Chapter 4- Onset

Fidelity

The morning sun was kissing him in the face. The warmth was enveloping him. It would've been a wonderful morning but the thumping in his head and the curdling in his stomach was not helping. He felt to his side and found that the bedside was empty. He looked to the white ceiling and teardrop chandelier that was towering over the bed. He was at home. He was at their home. He turned to his side and scratched through his head. 

He can hear the sound of sizzling oil which was definitely coming from the kitchen. It was Krystal, for sure. The two of them had a pretty ugly argument last night but other than that, other details of what happened remained a blur. He did recall talking to someone but he was too drunk to remember the details of their conversation. Minho stood up and headed to the bathroom. He proceeded to the kitchen after a much needed vomit and his wife welcomed him with a warm smile. She presented to him a plate of ham omelette with a spelled "I'm sorry" made out of ketchup.

"I'm really sorry, oppa." He enveloped her in his embrace as he rested his chin against the top of her head.

"I overacted a little. I suppose you meant no harm but I was just to agitated because of your friends. I'm sorry as well."

The couple let out sighs and went on to eat their breakfast. Despite the spiteful comments Krystal's friends tend to give, it would be a no brainer to see that the two of them are in love. The evident gap in their careers is not felt whenever the two of them are together. And even if they did not know each other for long before the wedding, they know it was the right decision. Add to that, instead of actually eating, the couple just fiddled with the sliced up omelette and played by putting ketchup on each other's faces.

"Hey Soojung.."

"Hmm?"

"What time did we arrive last night?"

"Well, we left even if the party wasn't over just yet. I checked my watch and it was a little past two in the morning when we arrived home. Why?"

"Nothing.."

"By the way.. A gentleman was nice enough to help me lift you to our car. I wasn't able to thank him properly but I wasn't just able to carry you. You were heavy and reeked of alcohol. I wasn't able to withstand the smell. A gracious neighbor that was still awake at the time we arrived helped me bring you to our apartment. To tell you the truth, I am a tad disappointed."

"Why is that?"

"Well, you had a bottle of whiskey in hand and it was more than half emtpy. I felt guilty as well. I don't like you drinking like that. It's bad for your health and last thing I want is for you to develop a beer belly or something." Krystal teased as she ran her fingers slowly across Minho's abdomen.  The two laughed.

Soon enough, she escaped the embrace and headed to their room to prepare her things. She was to head on location for a photoshoot. If he knew correctly, it was an ad campaign of a fashion brand that has long been interested in Krystal. Even before they were married, they wanted Krystal to be the main model of their ads but she kept turning them down because the fashion brand felt too mature for Krystal. The modeling agency where the two of them both work at felt that it was too early for her to sign into such contracts. 

"I'm not sure on what time I will be back. The location is somewhere near Ulsan because they want a coast themed background for the photoshoot. It will take us almost two hours to get there and I don't know how the actual shoot will last.."

"Shh.. It's fine. Just give me a call if you won't be making it early. If ever you will be staying over night, just text or call me, okay? If the time permits, I might fetch you and we will go out. Okay?" Krystal nodded. And a little past, ten in the morning, Krystal left and Minho was all alone in the apartment they lived in. He slumped himself into the sofa and the television. The morning news appeared. There was a rally near the city hall of Seoul; student activists fighthing for higher budget for public education.

 


 

Amber slept by Sulli's side the entire night. The girl was a mess early that morning. She slept in her gown and didn't even remove her make-up. Her breath smelled that of alcohol and expulsed food. But she knew that there would be a concrete reason as to why she turned out that way. Amber knew without a doubt that it was because of Taemin. She's always been skeptical towards the guy especially with the dynamics of the relationship the two had. No one knew that they were together and yet he would meet her so casually as if nothing was wrong with their relationship.

The younger groaned and stretched which made Amber decided to finally stand and brew two cups of coffee for the two of them. By the time she returned to Sulli's room, the girl was already awake and sat on the floor against her bed with blank look on her face. 

"Here.."

"Thanks." Sulli sipped a mouthful not minding the temperature of what she drank. 

"Well?"

"Eonni.." Sulli complained and tried to evade the question at hand. Amber put her cup down and sat on the bed glaring at her dongsaeng. They were bound to talk about it or else Sulli will end up sleepless for another two days or so and would disrupt Amber's body clock like how it is everytime Sulli and Taemin fought.

"We have to talk about it eventually. It'll be useless to run away from it. You were a mess last night! You weren't even in the proper mind to contact me and ask me to fetch you. Do you know how angry I was last night?! Add to that, that Key actually had to bring you home! Of all the people, why did it..."

"Eonni.. eonni calm down!"

"Sorry.. But seriously. You were in deep last night Ssul. And I know that it is about Taemin. So spill the beans.. What happened?"

"Taemin's a jerk.. He's big, ugly and worhless jerk. We were supposed to meet in the hallway as we agreed upon the moment you dropped me off. I waited but he texted me to meet him inside. I did! But the entire time, he was aloof and appeared to be in a rush. He left my side and I followed him. It was then that I found that he was busy with his father's friends and his girlfriend."

"Girlfriend? Wait.. what?!"

"Son Naeun.. His father did the honor of introducing that girl as Taemin's girlfriend. It broke my heart. I decided to break up with him. I just had too much. I've reached my limit. I can't keep going after him and waiting for him to stand his ground for the two of us."

Amber smiled and was a little surprised. Sulli wasn't crying or anything. It appeared that she is more angry than sad of what happened. Amber can't say that she is totally happy for Sulli since she did break up with Taemin but the relationship she wasn't up for met an abrupt end. The younger cleaned up while Amber brought out some paperwork. She was working on cases the academy presented to them. Classes will resume by Tuesday and she still had to go through three more papers before she can say she is prepared for the demo class they had to conduct.

By then Sulli was just staring intently towards her. "Do you want something, Ssul?"

Sulli just shook her head and smiled. "Ani.. There's nothing I really want but something still boggles me. I just can't make a resolve with myself as to why you decided to drop out of Architecture. You were graduating in less than four months  but you decided to drop out. It just doesn't make sense."

"There are some things better left unsaid, my dear friend. It was a little too late when I realized that I really don't want to design houses and stuff related to that."

"By the way, you mentioned that Key oppa brought me home. It's been so long since I last met him. Did you two say hi? You haven't seen him for a long while too, right?"

"Ww--who? K..key? Yeah.. It's been a long while."

"Oh yeah! Ssul.. You were smiling last night and your lipstick was messed up. Is there something I need to know?"

Amber tried to divert the conversation and her efforts deemed successful. With her words, Sulli got flustered and started to stutter; obviously panicking. She kept mumbling.

"Ahh..well.. you see.."

"What? Don't tell me you actually made out with someone when you were drunk. Come on, Sulli.."

"No!" Sulli insisted but Amber believed otherwise. Eventually, she gave in and confessed that indeed she made out with someone. She insisted it was nothing harmful and it was a casual make out. Amber believed her words but she was somehow lying as well. It was more than casual. The kiss that they shared felt as if it was a kiss that the two of them needed in a long while. It was a kiss that made her insides melt. She feels a little guilty for feeling such a way, considering that she knows that the man could be romantically involved with someone else. But that wrong felt so right. She would be lying if she imposed on herself that she did not enjoy the brief interaction.

She stopped bugging Amber and headed back to her room to look through some magazines and be inspired for potential looks she can work upon if she landed a styling job in the next few weeks or so. So called "mom jeans" were making a comeback. Skater skirts and cropped tops were still a trend but considering it was still winter, women don't wear the clothes as frequently as they did. 

She enjoys scanning through the magazines. Several more pages and an entire stack was in queue. She didn't mind. It helps her ease her mind; the exact remedy she needs to distract herself from thoughts about Taemin.

 


 

Being alone was not one of Minho's specialties. He may seem quiet around Krystal's friends but it's a special case. He'd usually try and conduct conversations with people and talk about the most random of things. He'd start up conversations with food, not weather. He figured it's a lot better as a conversation starter. He dressed up and drove to the modeling agency where he and his wife are signed to. It hasn't been long since he signed. Ever since he married Krystal, he had his contract terminated from his previous agency and sign with the agency he's currently signed to. 

Minho greeted everyone politely. From the front desk lady up to the administrators. Narsha soon came and greeted Minho. She is one of the team in charge of taking in contracts for the models and distribute the project.

"Minho!"

"Noona.."

"How have you been, dear? What brings you here over at the company? Don't get me wrong.. But you rarely visit. What's different?"

"Ahh..You see.. Well.. Krystal is out of town. She told me she'd be heading to Ulsan for a photoshoot."

"Right! The big bosses finally agreed to let her sign an ad campaign for Promod. Though.. If I am not mistaken, she might take longer than a day. She'll be having another photoshoot for keds and a swimsuit collection. It's been so long since she stepped back in front of the camera so brands are really falling in line to book her for an ad. Though, we can't really honor everything.. You wife is just.."

Narsha stopped with her words and covered out of embarrassment and guilt. It's quite a hot topic in the agency about the contrasting careers of the husband and wife.

"I'm sorry.."

"It's fine. Got used to it anyway, so it's no big deal."

"A new fashion house expressed interest to get a male muse for their brand. The big bosses decided to include your portfolio as one of the choices for the position. I'll let you know about other details in a few days, okay?" Minho nodded and Narsha soon left. He continued to scan through the corridors. Different pictures of the models signed to the agency are spread throughout the halls. As he appreciated one of Krystal's early lingerie ads, Siwan stood beside him.

"You really hit jackpot with Krystal. I say this with no malice, okay? But I can't believe she was just past 20 when she did this ad for Calvin Klein."

"Yeah.. Indeed, I am lucky."

"By the way, heard of the search of a fashion brand for male muse? I was informed that they'll be sending in my portfolio. How about yours? Don't get me wrong, Minho. I am as frustrated as you whenever Krystal's friends make remarks but come on.. I have a better and more packed portfolio. Siwan bowed to leave while Minho decided to head to the canteen. How he wished to talk to someone that very moment. In that instant, a memory came to him. He scanned through his contacts and saw "Chingu." A picture of a masked person came to his head. He recalled a faint incident where he was actually talking to that masked person. A message was then sent to Chingu.

Chingu! I am not sure if you remember, but we met last night. Today is quite a bummer.. Though I must tell you I was able to reconcile to that person. Okay..Sorry. I am just really feeling a little down at the moment and I say utter weird words. Don't mind me. Please don't judge me on this.Aigoo.. Be well, chingu.

He said to himself that he wouldn't expect but he kept looking at his cellphone's screen. As he was about to dismiss the idea that someone will reply, his phone rang. He checked and unconsciously smiled.

 

It was Chingu.

=======================================================

An overdue update. It's pretty much the same and exact reason. University is crazy. Anyway, I can't really say much. I am just really sleepy while writing this so pardon me for any grammatical or spelling issues. Feel free to share your thoughts. Comments are much appreciated! ^^