down. 

Joon Myun crouched onto the grassy grave site and began to cry. Chorong kneeled down and started to lightly pat his back, worried at the pitiful and vulnerable state he was in. It wasn't before long she wrapped her arms around him, and he began sob even harder to the point of hiccuping. Eventually, he buried his head in her embrace, and she placed her head on his shoulder, silenty shedding tears for him.

"Right now it's going to hurt like crazy, but if you endure and wait, everything's going to pass. The only pain left behind will be the scar in your heart. I promise." She looked up to Joon Myun with big, glistening eyes

Joon Myun listlessly stared at Chorong's notepad.

"I've been through this, but with both parents. At the age of ten. I basically saw them die with my own eyes."

The sharp pang in his heart made him feel guilty. There he was, crying like a baby, when the little girl who had lost both her parents looked perfectly calm and collected.

Noticing the wince of guilt, Chorong scribbled. "Don't you dare feel bad. Pain can't ever be compared based on different experiences."

Before she knew it, Joon Myun abruptly grabbed onto her shoulders and violently pulled her body close next to his.

"You're here." He attempted to sound menacing, but his words ended up sounding weak.

"Of course I'm here." His father glanced at Chorong and noticed all the flowers by the gravestone. "It's nice of your friends to stop by to respect your mom. She'd appreciate it."

Joon Myun glanced at the red bouquet of roses his father was holding and rolled his eyes, biting his lip to prevent himself from going into a rampage.

That didn't do it.

"You disgust me dad."

Those four words sent waves of shock to both his dad and Chorong. Chorong's gaped at the words and she tugged on his sleeve while glaring at him frantically. 

His dad's head dropped; he was staring at the ground in shame.

Joon Myun walked over to his father and pulled the bouquet out his hands, shouting, "You ignorant fool, she liked white!"

He slammed the bouquet back to his father's chest and furiously walked away, grabbing Chorong's hand as she bowed to Mr. Kim.

Joon Myun ran his fingers through his hair, exasperated, and he slammed his hands onto the steering wheel. Chorong began to pat his arm in order to calm him down.

"Why'd you act like that? That's not normal for you."

He looked extremely irritated and sighed.

"Why red ing roses?" He cursed out loud. "She likes the white ones but I guess you never caught onto that, did you dad. Because you were never ing there." He growled with a deep voice.

Chorong instinctively pressed both her hands onto Suho's cheeks and pulled his head towards her. As soon as she got his attention, she held up her notepad.

"Calm down and explain everything."  She looked at him with sympathetic puppy eyes and put her hand on his cheek. 

"We were supposed to leave Korea to America together, as a whole family. Initially, we only planned to go there for a couple of years then come back to Korea. The trip was a whole lot longer than expected.

You see, dad never left for America with us. He made a last minute decision to stay in Korea to watch and care for his business. Mom didn't mind that. She just accepted it and trusted him, taking only me with her to America. 

By the time I was 15, dad only had a habit of visiting us once a year on mom's birthday. He said that coming during holidays like Christmas were the busiest times the company would need him, so he couldn't leave his place for even a second. We were supposed to leave back for Korea when I was 15, but we ended up staying until I was 17. When I was 15, that was when we found out she had leukemia. My mom and I stayed in America for its advanced treatments. But nothing worked. She died a slow and painful death. What hurt her the most wasn't the pain of chemotherapy or the constant fevers with fatigue, it was the hole that was left in her heart. The loneliness that prowled by her bedside every single day and night. He wasn't there for her in her needy times. The last time my dad would ever see my mom was when the heart rate monitor went into a long and agonizing 'beep.' That was it. He never saw those white roses she kept by her because they signified hope for the future, he never listened to those prayers she would send up to God for the success of his business and not for her health, he would never see her frail body, the beauty that was once instilled in her was gone. All of those forced smiles, the silent tears. Everything."

Chorong stared at Joon Myun as he was reminiscing the torment his mom received as she was alone.

"You know what's funny? Mom's prayers for dad's successful business were answered. Yet she never prayed for herself."

The two sat in the car in silence, but it wasn't long after until Chorong opened the car door. Confused, Joon Myun followed her out.

"Where are you going?"

"Just follow me." She spun back around after showing him the notepad and walked a path of nostalgic steps.

Joon Myun watched as they arrived to the columbarium section.

"I miss them." Joon Myun stared at Chorong's fingers as they graced the glass window, dancing on its surface. A family portrait stood in the middle of the two urns.

Afterwards, Chorong went and stood next to the emotional mess.

"Why didn't you tell me your parents were here too?"

Chorong shrugged her shoulders. "Well, I didn't even know we were coming here, and I never really got a chance to. On the other hand, focus on yourself right now. You at least understand that your dad wasn't the cause of your mom's death, that was the fault of nature's. Did your dad love your mom?"

He paused for a moment and remembered all of the times he was by his mom's bedside. It was like magic, the way she turned into a giddy little teenager as she described how she and her husband acted together when they were young. Just the memories made her smile like a love-sick fool. He thought of the way his father would smile to himself stupidly as well whenever they talked about mom and how despite his lack of physical presence, he would always be the first to call his wife once a day, albeit even if the conversation lasted just for a few minutes.

He nodded at Chorong's question like a little child. "Yes."

"My dad couldn't escape death, but my mom wanted death to come and capture her. Your mom couldn't escape death, but your dad made a choice to live on."

"What are you trying to point out?" Joon Myun questioned.

"I love my parents, but I do have to point out it was selfish of my mom to leave me. She had a choice and she decided to die. You know what I think? Your dad probably wanted to die at one point too. Maybe he wanted to die too, after his partner left him and he couldn't even properly say goodbye. I'm not trying to justify his actions because leaving his family alone for his business is foolish, but he chose to live with the pain of your mom's passing at heart. He decided to deal with the pain and agony in his heart every day. Can you guess why?"

"Money? I don't know." Joon Myun muttered bitterly. 

"No. He's only living for you. For his son. That's the only reason why he continues to go on even with your cold attitude. You're pretty much the only one left that he should bother caring for. You're literally the only part of his love left."

Joon Myun's quiescence proved that her words were having an affect on him. "Not possible."

"You can think about it as you drive me back home." Chorong slid her arm into his and dragged him back to the car.


"Here, I forgot to give this to you." Suho handed Chorong the single white rose he had purchased.

"For me... why?" She gave him a puzzled look.

"A white rose, it's like you. It represents innocence, purity, and hope for the future."


A/N: Please upvote, comment, and subscribe!! <33 

1/2/15 update: 2 more chapters to edit! yipee!