Chapter 17- Distance

Fidelity

It was something you could consider as the biggest shock of her life. It was as if the universe has slapped her face in more ways than one and in ways unimaginably painful. It was something she can't fathom. One does not simply accept the reality that the person you lean on so much would turn out to be the  person you had been cautious of ever since the beginning. Sulli can't exactly tell why but it made her heart ache and it made her wish that it could be an entirely different person. She felt as if things never turned into her favor. It brought tears to her eyes and made her fall weak on her knees. The bathroom floor was damp but it didn't even bother her. It will never be easy to deal with that Chingu; a person she doesn't see but feels at home with is actually Minho.

Sulli kept convincing herself that it was impossible and that the reality of knowing who Chingu really is was just a bad dream. She kept on saying to herself to wake up or that she was just drunk; that she should sober up and get rest. Sulli hates to admit it but she was at a loss on what to do. She has Minho's phone; Chingu's phone, who was just outside enjoying the night with his wife. Sulli wanted to slap her face for not even realizing it sooner. She told herself that she should've realized it was Minho when they first talked on the phone. Was she deaf? The puzzle pieces don't seem to fit but the evidence says otherwise.

"Sulli? Sulli is that you?"

Sulli was brought back by Amber's calling. The older one shook her rigorously due to her unresponsiveness. Sulli looked up and noticed that Amber looked rather stunned and was in a state of panic. She was breathing heavily and cold sweat was running down on the side of her face. Sulli can only infer that something happened. Slowly, as Sulli stood from what appeared to be a drunken state, the two of them headed outside the bathroom to the dressing room. It was more quiet and they had better chances of hearing each other.

"Eonni.. Are you okay? And what are you doing here?"

"I..I'm fi--fine. Maybe just a little drunk? I haven't had alcohol in a long while."

"Let's go home." Sulli suggested.

"What?" Amber sounded flabbergasted but she dared not further the inquiry when she saw Sulli's stern face. Indeed, she was serious in her wish to go back to their apartment. Amber was completely up for it; it was Sulli she was worried about because technically the party was just starting. Soon after, she nodded and that's when Sulli asked her to wait outside the hotel. Amber did while Sulli went back to the bartender to hand something over. Quickly, she tried to sprint out of the venue and they were home bound.

=========

"I'll just grab a drink, Krystal! Have some more fun over there.. Geesh, she's just a ball of energy. Sorry about.. that.."

Minho was drenched in sweat due to all the dancing and jumping around with Krystal after he was dragged unto the dancefloor. He took the break to talk to Sulli only to pause and realize that the girl was no longer there. He tried looking around but it was of no use since the only people he can really see clearly were those within a four feet radius.

"If you're looking for the pretty girl that was with you here at the bar earlier.. She already left." The bartender spoke.

"Are you sure? Maybe she just went to the bathroom."

Minho's phone then popped out on the table. Sulli handed it to the bartender before she left and requested if he could return it to Minho. For a brief second, Minho felt through his pockets and realize that he did forget his phone with Sulli.

"She gave this to me and asked to return it to you. I don't know why but she sounded as if she was in a hurry to go home. It must've been because of the girl that dragged you on the dance floor. Better be careful next time."

There was a sense of regret with the way Minho took back his cellphone from the bartender. Sulli did leave. It wasn't so much that he'd rather not have Krystal around but he wished he could've talked to Sulli a bit longer. They were just talking about their high school friends and their fun experiences when his wife arrived. He won't admit it but Minho was a bit saddened by the fact that Sulli didn't bother bidding a proper goodbye.


Amber went straight to her room the moment they arrived while Sulli walked lazily the moment the door was opened. She slumped herself on one of the dining table chairs as she stared at the sink that was dripping. The sound of the water as it hits the steel sink resonated in the silence of the room. She was literally at a loss for words on how she would feel about the situation. There would be phases into accepting the reality and one would be denial. She has somehow overcome that but it still bothered her that the very person she shared late night conversations with was actually Minho.

Phase two came in like a speeding train. As she was seated quietly on the chair, memories of her first encounter with Chingu came rushing in. She was drunk, hurt and vulnerable that she literally threw herself unto the guy. Memories of the heated and passionate kiss that they shared made Sulli blush. She knew she wasn't supposed but she did. 

"Jesus.. And to think we did it with tongue." She whispered.

She fixed herself a bottle of beer as a source of comfort. Inevitably, Sulli was still in phase two. Soon after the memory of the kiss, she remembered the nights she cried herself to sleep as she talked about Taemin to Chingu. She closed her eyes and remembered how soothing his voice was. It helped her sleep. It provided such comfort but now that she knew it was Minho, things seem to have an entirely different meaning already. Fixated on the memories and trying to reject them, Sulli started to walk back and forth in the living room. She was debating whether or not the actual feelings she felt as she talked to Chingu were genuine even if technically Chingu was Minho. She was telling herself the possibility that her subconscious must've known it was Minho; which this thought drives her crazy. She honestly believes that Minho has no effect on her subconscious whatsoever.

Phase three started when she started to compromise and think about what she needs to do. Should she act dumb and just let the incident go? Should she tell him the truth on who they already were in each other's lives and what they meant? Or should she just keep quiet and slowly gain some distance betweent the two of them?

Sulli won't admit it but the third option sounds painful to her. She was slowly getting used to Minho as Minho and that she was getting more comfortable having him around but now that the truth on what he means in her life changed her outlook as to whether or not she should still keep distance. As she debated, her cellphone rang which gave her a scare. She looked to see who it was and her heart stopped for a moment.

It was Chingu.. It was Minho calling. Sulli checked the time and the party wasn't supposed to be over just yet. She felt herself panic and lost on what she should do but ultimately decided to reject the call. She feels a tad guilty rejecting it because it would be the very first time she has ever rejected talking to Chingu. She bit her lip and left her phone as she headed upstairs to sleep. She felt like a mouse running away from a cat but she felt it was the right thing to do.


It was early but they were headed for the Seoul Central Police district. As "interns" or formally as junior policemen, the station has prepared a pseudo case wherein they needed to not only outline on what should happen but to also perform the actual steps in handling the scene. Most of them expressed excitement but Amber was an entirely different case. She felt apathetic towards the activity; a complete deviation from her usual self. This did not escape Henry's watchful eye.

"Babe, you all right?" he whispered to Amber.

"Yes. I'm fine. I just lack some sleep but I'm good."

"You sure? I can take you home."

Amber shook her head and insisted for them to continue on with the activity. It was the day she was extremely excited for weeks prior but her reaction towards it that day were completely different. She tried to engage herself in the activity but even her seniors deemed her performance flat and unproductive. It's because of this they requested Amber to change and head home to get her head "straight". Henry courteously requested to be dismissed as well to assist Amber.

"Amber, wait up!"

"You didn't have to bother Henry. You'll miss class."

"I'll be fine. I can just read on some more. Most of our classmates follow a textbook anyway so it'll be all right. Want to go somewhere? My treat.."

"Bubble tea sounds great!"

The couple then headed for bubble tea. Shops they frequent were mostly closed that early but they were lucky enough to find one in Agpujeong. The shop was pretty small and the menu was limited. Because of this, the two of them headed to a nearby coffee shop that can be accessed thru walking. They did their business and Amber whipped herself up a personal cup which had less sugar and no espresso. As they walked outside, Amber noticed someone in the line only to realize it was Key. Their eyes met but neither spoke. Amber hurried in her steps as she headed outside back to Henry's car and immediately placed herself in the passenger seat.

"What was that about? Are you sure you're okay? Come on Amber.. I'm your boyfriend. Let me help you."

"I just wanted to sit down immediately. The shop was a little crowded. I told you, Henry. I'm fine. Can you please take me home?"

"I love you Amber."

"I..I love you too."


The tides have completely turned for Minho even after the very first night he was revealed as the new muse for Key's brand. It was early in the morning and he decided to head to the studio early hoping Key would be there. Minho passed by a local organic food store chain only to be welcomed by a swarm of 12 girls literally trapping him in the middle. He was immobilized. The girls had their hands raised with papers and pens asking him for an autograph. It gave him a scare but Minho was happy to be noticed. It was the first time such a thing happened to him. 

The girls asked for signatures and pictures which Minho gladly gave away. The girls were thankful and squealed as they walked away. It brought a smile to Minho's lips which made him say "So this is how it feels like."

He ordered his chicken salad drove off to work. As he neared, Minho looked up to one of the biggest billboard ads there were and was ecstatic when he realized that the one posted was his main poster for the campaign; his close up shot. The next one was two of him side by side in the plain shirt and ripped denim jeans. Minho felt that he was in some sort of dream; a dream he'd never wake up from. It was all to surreal for him. It was such great news that he wishes to share it to those most dear to him; which includes Chingu. It surprised him to have Chingu reject his call but he thought maybe the time wasn't so ideal.

"I'll just call some other time."

As soon as Minho arrived in the studio and as he predicted, Key was already there. The designer enjoyed himself a cup of coffee which smelled like caramel and chocolate. He was looking through some papers which is why he didn't even realize Minho's arrival. Minho had to knock to make Key aware of his presence.

"Busy?"

"No no.. Go ahead."

Minho never took the time to get a good look of Key's office. Nerves would usually take over whenever he enters the space. Only then did he notice the paintings on the walls that were of abstract content. Some were colorful, others had two to three colors. There were also a few books stacked on a table that had three frames which held photos of Key and people he knew. However, one thing stood out from the room. Key's office wasn't that big but it was sufficient for someone that enjoys a spacious room. There was an unfinished model of what looked like a house. It was situated in what looked like a beach but the house was barely done. He checked it out and later found a label.

"Amber Josephine Liu..Amber..Amber?? Amber?! Why do you have a scale model made by Amber here?"

"I took it from here.. That house was originally complete but it broke. It was made by Amber when she was still an Architecture student."

Minho dared not ask anymore details. Instead, he just decided to appreciate the intricacies of the scale model. Only if it wasn't broken, Minho would be able to appreciate more details as much as he could. Members of the staff started timing in and it was noticeable that most of them either overslept or were suffering from hangovers. What he noticed however was that Sulli didn't time in even if it an hour past the agreed time for work.

Key called everyone's attention and extended his congratulations to everyone for preparing a successful event. Key was looking through some articles published by different media outlets. He was happy to see that almost 98% percent were satisfied with the event. The authors also expressed interest on Minho and how fantastic the campaign photos were shot. It made him proud. It felt that the notion that he can help catapult the career of a male model always seemed to be true.

"I would like to thank everyone that did their best in preparing the event last night. I know we are tired and hungover but I express my gratitude for coming in to work. Almost all of the feedback from different magazines were positive and looking forward what we have to offer this season. Let's give ourselves applause. But most of all, I would like to congratulate Minho the most. The treacherous journey is just beginning here. Your agency contacted me late last night and told me that you have received offers for magazine interviews."

"Really? They haven't told me about it yet."

"I believe they are still finalizing the details before they tell you but nevertheless, congratulations!"

Minho replied with a smile and a nod. The fact that a magazine wants to interview him and him alone gives him a feeling of satisfaction. It would be the first time in his career and it feels as if he was slowly being able to step out of Krystal's shadow. The staff were dismissed early but Sulli was still nowhere in sight. Key noticed Minho's uneasiness and asked what was going on.

"You look pretty uneasy since earlier. What's going on?"

"It's Sulli. She didn't time in for work."

"She called me last night that she wouldn't be able to go to work today. She said she was feeling feverish. If you want, you can come with me. I'll be going over to their place in a while to visit her."

Minho's face lit up and agreed like a little kid that wanted to go to the amusement park. He followed Key to the designer's car and they first proceeded to the grocery store to grab something for Sulli before they headed to the apartment.  It would be Minho's first time near the apartment and the first time seeing what Sulli's place is actually like. Key parked his sedan across the apartment. Minho followed closely behind.

"Is this it?" He asked. Key nodded.

Key knocked for several times. No one answered the door immediately but after knocking for the third time the door lock clicked and the door opened. It was Amber that welcomed them. She took a step back when she saw Key hover over her. It appeared that he was taller than the usual.

"Is Sulli here?"

"N--no. She went uhhh.. Went out for a while. She'll be back in a few."

"Can we go inside?"

"Sure."

The two men walked in and Amber made way for them. She offered them water and beer which they both declined. Key sat comfortably on the couch while Minho's eyes wandered. The place wasn't how he would've imagined. In his mind, Sulli's place would be smaller and looked a lot more hipster. The apartment they were in were like any other apartment that can be found in Seoul. The dining room is directly with the kitchen which is connected to the living room. The rooms were most probably be upstairs. The door creaked.

"Eonni..I'm home. Kyaaaah! What are you two doing here?"

Minho smugged and felt as is they caught Sulli. The girl didn't look sick at all. She rushed in to put the groceries down and tidied herself. Amber giggled.

"Eonni, why didn't you tell me?!"

"They just came a few minutes ago. My phone was upstairs."

"Aish.. Oppa, you should've called."

"I didn't know your number." Minho blurted.

"I meant Key oppa."

"Ohh, sorry."

Sulli wasn't really able to shoo the men away. Instead, she offered to have them stay over for lunch. She bought some samgyupsal meat which was meant for her and Amber but it was plenty for the two girls. Amber prepped the vegetables while Sulli prepared the meat. The two guys were at a loss on what should they do. In the end, Key stood and helped Sulli with the meat. This forced Minho to get stuck with Amber. Feeling playful, Minho wetted his palm and sprinkled water on Sulli which the girl totally ignored. Minho did this over and over again until she got a reaction.

"Yah, oppa! Stop it!"

"Aigoo, our Sulli wants me to stop."

Sulli stomped her feet and glared at Minho. This made Minho stop and Key cackle. In turn, the model was quiet the entire time he and Amber washed the vegetables and prepared the side dishes. Sulli chopped the meat while Key grilled it over the stove. After what felt like an hour, the food was ready. All of them sat at the dining table with Minho across Sulli and Key across Amber.

"Minho is due for some interviews maybe within the next few weeks. A lot of magazines have taken interest in his story." 

No one responded to Key's statement since all three were busy with their food. Minho would take the chance to ask Sulli to pass on the sauces and some dishes. The girl would do but she'd avert from Minho's gaze every time. She wouldn't look Minho in the eye which the lad eventually noticed. Amber on the other appeared to be completely ignored by Key as they ate. Key would also ask Sulli to pass on some side dishes, Amber would reach for them but he won't take it unless she puts it down. It irked Amber but dismissed it. They didn't enjoy any conversations over the meal as much as someone would expect. They ended silently and Amber washed the dishes. 

"Uhh.. Where is the comfort room?" Minho asked.

"It's upstairs. Come." Sulli said.

The two walked slowly upstairs while Key just looked around. He and Amber were left downstairs but neither or them talked to each other. No one took the initiative to start a conversation. Meanwhile, Minho and Sulli were finally upstairs and were alone. Minho grabbed the opportunity to ask Sulli what was wrong.

"Jinri-ah. Is something wrong? Why are you avoiding my gaze?"

"I'm not! No. It's nothing." Sulli replied as she continued to avert Minho's gaze. Frustrated with what was going on, Minho pushed Sulli near the wall and cornered her with is arms. The girl continued to lower her head. Minho clicked his tongue and grabbed Sulli's chin and forced her to face him. What he saw was a reaction he did not expect. He let go and proceeded back downstairs and asked Key if they could go back to the studio. Sulli didn't follow them but instead slumped herself on the floor where Minho left her. Amber was surprised with how quick the two left but didn't bother saying goodbye.

Key was just clueless the entired time they drove back to the studio. He didn't want to ask Minho questions but he was certain something happened while he was upstairs with Sulli. Key's hunch was true. Minho's thoughts were preoccupied with the sight of Sulli and how the girl reacted when he forced her to face him. She was on the verge of tears but was blushing. She was obviously blushing. The girl's cheeks were flushed pink as she looked Minho in the eyes. His heart skipped a beat with what he saw and he panicked not knowing how to react. Asking Key to drive back with him was his means of escape.

They parked back in the studio and Minho went out first to head back to his car. Before he was able to, Key took the chance to ask him a question.

"Minho!"

"Huh?"

"I know I'm not really in the position to ask this. But I wish to protect Sulli. She is like a little sister to me and I treat her dearly. Now may I ask, Do you like her? Do you like Sulli? What is she to you?"

"I.."

==========================================================

Was supposed to update this last night. T^T But once again fell asleep. LOL. Anyway, a little cliffhanger for you guys to watch out for. ;))
Taemin will reappear in a few and something will happen in the next chapter; something you won't expect (I think). Thank you for reading this chapter.