Miracles in December

Without Knowing It All

Song suggestion: With You- B.A.P.


"Well this is weird..." Eunji muttered under her breath as the family began to dig into the mountains of food on the table. Her mother had insisted on the boys eating with them before leaving after their little adventures.

Baekhyun and Suho awkwardly chuckled and looked at each other, avoiding the piercing gaze of Mr. Jung. They couldn't shake off the words he had spoken to them back to the first time they met. (reference to ch. 15)

"Uncle, aunt, eat some more!" Suho attempted to ease the tension. He moved his chopsticks and gave a piece of chicken feet to both parents.

Mrs. Jung smiled while Mr. Jung grunted. Baekhyun pinched Suho, thinking he had somehow made the wrong move. 

"You know, Chorong's favorite is actually chicken feet." Mr. Jung cleared his throat and passed his chicken foot to Chorong's bowl, his wife following in suit.

Suho sighed a breath of relief and smiled. "Well, I guess I just learned something new today."


"You know what I just realized? I know, what I assume, is most of your past. Yet, I don't even know the basics like what food you like, what color you like, stuff like that." Suho sighed as he stood in front of Chorong's home.

Chorong entered her passcode and opened the door slightly, walking into the house. She bowed before closing the door on Suho. He sighed and turned around to leave, until he heard the door squeak back open and close in an instant.

"You'll eventually learn everything. It will all take time."

He smiled at the post-it on the door and took it down, folding it and putting it into his pocket. His phone began to ring, signalling a video call.

"What's up guys?"

"We heard what happened." Kris sighed before the other members began to chit chat as well.

"I want to talk with the others! They must feel terrible." Tao shook his head and rubbed his temples.

"I think they're okay. They have a bright future ahead of them, so bright that we just can't see it right now because of how blinding it is." Suho joked in order to be more light-hearted. The six on the line could only roll their eyes.


The week before winter break began was busy, busy, busy. The news of the scholarship students having been expelled from the school spread as quick as the speed of light, and while some were delighted, others were unimpressed with the way the school handled the affair. There was a minority that believed the school was too harsh with the punishment.

Certain teachers who were close to the 25 voiced out their opinions against the decision, especially Mr. Kwak and Mrs. Lee. Both lost their cool in front of the principal and administration, fierce with their arguments against the biased judgment.

"You know what Principal Kim? You disgust me. There, I said it. I said something that probably no one else has the balls to say." Mrs. Lee glared at him as he rolled his eyes. Mr. Kwak agreed and backed Mrs. Lee up.

"You pulled something didn't you? With that smug of a look I'm pretty sure you did." 

"Both of you are the best teachers I've ever had at my school. I could easily let go of you guys right now, but you guys are too loved by the students. Oh, the difficulties of being a fair principal. If you guys were teachers that were just the slightest bit worst, I would've gotten rid of you guys in an instant. But, let's play this game."

"Game?" Mrs. Lee and Mr. Kwak exchanged glances.

"You two aren't looking very favorable in my eyes right now. Fighting against me is seriously damaging to both of you guys, a huge disadvantage in fact."

"My personal advantage or loss is not part of my consideration. What I consider is whether or not people in need are being helped, and right now, my students need help.”

No matter how much they voiced their thoughts, nothing got across the brains of the authority. The loss was inevitable.

As for the scholarship students, they were told to apply to Jeguk after winter break, as that was when a new quarter would begin. All gladly accepted, knowing the school seemed willing to readily accept all 25. They were going to stick together no matter what.

"This Christmas will be the best one all of us will ever have!" Eunji showed off her pearly whites as EXO-K and the ex-scholarship students walked together on the cold streets of Seoul together. They had all decided to gather together to shop for some supplies to have a Christmas party at the park.

"It'll be freezing outside." Namjoon sighed. "It's supposed to snow soon, and the temperature's been dropping."

"Stop being a little sissy and just wear a bunch of layers." Hayoung rolled her eyes.

"We have to have chicken at the party. We can do preorders!" Jinki excitedly announced.

Kibum sighed. "You can go ahead and do that."

Before they knew it, the 25th of December managed to roll around quickly. All of them gathered at the park, excited to spend the holidays together.

"Daebak!" Everybody decided on a potluck, and an assortment of food was laid out on the blanket covering the grass.

"How about we all give out the gifts first before we go ahead and eat?" The students nodded and they began to hand out their individual presents to everyone. EXO-K had things prepared for the ex-scholarship students as well.

"Merry Christmas!" Suho smiled and handed a box to Chorong. She bowed and shyly took the gift, running away to hand out her presents to others instead.

Don't tell me she didn't get me anything? Suho scratched his head. 

"I WANT TO EAT!" Seokjin complained.

"Well, let's eat then!" Bomi dragged everyone over around the food and the plates were stacked high.

"Cheers to us!" Suho held out his cup of soda and everyone else raised their cups as well.

"Everything can only get better from here, hopefully." Jungkook commented.

"What the heck?" Eunji muttered. An unknown number was calling her phone.

The others curiously stared at her as she answered her phone. "Hello?"

As Eunji began to listen to the other line, wisps of wind blew in the air and Chorong felt something land on her face. The first snow. She held out her hand as snowflakes began to slowly drift from the sky. The others began to jokingly open their mouths to eat the falling snow.

"Excuse me? Is this a joke?" Eunji's eyes widened. "Okay, I will. Thank you for your time."

"Who was that? You look really jittery." Baekhyun nudged her as she spaced out.

"That was the school."

The others looked at Eunji in alarm. What would they want in the middle of winter break on Christmas day?

"They said they're repealing the expulsion, and we're welcome to go back to school right after break. We'll be expected at the principal's office when we get back the first day before school starts."

The first snowfall suddenly didn't feel like such a joyous occasion anymore. The snow continued to drift down, falling onto their heads and sticking onto their clothes and hair. Everyone was mindlessly pondering, pondering about the sudden call. Why did they suddenly change their minds about the expulsion? And why did they only call Eunji to inform her at that? 

"We should go back." Jonghyun silently whispered. "I don't know their reasons why, but we can't let this opportunity slip past our hands. I know this sounds selfish of me to say, but I think I'm speaking for everyone. My parents didn't take the expulsion easily, and they still haven't let it go. Their poor son, accepted into the top high school on a coveted scholarship, giving him a chance to enter one of the S.K.Y. universities, but he blew it all for a silly battle of pride against the school."

"My parents would be delighted if I told them that I could go back." Bomi agreed with Jonghyun. "My dad had to stop my mom from slapping me in the face. She raised me to be smart, yet I apparently blew my chances."

"But the bullying..." Minho softly whispered. "I worry about what will happen later on. I've heard that we've been the of jokes ever since we've left."

"How about you guys take the rest of the break to think about it? You guys can just decide whether or not to come back the day before school starts. Come on guys, it's Christmas. Let's just have fun for the rest of the night and enjoy the time we're spending together." Kyungsoo suggested.

The rest of the night was spent with nothing but sounds of chewing and sipping. Everyone was tense, deep in thought over the offer to go back.

"On this afternoon where the first snow is falling. If only I could call you, I’d be so happy." Kyunsoo began to sing in order to alleviate the silence. Jongin began to join in with his unique vocal color, and everyone else began to join in to sing to 첫 눈 (The First Snow).

A year has already passed but I’m still not over you
So I talk to myself, “I’m lonely”

(Turn back the clock) if only I could go back one year
(Turn back my heart) would we be different now?
Yeah, it’s a stupid thought, but still, what if

If I met you, would tears rise up?
The foolish me wouldn’t be able to say anything
Tell me, Merry Merry Christmas, hi, how have you been?
When the snow falls, would my bruised heart get covered whitely?

I’m sorry I didn’t treat you well
That Christmas I was only filled with regrets

I walked alone on a street filled with lights, everyone looks happy
I used to think you would always be there like air
But I foolishly let you go, I’m so sorry

(Such a typical story) After time passed, the fact that you’re so precious
(It always passes by) Why didn’t I know back then?
I want to tell you that it’s different now

If I met you, would tears rise up?
The foolish me wouldn’t be able to say anything
Tell me, Merry Merry Christmas, hi, how have you been?
When the snow falls, would my bruised heart get covered whitely?

Is it tears or is it because of the snow?
That Christmas, I kept seeing you get farther away

It’s so strange, just thinking of you makes tears fall
Tears are falling falling falling
I want to go back to you
I can do anything
Even if all of my life till now disappears girl

If I met you, would tears rise up?
The foolish me wouldn’t be able to say anything
Tell me, Merry Merry Christmas, hi, how have you been? Baby girl
When the snow falls, would my bruised heart get covered whitely?

I’m sorry I didn’t treat you well
I was only filled with regrets

If I met you, would tears rise up? (tears rise up)
Can’t say anything (I can’t say anything)
Tell me, Merry Merry Christmas, hi, how have you been?
When the snow falls, would my bruised heart get covered whitely?

Is it tears or is it because of the snow?
That Christmas, I kept seeing you get farther away

After the song, everyone began to laugh, making fun of each other's singing voices. The song was bittersweet, summing up their mixed feelings. Those regretful and longing lyrics, paired with such a charming instrumental.

"You're voice kept on cracking." Jimin poked fun at Jinki.

"You couldn't even reach the high notes!" He accused.

"It's already really late." Hyejeong noted as she checked on her phone. "I've got to go back home now, my family wanted to at least spend a little bit of Christmas day with me. Let's go Chanmi!"

"I think we all need to get going. Bye!" Chanmi waved and got up as well. Slowly, everybody spread apart and went home respectively.

Like the usual, Suho walked Chorong home and Baekhyun with Eunji. Eunji and Baekhyun had left first while the other two lagged behind.

"What do you think I should do?" Chorong pointed her notepad at Suho as they walked through the cold, snowy weather.

"You've never been one to take another's opinion into consideration, why now?"

"Because I don't know what to do obviously... I think the school has some hitch or motive behind the random call."

"But consider this, the timing was just so... perfect, in a sense. All of you guys were gathered together and it just so happened to snow at that very second. I would consider going back. I can guarantee not everyone's against you guys anymore. I know some people actually had the heart to feel sorry."

"It'll be hard to go back. All of those terrible memories I was readily willing to let go of, but now they are resurfacing. I'm literally on the brink of breaking down. Aish, I'm going crazy at this rate!" She slapped her cheeks with her hands and furiously shook her head.

"It's times like these I wish I could speak... I would be able to let everything out just by yelling at the top of my lungs like everyone else, but I'm not like everyone else. It's odd, but I've always wanted to see what my voice would sound like. I want to sound pretty like those other girls, or be able to sing like Eunji."

Suho thought for a moment before patting Chorong's shoulders and the top of her head. "You have a lot of snow on you." He wanted to get her mind off the topic. Christmas was meant to be a day of joy, not a day to sulk and frown.

"You do too." She gently pushed the snow off his head before crazily ruffling his hair.

"Yah! That's not fair!" He picked up some snow on the floor and formed a snowball.

"Try me." Chorong glared. "I have fast reflexes."

 

Suho sneezed as he sipped on his hot chocolate. He rubbed his red nose and shivered. 

"You definitely shouldn't have messed with me." Chorong smirked as she cleaned off Suho's snow-covered coat. She ruffled his hair jokingly.

He crinkled his nose before his phone beeped. He looked at the text message and frowned.

"You should probably get going, especially if your parents are expecting you."

"Yeah, I need to go." Suho got up to grab his clean coat and put on his shoes. "Bye, and merry Christmas!"

Chorong gently tugged on his arm. "Here... Merry Christmas ^^"

She handed him a neatly wrapped box with a beautiful red bow on top.

"And I thought you forgot to get me a present too." The smile on Suho's face was irreplacable, he looked like a goofy little child.

Chorong put an envelope into his coat pocket as well.

"Wow, a card too?" He scratched the back of his head. 

She nodded and made a hand gesture for him to leave quickly. "I don't want your parents to wait."

He went out the door and Chorong poked her head out to watch him leave.

"By the way, it's only my dad that's waiting."


A/N: #pplneedtostopbeingdelulu 

12/23/14 update: Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays! ^^