Chapter 15- That Morning

Fidelity

It was a morning full of hope for him. To be honest, there was no particular reason for him to feel uplifted but something was telling Minho that a great day lies ahead. The sun was barely shining but he's running around the house like a little kid excited for school. His screams were so loud that he woke Krystal up from her slumber. He kept running around the house and he was shouting random words while he took his bath. Krystal only shook her head over her husband's childish behavior. She finds annoying but charming all at the same time. It's been a while since she felt Minho genuinely excited about waking up in the morning. 

Since she was already awake and there was a slim chance of her falling back to sleep, Krystal opted to cook breakfast for the two of them. They've both been busy for the past weeks that they barely get the chance to bond. She'd leave, he's asleep or vice versa. They were so preoccupied with their respective modelling jobs that they never meet each other to enjoy themselves. It was toast for breakfast and some low-fat tuna salad. Minho was already finished when  Krystal started setting the table for the two of them.

"Breakfast?"

"Eat up before you head out. It's been some time since I last prepared something for you."

"You didn't have to but thanks."

Minho enjoyed himself with breakfast as he savored the warm toast and how the cold salad complemented the flavor. He was thoroughly enjoying himself but  Krystal was the exact opposite. She just stared at her husband and how he ate. This is why the portion she prepared for herself became cold and somehow unsuitable for eating. Minho was so fixated on his food and Krystal on him that they barely spoke. In fact, they didn't speak for the remainder of that morning. He finished his food while Krystal cleaned up. He left without saying a word; not even a kiss of goodbye.

He drove along the highway with faster speed. It was as if the universe was one with his happiness that day. The streets were almost empty which allowed him to drive as he desired and feel the wind as if he was in the countryside. It is because of this that memories of Busan flashed into his memory. It was more than two weeks ago when he drove Sulli back to her home. The sea breeze made the wind cold on the face even if it was summer. It was a late night but there was ample light for him to see Sulli's face. He remembers the most minute details of her smile and how her eyes with squint whenever she's happy. They haven't got the chance to talk for so long. In fact, he hasn't gotten the chance to talk to his chingu for so long as well. 

It was still early but Minho saw the light from one of the rooms of the studio already on. It made him wonder on who could be in the studio as early as he was.  It could be the staff but they weren't called on for a meeting; not until noon that day. He just came early to try and practice his posing since Key mentioned to him the other day that he helped Minho in landing a spread for a magazine.

Slowly, he took the stairs up to the studio in the low rise building. He can hear the sound of a sewing machine running which made him a little nervous. He slightly opened the door and took a peak even if his heart was beating pretty fast. He knew there was no reason for him to panic because only staff had the keys to the place so it was most probable that the person inside was someone Key knew. It was just that the thrill of finding out someone who was clearly trying to avoid the bulk of the crowd made him nervous.

There was one lamp shade on and one ceiling light on inside the room. It provided enough light for him to see who it was. Much to his surprise (and delight), it was Sulli. Minho didn't dare interrupt but it was too late. Sulli was already wary of his presence. She stood and headed for the door and opened it where Minho was crouching like an idiot. But instead of scolding him, she just smiled bitterly and went back to sewing some of the clothes Minho has used on set.

"What are you doing and why is your luggage here?"

"I just came from Busan. It's still early but I wasn't in the mood to go home just yet so I decided to pass by here."

Minho felt the awkwardness in the air. It's not as if they were enemies or what but after Busan, everything just felt so awkward that day. The two weeks that they weren't able to talk somehow brought back and built the wall that was initially there. Minho didn't like that feeling. He didn't like feeling not being able to reach Sulli. In order to break the ice Minho started cracking up some jokes but it didn't help. Sulli would smile but she didn't laugh all that loud. He was at a loss on what to do. It felt as if he was walking a thin line that can snap any minute. That thin line was Sulli.. He'd either overcome the situation or completely snap the line and piss Sulli off.

Without knowing what to do, Minho just buried himself in one of the couches and looked up at the ceiling. It was just the two of them in that room and they practically have three more hours before the bulk of the staff comes in to prepare for the meeting. The silence was deafening for him. He didn't know how it felt for Sulli but the silence was painful. It was as if they were in square one; a lot worse when they first met once again. Minho tried to think of reasons if she ever offended Sulli but none. He was always cautious of his words and actions whenever he is with her. He decided then to ask her but when he looked over to the machine, Sulli wasn't there but her luggage was still in the room.

"Here."

He felt a jolt of heat on his cheeks. It was a warm can of coffee. Sulli was handing it to him. He hesitantly took the can and popped it open. She sat on the other end of the couch which was just a few feet away from where Minho was seated. Sulli took a sip and Minho tried to not get distracted but he observed how she drank and gulped down the coffee. What he was doing felt and looked erted in his standards but he can't help it.

"There's a meeting this noon right?"

"Yeah."

"I wouldn't have gone home if there wasn't a meeting. I was getting so used to in Busan. I know Key oppa called me in several times but I kept refusing to go back because I kept saying I was sick. It was partly true but it was more because of I was too lazy to go back. I missed my family so much that two years worth of loss was something I wanted to make up for."

"So this meeting is the only reason you came back? After this, will you go back to Busan?"

"Not really.. I can't go back there."

"It sounds as if you are hiding from someone." Minho joked but little did he expect that his joke turned out to be the truth. She didn't say it but Sulli was avoiding Taemin. The first time he came over Sulli was supposed to go home. They drove back to Seoul but Sulli left in the midst of traffic. She decided to go back to Busan in order to trick the man. The first few days she was at home, it was as if her plan was successful but later on Taemin kept coming back pestering her to get back together with him. What was more annoying was that Taemin tried to befriend Sulli's family especially her little brother. 

"Anyway.. I was just sewing few of the clothes you tore in the shoot. I think you didn't do them on purpose though. Some appear to be fabric hooked on nails. They can be easily fixed."

"Are you going back to your place?"

"Not really. I'll finish the remaining clothes then maybe sleep in the staff room."

Minho gulped down the coffee as Sulli walked away. There was a sense of relief that loomed over him. It felt the worries were lifted off of his shoulders by the mere fact Sulli talked to him and was the one that initiated the conversation. He still holds Sulli dear. Anyone can see that. People knew that Minho looked at Sulli differently; even differently from Krystal. The staff sees it everytime there was a shoot. It was just that Sulli and Minho were ignorant of it. She doesn't bother try to look at Minho's gaze nor does he realize the way he looks at her is different.

Contrary to its effects, the coffee made Minho feel sleepy. It is because of this that he eventually dozed off on the couch and slept. It wasn't until the noise in the room started to escalate did he wake up. There were other staff already in and the sun was already out pretty high. It was almost noon. He didn't even realize it but Minho slept on the couch for almost three hours. Sulli's luggage was pushed near to the wall while the girl was busy helping the other staff prepare some snacks for the meeting. 

"Hey, Minho-ssi."

"Hey.. What time is it?"

"It's almost 11:30. The meeting is just a few minutes away so we are preparing as much as we can. Usually, when the staff doesn't meet for long, Key expects everyone to have things polished and well done. He expects updates on the projects, especially yours since the launch is less than a week away. He's surely made a lot of preparations so we can't fall behind."

He eventually helped and by the time the clock struck noon, everything was done. The snacks and drinks were neatly organized at a table placed at the end of the room. Everyone took their seats and waited for Key's arrival. He was someone notorious for being late at times so the staff wasn't really worried even if by the time they checked, an hour has already passed. Minho on the other hands was feeling different towards the situation. Even if he was running late, Minho knew that Key would text someone. Another hour has passed that one of the senior employees started ringing Key's cellphone.

"Did he ever mentioned he won't be coming today?" A stylist asked.

"Maybe he forgot." Another speculated. People started to blurt out random ideas but instead of joining in the conversation, Minho grabbed his jacket and headed downstairs. Timely, Sulli just came out of the comfort room.

"Where are you off to?"

"Key's house."

Sulli tagged along since she was the one that knew where Key was living. She's been there once or twice back when they were still studying in the same school. It was for a study session that resulted in a drinking session. They were both worried for Key. It wasn't his personality to be two hours late. They knew something was up. They just didn't know what it was about.

 


 

He was a bridge over troubled water. There was an empty space within him that felt he needed to fill but there was nothing in his reach to fill that void. It felt as if that void was slowly trying to imprison him; pulling him in to depths unknown. He knows it sounds dramatic but the truth of it was that he was really in pain. No physical pain he has ever felt matched that of the pain that was welling up inside of him.

The picture of Amber holding another man's hand tightly was as vivid as it was two weeks ago inside his head. He refused to believe it was true. He went to her side and asked if it wasn't true but she just looked away from him; not addressing the question. It felt like a huge slap on the face. It felt as if his efforts of wooing her once more were wasted and never appreciated. He felt like a fool. He wanted to be angry at Amber. He was but it wasn't enough for him to hate her. Anyone can see that he is madly in love with her. He'd nag her or push himself towards her but that was just his way of showing affection. He was weak when it comes to her. A simple smile from her would make any gloomy day of his brighter. He knows it sounds cheesy but it's the truth.

Things in the past for them didn't end on such a bright note but she was everything to him. It is because of this that seeing her offering her smile for another man breaks his heart. It is because of this that for the past two weeks he did nothing but sulk in his room and cry and drink himself to sleep. A few more bottles and his liver would be of no use anymore. That's how bad it was.

Key was just staring on the blank white wall of his room as he lied face down on his bed. He hasn't taken a bath and his breath smells of liquor. His bed smells of his sweat and there were spills all over. There were empty bottles piled at one corner of his room and there is a single whiskey bottle, half emptied standing on his desk. He looked horrible and it was this very horrible situation that Minho and Sulli came to see. Minho was surprised while Sulli was in tears. Sulli knew Key longer than Minho did. She knew that Key had his moments but she has always viewed him as someone strong. He had his struggles when they were still studying but he always kept a smile on his face. It was a completely different image of what was in front of her.

Key was in crumpled clothes and he lied so motionlessly on his bed. It broke Sulli's heart. She rushed to his side and hugged Key from the back.

"Oppa.. What's wrong?" She cried. Key didn't answer back.

"Oppa, what happened? Why are you like this? Please.. let us help."

He turned to face Sulli and Sulli just started to cry even more. Key looked like a mess. Minho rushed over and tugged him on the collar as if he was trying to shake some sense into Key. He tried but what followed broke Minho's heart. Key started to break down and cry as hard as Sulli. Minho let go and fell on his knees on Key's bedside. By simply looking into Key's eyes, Minho knew that Key's heart was broken. He was almost in the same situation as before. He can relate to what Key was going through.

Key sat up and Sulli kept tugging on his shirt and was asking what was going on.

"We're done.. It's over."

"Huh?"

"Amber.."

It was then Minho punched Key's face which caused the lad to land on the floor of the opposite side of his bed. This enraged Key so he tackled Minho and tried to land punches of his own. Key failed to realize that Minho himself started tearing up. 

"What do you think you're doing?!"

"Key.. Listen to me.."

"Do you even understand what I am going through?"

"Key. Key! Look at me.. It hurts. I know it hurts so bad that you just want to die so that the pain will stop and you won't feel anything anymore. It hurts so bad that you just want to disappear. I know.. I understand but listen to me. You have to get back on your feet and start moving forward. You have to get it together because you'll get over it. So pick up that sniveling of yours and prove to her your worth before it's too late.."

Key calmed down and stood still. Sulli just remained quiet on Key's bed since she felt that she knew what Minho was talking about.

"The staff are still in the office so maybe we can still meet."

"I'll get dressed."

Minho drove back with Key on the passenger seat and Sulli at the back. She volunteered and insisted to have the arrangement. Key didn't have complains nor Minho. The staff was still complete and Key apologized for his irresponsibility. He didn't elaborate but the staff were understanding of the situation. Most of them even cheered him which really touched Key. 

"As you all know, the grand launching of Minho's campaign is three days from now. We have a lot or preparations to make so I am expecting everyone to be in tip top shape. I have invited a lot of fashion magazines way back and they all pledged to arrive. Models, actors, idols and other famous personalities are also invited so everyone expect it will be a big event. But most of all, Minho.. You have to make the heaviest preparation for this."

"I am more than ready for it Key."

They further discussed the work distribution and the events that are to happen on the day of the launch. The hotel where the event will be held was reserved months back so the venue is no longer a problem. The only thing the staff had to worry about was the look of the stage since the hotel offered the catering. The meeting adjourned past five and everyone went home to savor the last night before the hectic work starts. 

"Minho.. Thank you."

"It's all good, Key."

Minho left with Sulli while Key headed into his office as he dialled someone's number; Amber's number.

 

Minho and Sulli headed downstairs as they agreed to grab a cup of iced coffee before they head their separate ways. Both of them are thankful that Key managed to pull through with the meeting. They know things are a little touchy but they hope he'll be just fine. They were also excited for what was in store for them during the launch.

"Are you ready for the launch?"

"I have been waiting for this my entire career. Of course I am more than ready for it. I've tried. I've failed and I know I can succeed this time around."

"I hope so too."

The two of them reached the door and headed for Minho's car. It was then that they saw someone cross the street which only surprised the both of them on who it was. 

 

It was Taemin.

==========================================

Update!^^ Next chapter will feature the launch and some people are going to get jealous.. :))