Chapter 5- Work

Fidelity

She was running out of breath. It was something she did not expect happening any time soon. It felt that the supposed tragedy she experienced just a few days back was turning out to be a blessing. Slowly, her dreams are becoming a reality. The effort she has been putting into her work is finally bearing fruit.

Sulli is being called over to work as an on-site fashion stylist for a magazine. The photographer she previously worked with on the past photoshoot she did styling for recommended her to the styling staff of the magazine. Sulli was lying quietly on her bed, staring blankly to the ceiling when she received the call. In that instant, she jumped out of her bed and ran across the living room taking Amber by surprise who was busy reading through some case files.

She packed her bags with clothing good for three days and headed to the bus station. It was that very moment, as she sat and stared unknowingly to the express road that her cellphone rang. It was an unknown number. Her eyebrows scrunched and her head tilted as she tried to recall whether or not the number was familiar. It wasn't. She opened the message and was surprised to have someone call her "Chingu". She examined into the deepest of her thoughts on who it might have been but to no avail. She hit on reply and questioned the person on the other side of the conversation on who he or she was.

"Chingu? Who is this, anyway?" she whispered. Assuming the person will no longer push through with the effort of conducting a conversation with her, she locked her phone and closed her eyes to try and have some shut eye. A long night will surely follow. However, before she can even dare to breathe, her phone beeped once more and it was the stranger once again. Sulli's eyes widened in surprise. Never did she expect a random person would put the words "tongue", "kiss", "ravaged", "moan", "breathing" and other related words placed in a single sentence. Blood rushed to her cheeks and her face surely reddened.

Who was he? She thought. But as she was about to ignore and dismiss the idea of even going further along the conversation, she finally recollected of the incident the person was talking about. Having full confidence in herself that it was surely a man she did those things with,  Sulli decided to reply and apologize for what happened.

"What am I supposed to say to this man?" She uttered as she stared on her screen. The woman beside her was already staring at her, perhaps wondering why a girl like her is talking to her cellphone. It was clear in her head that she did not want to prolong their already shallow connection. Sulli said to herself that it was a mistake; that what she did was stupid. She was highly vulnerable since she was distraught over Taemin. If she was in her right mind that moment, there was in no way she will associate herself to an already committed man.

She started to type on her cellphone; careful on what words she should say. However, halfway through her apologetic farewell message, another message from the man came in. A message which made her thumbs stop and have her mind think her actions over.

I see. You might not remember be. It is understandable. It's all fair. The only clear thing I remember about you was what you wore. Your face is all a blur to me, to be honest. I must've creeped you out for messaging you. But you did save your number on my phone? keke. I'm kidding. I just want to thank you for listening when I needed someone to talk to

A deep sigh was heaved and repetitive clicking sounds were heard as she tapped on the backspace icon on the keyboard. She had a small sense of guilt come over her as she read the message. She did remember the personal conversation she had with the man. They were both vulnerable that night. Both of them can take the blame, really. But it was an honest mistake..No harm done anyway. He made up with his special someone and she was gearing towards a better future. She tapped a new message into her phone saying "I was glad to be of help. Are you busy?"

 


 

A face of worry turned into a face of delight. Minho was discouraged due to the fact that Chingu doesn't really remember who he was. It was understandable though. They were both drunk and memories of each other practically turned into a big bowl of blur. But as he received the inquiry about whether or not he was busy turned his frown upside down. It felt nice to know that she can take the time to talk to him.

He replied and mentioned that he was not all too busy. But he made sure to phrase it in a way that wouldn't make him appear to be some sort of bum with nothing else to do. He did mention that he is in the workplace (Technically, he really is) though. Minho was waiting for any announcements regarding the search for a male muse. He was hopeful because he believes he does have a shot at it.

Noon quickly turned into mid-afternoon and he was still talking to Chingu. His friend mentioned that she will be heading out of town for work. She did not specify where but he said he was envious of her, wishing he can go out of town because of work as well. In turn, she sent reassuring words which said that he will have his moment eventually.

Their conversations didn't feel dragging. Well besides the fact the both of them tend to reply after 8 to 15 minutes into the topic, they change the things of they talk about quickly. One moment they were talking about their favorite food which would eventually lead to what favorite brands they like to wear. They were pretty basic questions but both felt it was those basic questions they missed to talk about to other people.

It was already past three and Chingu said she has arrived and will be busy from there on. He bid a temporary farewell and wished her good luck. It was already past three o'clock by then. The sun will set in a few. Krystal's photoshoot will definitely start by five. Just before the sun sets and immediately after the dusk. The sky would be colored orange and would provide a beautiful tint to the photographs.

 


 

Sulli headed straight on site. Taking a careful look on the directions and following them meticulously, it was a tad too late for her when she realized the shoot would be on the beach. She was already dragging her trolley along the beach. The breeze from the sea felt like icicles penetrating through her skin and bones. Her skirt and cotton shirt were not doing her any favors. Let alone, her low-cut Oxford shoes are not that comfortable to walk in on the sand. The cold was no joke. But it was expected.. Summer ads are shot during winter most of the times to have them ready once summer arrives.

As she walked slowly along the coast, a woman started to wave her hand at her. She looked carefully. It was the photographer that recommended her. The slow steps she made turned into gallops in a second. It was the woman that made her dream come to a reality.

"Miryo-ssi."

"Eyy.. This girl. No need to be so formal. Just call me eonni! I thought you won't be able to make it since it was so sudden. I am really thankful you were able to come."

"Of course I'd come! I can't pass up the opportunity. Also, I should be the one thankful to you. I would be spending my day on my bed if you hadn't called."

"Then I am glad I saved you from a lackluster afternoon then."

Miryo then took hold of Sulli's trolley bag and walked into one of the huge tents there was on the coast. The younger's mouth gaped wide open in awe. It was a huge tent which had several racks of clothes; bathing suits that were bikinis and one piece, beach gowns, sandals and a whole lot of accessories. She walked along and looked at everything with such excitement. Similar to a young girl looking for the perfect doll.

"We'll be shooting a pretty big ad today. The styling team of the brand will spearhead on what needs to be done but they did ask for a stylist I would like to be on board on this work day. I really liked what you did at the last photoshoot I worked on. Make me proud, kiddo."

"Oh, I promise you! I will. I will really do my best."

Miryo was about to step out of the tent to let Sulli prepare the necessary things but before completely doing so, she gave Sulli a little tease on what is up ahead.

"By the way, I think you'll really like the day and evening up ahead."

"Why do you say so, eonni?"

"You'll know when you see it. Pick out the bathing suits you think can be included. The head of the styling team will look through it. Be ready by 4:30pm."

Sulli was more than determined to prove her ability and potential to the styling team of the brand. It might help her to even catapult her career to more mainstream brands and work for different designers. She decided to pick out at least five pairs of bikinis, two pairs of one piece and three different beach gowns. She laid out the accessories to be used for each look. It took her almost an hour to accomplish each one, making sure the clothes match.

Just three minutes before 4:30, the styling head arrived with Miryo and looked at the sets Sulli came up with. What was nerve wrecking was that the woman showed no signs of approval nor disapproval. She just stared at the clothes and came out the tent. She shouted for the model to come out and quickly returned after. By then, she was already staring at Sulli.

"Well?"

"Huh?"

"I believe you have prepared the clothes, yes? Well, head out now, shall we? I don't suppose you thought we would let you lay your hands on the endorser?"

Sulli walked out in disbelief, feeling extremely offended by the remark the woman made. She sounded as if she saw Sulli as a filthy, lowly human being who had no right to touch a model. She headed to the photographer's tent and warmed herself up by dressing in more weather-appropriate clothing. She soon came out and the model was about to come out as well.

Sulli stopped in her steps when she realized who the model is. It was Krystal Jung.. The Krystal Jung. She has been out of the scene for some time but Sulli did hear of the news that she has decided to go back in front of the camera. She never thought she'll be part of the renowned model's comeback print ad. She was literally fangirling inside. They were of the same age but she has admired Krystal ever since the girl has started modelling. She rushed over to Miryo's side to get a closer look.

Krystal has always been flawless and Sulli was starstrucked. Despite not posing for some time, the way she would be posing felt more like she was dancing with the photographer. It was such a sight to behold. Every look that was given to her, she wore with such perfection. That's how Krystal appeared to Sulli; a model that can do no wrong. Because of this, she was too blinded to even realize that the head stylist changed the set of clothes she prepared. The bikini may have been retained but most of the accessories and a pair of one piece was changed. Once the photoshoot for that day ended at 6:20pm, Sulli burst right into Krystal's tent.

"Ma'am, excuse me?"

"What are you doing here?"

"I believe I am entitled to know as to why you did not use the clothes I prepared? I acknowledge your skill and I don't question your ability but isn't it disrespectful to simply disregard another person's effort? I wish for an explanation." Sulli demanded.

The head stylist departed herself from Krystal, fixed her posture and stared at Sulli straight in the eye. "Since you did mention that you do not question my ability, very well then.. You said you put effort in your work, then explain to me, did you even consider the color of the pieces you chose? They were mostly of the shade of blue. Do you want the color of the sea wash out the color of the clothing? Why not choose more reds and oranges? We have seven racks of clothing prepared. Now, if you think I am wrong, please feel free to walk out of this tent but if not, well if you excuse me. Krystal-ssi, I apologize. Please come with me."

Krystal hesitated and looked at Sulli pitifully. The head stylist insisted for them to leave. The verging tears streamed down the moment the two walked out of the tent. Miryo rushed in to comfort Sulli. It was pretty rough.

The sky turned dark fairly early and the entire team were already busying themselves with grilled pork, beef, friend chicken and beer, Sulli sat away from everyone else, shameful of her actions. The cool sea breeze helps her take her mind off of some things. Faint footsteps were then heard.

"Do you mind?" A voice spoke. Sulli looked up to see who it was, surprised to find out it was Krystal.

"Ohh my.. I'm.."

"Please don't leave." Krystal quickly wished. Sulli sat down comfortably and pointed over to the free chair opposite her.

"Most of the staff are smoking and I don't really like the smell of cigarettes. I hope you don't mind me. The wind is really chilly, isn't it?"

"I don't mind at all.Please feel free to stay."

"It's your first time, isn't it?"

With shame building up inside, Sulli blurted out an apology. She said sorry for what happened that afternoon. She said she was shamful and has no right to even talk to someone like Krystal. However, instead of just accepting it. Krystal let out a laughter.

"Forgive me. I do see the sincerity of your apology. It's just that you are an odd girl. You almost went on your knees just to apologize. Please don't think I was mad at you. I understand where you are coming from. So relax, will you?" Krystal replied. Sulli felt a sense of relief. The latter was about to conduct a more sensible conversation but the project head announced to everyone to pack the equipment and call it a day. Krystal bid her goodbye and went ahead of everyone else. Sulli helped in storing some of the clothes and eventually bid her good night to Miryo and the rest of the team. She was a sudden guest so no hotel accomodation was provided for her. It was not a problem. Sulli has arranged a reservation at another place.

She took a cab and asked the driver to drop her off at the hotel. The economy room she had would suffice her need of a shelter just fine. It was more than enough to help her forget what happened with the help of the bed. She took out her things and reached for her phone. It only had 4% of power left. Sulli increased the brightness and the indicator immediately turned to 3%,

She scrolled to the messages app and messaged someone.

Tough day. . T^T

With that, the last remaining power the phone had died out and the remaining energy Sulli had has worn out. She looked blankly at the ceiling then closed her eyes and immediately dozed off to sleep. That day has been rough. She lied down wishing the morning ahead will be a lot better.

==============================

I at updating. :( Forgive me dear suscribers for the long intervals between updates. I am really trying to update as much as I can as long as school requirements don't bug me. This chapter circulated more on Sulli. The next would be on Minho. Please stay tuned! Thank you.