050

Baby Don't Cry

Within ten minutes Hana had explained everything. Kyungsoo was sitting on the floor with his head in his hands. Hana couldn’t see his face. Hana was afraid of what his reaction might be. Kyungsoo suddenly trembled and Hana thought he might be crying.

“One…” Kyungsoo mumbled, “Just give me one good reason why you’re even talking to that again.”

Hana didn’t know how to respond, Kyungsoo’s voice was monotonous. She had no clue what he was feeling.

“I- he said he changed so…”

“Does he look like he changed?”

“He doesn’t harass me the way he used to so…”

Kyungsoo raised his head from his hands and locked them in front of him, arms resting on knees as he looked at her, “And you actually believe that since he’s stopped harassing you, he’s changed?”

Hana reluctantly nodded. Kyungsoo heaved a sigh, “Do you think you’re doing the right thing?”

That…she wasn’t sure about. Hana believed she was, but then she’d always feel like a criminal around the guys. She wasn’t sure.

“Probably…”

Kyungsoo jutted his lips and slowly nodded, “Then why am are you telling me this?”

Hana looked at him in surprise, “Huh?”

“I mean, why me?”

Hana took her time to think, “Because…you’re reaction would be the most mild, and it is. Baekhyun would-“

“Explode?”

“Yeah, explode…”

Kyungsoo shifted in his seat. He was pissed. He was furious because Hana was being stupid and he could envision all the ways it could blow up in her face. Hana had secrets and Lay knew none. That, won’t end well for her. She needs to know that.

“Hana, I understand you’re not telling Lay anything because of your concern for him, right?”

Hana nodded and Kyungsoo shook his head, “There’s no need to be so generous.”

“I wanted to tell him,” Hana defended, “I really did! But he’s just so out of it these days, I don’t want to add anything-“

“You should tell him.”

“Kyungsoo, would you tell me a huge problem of yours if you see that I’m already suffering from something of my own?”

“This is friendship, Hana. You’re in a relationship. You never know when the secret will be out. You’re telling your problem to me, you should be telling this to Lay. Jaekyung isn’t on his nice list either, by the way.”

“I know! But if I tell I Lay about Jaekyung then I’ll have to tell him everything.”

“Isn’t it about time you did that?”

Hana didn’t how to respond. She should tell him, she WANTS to tell him. But, “What if he doesn’t take it nicely?”

“That’s his problem.”

“Come on, Soo. You know how stressed he is-“

“We can handle him,” he cut in and Hana noticed that this was the first time during their entire chat that Kyungsoo had hinted his anger, “If it’s your depression you’re worried about, we can handle him. If it’s this Jaekyung business, I’ll deal with him if he freaks out.”

Hana stared at him wide sligly agape. Whenever Hana used to think abuot Lay’s possible reactions to her secrets, the image that formed was hardly ever nice. But then there were times when she was with him and used to think she was crazy for thinking that way in the first place. Of course Lay wouldn’t react negatively. Kyungsoo’s determination brought her to those moments.

“I’ll talk to him.”

Kyungsoo almost cracked a smile, “When?”

“Tomorrow.”

“Why not today?”

“I have an appointment.”

Kyungsoo raised his brow, “What appointment?”

“With my psychiatrist.”

Kyungsoo’s eyes widened in alarm, “Did something happen or- Don’t take this whole thing to your head Hana it’s nothing to be so wor-“

“Whoa!” she held up a hand with a smile, “I’m fine. It’s the regular checkup to see how I’m doing. Plus, I’m running out of medicine.”

Kyungsoo let out an ‘oh’ and nodded, “You scared me for a second.”

Hana grinned, “Sorry.” Her smile then faltered a little, “I think I’ll ask Kris how Lay’s doing at home…”

“Hana…” Kyungsoo groaned, “You’ll chicken out then.”

“I won’t.”

 The boy scoffed, “Oh please. I know you, you’ll use his fatigue as an excuse and out.”

“Will not.”

“Will too.”

“Shut up.”

Kyungsoo grinned, “Just tell him, okay? Because if you won’t then I will.”

Hana sighed. She’ll tell him tomorrow.

-

Lay was staring at his room’s ceiling. He was spraled on the bed, books and notes scattered all over his bed. Exams were a pain. Exams and soccer practice were the Jack of pains. Exams, soccer practice, and winter festival was the Queen. But, all that, plus the knowledge that your girlfriend may most likely be cheating on you, takes the crown. He rubbed his eyes and checked his phone.

No new messages.

The image of Jaekyung looking delighted and Hana excusing herself for the library flashed through his mind, followed by the scene where he saw her out with him for ice cream. Lay turned and dug his head into the mattress. He needed to sort this out. But how could he if he couldn’t even bring himself to look at Hana without feeling betrayed?

Shaking his head, he got up and sat on his knees. He had covered most of the courses but more than half of History and Geology were still left. He scracthced his head as he dreaded the next hours he’d have to spend studying those. Maybe he should’ve agreed to the group study, at least he could’ve distracted himself.

He grabbed geology and sighed, this had to be his main focus now. It was during his concentrated session of geological torture that his phone buzzed. It wasn’t the muffled vibration that brought his head out of the text book but a paper bullet that hit him hard on his bare arm. He yelped and glared at the person on the door who was supposed to be his older brother.

“GROW UP, WOULD YOU?!”

“Why should I when you grew up for the both of us?” Kris shrugged and put his weapon (the rubber band) away, “I came to tell you that I’m leaving.”

Lay furrowed his brows before he remembered that Kris had an afternoon shift at their mother’s office today. Lay never understood why Kris, despite holding a degree in his hand, was working like an intern at their mother’s office.

“Okay.”

“I got donuts earlier, they’re in the fridge.”

Lay nodded, “Okay. Later”

“Call someone over if you get bored,” Kris suggested, “Study hard, see ya.”

 After another two hours and getting through a major portion of his text book, Lay slammed the book into the bed. His stomach grumbled and the donuts in the fridge called out to him. He was aware how donuts were an inappropriate choice of food for dinner but, hey, the guy’s home alone.

Grabbing his phone and running downstairs, the first thing Lay did was rip open the refrigerator door and grab the white box and raised the cover. Sprinkled with nuts, a chocolate coated crème filled donut caught his eye. Now that he looked carefully, the box was half filled with them. Lay sighed, these were Hana’s favorites. Grabbing one and shoving it into his mouth, he grabbed his phone.

7 new messages.

Kris : I knw ur eatin da donuts

Save sm 4 moi

Sometimes, Lay wondered how Kris graduated. Shaking his head, he opened the other chat. His heart skipped.

Hana: hey. I know you’re really tired these days. Im sorry I cant do much to help you with anything.

How about we go to the park after school?

Youre probably sleeping…im sorry for bugging you

I’ll see you tomorrow

Later ^^

Lay felt a tad bit of regret for not seeing the message sooner. He took another bite of the donut and re-read what she had written. What was it that she w anted to tell him? Did she perhaps…want to come clean? If that was it, then what will follow next? Lay didn’t want to think about that. He felt confused, but there was also anger lingering somewhere. But despite that, her first sentence pulled a few strings and he replied.

Lay: see you.

-

Looking at Hana, Kris was happy. Her reports were good, her health was good, and she seemed fine too. He signed her prescription slip with a small smile. Hana was happy to see that it was Kris who’d be taking her session instead of Fei. She had stuff to ask him.

“You’re doing so well I can cry.”

Hana laughed, “Thanks. It’s all because of you guys.”

“Well, I AM pretty awesome,” Kris shrugged and Hana shook her head. Hana’s smiles with Kris weren’t forced, unlike the ones she had to sometimes fake in front of his brother. Hana tried not playing with her hands and made sure she kept eye contact with Kris so the older wouldn’t suspicious. After Kris handed her prescription, he asked, “Now tell me what’s up.”

“School. Exams. Practice.” She listed with a smile and Kris cacked on of his own.

“How’re the studies going?”

Hana had to think, “Good, I hope. I’m worried a bit about English. Baekhyun said he’d tutor me so I guess it’ll be okay.”

“I can help with English if you want,” Kris offered and Hana beamed.

“You would?”

Kris shrugged, “Why not?”

Hana laughed, “Wow, thanks.”

“Just come to me if you have any problems, okay?”

“You really are awesome.”

“Tell that to my brother, I bet he sometimes wonders how I even graduated highschool.”

At that, Hana faltered, not because of Lay’s lack of confidence in his brother, but because of the vague mention of the boy himself. Kris, who had a feeling something wasn’t entirely right with his brother and the girl in front in the first place, noticed.

Hana had to ask, but Kris beat her to it, “Speaking of my dork brother, how is he?”

Hana raised a brow in confusion, wasn’t she supposed to be asking that?

“I uh- I was going to ask you the same question,” Hana spoke, “Lay’s been…weird these days.”

Kris inhaled, he wouldn’t say he didn’t see that coming. He had a hunch of what it might be, but he had no idea how wrong that hunch was. But based on what he felt he knew, he thought he should give Hana a heads up for a possible confrontation.

“What sort of weird?”

Hana had been biting her lip, “He- I don’t know. He’s been avoiding- me, specifically. He hasn’t been talking much to anyone but he isn’t talking at all with me.”

Kris tilted his head, not talking? He thought Lay was simply upset that he found out about Hana’s condition, but to think he’d start avoiding her was very unsual.

“When I ask him what’s wrong, he says he’s tired,” she continued and then hurridly added, “And I understand! Soccer isn’t a walk in the park and I can’t even imagine the kind of training they have. But it’s just…”

“Just what?” Kris pushed as he leaned forward, hands clapsed and arms resting on knees.

“Irritating.”

Kris blinked. That day he thought that maybe he was reading a bit too much into the situation and it wasn’t as big a deal as Kris was assuming it was. But right now, he knew he was proven right abuot his initial analysis. Kris puffed his cheeks. His brother was nice and all, but if he had a problem with someone, he’d straight out say it. But this, this wasn’t his usual behaviour. He contemplated whether he should tell Hana what Lay had asked him, but then he thougt otherwise. This wasn’t his business.

“I don’t know, Hana. I have no idea what’s wrong with him.”

But then again, Lay was involved, and Kris was way too fond of Hana to just simply let this go.

“He’s been a bit out of it at home too. That’s why I asked.”

He saw Hana bite her upper lip and sighed, “Tried talking to him?”

“He won’t give me enough time,” Hana sighed, “Whenever I try to start a conversation he just gives one word answers or all of them lead to an end of discussion. Even Baekhyun and Jongdae can’t get him to talk then how the hell can I?”

Kris thought over his next words, “He’s not talking to you at all?”

“Even eye contact is a miracle with him these days.”

He was considering how to bring it to her, “I’m not saying he is, but, have you considered that he may be mad at you?”

Hana raised her brows, “I- what? Why?”

Kris shrugged, “It could be anything. Did something happen recently?”

Hana leaned back in her chair and thought the recent events over. Nothing, literally nothing stood out. Their last normal conversation was just a few days ago, not even a week but days. Hana shook her head, “Nothing happened. Everything was normal.”

Kris hummed in response and ran a hand through his hair, “Did he talk to anyone?”

“What do you mean?” Hana’s brows scrunched in confusion, “When he’s not with us he’s with the soccer team. I don’t see-“

“Hana I get a feeling someone must have told him something,” Kris cut her off and Hana’s eye widened.

“Huh?” she asked dumbly and Kris nodded.

“He asked me something a few days ago, and I think that may be what’s bothering him.”

“What did he ask?”

“Something about trust issues. Look, I may be wrong, but I just think he may have heard a rumour or something. You said there was a lot of talk about you and your friends which made you drop out of school two years ago, what if he heard something that upset him?”

Hana’s mouth hung open upon hearing Kris’s words. She thought the rumours would’ve died down. She hadn’t heard anything. In fact, once she joined regular classes again, majority of the kids didn’t even pay attention to her. Except…except Yuri and Jaekyung. Jaekyung wouldn’t approach Lay, Hana knew. But then, Jeakyung had already met him and Lay hadn’t mentioned a word about it. Not to mention Yuri… or even worse, Yuri’s friends.

“Oh my God…”

Lay wouldn’t believe them, right?

He trusts her.

He promised her he’d ask her if he had any doubts.

Hana felt slightly comforted at that reminder.

“I plan on telling him everything,” Hana mumbled and Kris’s expression turned softer.

“I wanted to tell him after the final game but, I don’t think it can wait anymore.”

“You’re doing the right thing. It’s better if he hears the whole thing from you than from someone else.”

Hana’s gaze flickered to him for a second before she dropped it back to her hands, “I’m nervouse, and scared.”

“Don’t be,” Kris smiled, “Trust him, he’ll understand. I’m sure once you tell him everything, his reaction will make you wonder why you hadn’t told him before.”

Hana reluctantly nodded, “I’ll tell him tomorrow.”

“Tell me how it went,” he gave her an encouraging smile before raising his fist in the air.

“Fighting!”

-

“Your detention starts today.”

Hana wanted to run out to the attic and cry out of frustration because really, this was too much. She hadn’t forgotten the slap that she had planted on Jaekyung. Jaekhyun said that the slap was what made him realise that he crossed the line and wanted to start fresh.

But apparently, the professor hadn’t forgotten.

“But thisis the last day of the week,” Hana reasoned, “Can’t we do this next week so-“

“No,” she said with her hand on her hips, “We’ll start when I say and I say today.”

Hana sighed and glanced at Jaekyung, he wasn’t even disappointed. It wasn’t like today had been any better. Lay still wasn’t talking to her, just giving a mere nod to anything she asked or giving his prompt reply of being tired. Well, Hana was tired too. Tired of keeping the secret from him. She was going to come clean now. When she had asked him earlier that day about their after school trip to the park, Lay had almost refused until the rest of the boys – especially Kyungsoo – hadn’t bugged him until he said yes. His reluctance, after what Kris had told Hana yesterday, scared her. If what Kris thought was actually the case then she needed to come clean as soon as she could.

But this detention scenario kind of ruined the whole thing. Here she was, after class with two more periods to go, next to Jaekyung as they stood in their teacher’s cubicle. Reality wasn’t co-operating when Hana walked out with slumped shoulders and a very perky Jaekyung beside her. She scratched her head as she thought of cancelling on Lay. After convinving him so hard, she’d end up cancelling. And for what? Slapping Jaekyung because he clearly needed one.

Her victim beside her was the exact opposite of her. They were only quarter way down the hall when Jaekyung started whistling. The brat was whistling. Hana gave him an incredulous look.

“What are you so happy about?”

Jaekhyun bobbed his head, “I’m just happy.”

“Happy?” Hana raised a brow.

“Yeah. We get to spend time together now.”

Hana let out a heavy sigh, “I had better things to do.”

“Like what?” Jaekyung looked at her, “Go out with your soccer bf?”

“What’s it to you?”

“I gotta know where my Hana’s going, right?”

Hana stared at him long and hard as her steps faltered. She glared at his back and her patience finally snapped.

“Stop talking and acting like you and I are more than what we are.”

Jaekyung stopped and looked back at her, eyes slightly wide, “What?”

“You say something overly familiar to me ever again and I swear I will never spend another second around you,” she spoke through clenched teeth, “Is that clear?”

Jaekyung looked defensive, “I’m just being-“

“NO,” Hana cut him off, “Don’t be whatever you’re being, it’s uncomfortable for me.”

Jaekyung returned her glare, but instead of a counter, he turned and walked away. Hana pushed aside the tinge of guilt she felt, her frustration was more overwelhming. Besides, as rude as it sounded, she had more important people to think about.

She had left her phone in her bag and by the time she reached the class, most of it had already passed. Jaekyung was already in his seat, staring at the board. Baekhyun and Jongdae gave her questioning looks to which she pouted. Jaekyung didn’t acknowledge her when she sat in her seat, he just stared at the board. Hana couldn’t care less. Her phone inside her bag was buzzing when she pulled it out.

Jongdae: what what what happened!

Hana glanced at the board, making sure the teacher wasn’t looking and texted him back.

Hana: detention starts today ._.

Jongdae: crap

What about Lya?

Lay*

Hana: I’ll text him I cant make it :(

She pressed the sent button but didn’t hear the approaching footsteps. A hand popped up in front of her and she raised it to see their professor standing in fron of her. Sighing dejectedly, she dropped her phone in his hand and the teacher turned to the board again, resuming his explanation. Now she’ll only get her phone back at the end of the day. When the class ended and the teacher left, Jaekyung stormed out the class room whereas Baekhyun and Jongdae rushed to her.

“DETENTION?!” Baekhyun exclaimed and Hana made a face.

“Don’t even.”

“But she should’ve made you guys start next week! What’s with the ‘on the last day’?” Jongdae asked and Hana shrugged.

“No idea. I just know that now I can’t go with Lay.”

Baekhyun’s mask dipped a little as his face fell, “It took us a lot of convincing and Kai riding on his back to make him agree.”

“I know,” she sulked.

Jongdae raised a brow, “I still don’t get what’s up with him, though.”

Hana was about to respond when the teacher for the next period came. The last periods seemed to be dragging far too long. It was like time wouldn’t move today. Jaekyung skipped the final two classes and that’s when Hana felt a tad bit guilty. By the end of the last period, the teacher who had given her detention was standing outside the door. Great, she couldn’t go outside even for a brief second now.

Jongdae patted her back and gave her an encouraging smile and Baekhyun ruffled her hair as they went past her. The class was now empty with no one but her and her professor.

“Where’s Jaekyung?” she asked and Hana looked to the seat next to hers. She was about to say she that she had no clue where he was but then the boy suddenly came crashing through the door.

“You’re late.”

“Sorry,” he ducked his head and took a seat on the table next to theirs. Hana was glad he didn’t sit next to her. She didn’t think she’d be able to handle four more hours next to him. It was five minutes into detention when Hana realised she hadn’t texted Lay yet. Which meant he was probably waiting for her since she hadn’t told Baekhyun and Jongdae to inform him either.

Crap.

Hana got up from her seat, the teacher’s eyes following her, and asked, “I’m sorry ma’am but could you excuse me for a second? Mr. Park has my cellphone and I need to get it back from him.”

Hana didn’t know what wrongs she had done to this woman because she simply shook her head, “Sorry, you can’t leave this room until detention’s over.”

Hana tried not to gawk, “But it’s really important that I-“

“No.”

Hana sighed and sunk back into her chair. No one except Baekhyun, Jongdae, and Kyungsoo knew about the slap incident; therefore, none of them knew abuot the detention. It wasn’t because she didn’t want to tell them, it slipped her mind. The day of the event she was so mentally drained that she forgot telling Sehun about it, then she just got busy. Practices, exams, and now worrying over Lay, had her so busy that she simply forgot. And now, she sat with her head in her hands praying that Baekyun or Jongdae would mention he detention in front of the group at least once.

Ten minutes later, their professor excused herself but gave them a stern warning before walking out the door. Hana huffed as she saw a peek of the corridor outside through the slightly open door. She wanted to leave so badly. She glanced at Jaekyung and almost jumped when she saw him staring at her. He didn’t take her statement well, she could tell. Other than a prick of guilt, she felt nothing.

“You want your phone?” he suddenly asked and Hana whipped her head to him. She was about to ask him to repeat his question again but he had already pulled out the device from his pocket. Her phone, he had her phone. But how?

“I apologised to Mr. Park on your behalf and got it back,” he said before walking toward her desk, “Want it?”

Hana nodded and reached out to grab it. She was about to utter a thanks but he pulled it from in front of her face, mischief etched across his face.

“Won’t be that easy,” he taunted as he held it above his head and walked back, “Come and get it.”

Hana sighed and got up, “I don’t have time for this. There are people who I need to talk to.”

“If you want it that badly then here,” he brought it down, “take it.”

But again, once she was about to grab it, he moved away. Hana huffed. She let out a string of negotiations but he just wouldn’t listen and instead continues toying. She was in the middle of another reasoning when he phone suddenly started ringing. A smirk played on Jaekyung’s lips as he saw the ID.

“Ooooh this call looks important,” he looked up at her, “Mind if I answer it?”

Hana didn’t know who it was but that didn’t matter. She groaned and reached out for her phone. The phone was still ringing and she almost had it but then Jaekyung held it behind his back stood against a wall.

“How are you going to get it now?” he teased and Hana scoffed.

“What the hell is wrong with you? Did what I say in the hallway earlier not make it through your head?”

Jaekyung nodded, “It did. Pretty well, actually.”

“Then hand over my phone.”

“But playing with you is much more fun,” he smile while blinking innocently and Hana wanted to plant another slap. Her phone had stopped ringing and was at it again the next second.

“You may want to hurry up since the caller seems pretty impatient.”

Hana shook her head at his audacity. Who the hell was she kidding? He wasn’t going to give in easily. Keeping her phone in mind she launched herself in his direction. She tried prying it out from the left but he’d move it to the right. If she’d go right, he’d take it left. So despite hating the idea, Hana sent her arms both way around him and struggled to get her phone out of his hands. The brat wouldn’t budge. His grip didn’t falter even a little but Hana continued to try. Her phone by now had stopped ringing but she hardly cared at this point. Jaekyung suddenly brought his arms out form behind his back and took them around her.

Hana gasped. She froze out of shock.

“Happy now?” he asked and let her go. Hana was still frozen in place when he took her hand to give her phone back. The just hugged her. Hana was about to snap at him but he spoke first.

“Oh, look who’s here. The famous soccer team vice.”

Hana shook her head at his bluff, but when her eyes landed on Lay’s missed calls, she spun to the door. Hana, then and there, wanted the earth to open and swallow her whole. Lay was by the door, knob in his hand as his other hung at his side with his phone. He was biting his lower lip as the rest of his face remained blank.

Hana knew what he was thinking. His gaze was fixated on her, he didn’t even glance in another direction. Hana had never seen him look at her like that. She wanted to hide from his intense gaze. Lay looked down and took a step back before slamming the door and leaving. Hana felt numb but the sound of the door made her move. She ran to the door when a hand stopped her.

“Let it go, he’s gone!”

Hana shoved Jaekyung aside and spoke with the venom she didn’t know she held, “Don’t you DARE touch me.”

She bolted out the door and into the hallway. He wasn’t there. She couldn’t see him. But then she heard lockers clattering and ran in that direction. Hana turned the corner to see Lay kicking the locker ahead of him. His bag was at the other side of the hall. Hana didn’t know what to do. She had never seen him this angry. She had only seen him mildly upset but not angry, not like this. She was scared, but she knew she had to clean this mess up. What was at stake was more important to her than her fear. She was going to set things right. She took careful steps toward him and stopped when he was just an arm’s length away

Lay knew she was standing at the corner, he knew when she walked toward him, he knew when she stood beside her. But he couldn’t bring himself to look at her. He’d be joking if he said he was angry. No, what he felt wasn’t anger, it was fury. Hearing Yuri tell him all that was trying enough, watching Hana lie to him was a struggle enough, but this, this was too much for him to handle. So when he felt fingers touch his elbow, he harshly pulled his arm away. He was biting his lower lip, not trusting his tongue because he knew he wouldn’t be able to control whatever would come out.

Hana couldn’t help but feel something stab her in the back when he took his arm away. But it was understandable. She was going to have to it up. She approached him again but he took steps backward, not looking up to meet her eyes even once. She called him, but he made no efforts to respond. He just stood there, staring at the floor like it was the most fascinating thing in the world. Hana knew a reply would be unlikely so she decided that she’ll let it out while he was still standing there.

“What you saw, that was nothing. I have something to tell you-“

“Of course you do,” he spoke, his voice oddly calm, it scared her.

“Y-yes I do. And-“

“You know, when she told me, I didn’t believe it,” he said cutting her off, “I thought she was crazy. I thought she wanted to create a rift between us. I mean, why would my precious girlfriend cheat on me? Right?”

He let out an empty laugh and Hana shook her head. She who he was talking about.

“No. No, Lay-“

“WHAT?!” he shouted and finally looked at her. Hana wished he hadn’t. His gaze held so much distrust and betrayal that she felt suffocated. He looked like someone else entirely. Lay, who had always held warmth and adoration in his eyes now looked at her with rage. She couldn’t believe she had done this.

“What more do you have to tell me?!” he shouted more, making her flinch. Lay didn’t want to speak, but he couldn’t help himself. But when she spoke, she sounded so innocent and hurt, as if she was the victim and he was the bad guy. He couldn’t tolerate that, he couldn’t hear her broken voice and grow soft. He was the one who was wronged here, he saw it with his own eyes.

“I already know everything! GOD DAMN IT!” He banged his fist on the locker and Hana took a step back.

“I didn’t believe her because I TRUSTED YOU! And what did you do?! STAB ME IN THE BACK!” He was shouting now, and tears were starting to well up in her eyes. He was angry, he didn’t mean any of that…right? Yeah, of course he didn’t. She’ll just have to wait for him to-

“I’m done here,” he shook his head as his gaze dropped, “I’m going home.”

Hana realised she didn’t have time to wait for him to cool off, “LAY! WAIT!”

She reached for his arm again and he spun with so much force that Hana bumped into the lockers.

“What? You have something to say? What more is there to tell me Hana?” he spoke with the detatchment she could never have imagined on him. Hana was slowly going numb. This reminded her of the time when Yuri had confronted her.

“I’ve seen you go around with him with my own two eyes so DO NOT even try to deny it. I don’t know how long this has been going on but I thought you’d have the decency to at least tell me you didn’t want to be with me anymore than go behind my back!”

Hana wanted to scream. She wanted to shout and tell him how it all wasn’t true, how it’s all plain bull and a huge misunderstanding. But she couldn’t. It felt like she was stuck, she couldn’t move. She was frozen, in shock, in place. It was eerily similar to the the time when she fought with Jaekyung and when Yuri confronted her two years ago.

“I never thought you of all people would do this to me. You! The girl I trusted! The one I was so sure about! What happened?! I thought you loved me, THEN WHY THE HELL HANA?!” he slammed his hands on the lockers beside her head and Hana’s eyes widened in panic. She no longer saw Lay in front of her. This couldn’t be him. She saw Youngmin, Yuri and, Jaekyung instead. They were the only ones who could shout at her like this, not Lay. Never Lay. But there he was, and Hana didn’t know what to do. Something switched and Hana felt herself shut down, void of any emotions. Lay pushed himself away, fuming as he breathed heavily and stared at her dead in the eyes. She didn’t even flinch anymore. Everything he said after that went over her head and she couldn’t bring herself to respond. She saw him shake his head before he left with glittery eyes.

She was all alone in the corridor now. Slowly, Hana walked back to the class where she had come from. Their teacher had arrived and was scolding her for leaving class without permission but she honesly couldn’t care less. Hana grabbed her bag and took a seat in the last row next to the wall. Jaekyung kept glancing her, she could feel it, but didn’t do anything about it because it didn’t matter anymore.

-

“I don’t know man, she hasn’t left her room at all since she got back yesterday. She didn’t even come down for dinner.”

Sehun paced back and forth in the television room. Luhan was in the kitchen, looking at his brother with a worried gaze before it flickered to the stairs. He had seen Hana come home yesterday and it wouldn’t take a ‘Hana specialist’ to know something was up with her. She hadn’t responded to any of their calls or come down for dinner. And now, when she skipped breakfast too, Sehun started freaking out.

“Are you sure she’s not sick or anything?” Kai asked from the other end of the line, “I mean, she IS a girl you know…”

“Eww, Kai. No, shut up,” Sehun scrunched his face in disgust, “That’s not it. I think something happened when she went to the park with Lay yesterday.”

“What makes you say that?”

“You got a better theory? Lay’s been weird you know, what if something went down?”

Kai paused, “There- Kyungsoo,it’s Sehun! No- wait- STOP SNATCHING MY PHONE!”

Sehun raised a brow when the next voice he heard wasn’t Kai’s.

“What’s all this abuot Hana?” Kyungsoo asked and Sehun sighed.

“I have no friggin idea.”

“SHE HASN’T LEFT THE ROOM SINCE YESTERDAY!” Kai shouted in the background and Kyungsoo gasped.

“SHE WHAT?! Why?!”

“I don’t know! She hasn’t been responding either. If it wasn’t for the bathroom breaks that she’s been able to sneak in, I wouldn’t even be sure if she was still alive.”

“Shut up, don’t talk like that,” Kyunsoo scolded and Sehun sighed.

“Look, I’m sorry. I just-“

“Group conversation. Right. Now.” Kyungsoo demanded and cut the call.

 

Kai changed the group name to ‘HANA WHERE ARE YOU?!’

Chanyeol: did I miss something again?

Baekhyun: I usually know whats up but really

Whats up?

Sehun: Hana hasn’t left her room since yesterday

Jongdae: bro it’s the weekend

Maybe she slept in?

Sehun: she hasn’t had dinner or breakfast either

Chanyeol: ohno

Baekhyun: what the actual-

Kyungsoo: Where’s Lay? They went out yesterday so he probably knows

Baekhyun: …

Chanyeol: he’s right!

Kai: Lay!

Where art thou?!

Jongdae: guys?

They didn’t go out yesterday ._.

Baekhyun: …

Kyungsoo: excuse me?

Baekhyun: …

Chanyeol: ._.

Kai: e.e

Baekhyun: …

Sehun: SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT’S GOING ON

Jongdae: I thought they knew…

Baekhyun: same

Chanyeol: WHAT WHAT WHAT

Kai: Bae

If you send … 1 more time I swear to GOD-

Baekhyun: hana had detention yesterday

Kyungsoo: on the last day of the week?

Sehun: wait

DETENTION?!

Kai: hana can get detention too?

Wow

Sehun: NO WAIT

HOW AND WEHY

WHY*

Baekhyun: she slapped someone last week

Sehun: SHEE WAHT?!

Kai: WHOA BAD

Jongdae: even better

She slapped Jaekyung

Sehun: HWO DO I NOT KNOW ABOT THINS??

THIS*

Kyungsoo: a lot happened in the last week

She probably forgot

Chanyeol: our little angel can be badass too

Wait

Why did she slap him again?

Jongdae: face deserved it

Baekhyun: but htat’s beside the point

Kai: no wonder she didn’t show up yesterday

Sehun: WHY DIDN’T YOU GUYS TELL US AAOUT THIS YESTERDAY

Baekhyun: WE THOUGHT YOUD KNOW!

Kai: HOW DO YOU EXPECT US TO KNOW

Jongdae: SHE SAID SHE’LL TEXT LAY ABOUT IT

Chanyeol: SO YOU GUYS LEF IT AT THAT?!

IDIOTS!

Kyungsoo: put your caps on a hold and shut up so we can figure this out

Baekhyun: wheres Lay?

Kai: he isn’t active

Sehun: IM GONNA PUNCH SOMEONE

Sorry that was Luhan hyung

Where’s Lay!

Chanyeol: LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

Jongdae: YIXING

Kyungsoo: …

 

Kyungsoo locked his phone. There was an uncomfortable feeling in his chest. He could imagine a worst case scenario but he prayed it wasn’t true. He was in the middle of trying to come up with a theory when his phone rang and Baekhyun’s name flashed on the screen.

“Hey,” Baekhyun was huffing and Kyungsoo could tell he was running somewhere, “She told you about detention?”

“She told me about the slap,” Kyungsoo replied as he pulled his own jacket on, “I had no clue about the detention.”

“How come she remembered telling you but not the rest of them?” Baekhyun asked and Kyungsoo hesitated to answer. Kyungsoo mouthed to Kai that he was going out for a while and retunred to the call after shotting down his cousin’s suggestion to tag along.

“I’ll tell you that once we get to her house,” Kyungsoo dodged and ran out of his house to the bus stop.

“I don’t feel good about this, Soo. No matter how hard I try, I can’t shake off this feeling.”

“We’ll figure something out. Let’s just get there first.”