Chapter 14- Presence

Fidelity

Sulli missed the warmth of her own bed and room. The moment she was in just a few minutes ago was embarrassing but somehow she knew she can't help it. The moment she step foot inside their house and saw her mother, she cried and smothered her mother's clothing with her tears and snot as she sniveled. She hasn't seen her mother in years and let alone get the chance to bond with her younger brother. The look on her mother's face as she caressed Sulli's face was embedded in Sulli's mind. It was a look of both pain and happiness. It's been years since she has felt the warmth of her mother's touch.

A knock disturbed Sulli's thoughts. It was her mother who brought in a mug of hot cocoa that was boiled of raw cacao tablets. The scent of the cocoa and the sight of the mug placed a smile on Sulli's face. It had always been her favorite and it was a relief that they had cocoa at home.

"I brought your favorite."

"Didn't know you had cocoa tablets in stock. Thanks eomma."

"I always have some. San-ee likes them as well. I don't know but he takes a lot after you even if you two are years apart. I find it amusing, really. Anyway, I am just glad you are back home Jinri even if it's just for vacation."

"Me too. I'm sorry that I can't really stay for long but maybe when I get the chance to go on a long vacation I'll stay here."

Sulli sat down with her mother on her bed and they held each other's hands. Sulli smiled but there was pain concealed beneath it and her mother knew that something was bothering her daughter even if she won't dare admit it.

"You know you can always come home when trouble comes. Give me or one of your brothers a call and we'll be more than willing to fetch you in Seoul."

"No. It's fine, eomma. I'm all grown up now. I can do this."

It was then that her mother gave a sly smile which only confused Sulli. Soon enough, she started poking her own daughter which caused Sulli to burst out laughing. She pleaded her mom to stop and asked what it was about but it wasn't until one would consider an overkill did Sulli's mother stop.

"Stop it, eomma! What are you on about?"

"Oh come on.. You said you've changed yet you still sneak around. I heard the revving engine of a car a little bit earlier when you knocked on the door. Someone dropped you off right? Who was it? Was it the same guy that you used to go out with during high school? It's such a pity that I never met him in person. You could've brought him over, you know?"

"Eomma.. No. It was just a friend. No need to fuss about it."

"All right. I was just kidding. Anyway, it's nice to have you around even if it's just a bit my dear. Get some rest. Will you eat breakfast here?"

"Yes please."

Her mother soon bid her farewell and turned off the lights. Nothing much has changed in her room ever since she left for Seoul. The bed still felt the same and her clothes that were kept neatly inside her cabinet looked as if they were untouched just like how she left them. Everything looks the same except for a few pictures that was taken down; pictures she asked her mother to take down. They were pictures of her and some old friends back in high school; included in those pictures were Minho. She just shrugged off her mother's remark on not introducing Minho. It wasn't so much because she didn't want to but it's because she can't. They were never official in the first place even if they knew something was there.

"It's a thing of the past anyway.. Why bring it up?" she murmured. Shortly after, she clicked through her contacts and texted Chingu. She realizes the ambiguity and the oddity of their connection but she admitted to herself long ago that she finds comfort in talking to Chingu even if she didnt know his face or whatnot. The only things she knows of him are his voice, words and weird enough his kiss. Sulli wouldn't want to admit but there had been instances that she'd dream of that heated encounter of their first meeting. She'd feel in her body the touch of his hands as he carefully caressed through her back that it came to a point of being painfully too good. It was because of this that Sulli decided to dismiss the idea of talking to Chingu that night. 

"Forget it. I'd rather sleep."

And she did and fortunately free from the eted dreams she used to have of her mysterious friend.

 

 

Sulli was woken up by the smell of fresh from the stove kimchi fried rice that her mother cooks. It's not entirely her favorite but it's a given that she'll have two servings of rice instead of just one. What was more heartwarming that morning was the entire family was on the dining table waiting for her. It brought a slight tear to her eyes but she opted to smile instead of letting them make a fuss on why she was tearing up. Breakfast ended pretty early and Sulli prepared for her departure to Seoul. She had to take the 10:20am train or else the next trip would be around noon. She set herself out that she should be in Seoul a little past one in the afternoon. However, things started to take a turn when someone pulled over in front of their house. 

"Omo.. Did one of your friends come over?"

Sulli's mother rushed to open the door and was surprised by a bouquet of flowers in her face. 

"Jinri!"

"What is it eom..ma?"

Sulli felt her head turn and her stomach churn. It was someone she didn't expect to come. Let alone, she had no idea how he knew of her address in Busan. It was Taemin. He had himself all dressed up, surely ready to impress. Sulli pushed him further out the door and then she stepped out.

"What are you doing here?!"

"I came here to fetch you."

"Fetch me? How did you even know I was here?"

"I passed by your apartment but no one answered. I tracked your cellphone and found out you were here."

"You did what?!"

"Look Sulli, I mean no harm.. But please, at least talk to me."

The front door opened and Sulli's brothers went up to Taemin as if they were performing an inspection. Their height and presence were intimidating but Taemin tried his best to stand his ground and not get phased by the incredible presence the two were emitting. Sulli rushed to her room and got dressed to leave. She'd rather deal with Taemin alone than with her family there. It was bound to get ugly anyway. 

"Sulli, wait up!"

"Get lost, oppa. I didn't ask for you to come here!"

"Please Sulli.. Even just for a minute. Hear me out."

Sulli stopped in her steps, turned around and sighed. She hated the fact that the sight of seeing a pleading Taemin before her would render her to oblige to his request for them to talk. The night she talked to Sunny, she meant to talk to him to see how he was actually doing but she chickened out and opted to just avoid the situation. It was all too late however since they were already driving on their way to Seoul in Taemin's car. It's almost a three hour drive by car so they will surely have to talk eventually.

The first hour of the drive were awkward. Taemin was the only one blabbing about how his days went by when he was all alone after she left him. He stated that he'd party for nights to no end and how his life was lead astray. He'd say that he was a mess but Sulli felt as if he was purposedly leaving out details whether or not he hooked up with girls. She'd listen with one ear then the words all came out in the other.

"Sulli-ah.."

"If I wanted to talk to you, I would've made the first step. But I didn't.. I haven't which only means I am not ready to talk to you.. So why did you even try to seek me out?"

"I want you back Sulli.."

"Me? You should've realized that long before I broke up with you. You don't know how much pain I went through tolerating all the pain you and your family caused me."

"I know that is why I sought you to make it up to you. I want to prove to you that I have learned my lesson."

Sulli fumed with anger and annoyance. They were still far off from the city proper but Sulli got out of Taemin's car and walked along the highway as she dragged her back with her. This shocked Taemin who didn't know what to do. He can't go after her and leave the car unattended but he was really desperate to talk to her. But due to the unfavorable circumstances, Taemin decided to let Sulli do as she please. He'll just go after her some other time. He wants her back and he will have her back whatever it takes.

Sulli sees it differently though. After hearing Taemin's words, anger triggered instead of pity and understanding. She felt as if Taemin was treating her like property that as if she was some toy that he can play with, toss aside then if he missed playing with her is that he'll have her back. It was frustrating on her part that because of that she really can't see herself going back to Taemin whatsoever. She just can't..

 

Or maybe not..

 


 

He was feeling blissful up to the point that he feels he can jump off a roof and be unscathed just because of too much happiness. The weekend went a lot better than he had imagined and it felt as if he was one step closer in meeting Amber halfway once more. It takes effort but he feels as if his efforts were slowly paying off. He was more than thankful to Sulli for persuading Amber to come along. His entire plan of wooing Amber the weekend would go to waste if the girl didn't come in the first place. It was more than fortunate that she did come.

The way Key imagined that the two of them would be walking along the beach and talking about random things without leading to bickering. It was both exciting and refreshing on his part considering that ever since they met each other once again was that the only things they did were tease each other and fight about petty things by annoying each other. Somehow, because of the beach trip, he feels as if they were able to take a step forward.

That is why, Key has decided to fetch Amber in the police academy and enjoy dinner with her for that night. It's unwarranted but he knows Amber loves surprises. He believes he hit the formula right: flowers, car, well dressed up, perfect reservation. Amber is no girly girl but she's still a girl at the end of the day. Key believes that she'll still be swooned over by his gestures. It read four in the afternoon and Amber is bound to come out soon. Key believes that the night will be perfect.

Thirty minutes passed but Amber was still nowhere in sight. Key thought to himself that maybe she was just busy with some paperwork so he decided to wait a lot more. Key waited patiently that even if it started to go dark, he waited patiently by his car. It was already past 6:30pm that he saw footsteps coming out of the door. It was Amber and she was accompanied by two people; a guy and a girl.

"You guys go ahead. I'll be with you in a few."

Key smiled and headed towards Amber and handed her the flowers. "They're a little wilted but they still smell nice. They're for you."

Amber smiled slightly but she did not take flowers from Key's hands. She just smelled them. They were her favorites; cattleya and carnations. She smiled at the thought of Key remembering what she liked. 

"Why the sudden appearance?"

"Are you busy?"

"Well.."

"Come! I reserved a restaurant for us. It's nothing fancy but I wanted to surprise you. You know, for a change?"

Key kept on and on about how excited he was and how much he enjoyed himself over the weekend. He was so ecstatic that he failed to realize that Amber didn't seem to be as enthusiastic as he is. She just looked at him up to the point that she looked as if she was in pity towards Key.

"Then maybe after we can go somewhere..."

"Key.. Key.. Key!"

"Well? Are you free?"

"I can't.. I have to go somewhere.."

"Come on, Amber.."

"Key, look.. Listen.."

Suddenly, leaves rustled and someone walked towards them. It was the guy that accompanied Amber out of the building. His arrival caused Key to stop talking and Amber to just lower her head. He wasn't so tall but he had fair complexion. He had a clean haircut but it was obvious he was muscular despite his medium frame. Key would be lying if he didn't feel threatened of the guy's presence.

"Amber, will you take longer? We have to go."

"I'll be there.. Wait."

Amber started to walk away but Key stopped her from doing so. "Amber, wait. What about our date?"

Slowly, as if with a heavy yet determined heart, Amber let go of Key's grip on her and started to walk away. 

"I can't, Key.. Let's stop this."

"What? What are you talking about?" Key asked with a hint of panic in his words. "Who is he anyway?!" Key shouted. With the question, Amber slowly grasped the man's hand and intertwined hers in his. This started to render Key speechless.

"What is the meaning of this?" Key murmured.

"The name is Henry.. I am Amber's boyfriend."

============================================================

Update!^^ A bit short compared to the other chapters but I hope you like it. Henry was already in the picture but only came back.. And Taemin's character.. Feel free to comment and please stay tuned!