Chapter 23- Taste of Happiness

Fidelity

The sound of the water dripping as it hit the steel faucet was the only sound that can be heard in the entire first floor of their house. The silence that circled the two of them was deafening. She was left speechless on the situation that has presented itself to her. Krystal held the papers in her left hand and clasped the hem of her shirt with the other. Was it true? She kept wishing it was all a nightmare and that she wishes to wake up from it; but it wasn't. All of that was happening was no joke and that the reality she has feared that will come has arrived.

"Is this some sort of joke? Some sort of hidden camera show?" She asked, hoping Minho would reveal the truth she desires to hear. However, that was not the case at all. Minho kept his head low and remained mum. Krystal choked on her breath with her husband's reaction. She stood out of her seat and pushed the table away. She slammed the papers on the table which caused some of the glassware to topple over and the wine spill.

"What is this? What is the meaning of this?!"

"They are what you think they are.."

"Divorce?! You want a divorce? Where did that idea come from? Are you kidding me? Why would you want a divorce? Please tell me this is some sort of joke. Minho, please. I'm begging you "

"I'll leave the papers to you. I'll be moving out of the house in a few days. It won't take long. I'll just have to look for a new place."

Krystal snapped. She went to Minho's side and forced him to stand. She pushed her against the wall and started to smack him, slap him and punch him with the little strength she had. She cried and weeped. She shouted and screamed. It felt as if she was poured ice cold water. It felt as if she was thrown into the sea without anything to help her survive. Krystal was completely blindsided. She knew something was going on but she never imagined that it would ever reach the point of divorce. On the other hand, Minho received every blow Krystal landed at her. They did hurt but he accepted the fact that she had every right to do it. She was entitled to it.

As her hits weakened and slowed down, Minho took hold of her arms.

"You should rest. Come.." 

"Let go of me, you monster! Is it because of a girl? Is it because of Sulli? Is it because of that girl? Answer me!"

Minho's heart skipped as she heard Krystal utter Sulli's name. How did she even know? Minho asked in his mind. But instead of dropping Sulli's name by agreeing to what Krystal said, he evaded the question and started to push Krystal upstairs.

"I said let go of me! I can't believe this. All this time, I told myself that things were okay. I told myself that we'll be fine and that everything was splendid. But I know that things have changed.. Ever since you got that modelling job, things have never been the same for us. Do you even understand how much it hurts? Can you even imagine how I feel right now? You prepared a romantic dinner and then you'll present me divorce papers as we finish? Who the hell does that?! It feels like you stabbed me in the back, oppa. I was blindsided by the reality that things have come to this point."

"Things were never okay for us, Krys."

"You know what? Forget it! If you want to leave, just leave now! I don't need someone like you.. Get out!"

Minho did as Krystal asked of him. He went to their room and packed up the things he'd need. He earned a lot of sponsored clothing but they were too much and he had ample clothing. He can just buy anyway. He grabbed his essentials and slowly started to pack his things. He wanted the divorce but there is this pain inside of him as he did. The four corners of that bedroom where he shared a lot of memories with Krystal in the short time that they were married were flashing back to him. What he said was true, they were never okay but it was mostly him. They had their issues every now and then. However it would be a lie if he said they never had happy times. They did; plenty of them. It was just those were never enough to overshadow the truth that their marriage would no longer work.

It was a mess downstairs. He had the complete overview of it from the stairs. The spilled wine remain on the floor and the papers were scattered on the dining table and floor. Their food has gone cold, the candles went out and the icing on the cake started to melt. Krystal sat on the sofa, with her back him. Minho's steps were heavy as he made his way outside. Truth be told, he never expected that things would turn as ugly as they did. 

"I'll be going." He said as he turned the doorknob. Krystal remained quiet.
In less than a second, Minho walked out the door and the engine of his car started. A minute later, screeching tires were heard and slowly fade into the distance. It was only then that Krystal broke down. She lowered herself to the floor and cried. She cried, screamed, wailed and shouted. The pain was unbearable. She wants him back. She loves Minho but he just doesn't feel the same. In fact, she even questions..

"Did he even love me in the first place?" The night ended with Minho booking a hotel room for the night and Krystal crying herself to sleep.


The morning that followed, Minho appeared to work with no hint of the spat he had with Krystal the previous night. In fact, both Sulli and Key were oblivious to it. He smiled to every staff and even brought food for breakfast for the entire staff. It was another in-house studio shoot. Other models would be accompanying him for the ads; both male and female. The shoot went smoothly that in a matter of 4 hours, they finished. It was a little past lunch when everyone started to clean and pack up. 

"You look oddly happy." Sulli teased.

"Do I? Well, I am."

"Why?"

"Should there be a reason for me to be happy?"

"I don't know. Maybe? Me?"

"Aigoo.. Don't get to full of yourself, Miss." Minho replied.

"I'm kidding."

"Hey, are you free for the day? I have to run some errands and I'm wondering if you can join me."

Sulli nodded in response and finished cleaning up. Minho changed his clothes and the two headed out. They didn't escape Key's watchful eye who was still concerned over the situation of the two. The two didn't seem to mind Key's stares and proceeded downstairs. They drove a few blocks away and parked across a restaurant. Minho offered to buy the two of them lunch. As the two were about to head out, Sulli stopped Minho from doing so.

"What's wrong?"

"You don't have your disguise on. What if your fans see you?"

"It's fine. Come on."

They ate but the worry never escaped Sulli. Whenever a group of women would pass by, she'd jerk on her seat and panic a little bit thinking they were Minho's fangirls. It would cause a stir if they saw Minho other than Krystal. It is because of this that her energy slowly died down. She wouldn't smile to every joke Minho would throw at her. It seems that Minho didn't really notice it so they went on without any inquiry if something was bothering Sulli.

"About this errand you were talking about, what is it?"

"I'll be looking for an apartment or condominium." He replied as he slurped the pasta he ordered into his mouth.

"Why?"

"I just feel like it."

She started to psychoanalyze the situation. Sulli wondered what in the world Minho would start looking for an apartment or condominium. Does he want to invest in real estate? Is it for a relative? Or was it meant for him and Krystal; a new love nest basically. The last one was definitely the most possible and painful choice in Sulli's point of view. They asked for dessert and fiddled through their phones as they did. The two of them were checking openings for units available within the vicinity of the studio. Minho insisted that it would make travelling a lot easier and cheaper. Gas prices are getting more expensive by the day and it would be no problem to walk.

"There is this good unit. It is around 3 million won but you'll have to pay rent for a year. It is pretty spacious." Sulli suggested.

"It doesn't have to be too spacious. I think I already saw what you are talking about. The rent is too expensive. I'd rather spend the rent on furniture and things."

"There is a condominium. It's around 4 million won. Do you think that would be okay?"

"It's possible. But I think it would be great if we find a place that is already furnished or semi-furnished. I wouldn't have to buy a lot of things."

They continued to fiddle through their cell phones but the two weren't able to avoid to somehow flirt with each other as they talk. Sulli would tuck her hair so gently behind her ears and Minho would smug at the girl. The gestures of the two didn't escape the staff and they just giggled with how cute the two looked like. They never noticed any of those giggles. They were in their own bubble. A bubble that nobody else can pop except for themselves. After what felt like forever, Minho found one that was two stations away from the studio. It was semi-furnished. It was a little over 5 million won but he can always pay in increments. He rushed out of his seat and dragged Sulli with him.

"Where are we going?!"

"Just come!"

Minho drove as fast as he can and they arrived within 20 minutes. Again, he appeared like an excited kid and they headed to the office of what looked like a condominium complex. Sulli inferred that he must've found a place he likes and fits his taste. The staff were accomodating. Before heading to business talk, the agent in charge of the sales explained the different units available. There were furnished, semi-furnished and fully furnished rooms available for sale. The fully furnished rooms were too expensive for Minho so he proceeded to ask for a semi-furnished unit.

"Are you interested in buying a unit, sir?"

"I am. I plan to pay the downpayment today so that I can start fixing the place. Do you offer flexible plans so I can pay per month? I don't really care if there is interest. I really like the place from the looks of it."

The sales agent looked rather surprised with how direct Minho sounded. This made Sulli giggle. 

"Ye--yes. We have flexible payment plans. Will you pay via credit or cash."

"Cash."

"Cash?"

"Yes, cash."

She then pointed towards the desk where they will finalize the transaction. The entire time, Sulli remained at the display portion of the room and didn't bother know the details of the transaction. It still bothered her as to why Minho is getting a new place. Minho clearly said that it didn't have to be spacious but the unit he'll be purchasing is a complete contradiction to what he said. It was big enough for a small family. It isn't too extravagant but somehow she thought it must be because Minho is planning to start a family soon.

As soon as Minho handed in his downpayment, the sales agent guided them to where the unit was. It was located in the 29th floor. The place was pretty high but the environment that surrounded the complex was enticing and suitable for individuals and families. The moment they entered, both of them were amazed by how big the place actually is. The ceilings were high enough and the paint job on the walls made the place appear fresh and spacious. There was a fireplace. There weren't electronics but there was already a dining set, a sofa and a bed good for two. 

"If you guys need anything, feel free to call. I'll be willing to make arrangments."

"Thank you." Minho replied.

The girl left and Sulli explored the place. The entire place was bigger than the two-storey apartment she shared with Amber. The dining area was almost as big as her room. Minho was on the other side and checked out the bedroom and bathroom. So far, he is satisfied with what he purchased. The interior needed some work. Both of them agreed that the place needed a splash of color to make it appear for lively. The white walls were nice but too bland.

"It would be great if we could get plates. I know a store that sells quality glassware and kitchenware for a bargain. You'll also need bedsheets. A lot are available in the department store. And can we please put carpets on the living room? Flowers would also be nice. Good thing there is already a fridge and stove. Oh! and don't forget to buy laundy materials. This place still needs a lot of work."

"Jinri.. Jinri!"

"Yes? Ohh.. Sorry. I got too carried away. I'm sorry.."

"It's all right. Well, since you said the place needs a lot of work, why don't you help me? We can start buying things today? I am not the most creative person. Since you're the stylist and all, maybe you can put your magic touch on my place. I need all the help I can get."

And they did.

For the first day, the two busied themselves in buying things necessary for the interior; carpets, paintings, plants, bed sheets, pillows and every thing else related in order for them to beautify the place. And for the following days, after work, they'd work on Minho's place. The second day, Minho prepared paint so that they can paint the bedroom walls. They were all white and he wanted to add a splash of color. As they did the paint job, they'd play around and Minho would trick Sulli as if he'd put paint all over her face. She'd cook the two of them ramen for snacks.
On the third day and fourth day, they continued to paint the walls with new colors that fit the taste of the two of them. On the fifth, they bought additional furniture. On the sixth day, the two of them went grocery shopping for food, laundry goods, toiletries and the like.
For every single day Sulli spent with helping Minho organizing the place, she can't help but smile and wish that the final product was actually meant for them. It has came to a point that she felt like they were doing things newlyweds would do. 

"Jinri.."

"Hmm?"

"We are almost finished organizing the place.. If you're okay with it, I'd like to invite some friends over tomorrow evening. Would you be okay to help me?"

"Why are you asking me? Why not Krystal?"

"Jinri.."

"Sorry.. Of course. Well before that, let me prepare dinner tonight as a congratulatory prize from me. I'll spend for it. What do you say about it?"

"That'll be great."

As soon as they arrived back at the unit, they tidied up the groceries and Sulli brought out the ingredients she'll be needing to cook dinner. There was Korean beef she marinated to barbecue. The vegetables were cut and boiled for soybean paste stew. Minho on the other hand was looking at the girl the whole time she was working in the kitchen. It made him smile. It would be the first time she'll ever cook anything for him. She never got the chance to even cook for him back in high school. In turn, Minho prepared soju to match the dinner.

"Soju?"

"You said we should celebrate, right?"

"I suppose."

It was already past seven in the evening when Sulli finished cooking. She laid out the food on the coffee table they bought and Minho poured the soju for the two of them. The dinner was surprisingly quiet. They'd steal glances from each other and smiles but other than that, they didn't say anything. Even while Sulli cleaned the dishes as soon as they finished, they remained quiet.

"Why are you so quiet?" Minho asked to finally break the silence.

"I'm not.."

"Yes you are. Come over here.."

She stopped with washing the dishes as Minho dragged her over to the living room to talk. It was pretty obvious that she's quiet. Minho asked what it was about but she refused to answer.

"I told you it's nothing."

"I know you. Spit it out."

She finally cried; which Minho expected.

"I'm just being the moody me again. I just feel this is like the end. I was really happy helping you out prepare all these things for you and Krystal. I look so petty for clinging unto you like this but I am just happy to help you. I'm sounding weird again but.. I am jealous. I feel like the other woman. Well, which I am. I know that you intended to have this place to start anew with Krystal.. I'm sorry. Maybe I shouldn't have helped."

"You are confusing me right now."

"I know! I sound confusing."

Minho then flicked Sulli's forehead. "You're also being an idiot. I wouldn't have bought a new place if I intended this for Krystal and I. It's far from that. I moved out of our house. I filed for divorce."

Sulli couldn't believe what she heard. Did she actually hear it correctly? Divorce? She felt a sense of regret and guilt but she was overwhelmed with happiness. It was the window of chance that only means she can finally love Minho freely. She hugged Minho out of sheer happiness and cried tears of joy in his arms.

"I love you."

"I love you too.." Minho replied.

He then kissed her gently on the lips which she gladly reciprocated. But the moment they opened their eyes and locked upon each other, Minho kissed her once more but in a more aggressive manner. Soon enough, Minho carried Sulli and lead her to his bed. She laid her down gently and kissed her even more. He took of his shirt and his tongue made its way into Sulli's mouth; which she accepted. Their breaths were getting heavy and Sulli started to scratch Minho's back. They were in heat. As Minho's hand started to unravel Sulli's face and body, he stopped.

"What's wrong?" Sulli asked.

Minho buried his face into Sulli's chest and shook his head. He later sat up and leaned against the wall. They looked into each other's eyes. It was clear that things would no longer escalate further. She thought perhaps they both weren't ready. Sulli didn't say anything but it reminded her of their kiss when they met anonymously back at the party, when he was no more than "Chingu." It'd be a lie if neither of them felt a hint of disappointment for it not proceeding. It felt like apple pie that has turned cold in the middle.

"I'm sorry. I just.." Minho tried to explain. Sulli insisted it was all right.

"No need to explain. We're both not ready as of now. It's fine.."

Minho then took Sulli's hand and brought it to his chest. "Do you feel that? My heart is beating so fast right now. It feels like I can't even breathe but I don't even care. I am just happy you are here by my side. Remember Jinri.. I love you so much. You're the only one that makes my heart beat like this. I can't even describe how happy I am right now. I will finally get to be with you."

"I love you.."

"I love you too."

No words were enough for them to even describe how happy they felt at that time. They were crazy for each other. They were willing to go to the ends of the Earth to prove their love. It was when they felt like they can do anything. They're prepared to face the world. The two of them finally got a taste of genuine happiness.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Or so they thought.

================================================

Another update! :) A little cliffhanger on that -ish scene. I hope you like this chapter! I am trying to update as much as I can right now before I go into laboratory work and lose any social life I have left. T^T
OTL. Please look forward to the next one.