Chapter 8- Call

Fidelity

She had a rather pathetic smile on her face. She wanted to push it but she knows that if she pushes it, Amber will get pissed. The scene she stumbled upon two nights ago was really controversial. Sulli was pleasantly surprised with what she saw since she had no idea that the two knew each other. It all made sense somehow when she remembered that the two were hostile when she was first there. Sulli was not sure whether or not something is or was going on but one thing is clear, Amber and Key were close considering the amount of skinship they had that stormy night.

"Eonni.."

"I know that tone, Ssul.. What?"

"Ummm.."

"Don't even dare ask!" Amber said ahead. The two of them were sharing breakfast since Amber has class that day while Sulli was on a break but is planning to go to some studios to send in her portfolio on styling.

"It's not about that, idiot! I know how much you hate talking about personal matters, right? I have a favor to ask you.."

"Favor? What favor?"

Sulli played and fiddled with her fingers. Amber knew that it was something big and burdensome. It's just that Sulli is too shy to ask about it.

"Spit it!"

"Fine.. I plan to expand my portfolio. Until now, I've been limited in styling extremely feminine women. I was wondering if you can pose for a few shots for me? Nothing too girly. You'll be wearing pants and shorts but not too short.. Please?"

"No! I am out of this fashion thing. Have you ever seen me wear with such style? I am a completely laid back person when it comes to clothing!"

Amber refused so Sulli used her trump card. She clung unto Amber's arm and pouted like a little kid. She has done it several times on Amber. Hoping to learn from previous situations, Amber tried her best to resist but to no avail, she eventually gave in and agreed to do the shoot.

"Fine! When and where is it?"

"That's kind of a problem too. A close friend of mine from high school, Jieun? She's out of the country right now and I have no one to shoot with. I was wondering, maybe you can contact Key oppa? Ask if he has some connections??"

Upon hearing Key's name, Amber rolled her eyes, placed her plate on the sink, gathered her things and started to walk out the door. What happened two nights ago still baffles on her on why in the world she even agreed to let Key touch her like that. Let alone, they even slept on the same bed. Amber brushed the memory off of her mind and bid Sulli farewell. Exams are coming and spring break will begin in a week or so. She plans to go to Jeju-do for three days or so for some well deserved rest.

With Amber gone to academy, Sulli is left alone to work on some calls. She needs to build her portfolio. She went to three designers and two photographers for the past two days with no progress. It's a hunch on her part that perhaps they see her work as limited. That is the exact reason she wishes to work on styling some male models. As she scanned through some contacts, Taemin crossed her mind. It's been more than a month since they last broke up and it's been the longest they weren't together. She enjoys the freedom but somehow she misses the fun she shares with the boy. He was a jerk but he was fun and sweet.

"No! No, Sulli.. You must not think of him."

It crossed her mind that Taemin could actually help her with this endeavor. The guy is good looking after all.

"Sulli-yah! Stop!" She shouted at herself. Sulli then closed her portfolio and reached for her phone. 

"Hello? Oppa? Are you busy? Can we meet? All right.. See you in a few."

A short 20 minute bath, make up and dress up.. And Sulli was off.


The past two days have been rainy which made the entire mood a tad up and down. Krystal and Minho weren't able to spend a night at Ulsan. By the time they arrived at the hotel and was about to book a room, Krystal received a call from her team and told her that she has to come back to Seoul as soon as possible since she was offered several modeling jobs for different designers. With disappointed hearts, the couple headed back that exact night even if it was traffic.

What made matters worse was that the head of the agency personally told Minho to assist Krystal since they had to send off the other staff to different locations to assist their other talents. As the husband, Minho feels happy to be able to help his wife but the situation wasn't entirely ideal. People are giving him stares as if he looks like a fool waiting and watching out for his wife.

"Oppa, water please?" Krystal asked as she was on a 5-minute break.

"Oppa..Water?"

"Sorry.."

Krystal took a sip and continued fanning herself. It was a bit warm that day and she had to model layers and layers of clothes for an early shoot of winter clothing to be released later that year. As mentioned, Krystal's schedule has become really packed the moment she announced her comeback.

"You feeling all right?"

"Yeah. It's just that these wool sweaters are really warm. It's making me sweat a bit but it's fine. I can manage."

Soon enough, as Minho wiped Krystal's sweat and handed his wife the water. The moment Krystal left, the other models on set started giggling as they looked at Minho. He can clearly hear what they were talking about but instead chose to not mind them and get angry. It will be pointless to cause a fuss, anyway. However, they went on and on.

"Gosh, being his wife's chaperone the only great thing that guy can do."

"I know! Look at him.. Holding a water bottle and has a girl's bag hanging on his shoulder. How pitiful though.. He can never make it big."

Minho clenched his fists and lightly bit his lower lips. He was getting furious, to be honest but he might as well not do it. He might as well not fight. Not just for his wife but for himself as well. He is hopeful that Key will choose him to be his male muse for the line. He knows he has a chance even if he was against Siwan and another model. 

The photoshoot ended but Minho remained quiet the entire time. Krystal wondered if something was wrong so she asked but her husband insisted nothing was wrong. He even shrugged his shoulders and raised his eyebrows as if wondering what in the world was Krystal was talking about.

"I am just really curious. You look pissed or something."

"I'll be fine. Come.. Get dressed and let's go home."

And Krystal did. She rushed her footsteps in and out of the dressing room. Minho doesn't necessarily have anything special planned but it's been some time since the two of them shared a korean meal at home. The two of them tend to dine out on Italian or Spanish restaurants since the two of them enjoyed both cuisines. As the two of them were driving along on their way home, Krystal noticed that Minho's been oddly quiet once afternoon came that day. Bothered by her speculations, she decided to ask him anyway.

"Did something happen on set today?"

"Nothing."

"Come on, oppa. You've been oddly since this afternoon. Something is bothering you, right?"

"I'm fine. Some of the models were annoying just annoying."

"Then tell me what happened."

"No."

"No?! Oppa.. How can I even help you?"

"I told you, I'm fine. So don't ask. Cut it!"

Krystal growled in disbelief. The moment they arrived home the two went their separate ways. Krystal went upstairs to their room while Minho buried himself in their sofa. A homey dinner turned into a mental fist fight between the two of them. Which is definitely, not good.

 

 


 

Sulli hurried on her way to a small cafe in Gangnam. It was a bit expensive on her part but the person she will meet insisted it was fine. It'll be his treat. She went off on the street just opposite the cafe. Once she stepped foot into the cafe, the aroma of roasted coffee beans filled her nostrils. The scent of sprayed cinnamon and chocolate were not far from where she was. The sound of blenders crushing ice also resonated inside a rather quiet cafe. She looked around hoping to see the person she intended to meet. She looked near the counter, none. She looked at the smoking area outside but he wasn't there. She turned around to face near the windows and that's where she found him.

"Oppa!"

The man waved and patted the seat just beside him. 

"Sorry, it was a little traffic."

"It's fine? Have you ordered anything? Order up. My treat.."

Sulli clapped in delight and ran to the counter to drink. The place was really expensive and there is in no way she will refuse the offer to buy food. In exchange for the treat, Sulli was the one that ordered the food directly on the counter. She looked at the menu and was a bit overwhelmed at the prices. She even dared question that is it even possible for coffee and cakes to be priced as such.

"I bought us hot coffee since it's a bit cold today."

"All right.. By the way, how have you been? Why did you call? If you're planning to talk about what you saw two nights ago I'll be leaving. Amber best tell you what happened."

Key was about to stand on his seat but Sulli grabbed him by the wrist and insisted it wasn't about that. And true enough, it wasn't about Amber or anything related to the two of them.

"It's not about Amber eonni or anything related to the two of you.. I called because, I have a favor to ask of you.."

"Favor?"

"You see.." Again Sulli did her habit of fiddling with her fingers which annoyed Key.

"Spit it out!"

"All right.. all right! Geez, can't I get a break here? Anyways, I was wondering whether or not you can help me find a male model for my portfolio. I am planning to  build it so that I can work with a lot more designers. So far, I only have pretty girls and feminine girls. I actually plan to recruit Amber eonni as well for a few shots. She hasn't agreed entirely but I am sure she'll do it. Also, I need a photographer. Can you help me?"

Key didn't really listen to the remainder of the sentence after hearing what Sulli plans to do with Amber. Upon hearing the girl's name, his ears already ticked. It was a no brainer that he will help.

"I can help you. You should've said sooner. In fact, I'll be calling in my male muse tomorrow or maybe even tonight. If you want, I can offer you the job as one of the stylists for the first campaign we'll be working on. It won't be a lot of photographs, though. But I am sure it can help.. I'll let you do it as long as you let me see Amber as you shoot some photos of her. I'll take care of the photographer. Deal?"

"Deal!"

It was almost five when Sulli left the cafe and the sky was already turning orange. She was headed back home but stopped in her steps when she noticed something at a restaurant a street away from where she was standing. Slowly, as her breaths were getting slower and heavier she looked carefully through the glass. She can't be mistaken. She knew she had 20/20 vision so there was in no way she will be mistaken on who the person was. It was Taemin.

Taemin was with someone, a girl. What was surprising was it wasn't Son Naeun. She doesn't really care where the girl has run off to but Taemin sure seems to be doing fine. He and the girl are quiet intimate. They touch each other's hands, offer each other's mouths food.. It appeared to be what a typical date is all about. And though she says she doesn't want to mind, Sulli felt an ache in her heart. Tears were already verging in her eyes so before he even sees her spying through the window, Sulli ran off to go back home.

She has started crying even before she reached the front door. She didn't mind crying since Amber texted her earlier that day she won't be going home since they'll be assigned somewhere just a little outside of Seoul bordering Incheon. It wasn't far but Sulli will be alone for the night.

The clock has struck 9 and Sulli was alone in the apartment, drinking a bottle of beer on the living room couch. Who was she joking that she won't be affected by Taemin anymore? Heck, he was her first boyfriend. She felt all the butterflies in her stomach with him. She felt how fast her heart would beat just by seeing him from afar. She was madly in love with him. But the guy was a jerk.. She had to learn to let go but it is more than clear she is having difficulty in doing so.

She grabbed her phone and dialled someone's number. She is not sure whether or not that person is busy but she just needs to talk to someone.

"Hello?" Sulli said. No one spoke through the other line. Sulli was about to put the phone down but finally heard someone speak.

"Chingu-ya.."

Slowly, Sulli raised the phone back to her ears. Hearing her friend's voice over the line made her remember the brief conversation they shared the first night they met. He has a deep, manly voice to him which somehow helped her relax.

"I am sorry for calling at such an hour. You must be busy.."

"No, it's fine. I am just here sitting by the dining table, enjoying a bottle of wine. And you?"

Sulli can't help but giggle. The two of them were practically drinking over bottles of alcoholic beverages again. She mentioned it to Chingu which made him laugh as well. It was very coincidental but highly ironic on their part.

"Chingu-ya?" he said over the line.

"Hmm?"

"It's my first time talking to you again. We'd just communicate by messaging all this time."

The statement made Sulli blush up over the thought. Truly, it's their first time talking over the phone like this. She never dared call him first since she didn't want to appear clingy or a tad desperate to talk to someone.

"Is something bothering you?"

"In a way, yes.."

"What is it then?"

Sulli took a deep breath. "I saw him today. Remember I told you that I broke up with him? I thought I will be just fine.. Truth be told, I am.. I get to enjoy my work a lot better. I get to go places I've never been to before. It's crazy fun.. But I saw him today and when I thought I'll get by without feeling anything. I didn't. It hurts to see him have fun with another woman so quickly."

Sulli failed to notice that she has already started sobbing. Chingu heard it clearly over the phone and just listened. He stood from his seat and went to the small garden they had that was facing the dining area. 

"You'll waste your pretty face if you keep crying."

"Huh?"

"Actually, I came into a quarrel with someone today and we haven't really made up yet. It's my fault to be honest but it's just that I don't want things to get out of hand. Pride can get in my way to be honest. But please, stop crying. I haven't really seen your face under the mask but don't let that pretty face of yours go to waste. And to tell you the truth, it makes me happy that you called me. I knew we talked through messages and all that but somehow you calling me validated our connection. It helps. Really though, thank you."

Sulli stopped sobbing, wiped away the tears and smiled. Talking to Chingu surely helped her. The two of them started talking about random things like what food the other likes or what television show each enjoys. Their conversation went on for almost an hour before Sulli felt her eyes get heavy from sleepyness and from all the crying she did.

"Chingu..I am getting really sleepy. I think I should go."

"I see.. All right then."

"Thank you."

"Your welcome."

"Good night.."

"Good night to you as well.."

Minho was about to put his phone down until Chingu shouted something over the phone.

"'Til next time?"

"Sure.."

With that, Minho finished the glass of wine he held in his hand, kept the bottle of wine back into the cupboard and decided to sleep. He failed to notice that he has sported a foolish smile painted widely across his face the moment he put the phone down. One thing is for sure though, he is happy to hear Chingu's voice.

 

They both were.

===============================================

Was supposed to post this last night but fell asleep early on. An interaction from them, somehow an interaction. They are about to meet really soon. And by soon, I mean next chapter. Please watch out for that! Hope you guys liked this update.