Chapter 10- Clueless

Fidelity

It's just not the same. Those were the thoughts that kept running through his head ever since that fateful day. He is the idiot. He let her go. He should be the one to take the blame. Taemin can only let out a sigh everytime he'd remember that night. He specifically told her to stay behind but knowing how she is, he knew that Sulli will follow where he was off to. He knew that she will see what his father has planned and even if he said that he loved (he still does) her, he didn't do anything to save her from all the pain.

Taemin can clearly remember his head the sight of Sulli's face when he held Naeun close. It was all his father's idea. His father told him that he'll be introducing the two of them as an official couple in front of all the other politicians and distinct personalities that were closely connected to them that night. He knew but he didn't even dare refuse. He was a coward. The sight of Sulli's clenching teeth and verging tears. Taemin knew; even if her eyes were behind the mask. He knew perfectly that he has destroyed what they had.

It was a morning and spring is just around the corner. He has broken it off with Naeun just within three days after the party; saying it was all an act. Naeun got mad at him. She refuses to talk to Taemin ever again. Knowing how dim the chances of having Sulli talk to him again, Taemin did still dare try talking to the girl. As expected though, everytime he calls Sulli's cellphone, she just sends him to voicemail. They never got the chance to talk.

He's been feeling destroyed ever since. He tried to mend the pain by dating around, partying every night and hooking up with different girls. He'd have fun but it never erased the pain and frustration he had towards himself. Due to this, his family has raised concern and sought intervention from his closests cousins.

"Taemin-ah.. Wake up!"

Taemin covered himself under his sheets. "Go away, noona."

Refusing to oblige, Sunny grabbed the blanket which Taemin covered himself with. "Get your lazy up that bed of yours. I thought you want her back! We'll start today."

 


 

Key was baffled by what was going on. He had no clue on what the two meant and what the two were doing in front of him. He just stood there staring with eyebrows crunched up as he offered the two stares who were already walking to and fro the room. 

Minho kept uttering curse words under his breath and Sulli did the exact same thing. He tried talking but was having difficulty doing so since the two wouldn't really even listen to what he has to say. Ultimately, it irritated whim which made him shout. By doing so, the two stopped.

"What the hell is going on?!"

"Oppa, you didn't tell me about this.. This..This guy?!"

"This guy? I should be saying that! Key, there are plenty of stylists for you to hire for this job. Isn't this our debut campaign for this season? Our agency knows a lot stylists.."

This just angered Key even more. "You two! SHUT THE HELL UP! First and foremost, I am the one who is doing the paying here so the two of you have no right to act like this. You Sulli, didn't you ask for a favor? Should I inform you every single detail? I believe not! And Minho, I chose you but the other two models that walked out the door can probably not dictate on who I should hire? I'll be more than happy to have them go back!"

As Key told them to do, they did shut up. Key slumped himself into the sofa and cleared his throat. He asked whether or not they should proceed with the photoshoot for that day. The two of them apologized and said that they will proceed.

"Look, I don't care what in the world is going on.. But please, for the sake of the success of Minho's debut campaign and to make your portfolio look good.. Just, please.. I am begging both of you. Lock those frustrations in a jar or something and work. Be professionals."

"Yes." The two of them replied.

And as Key wished for, the two of them didn't speak another word for the next hour or so. Minho prepared got his hair done and make up while Sulli finished preparing the looks Minho will wear for the shoot. And as the job requires, she is to fit the clothes on Minho personally and see if it fits him. Due to this, the two of them can't avoid to bicker silently. In turn, Key would just glare at them to stop.

Minho then tried the first look Sulli prepared. Key saw it and ordered Sulli to make it the last. Sulli followed and proceeded to fit the second set. It was the one with the ragged jeans, plain polo tied around his waist. 

It required Sulli to tie the polo around Minho. She gripped the sleeves of the polo and gulped. She was trying to be professional but it just doesn't feel right for her. Minho noticed what was going on and grabbed the polo from Sulli's hand.

"Let me.." and he did. He walked in front of the camera and started to pose. An overwhelming feeling of embarrassment filled her because of what just happened, to avoid getting caught of looking flustered Sulli ran back to the clothes rack and started to sort through the clothes once more. All the while, Key was just looking at the two of them. 

Fortunately, the shoot proceeded smoothly. Key did manage most of the shots for the most part. Sulli will just look at him, can't help but get mesmerized  by how Key appeared so serious. He is a fun person and all but Sulli always knew that he was a perfectionist. She has heard terrifying stories of him scolding staff for working half-heartedly during shoots and all but to actually see him in action is an entirely different experience. He knows what he wants. He keeps pushing Minho to achieve the perfect shot based on his standards. Because of this, the photographer had to use at least two memory cards for the shoot. They haven't even shot the last look and the memory of the second card seemed to be running out. Without noticing, the clock already struck noon. Key called for a lunch break and to resume everything after an hour.

To no surprise, Minho actually ordered lunch ahead for everyone on the set including Sulli, the rest of the makeup artists and Key. He made the order in secret when he asked for a short bathroom break earlier that day. It was nothing grand; chicken and rice meals. He personally handed the food to everyone. Key took his share but instead of focusing just on his food, he actually went on the computer to check Minho's photos.

"Has he always been like this?" he asked.

"Eh? Are you talking to me?" Sulli asked in return. Minho only nodded.

"It's my first time working with him. He's my friend and several of his co-workers have told on him being terrifying when it comes to the job. I find it mesmerizing to be honest."

"Why so?"

"Well.. Cause you know he never settles for anything less."

With that statement, Minho opted to not reply and just go back to enjoying the few pieces of chicken bites he bought for himself with a deep thought in his mind. 

 

An hour has passed and Key instructed Sulli to put Minho back in some of the outfits that they already finished shooting. He said that he still wants some shots to be taken that were not met during the first round. This slightly irritated the photographer but Key didn't mind. The photographer is a friend of his and is known to be a little impatient. Minho didn't complain or ask whether he lacked. He just proceeded as what was asked for him. After several repeats of some of the looks, it was already four in the afternoon when it was the time for the last look. It was the simple plain white shirt, jeans and just a pair of sneakers all designed by Key. Key had the other accessories removed from Minho.. Just the clothes were going to be modeled.

"All right. That will do.. Minho, please proceed."

Minho posed and posed but Key kept clicking his tongue. For the first time in the entire shoot, Minho got worried whether or not he was performing as what he expected. Three shots followed and Key called for a pause. He shook his head and went back to his office. Everyone in the room assumed that the shoot will be done for but Key came out immediately with a photo in his hand and showed it personally to Minho.

"Look at this.."

"Huh?" It's the first photo Minho took. He wasn't even a professional model then. It was just some test shots but he does bring it along.

"Do what you were doing here in this photo and trust me.. This photo shoot will end in ten minutes."

Minho was confused on what Key meant and what the designer wanted to happen. But instead of making himself appear worthless, Minho just imagined that the camera in front of him was the first camera that took his first shot. He did several poses and by the 8th shot, Key called the photoshoot done.

"What? But it's only been 8 shots since..."

"It's fine. It's great, Minho.. Those last 8 shots.. They were more than enough."

Everyone clapped their hands once Key called the day was done. Everyone packed up and it was already past six when the studio turned clean. Due to the success of the first ever shoot, Key called the shots and told everyone that he will be treating the staff to dinner. Everyone cheered except for Sulli.

"Oppa.. I'd really love to go. But I have to go home.. Amber eonni told me to cook dinner tonight."

"All right then. See you. I'll call you.."

And Sulli bid her goodbye. Meanwhile, everyone, including Minho set out for a staff dinner; drinking to their hearts' desires.

 


"What is this? It's spring but it's freezing today.. Ugh." Sulli whispered. She walked and was too preoccupied in her thoughts about dinner that she didn't notice someone. Unfortunately, she bumped on someone. The aroma of coffee then filled her nostrils. That's when she realized that the person she bumped into spilled their coffee. Feeling such a fool, she stood and apologized.

"I'm sorry.. I'm so so sorry.." she raised her head and was surprised to see who it was.

------------------------

"You didn't tell me you were around, Seoul. If I knew I would've invited you over for dinner."

"Oh, no.. It's fine. My visit here was quite sudden so I wasn't really able to inform anyone about it."

"So what brings you here, Sunny eonni?" 

Sunny then looked over at Sulli and held her hand as if telling her mentally why she was in Seoul. Sulli didn't get it at first but then realized it. She shook her head and withdrew her hand from Sunny's grip. Sulli realized the reason as to why Sunny suddenly came to Seoul. She met Sunny several months back when she and Taemin were still together. Taemin introduced Sunny as a cousin that he's really close with; to the point he treats her as his sister. They were really close. It must be because of Taemin screwing up as to why Taemin's parents called on Sunny.

"His parents called for you didn't they?"

"Taemin's parents doesn't even care about him."

"What are you talking about?"

"You know that the wish of being with Sunny is his parents' idea..well, his father's idea.. Taemin broke it off with Naeun just three days after his dad introduced Naeun has his girlfriend. Taemin can't stand it. He's been partying around lately. I heard of it from Jinki oppa so I came to see him and give him a scolding. His parents aren't even here.. His dad is in some sort of business trip with other politicians.. Auntie, I don't really know."

"Then what does that have to do with me? It was his fault! He could've easily refused his father's wishes. He promised me that.."

"He knows that Sulli.."

"The hell he wants me back.. He was even with another girl another day! They were holding hands at a restaurant not far from here."

Sunny then burst into a laugh which baffled Sulli. "I'm sorry.. Are you talking about the restaurant two blocks away? The Italian restaurant? That was me Ssul. That was the first night Taemin actually opened up and he was just thankful I came. You must've not noticed since I was wearing a beret and my back was facing you."

Sulli felt like an idiot for believing that Taemin was with another girl. She feels foolish for quickly assuming that the guy was on a date. She facepalmed herself and just laughed out of the stupidity.

"Though on a more serious note, can you at least try talking to him?"

"What for eonni? I'm done with the type of relationship I had with Taemin oppa."

"You know the saying that you only realize the worth of something the moment you lose it? I think that is the case with Taemin. He realized how much of a coward he was. He knew that he has hurt you leaps and bounds but everybody deserves a second chance, Sulli. Just try to at least talk to him. Let him hear his voice and if you actually wish to end everything, let it end on a lighter note."

"I can't promise you anything.."

Sulli then bid her farewell after the short talk over coffee she had with Sunny. The words of the older woman running through her head. Should she talk to him? Should she even try? Should she listen to Sunny? Was Sunny's words enough to persuade her on giving Taemin a chance? She was so immersed in those thoughts that she failed to realize that Amber might be home waiting for her to cook dinner. 

It was only when she reached the front door that she realized the time. "Oh, .."

She then saw a note underneath the doormat. It was from Amber.. She was apologizing since she had to suddenly go sleep at a fellow student's place since they were presented an old murder case that they have to solve. Sulli sighed and went on inside. She looked over at the stove and confirmed the fact that she wasn't really hungry. Even if she was walking around the entire day, and only two chicken wings and half a cup of rice filled her stomach..she wasn't hungry.

Sulli then took in a big gulp and reached for her phone.

"Hello? Oppa?"


 

They were barely into the party and a lot of the female staff were already drunk. Some were crying other were just quiet. On the other hand, Minho opted to not drink too much. He might make a fuss in the bar and even if Key offered him several glasses, he declined almost every offer. He was just taking in the situation. It still felt a tad surreal for him. It was official. He is a muse of a brand. A brand that a lot of people like and actually purchase and wear. His face will fill the streets and billboards along the streets of Seoul. Just the mere thought of it was already sending goosebumps down his spine. A life long dream of making it big as a model was finally coming true.

However, it still bugs him as to what Key really meant during the photoshoot when Key brought out the old photo of him. It was just a simple shot. It was a weekend on a relatively cloudy afternoon in the summer of June. It wasn't an official shoot but a lot of his friends told him it would be a good bet to send in as a test shot. He added that photo with the other photos he had asked a professional photographer to take. 

"Minho-yah.."

"Hmm?"

"Just what is it with you and Sulli? I mean, I had no idea you two knew each other.. But what's with the big fuss.."

"Well, I knew her way back."

"Really?"

"We went to the same high school. I was in Busan at that time and her hometown is in Busan..She was...she was a friend. We used to bicker a lot back then. I was just surprised to see her."

"Is that so?"

Key didn't really ask anything else after the open-ended conversation he conducted. This just made Minho drink another three shots of soju. The night ended when most of the staff were sober enough to go home. Key and Minho were the last ones to leave since they had to send off most of the female staff that rode in cabs.

"All right. That's the last of them. I'll go ahead, Minho. I still have to go through the shots and decide which ones will be released for the official release later this month."

"Key, wait!"

"Hmm?"

"Can I ask you something?"

"Shoot away.."

"Kris and Siwan were great models. I know you know that. One is already an accomplished name while the other is an in-demand rookie. You could've chosen them and your clothes will surely sell. Their fanbases are big enough to keep your business earning for an entire season.. Why? Why did you pick me?"

Key then brought out the picture and handed it over to Minho. "Look at this picture and you'll know why.. The model in that photo has something that the one holding it doesn't. It's that something I want  revive.. You'll realize what I mean."

Minho took the picture and stared at it; still clueless and at a loss on what in the world Key means by his words.

============================================

Finally able to include Taemin in an update. Do you think he and Sulli will get back together? We'll see. In the meantime, Minho and his confusion with Key's words. Hope you liked the update!^^