Chapter 19- Reason

Fidelity

It takes a certain type of mentality to be able to focus yourself and make a choice. A choice that you are certain of and have provided enough time for debate and what are the corresponding pros and cons for each option. Amber believes that one should not simply make a choice based on emotions. One must look into a situation critically and determine the possible outcomes and what each situation entails. It's not so much of her being paranoid but rather it's her way of being safe. She believes that logical choices are those that make the most sense and would cause the least amount of damage for everyone.

It was a fine morning and there were classes being held at the police academy. It was supposed to be an investigative subject but the professor took the chance to hand out feedback forms from the police stations that the students reported to. Diligently, each student receive the form in a sealed envelope and take these back to their respective seats to read. Amber was the first one to receive hers but she hasn't opened hers just yet. In fact, there was this side of her that would rather not have the envelope opened. She was looking at the view of the road from her seat and pondered at the traffic that was threatening to ensue.

Henry on the other hand was delighted with his results. The seniors at the police station where he reported to were pleased with his body of work. The form was filled with the words; diligent, responsible and trustworthy. He was proud of his results and excited to share them to this girlfriend. He hurried in his steps to reach Amber that was across the room. He kept calling on her name but she didn't respond, not until he shook her by the shoulders.

"Tada!" Henry flashed his form.
"They said I was great and they might actually consider having me assigned to their station once we graduate. How was yours, babe?"

"Mine? I haven't opened it yet."

"What?"

Henry grabbed the envelope that rested in front of Amber in an attempt to uncover the results. Amber wasn't too pleased with what Henry did. She quickly took the envelope out of Henry's hand and placed it in one of the inner pockets of her red Nike backpack. Henry replied with a cheerful smile and held Amber by the hand as he lead the way out of the classroom. Class was over and so was their day. They all had the day to themselves and Henry had it all planned out for the two of them.

"Do you have some spare clothes?"

"I always bring spare clothes.. Why?"

"Get changed. I'll take you somewhere."

Amber's mood has lighten compared to earlier that day. She dressed up in her typical hoodie, shorts and dunks setup. Henry didn't mind her fashion anyway so she was never obliged to dress girly in front of her boyfriend. As she got out, Henry raced her outside and he called on a cab. Surprised by it, Amber inquired as to whether or not Henry brought his car. He said no and the only reason why he didn't was because he intended to have a more "normal" type of date. Amber chuckled at the thought of normal. What would be her definition of normal?

The train was packed and this forced the two to be in close proximity. Henry shielded Amber from all the other men that were in the train by cornering her near the door. Their cheeks would occasionally touch as the trains bumps along the rail. Henry would coy away, apologize and smile a foolish smile which made Amber smile. The simplest of things that Henry did made Amber smile. Henry on the contrary was more than happy just to see Amber by her side.
As soon as they arrived, the wind blew and Amber's cap came off and flew. It was summer but there was a low pressure area lurking near the south which made rainshowers fall at times within the city. Hurriedly, the two of them rode on the nearest bus to head to the mall.

The first itenerary was the cinema. Amber loved her animal films and Henry chose a tearjerker movie about a stray dog. It wasn't the most ideal to see Amber smile but he knows how much Amber loves those kind of movies. They grabbed a bundle meal which was good for 2 and headed the dark theater. The opening credits were already rolling when they sat. 

"I heard this is a good one." Henry whispered.

"Really?" Amber replied as she had her eyes glued to the screen and hands glued to the popcorn. 

The movie started with the story of a dog that was adopted by a family that had a six year old daughter. The family was happy and welcomed the dog with open arms into their homes. There was comical element during the dog's potty training. Everything was great up until a great storm hit the community and the family was forced to evacuate. They brought along the dog but was unfortunately separated with them in the sea of people. That was when the theater grew silent and snobs and sniffles broke the silence. The movie progressed as the dog went back to the destroyed house and stayed there. It scavenged for its food and was barely getting by. By then, people were already blowing through their noses. Henry himself was about to suffer from a clogged nose. It was all bearable until the crowd lost it at the scene wherein three months has passed and the family went back to search for the dog. The little girl was the one that found the dog's cold and lifeless body in the front porch of their previous house. The film ended where the family buries the dog in the backyard where it loved to play fetch.

The crowd walked out of the theater with red and swollen eyes and runny noses. Henry had to wipe his face several times before they headed out. However, Amber was an entirely different case. It seemed as if she didn't even shed a single tear. She apologized to Henry for the lack of response towards the film. It was just that she fell asleep midway and the emotional build up didn't really happen for her.

"I'm famished. Want to grab a burger or pizza?"

"Pizza sounds good."

They headed for a pizza chain in the mall but there was a pretty long queue in the cashier. They ended up ordering burger.

"Such a waste. Pizza would've been so good."

"Don't be too sad about it, Henry. It's fine. Burger is good."

"Hey, I saw this great American store not far from here. It's a retail store. Other than some food items, they have clothes. Want to go and check them out?"

"About that.. Sorry. I really need to go home since it's my duty to cook dinner for tonight. My roommate will come in just a little past six and by then we have to eat dinner. I am really sorry."

"No need to say sorry. It's fine!"

Henry's abrupt plan was cut with Amber's sudden leave. He originally planned for the two of them to spend the entire day up until dusk but it seemed it would go to waste. He accompanied Amber to the train station and insisted that she goes ahead. The two bid farewell. Henry kissed her lightly on the lips before she alighted on the train. Henry intended to ask if Amber could just move in with him. "I'll ask some other time."

Amber walked to the nearest convenience store from the station. Rice would be easy to cook but she was in no mood to do cooking that night. There were instant noodles that are tasty and fulfilling that she could buy. She can just boil them and share a tasty meal with Sulli. To her dismay though, as she was walking home, she received a message from her roommate that she'll be coming home late. Amber rolled her eyes. She bought two packs and it would've been a waste. She brushed her worry off and walked home. But another surprise came in front of her, she saw a glimpse of Key's car which was parked a block from their apartment with the engine off. However, instead of saying hello, she headed straight to the house. Key came running out of the car. Amber locked the door.

"Amber, open up!"

"Get lost, Key!"

"Please, let's talk."

"You could've thought about that before you started ignoring me like an idiot!"

Amber didn't budge. She cooked servings of rice and noodles good enough for her. Key's voice can still be heard from the other side of the front door. His voice sounded that of genuine pleading but not once did Amber's will of not opening the door waver. It only stopped when the rain started pouring. It was heavy. There was lightning and turned the afternoon sky into that of late evening. Amber was already asleep by the time Sulli arrived. The next morning that followed, Sulli paid back by cooking breakfast for the two of them. 

"What time did the rain stop?"

"I arrived past 11 already but it was still raining. Why?"

"Nothing."

"Oh! By the way, I saw Key oppa's car a block away. I was surprised and I thought he was with you but.." Amber didn't have second thoughts and ran outside the apartment barefoot. She looked to see whether or not Key's car was still there. It wasn't. 

"I woke up and the car was no longer there. I'm not sure what time he left but he endured that rain for sure. He might get sick."

"I have to go Sulli. I have some papers to pass and I'll be back around noon. Will you be out?"

"Yes. I'll be doing a styling job today. Key oppa recommended me to some fashion magazines. I might arrive late afternoon."

Amber hurriedly dressed up and headed for school. She and Henry agreed to meet at the station where he'll be fetching her. Amber is thankful for every little thing that Henry does. He makes her smile. He makes her happy. Amber believes choosing Henry was the right choice.

"I'll be joining a few friends later this afternoon so we won't be able to go out. But maybe you can join me for lunch? I'll have you home by noon or a little past that."

"Sounds like a plan. I'm good. Lunch sounds great."

Henry drove along his car and waited for Amber after her quick walk into the school. It was nothing more than a report that was overdue for a day. It was about the political structure of the police force. It was easily searchable but she was just too lazy to lift a finger and do it. After the quick trip, they headed to a cafe and enjoyed pasta for lunch. She had spaghetti. He had pesto. They topped off their meal with a banoffee pie for dessert.

"Have you opened your feedback form just yet?"

"Not yet. Maybe tonight."

"I see. Let me know about it. Uhh, babe. Can we go? I'll bring you home don't worry."

"Okay, let's go."

The drive back to the apartment was quick but Amber asked Henry to stop at the corner before turning to the street where the apartment lies. Amber saw a glimpse of Key's car once again from the other street that had a view of the block near the apartment. She didn't want Henry to get involved with whatever mess Key will cause. She got of the car and ran without kissing Henry goodbye. This disappointed Henry that he no longer bothered asking for one. He'd always be the one asking for a kiss. She never did. 

"Amber!" Key called from afar.

"I said, leave me alone Key!"

"Please, just hear me out!"

Amber ticked. "Hear you out? You want me to hear you out? Did you ever hear me out?"

"Amber, I.."

"That's what you always do. Make me look like an idiot! You're so good at making me an idiot that I can give you an award for it." Amber shouted.
"I liked you, Key. I really did. I was so stupid to like you. You were a hotshot and I am the weird girl. I liked you so much that it became painful to even just think about you."
She had started crying. "It was one party, Key. I got drunk and kissed someone but that was it! I didn't have with him yet you believed in the rumors other people started that I did it. But even so, I tried to explain myself. I wanted us to work. But next thing I know, I see you going out with a new girl. I kept calling you. I called you multiple times just so I can apologize for my mistake. I wanted to correct that. I wanted to make things right but you never gave me the chance! And now you want me to hear you out? Have a dose of your own medicine."

Amber fiddled through her bag while looking for the keys; her eyes were flooded with tears. Key grasped her by the arm and pleaded. She shook her head. As she opened the door and stepped in, she heard a thump and saw Key kneeling so weakly on the floor. Ultimately, he kissed the cold pavement. Amber started to panic. She looked left and right, walked back and forth, at a loss on what to do. Up until she realized that Key must be sick. She checked his forehead and indeed, he was running on a high fever.

"Idiot." Amber grinded through her teeth. With all the strength she carried in her body, Amber supported Key up to her room in the 2nd floor of the apartment. She loosened his clothes and placed cold compress on his forehead. He must've stayed in the rain last night waiting for Amber to open the door. Amber hated the idea that it was her fault. It's not as if she wanted Key to get sick. In fact, a part of her feels cheated because it felt as if she was forced into the situation of taking care of Key. Three hours passed and Amber diligently took care of Key to lower his temperature. After he has stabilized, Amber fell asleep on the floor as she rested her head on the bed. Sulli arrived and ran upstairs to ask Amber why Key's car was around the area once more but stumbled upon the two already sleeping. She smiled and giggled about the thought that no matter how much they avoid each other, they kept gravitating towards one another. She plotted an excuse and asked a fellow staff member of Key's team if she can stay overnight. Leaving the two alone would be the perfect situation  for them to finally talk.


The feeling of sticky sweat ran through Amber's body as she woke. It was dark and humid. She checked her phone; 8:23PM. It wasn't raining. She checked to see the lights but they didn't flicker. There was a power outage. It's no use to have her phone serve as a flashlight; it was running low on battery. Amber was literally blind at that point. She can't see anything. She can only feel and hear things. She felt through her bed and felt her hand brush along Key's. She withdrew her hand and sat on the floor.

"Amber.." Key spoke.
"Amber, you're here right? I can feel it." He added. Amber didn't respond.
"Thank you."

"No need. I can't leave you in the streets. The neighborhood ahjummas might call me a for leaving you there." Amber replied. Key chuckled. Amber was now growing weary of where Key was.

"I was lost on what I should do."

"What?"

"When I heard those rumors breakout with Myungsoo back in university, I freaked out. You had this charm about you that I liked the first time we met. You were cool and independent. You didn't cling unto guys unlike the others. I like you so much that I can't even think straight at the mere thought of being with you. Believe me, I was the happiest man on Earth when I learned our feelings are mutual. I wanted to be with you every moment of the day. I wanted to keep you as mine. But when the rumors broke out, I lost it. I felt incapable of being with you. I wanted to talk to you but I was too scared. I don't know why but I was. My other friends told me to just let it go and find another girl. I was gullible enough to do so. I know it sounds as a lame excuse but I don't have anything else to defend myself. I was an idiot. I drove you away. That's why I said to myself, when we meet again, I'll win you back."

"Then why did you have to say goodbye?"

"Because I didn't want to push you away anymore. I wanted to send you off properly by saying goodbye. I just want to see you happy, Amber."

"Happy?! It's torture, Key."

"Do you know the reason why I gave up architecture?Whenever I design houses, I think of you at times. I think of the times when we were happy and I'd be inspired. Ideas would come rushing into my head. It was as if you were a motivation. When things ended between us back then, I lost it. I lost all motivation to even lift pencil and design. That was when I immersed myself into books that dealt with crime. That's why I headed to police work to see if I can make it. That's where I met Henry. We started out friends but we grew close fast. He treasures me dearly and protects me. He makes me happy."

"Amber.."

"That is why I hate you. I hate that you had to pop up once more. We were going just fine until you arrived and kept following me around!" Amber stressed. "I hate that you'll show up with a smile on your face and act as if nothing happened in the past. I hate that you kept making me confused. I hate that it's as if you toy with my feelings. You tease me and no more. It's annoying! But you know what? I--I hate myself more."

Key stood from the bed and Amber felt that. She walked away, towards the cabinet doors. She was already in tears.
"Stay away."

"Amber.."

"Don't make me hate myself more."

"What are you talking about?"

"I hate myself Key because no matter how much I try to tell myself that I hate you and that I don't want to see you, I can't. When you came with Sulli and we met again, I was jumping for joy deep inside. I told myself that your antics in wooing me won't work or won't have an effect on me but they do. I hate that I can't fully appreciate Henry's kind words. Oh believe me, I tried to forget you. I like Henry. I really do. It was never in my intention to hurt him but no matter what, I can't erase you in this damn head of mine. I hate it! I seriously, seriously hate it. I hate that after all these years, I'm still in love with you. I'm still madly in love with you, Kibum."

Amber's back ran through the cabinet doors as her legs weakened over the sudden outburst of emotions. It wasn't a lie. It'll be foolish of her to continue denying that she no longer loves Key. She does. It's not that she wanted to toy with Henry or use him as a wound patch. Amber genuinely likes Henry. He's a great guy but it seems her liking towards Henry was never enough to overthrow her feelings that were buried deep down.
As dramatic as the situation was, Key can't help smile in the dark with Amber's confession. He had started to tear up because of too much happiness. His efforts weren't wasted after all. Slowly, he started to feel where Amber was and headed towards that direction. Soon enough, he started to feel Amber's breath across his bare chest due to the ed shirt.

"Don't come near me, Key."

"I'm already in front of you."

Amber didn't see it but Kibum got an idea where Amber's lips were. He lowered his head to reach for her lips.

"Don't even dare kiss me.." Amber warned.
"Too late." Key whispered right into Amber's lips.

That was when he planted his lips on hers. It was gentle and warm. It felt as if he was saying I love you. However, the heat and their close proximity made things escalate a lot faster. Key started to ravage Amber's lips by kissing her a lot more roughly. Amber responded by snaking her arms around his neck. They separated briefly to breathe but only for a mere second before they continue. Key bit Amber's lower lip which she took as a signal to open , his tongue started to dance with hers. It was clear that both were heating up. However, no matter how she was, Amber gathered her senses.

"Kibum.."

"Hmm?" He hummed as he kissed her neck.

"Wait.. Wait.."

"Why? What's wrong?" He replied.

"I can't.. Not now. It's Henry. I can't do this to him because technically he's still my boyfriend."

Key hated hearing the word boyfriend being linked to another's guy name other than his. But he understood the situation. He breathed and composed himself then giving Amber one last kiss before he gives up the chance of making love with Amber. She was right. No matter what angle they look at, in terms of commitment, Henry was Amber's boyfriend.

"I'll talk to him tomorrow."

"We can wait. I can wait. Break things off when you are ready."

Amber then hugged Key tightly and buried her face into his chest. "I missed hugging you like this. I missed taking in your scent. We cleared things up and I have you by my side. I can't pass up another day not being with you. I'll clarify things to Henry tomorrow."

With a kiss on the forehead. "I love you Amber."

=================================================

And I managed to squish everything into one chapter. Anyway, last chapter was left as a cliffhanger. We'll continue things in the next chapter. I hope you like this keyber chapter^^