Chapter 11- Busan

Fidelity

The clock continued ticking for him. He held the picture closely and continued to ponder over Key's words. He was the same as he was three hours ago. He still had no idea what in the world Key was talking about and what significant role the picture had to play. It was already late. He barely drank but he knew was drunk from the staff dinner he had. He felt the sensation on the need to sleep. In fact, he had to sleep. There would be a meeting with the staff the following day since they'll be discussing where, when and how the campaign will be released. It's almost midnight but the urge to solve the puzzle was keeping him awake.

It was then he felt arms snake around his neck and a chin rest upon his left shoulder. It was Krystal. She's been resting the entire day in order to cope with some sleep. She's been very busy ever since her comeback.

"You're still up? You should sleep.."

"I'm fine..compared to you I have no problem with sleep. Did I wake you? Sorry about that."

"No. I was asleep the whole day anyway. I'm pretty much awake. I saw the lights were still on downstairs so I decided to check on you.. Are you all right? Shouldn't we be celebrating? I'll get the wine."

Minho grabbed Krystal's wrist and shook his head; insisting a celebration was no longer necessary. Krystal then saw a glimpse of the picture which Minho held in his other hand. She took it and looked at it and burst out a laugh.

"When was this?"

"That was more than four years ago. Give it back!"

"You look really young, oppa. And thin! I would've never thought this was you.."

"Really?"

"Nevermind me. Are you sure that you don't want to sleep?"  Krystal then neared her face to Minho's left ear.
"I can bring out y lingerie I haven't used in a while.."

Minho just shook his head and pushed Krystal to the stairs. He was in no mood for that. In fact, he didn't even have the strength for any sort of activities. His mind was too preoccupied in trying to find the answer. He's uncertain whether or not he'll be able to find the answer for it that night; or even he will be able to find the answer at all. Because of this, he failed to realize that he fell asleep on the couch with the picture held tightly in his hand.

Krystal went back downstairs to find her husband sleeping soundly. She saw the picture was still held by Minho. She sighed and looked at it once more. "You look relaxed here, oppa. You look happy and at ease. I haven't seen a picture of you like this."


It was a conversation over coffee. 

"This better be good, Ssul. I gave up precious time in going through pictures."

"I'm sorry oppa. I didn't really have any other person to call. Amber eonni is out of the house once again. It's just a struggle on my part. I always said to myself that I'll be fine alone and without him. I said to myself that I can get by without any worries; that I'll be just fine on my own. But now, I seem to be doubting myself. I've felt this before and I don't want to feel it again!"

"Is this Minho?"

"What?! No! What the hell are you talking about?"

"Nevermind! Who is this anyway?"

"Taemin.. Lee Taemin. My ex-boyfriend.."

"Taemin? The son of the politician? Ohh.. This is hard, Sulli. I heard that his father is a very conservative man. He's on the news every once in a while. He's the guy that is really radical on supposed erratic behavior of the youth. He's kind of annoying. No, wait. I shouldn't have said that. Mian."

"No need to apologize. It's true. He's the one that was against my relationship with Taemin."

"Forget about him! It's Taemin we should be talking about.."

Sulli's words and the conversation were then cut short when the two of them heard a sound of a halting car just outside the house. Both were confused about it since the two of them were well aware that no one near the house owned a car. The spaces between the houses were too small to let cars park. It was because of this the two decided to check on it through the window. The two were then taken aback with what they saw, especially Key. It was Amber. She was coming out of the front passenger side of the car. The driver didn't come out but Key saw the look Amber's face. He started burning up in anger and jealousy. The moment the car left, Key went out and grabbed Amber inside.

"Let me go! What are you doing here? Let go of me, you idiot! Sulli, why is he here?!"

"Eonni, well..."

"Who was that?!" Key shouted.

"It was my groupmate for the old murder case we had to work on. We finished so I didn't have to sleep over. It's late so he decided to bring me over."

"He?! HE?! Was that a guy?"

"What's it to you? I believe it's none of your business!"

"It is my business!"

"YAH!!" Sulli screamed. "This isn't how it's supposed to be! I called on you guys to help me on my problem and not the other way around. Call me selfish, but come on guys! I am going through a life crisis here."

The bickering stopped and the two shut up. Amber fixed herself a cup of coffee and decided to sit down and join in on the conversation. There was really no need for Amber to ask on who the conversation was about. The only instance Sulli will seek advice is when she has troubles involving Taemin.

"It's Taemin, isn't it? Still not over him?"

"I don't know eonni.. I honestly think that I don't love him as much as I used to but I can't really tell. I met his cousin today and when I heard of his situation.."

"He's doing it to get your attention." Key suggested. "That's how we guys are. We tend to do stupid things."

"But stupid things still have a sense of rationality. That means, the guy was still well aware of what he was doing." Amber retorted.

Sulli immediately felt the tension and glared at the two. Her preemptive action prevented the situation from escalating once again. She just looked at the two and pouted. Truth be told, the two were at a loss on the situation but both of them agreed to have Sulli meet Taemin once and settle everything. It would be best for Sulli to  meet him so that she can finally assess where her feelings stand toward the guy. She wasn't all game for it but the two pushed the idea which eventually made Sulli agree.

"Aigoo, it's already one the morning. Oppa, sorry.."

"It's fine. I'll just take a cab."

As Key stepped out the door, Amber shouted from inside. "Wait! I.. I heard of news that the crime rate around our area has increased especially during the night. Just stay over and go home early in the morning."

Key looked at Amber confused; Sulli did as well. It wasn't so much because of the concern but the mere fact that Amber actually initiated the idea of having Key sleep over. "Don't think too much about! I am a police woman in the making. I don't want to be responsible of putting someone in danger because of not concerning myself."

Sulli smiled and rushed upstairs to dress some of the additional pillows they had and to bring out additional blankets. Amber was about to proceed upstairs as well to get some shut eye but Key stopped her from doing so by grasping her right arm.

"Let's talk."

"If this is about the guy, I don't want to talk about it."

"It's not that."

"I'm tired, Key. It's been a long day and I bet you're tired as well.. Let's talk some other time."

Key let go and Amber headed upstairs. Sulli handed over the things and Key volunteered to sleep on the couch of the living room saying he's thankful for the offer of sleeping over.

"Thanks Sulli.. Please tell Amber thank you as well."

"Oppa.. You looked really jealous just now. I don't mean to pry but do you love her? Amber eonni?"

Key just smiled and patted Sulli's head. "It's a really long story.. I'm really tired Sulli. Let's talk some other time, shall we? Good night." Sulli pouted and then smiled saying she's willing to listen any time. Key then reminded her to come to the studio that morning since there will be a meeting. It is something that Key decided upon during the dinner but decided to announce the news when everyone was sober.

 

 

The sun rose and the small opening through he curtains of Amber's room made the sunlight hit her right in the face. It felt warm. She stretched and sat up. She hates to admit it but the reason why she asked Key to sleep over was because she was worried. It was no joke when she said that the crime rate around their area increased. It was true. There had been several reports of a group of men showing up and ganging up on victims to get their money and electronic devices. In worst case scenarios when the victim refuses to hand over his belongings, the suspects stab the victim and beat them to a pulp. Amber knew that Key was stubborn. She wouldn't want to find Key in the hospital the next morning, or worse, dead. 

She got out of bed and slipped in her slippers. It was almost 8 in the morning and Sulli was still sound asleep. She went downstairs to check on Key but he left. The blanket was neatly folded and the pillow neatly placed on top. Amber looked around and saw a piece of paper tucked under a coffee mug placed on the dining table.

"What is this?"

I know you'll wake up first and you'll have no problem being the first person to read this. I just want to thank you for last night. I really appreciate it. I came to see you in your room but you were really sound asleep. Sorry for acting such a brat last night. Let's talk some other time.

P.S. You looked really cute this morning I can't help kiss you on the cheeks. :p

Amber pretty much dismissed the entire content of the note and was simply flabbergasted by the postscript added by Key. She paced to and fro the room trying to remember whether or not someone entered her room. She told herself that if Key did enter,she should've felt it. She should've known but Amber had no recollection of it whatsover. She tried to convince herself that Key was just joking but it would be a lie if she said that she did not have a dream of Key kissing her on the cheeks.

"So it wasn't a dream? No, it's a dream!"

"Eonni, I'll be going ahead."

"Ssul? You're up?"

"Yes! I have to be at the studio by 9 so I woke up early. Why?"

"No.. It's nothing."

"Eonni, are you okay? Are you sick? You're really red."

Amber ran upstairs and insisted she was fine. Sulli dismissed it and headed off. Key specifically told her that it would be an important meeting so it was a must that she should attend. Sulli was a little worried since she was supposed to wake up a lot earlier than she did. She had to rush that so there was barely a chance for her to fix herself. The subway was the best option at that time since getting a cab during rush hour would be a hopeless effort. 

By the time she arrived, everyone was already in except Key. Sulli sighed a sigh of relief and sat opposite Minho in the conference room located inside the studio. Speculations on what the announcement would be were circulating in the room but no one had a clear idea on what Key would be telling everyone.

"Sorry I'm late.." It was Key as he barged into the room with coffee in hand and shades on. His hair was unkempt. Sulli stifled a laugh imagining that Key was most probably in a rush as well.

"This will be a quick announcement since I have to send most of you home in order to prepare for this. I wasn't able to go through the pictures last night but something slipped my mind. I remembered it when most of us where drinking at the restaurant. I initially planned to simultaneously release a summer campaign since it is summer is just around the corner. I decided for our team to head to Busan as early as noon today. I know this is sort of short notice so I took the liberty of renting a bus for our staff and equipment. The photographer would meet us in Busan. We'll be shooting in the beach and I need a sunset setting for us which is why I decided to leave noon. Please prepare! We'll meet here at the studio by 11."

Everyone seemed to be surprised by the sudden rush of information from Key but those that realized it, cheered. The beach photoshoot is also an excuse for a vacation. Because of the need of urgency, everyone rushed out the studio and headed home. Key then asked Sulli to talk in private.

"What is it?"

"Does Amber have class or work today?"

"I believe not. If she did, she would've left much earlier than I did. Why?"

"Can you bring her along? Please? Do any method necessary so that you can tag her along.."

Sulli smiled. "All right. I'll come up with something. I'll see you around 11."

Sulli left while Minho asked Key whether or not he's needed to bring anything. Key insisted everything was prepared. With instructions clear, Minho headed home to prepare. He thought it would've been nice to tag Krystal along but the girl was out of town as well for a photoshoot for another designer brand. With no one to talk to, Minho dialled his phone. It was rather unfortunate that he was sent to voicemail.

"Chingu-yah. How are you? Haven't talked to you in a while because I've been really busy. I'm going somewhere and somehow a sense of excitement is filling me. I haven't been to that place in a long while. How have you been? Maybe we can talk some other time. Have a nice day, Chingu-ya."

 


 

Noon arrived faster and everyone boarded the bus Key rented out for everyone. It was already too late when Amber realized where they were going. Sulli coerced her into going because the younger said that it will be a paid vacation and that it would be Sulli's treat. Amber was ignorant on where Key's studio was so she wasn't able to object. Because of this, Amber remained quiet the entire trip even if Key was bugging her to no end. The staff were giggling as they looked at the two. Minho sat on the back, earphones plugged in his ears and nonchalantly looked at the road.

"." Key cursed under his breath.

"What's up?" Amber asked.

"They said there was an accident on the expressway. It has caused heavy traffic. We were supposed to arrive in Busan by 3pm but it looks like we'll be arriving another hour later. By then, we won't be reaching optimal time for the sunset."

"Then just make a sunrise photoshoot.. That would look a lot better. Just have everyone enjoy Busan for the night in the mean time. Sulli can come home as well since it's her hometown."

"Yeah, I guess so."

Key announced the situation and everyone cheered. Most of them already planned on where they would go and others searched the internet on interesting places they could go for the evening. Sulli on the other hand was just excited because she will get the chance to visit home. Ever since she came to Seoul, she hasn't been able to visit. Her little brother most probably grew a lot.

And as expected, the trip felt like forever. Most of the staff settled their things in the pension house and went out the very next minute. Key made a tactic so that Amber would be stuck with him which the girl despised. Sulli stayed with a stylist who already left with another. She was unsure on what to do next. Her father is most probably not yet home and she wants to surprise her family once everyone was home; her older brothers are probably at work as well. She pondered and eventually came up with a brilliant idea. The timing would be perfect anyway.

Sulli decided to visit her high school. The very school she went to with Minho. It was a 40 minute bus ride from the pension house they were staying at. The school would most probably be empty by then except for the athletes that were practicing and committees staying behind. The roads haven't changed much from back then. The trees were still lush green and the houses and buildings the bus would pass by looked exactly the same. The bus ride didn't seem that long since she was too busy staring at the establishments she used to go to.

Seeing her school brought back so much memories; both good and bad. She lost communication with some of her friends but those she was able to keep in touch with were either in other countries or others are already married busy with their families. Sulli looked around and saw that the walls were newly painted. The pale yellow walls have turned to a clean white. A lot of the old shoe lockers that had dents on them were also replaced.

"A lot has changed, eh?"

Sulli skipped upstairs to check on the classrooms. Most of the rooms were already empty so she took the chance to check on the desks whether or not the vandals she made were still there. Sadly though, the tables looked good as new. "Well that ." However, when she decided to enter the room she had during her last year in high school, she heard footsteps inside. Because of this, Sulli decided to peek through the glass window. The person she saw surprised her.

It was Minho. He was looking around and smiled every once in a while. She just stared that she failed to hide herself when Minho looked to her direction. Caught in the act, Sulli decided to just enter as well.

"You're here.."

"Yeah.."

Sulli took the seat she used to be in back then. It was the last seat near the door. She was really shy back then. First in, first out in the classroom. She didn't have many friends throughout high school. Minho helped her gain friends in their last year.

The air was awkward then. The two of them shared lots of memories in that very classroom but they appeared to have nothing to talk about.

"The soccer team is playing in the field. Want to check it out?"

"Sure.."

Minho's face showed delight when they stepped out on the field. Sulli knew that he was the biggest soccer fan she knew in her life. If Minho didn't become a model, he would most probably be joining a college soccer team and play for the university. He wasn't the best but he was capable. Minho immersed himself and joined in on the students that were playing. Sulli just sat at the bleachers and observed.

It brings back memories. It was freshman year and Minho was already famous around the school. As expected, she herself admired the guy. Whenever there were soccer matches, Minho would play and she'd watch. She'd be part of the crowd that cheered for Minho. She never did it out loud but she did cheer for him. Sulli remembers the look on Minho's face whenever he plays soccer is priceless. It was of utter happiness. 

The game he shared with the students lasted for almost an hour and it was almost dusk. The students bid their goodbye while Minho headed for the bleachers. He took his shirt off which surprised Sulli a bit.

"You really enjoyed.."

"It's been some time since I last played soccer. It felt nice to play once again. My skills have turned a little rusty but it feels nice to be able to do it every once in a while."

"I saw this picture.."

It was Minho's picture; the picture Key handed to him. It was placed in the pocket of Minho's bag which he handed to Sulli for safekeeping.

"I didn't go through your things. It dropped and saw it. Where did you get it?"

"Key handed it to me. It was included in my portfolio and he had my portfolio for safekeeping at the moment. You still remember this photo, huh?"

"Why wouldn't I?"

"Makes sense though..It was spring break and we were by the coast with our friends. You're the one who took this photo in the first place, anyway. Jinri.. I mean, Sulli.. Sorry, I am just not used to calling you Sulli. Did you change it when you headed to Seoul?"

"Minho..Wh--what happened to us?"

Sulli fired the question. She's been wanting to ask it for the longest time ever since they crossed paths again. There were questions left unanswered and that was one of them.

"I don't know, Jinri.. But I suppose it was just at the wrong time at the wrong place. We were young and inexperienced. If we met at some other time, maybe then, maybe.."

Sulli cut Minho short. "I suppose you're right.. I was really naive and such a crybaby then."

"You sure you're no longer a crybaby?"

"Yah!" Sulli shouted which made Minho laugh.

"But on another note, I am thankful to have crossed paths with you. Hey, I know we went through some things but since I think Key wants to make you a permanent stylist, let's work together." Minho then stood and bowed 90 degrees to Sulli.

"Hey, what are you doing?!"

"Please look after me. Let's work together and make an awesome ad!"

"Aish.." Sulli stood as well and bowed back. "All right then. Please look after me as well.."

Night arrived and the two of them headed back to the pension house. Sulli decided to get dressed before heading to her house. Key and Amber were bickering over coffee while the others were eating and the rest were still out and about in town. Minho bid good night and headed to his room. 

Sulli was smiling and she was happy that in a way she and Minho have settled things. However, there was this odd feeling inside her; an unsettling feeling inside her that bothers her and somehow it's telling her that things will just get a lot more problematic from then on.

-----------------------

And it most definitely will..

=========================================================

A pretty long update to make up for lost time. Didn't have proper internet connection for almost a week. Hope you like this update! ^^