Cocktail Club House

Baby Don't Cry

Summer craze was still at its peak and the concrete paths that would usually be trampled by black corporate shoes had now the additions of colorful sneakers, sandals, and other forms of teen trending shoes. Among the swarm of high tops and sandals, there was a pair of red sneakers and maroon striped wedges. They were walking down the street, passing random bodies with extreme excitement. If their friends hadn’t set them up, Lay probably wouldn’t have had the guts to ask her on a date. Frankly he had no idea why he did that, regret washed over him the instant the words escaped his mouth but with the girl’s reply all of that went out the window. Now he only felt happy and freaking nervous. She said yes but now what? There was no plan. When they went to the arcade he knew where they were going to go, what they would do, he had a plan. Right now he was clueless. Where should he take her? What should they do? He would’ve really liked it if his friends had gave him a warning, but then when he thinks about it, if they had, he probably would’ve started over thinking and chicken out the last minute.

“Do you have some place you want to go to?” He figured she’d make it easier for him and his spark of hope almost caught fire when he saw her purse her lips in thought, but before his spark could fully ignite, it extinguished with her ‘no’.  Is this what all first dates were like? Not the part where your friends trick you into being alone with your crush but the part where you have no idea what to do. He looked over at Hana. The corners of her lips were slightly tugged upwards, not into a complete smile, but the type to show the world that the person is content. He envied her for a second, she was there looking all calm and gorgeous while he was a nervous wreck. If only he knew the amount of times she questioned her appearance. Did she look fine? Did her hair look weird? Were there any strands out of place? Hana didn’t know what to do. Her hands were getting clammy, the wind made her worry about her hair and over all she was just worried whether she looked appropriate enough walking next to the handsome boy. Even with her head going crazy, the tiny smile on her face wasn’t forced. It was 100% genuine. She was on top of the world. Her crush, the very first guy she ever properly paid attention to (other than her cousins and a certain ) asked her out. Asked HER out. Was she fangirling? Yes she was. She looked over at him and he was looking straight ahead with a bright expression but his eyes looked troubled. Did he perhaps….regret asking her? He hadn’t said much after that either. Hana became conscious and slightly worried. When he asked her she felt that maybe he liked her too? That’s basically why a guy asks a girl on a date right? At least that’s what Hana knew…. The only date proposal she actually ever saw was Dongmin’s for Yuri, but then that didn’t turn out well…..therefore Hana was beginning to question herself. She looked towards the locket dangling on her neck. Was this it? Would they remain just friends?

A hand suddenly laced with hers and her eyes widened because of the sudden contact. Hana’s eyes darted towards the only person on her immediate left and landed on the impression on his right cheek as he flashed her a boyish smile.

“I know somewhere we can go. Come on!”

-

“WHERE DID THEY GO?!”

“Quiet down you idiot!”

Kyungsoo scolded Chanyeol as they came out from behind the corner. Kai and Sehun being among the taller ones in the group arched their necks to search the crowd for a certain couple. Baekhyun whined as he complained to Chanyeol and Jongdae started walking ahead of the still group.

“Where do you think you’re going?”

“Well we’re not gonna find them standing here now are we?” he countered Kyungsoo and the others followed after him while nodding.

“I can’t believe it. We look away for three seconds and they’re out of sight already.” Sehun huffed.

“If it wasn’t for Kai, we wouldn’t have had to look away in the first place.” Baekhyun said pointedly and Kai became defensive.

“That little girl got her bracelet stuck in the leg of my pants! How is that my fault?”

“Yeah Baek don’t put this on Kai.” Kyungsoo added and Kai stuck his tongue out at Baekhyun.

“At least our plan worked.” Chanyeol piped and victorious smiles stretched on their faces.

“The struggle we do to get that horn head to make a move astonishes me.” Jongdae shook his as his eyes wandered the crowd. Baekhyun and Kyungsoo nodded, “You have no idea how long it took us to get him to realize he likes her. I swear he’s so stupid when it comes to this stuff.”

“Tch. He thought me and Hana had a thing.” Baekhyun scoffed and Kyungsoo laughed at the absurdity of the scenario.

“So did you?” Baekhyun looked towards Sehun with a look, “Me and Hana are nothing but really good friends. If I see her as anything more than a friend than it’s as a sister.” Sehun smiled and nodded, yup, his cousin made good friends.

“She really does look like the cute sister type huh? Every time I see her hair open I feel like braiding them and putting a cute pin just like we used to do for our little cousin Jaera, remember Kai?”

“I’m confused whether I should be surprised over the fact that you two know how to braid or the fact that Kyungsoo didn’t make a child cry with his presence.”

“I’m sure I’ve said this before but I’ll say it again just so we’re clear. I don’t like you Kim Jongdae.”

“Ah~ I love you too~”

“Guys,” Sehun interjected,” I think we were supposed to be looking for them?”

“Yes! Lets split up! Whoever sees them, inform us in the group and we’ll meet up there!”

“Good thinking giant. Let’s split!” Baekhyun air punched and the group divided. Kai, Sehun and Jongdae went one way while Baekhyun, Chanyeol and a hesitant Kyungsoo went the other. He regretted not changing places with Jongdae.

 -

Lay led Hana through the crowd. The small establishment was not crowded but there was still an ample amount of people present. It would probably be a full house within a few hours. Hana had never seen this place before. She found the name ‘Cocktail Club House’ being foreign to her. She hadn’t even heard of it before, not to mention the name was a bit funny. It took them ten minutes on the bus and another six minute walk to get here. The exterior was simple, the building was like a log house and a huge window made the interior visible. Even the interior was not over the top, just some paintings hung on the neutral colored walls. There was a space where Hana saw tables and chairs and even sofas on some corners. Up front was a small stage with mic and instruments like piano, inexpensive looking drums, guitar and a tambourine. The space ahead of the stage was completely vacant with a bar running along the length at its left side. There were a few people sitting on the bar stools while some were chilling on the sofas with drinks and snacks. The place was new but the interior made her feel comfortable. There was nothing flashy, no colorful lights and no huge stereos with booming music. Just tiny speakers placed in every corner emanating radio music.

“Are my eyes playing tricks on me or has Yixing-sshi finally decided to grace us with his presence?” A voice said and Hana ignored it, whoever it was probably wasn’t addressing them so there was no point in looking anyways.

“Hyung!”

Or maybe it WAS them being addressed. But there was no 'Yixing' among them...

Lay beamed atHana and pulled her along towards the bar where she saw a boy with short blonde hair and a big toothy smile.

“Oh Tao you’re here too?” Lay asked the boy who just came out from a door behind the bar, probably the kitchen. The boy with black hair named Tao replied with a “Yeah” and continued his way before stopping and running back. He stared at Lay with wide eyes before jumping over the table. Lay and Hana moved back as a precautionary measure and the boy hugged him, detaching their hands in the process.

“Dude it’s been ages since I’ve seen you!” He exclaimed and Lay chuckled.

“Sorry I’ve been busy lately. Kai or Minseok hyung must’ve told you about the winter festival right?”

“No.” Tao shook his head and Lay blinked before letting out an ‘ok’ and explaining the situation. Hana stood there awkwardly as she saw the boys converse. She felt a tap on her shoulder and the same bunny smile boy came into view. His eyes were shaped like crescent moons and his blonde hair were shining even under the dim lights.

“And you are?” the boy asked and Hana backed away little to bow properly. Lay seemed to realize that he wasn’t alone and instantly went to Hana’s side. He felt slightly guilty for forgetting about her even if it was for a moment. After all, HE was the one who brought her here so it was his duty as her date to make sure she has a good time, not forget her existence.

“Ah! Hyung this is Hana.” Lay introduced with a bright smile and Hana sighed in relief. She was slightly disappointed that Lay had took the initiative to introduce her as she wanted to do it herself in order to build her confidence, but a bigger part of her was relieved that she didn't have to.

“Hana~ Nice name for a pretty girl,” he complimented and Hana looked towards her feet while shyly smiling. Lay chuckled but without feeling and he felt slightly uncomfortable when he saw the slight tint of pink on her cheeks. Was she blushing?

“So she’s your….?” The blonde boy trailed off and Tao came and stood behind him. He smiled and waved at Hana to which she replied with the same action and stood curiously behind the blonde guy. Lay however, grew confused.

“Your…? What?” Lay asked and he shrugged.

“You know, class mate, project partner, friend, best friend, friend who is a girl, or girlfriend? You know how the options go.” He shrugged again nonchalantly and Hana looked towards Lay, anticipating his answer. Lay felt like dissolving. She wasn’t his girlfriend…yet, but she wasn’t his friend anymore either. Would date be an appropriate word?

“She’s my uh..” Lay trailed off and blinked several times trying to form proper words,” she’s my date.” He finished and proudly nodded more to himself for completing the sentence than to the duo ahead of him.

“Oooh~ date.” Tao cooed and his other friend chuckled.

“So you brought your first date to our restaurant- wait, this IS your first date right? Or did you date someone else before? Or did you already take her somewhere else before this?” He asked seriously and Lay chuckled, this time really.

“No she’s the one and only. And this is the first place I brought her to. Right?” He looked towards Hana and she nodded with a wide smile. Her face was crimson but she didn’t know that and Lay’s heart swelled.

“Oooooooh your first date oh my God! Alright alright! Good choice coming here! I swear the service will be perfect don’t you worry about a thing!” the boy said excitedly. He looked genuinely happy for Lay. Tao was showing his teeth as well and ran into the kitchen while the blonde boy looked around.

“YA! Taemin! Get a window table ready and look who’s here!” He announced across the room and a slender boy with black hair turned around. He dropped his rag that he was using to wipe the table and ran towards them.

“Broooooooo! Where’ve you been?! We still have to nail that choreo! Me and Kai can’t finish it without you!” the boy named Taemin said and Lay suddenly looked nervous as he stole wary glances at Hana. The girl was too busy processing the situation to register what he said. Hana noticed that Taemin resembled Kai just a little if not much.  Taemin suddenly widened his eyes as he noticed Hana and immediately bowed introducing himself.

“Hi! I’m Taemin! And you are?”

“She’s Hana, Lay’s first date.” The blonde boy replied instead of Hana with a cheeky smile and Taemin’s jaw dropped comically and went “OOOOH~”.

“Right this way please” the blonde guy led the way and stopped near  a table for two next to the huge window. The entire street could be seen from there, the passing cars, the people, it all looked so calming.

“Oh I almost forgot! I’m Onew by the way” the blonde male said and Hana gave a nod of acknowledgement. Onew nodded and pursed his lips from smiling too wide but a smile was still obvious on his face. He dragged Taemin along with him and disappeared into the door behind the bar. Lay snickered at his friends and Hana smiled wide.

“You like it here?” he asked and she nodded.

“This place is run by my friends. Well not exactly MY friends more like our friends. You’ve heard us talk about Minseok hyung right?” Hana nodded and he proceeded, “ this is his joint business with his friends. We ended up coming here so often that we befriended most of his colleagues.” Lay looked towards the bar as if he was looking for someone before turning back to Hana.

“Minseok hyung isn’t here yet….he should be here soon though. Anyways, those two, they’re brothers. Taemin is a year older than us but Onew hyung is the same age as my brother.” Hana nodded and looked around. They run a pretty good place if she had to be honest. The interior was promising, the lighting was good, the atmosphere had the calm feel to it. Hana was pretty sure the food would be good too.

“NO WAY!” they heard a muffled shout coming from the door behind the bar table. Hana looked confused and put away her menu and Lay’s expression suddenly dropped. She turned in her seat to get a look and suddenly the door slammed open revealing a hysteric blonde.

“Where is he?!” the blonde shouted and Taemin exited the door while rubbing his ear.

“Table 15. Damn it you’re so loud.”

Hana gulped as she saw his eyes dart towards their table and looked back towards Lay for help. The boy was currently trying to come up with an escape plan but was too slow. Hana involuntarily yelped as the new blonde’s hand made intense contact with the back of Lay’s head.

“Ouch! Hyung!”

“Don’t you ‘OUCH HYUNG’ me you twerp! Where have you been?! And you got a date?! Without even telling me?!”

“Hana this is Kibum hyung! Taemin’s and hyung’s friend and partner in business” Lay hurriedly explained to prevent himself from getting another round of his hyung’s hits. It worked, because Kibum had his attention diverted immediately towards the girl in maroon. He didn’t even smile as he looked over Hana, taking his time taking in her appearance. He suddenly broke into the sweetest smile and brought his hand forward.

“Hello, my name is Kibum. Just like this hornless horse stated, I’m a co owner. Nice to meet you.” Hana took his hand and shook with an unsure smile. She wasn’t sure how to act around him, for some reason she felt intimidated.

“Oh and I LOVE your dress! The color compliments your skin tone SO MUCH! Where did you get it from?” Kibum anticipated Hana’s reply when the girl actually had no clue which store she had been dragged into by her cousins. She looked towards Lay for help and he looked just as clueless. But he still wanted to get her out of the fix she was in so he tried to distract the male.

“Hyung-“

“And the shoes! Good taste I must say. Your name’s Hana isn’t it? Taemin told me already. So Hana, how does it feel dating this guy?”

“Uh…” she would probably reply if she wasn’t so lost. Lay’s efforts were defeated even before he could try and the boy said his thanks to the heavens when a certain other draped his arm across Kibum’s shoulder. 

“Give em a break buddy. Sup Lay?”

Hana met too many people in little time and her head wasn’t really cooperating, so when the new brunette introduced himself to Hana, she almost missed his words.

“Hey, I’m Jonghyun, and you miss beauty, must be Hana.” Jonghyun had a broader build than Kibum. Although he was burlier, there was an evident difference between their heights. Compared to Kibum, Jonghyun felt more comfortable to be around. In contrast with Jonghyun’s casual introduction, Kibum’s inspecting eyes were a rather cold welcome but Hana knew better that first impressions weren’t always accurate. Hana smiled and nodded towards Jonghyun and the latter gave Lay a toothy grin and a wink. Lay slightly flushed and tried to cover his face with his hands but to no avail.

“I see you’ve met my younger brother.” Jonghyun said patting Kibum on his back. Lay checked Hana’s expression and just as he thought, she widened her eyes and didn’t even hide the fact that she was gaping.

“Shocked? Happens all the time,” Jonghyun chuckled and Kibum rolled his eyes.

“Couldn’t you at least take off your apron before coming? Imagine what Hana-sshi would be thinking about you.” Kibum scolded and Jonghyun gave him a blank look.

“She will think that I’m a hard working guy who looks extremely attractive washing dishes. Right Hana-sshi?” Jonghyun asked with a cheeky grin and Hana chuckled. Lay cleared his throat and the older apologized as he realized that they were probably butting in on their date. Jonghyun ordered Kibum to make them their best dishes and dragged his brother back into the kitchen. To be fairly honest, Hana liked them. Kibum seemed a little harsh but his interactions with his brother told her otherwise. Even with all the interruptions, Hana was having fun.

After the two brothers disappeared into the kitchen they were finally left alone. Conversing for them was never a problem and Lay was always happy around Hana but today he was exceptionally happy. Kibum would jump in with a camera more often than he should and take selfies, sometimes it would be just him or sometimes there would be other as well. Jonghyun made a peace sign standing next to Hana and once the photo was taken, he dragged his brother away. After that they were officially undisturbed. For the first time since she started talking, he had her undivided attention. Moreover, she was replying with words. They shared things they didn’t know about each other before. Hana revealed her fear of blood. She explained how her phobia rooted all the way back to her parents’ accident. They didn’t talk much about that topic; instead Lay shifted the discussion to soccer.

“It’s hard to maintain the speed but that’s why we train in the first place.”

“Yeah I noticed. That guy on your team….Hyunwoo! he’s defense right?”

“Yup, but we’re thinking that maybe we should –MINHO!” Lay suddenly shouted across the room and waved. Hana flinched in surprise and turned in her seat to find Tao huffing next to a tall guy with slightly tanned skin. It took him no more than five long strides to get to their table and Lay stood up to broshake the guy named Minho.

“Tao told me you were here! How’s practice going? Season’s coming up right?” Hana watched them with interest. Soccer, they were talking about soccer, but what got Hana curious was that Minho spoke of their school team like he knew them personally.

“Oh my God where are my manners. There’s a lady sitting here and you didn’t even tell me!” Minho smacked the back of Lay’s head and the poor boy rubbed the sore spot.

“Minho. My name is Minho. Flaming Charisma Minho if you’d like to call me that.”

“You said your name thrice already.” Lay mumbled and Minho chuckled and apologized.

“Wait. You didn’t know I’m with someone?”

“Nope.”

“He ran off when I told him you were here. He didn’t even let me finish my sentence.” Tao glared at Minho tiredly and the latter went “Oops! Sorry.”

“At least do your job and take these inside. Hyung’s on his way here.” Tao shoved a few heavy looking cardboard boxes into Minho’s arms and went away. Minho peeked from the sides and told them he’d come by later and went off.

“He….”

“He’s the only one among the co owners who’s solo. He doesn’t have a brother but he does have two sisters.”

“Ah….ok. How does he know so much about our school team?”

“Oh he graduated from there last year. He’s the same age as Taemin. I’m more open with him because we’ve played a lot of soccer together. Me, him and Minseok hyung. But we’ve all been pretty busy lately so we haven’t had the time to meet up.”

“Yeah I can tell from all the ‘where have you been’s I’ve heard today” she chuckled and he laughed. Hana suddenly realized that he had been busy with the winter festival. Based on their previous conversation, he used to come here almost every day with his friends until last summer. But this summer he was busy with the winter festival and soccer practices were draining him as they were. She suddenly felt a little guilty. He enjoyed coming here, and he couldn’t because of a responsibility that was given to him by her aunt.

“It’s the festival isn’t it? That’s why you don’t have the time to come here right? You and the guys I mean?” Lay looked towards her and he saw Hana looking guilt stricken. His confusion gave him no answers that would make Hana’s apparent guilt clear to him. He was about to respond but Kibum’s announcement interrupted him

“Two specials for our special guests!” He placed one plate in front of Hana and one plate in front of Lay and smiled proudly as he straightened. Hana looked towards her plate. There was some plain spaghetti with rolls of stuffed chicken on the side. A good serving of mashed potatoes covered the other side of the plate with oregano garnishing. Kibum said the liquid on the spaghetti is mushroom sauce and that the spaghetti and the chicken had to be eaten together to get the ‘explosion of proper flavor'. They nodded, the food looked extremely good. Hana figured she’d wait until he left to have a bite and Lay was waiting for the same thing so he could commence his query as to what Hana meant with her statement. But he didn’t leave. Instead, his proud smile turned expectant as he stood on their heads. His lower lip was hidden under his teeth which were showing due to his expectant smile and his hands were clasped.

“Well? Try it!”

Hana reluctantly grabbed her fork and knife, Kibum’s stare made her self-conscious. Lay however, casually picked up his and stuffed one entire piece of the chicken roll in his mouth and then some spaghetti before giving his hyung thumbs up while chewing. Hana took the opportunity to quickly cut her piece in half and stabbed it with her fork before twirling some spaghetti around it and shoving the utensil in . Indeed, it tasted great. The flavors blended together so well and the entire sensation was so good that Hana immediately found herself taking another bite.

“I’m assuming she likes it?” Kibum beamed and Lay chuckled. Hana nodded and made a heart out of her hands.

“Love it.” She mentally patted herself. Speaking in front of someone new without a stutter. Achievement unlocked. Kibum jumped and clapped his hands before standing with his hands on his hips. He sighed, “I knew it.” he did an imaginary hair flip and turned towards Lay.

“Your girlfriend is so cute.” He said with a pout and then turned to an embarrassed Hana and pinched her cheeks.

“Aiii! So cuute~” he cooed and patted her head, “I approve you. And I like your hairstyle.”

Hana stuttered a thanks and Key walked away talking to himself.

“He’s nice.” Hana stated as she saw Kibum walk away. When she looked back Lay was staring at her with a questioning look.

“What?”

“What did you mean with your previous question?” He asked and Hana looked towards her plate.

“Nothing I just meant…..you really enjoy being here and you and the guys haven’t visited lately because you have been busy with the winter festival…..” she trailed off and Lay’s eyebrows slightly furrowed.

“Yeah….that and soccer practice but I don’t see a reason for you to look so down about it.” he said and Hana made a whirlpool in her drink with her straw.

“If it wasn’t for my aunt you’d still be able to enjoy your time here…..” she trailed off and Lay raised his eyebrow. No way, was she honestly feeling guilty about that?

“Hana….no offense but, that’s a bit….stupid?” he uttered and the girl looked up.

“No I mean, you don’t have to feel guilty that. Yes we have fun here but I have more fun with the winter preparations. I get to spend time with you every day, I don’t see a point to complain about.” He assured and gave her a smile. Hana felt happy hearing him say that and the tips of her ears pinked.

“Besides, now that you know them too, we can come here some other time too.” He added and Hana nodded.

“I’m sorry.”

“What? Why?”

“For being stupid.” Lay chuckled and Hana broke into a timid smile. He threw a napkin towards her.

“You’re not stupid. Don’t apologize for nothing.”

They conversed as they finished the rest of their meal with Kibum dropping by for more selfies with Minho or Tao. Laughs and giggles were heard and the crew behind the bar table stared at the oblivious couple.

“She looks so nice….” Taemin sighed dreamily, “And pretty…” Tao added in the same state. Jonghyun was propped on his elbows on the counter and smiling at the duo while Kibum was leaning with his arms crossed on Jonghyun’s back.

“I love her clothes…”

“Wow this is new.” Jonghyun snorted and Kibum straightened looking defensive.

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“The main reason you don’t have a girl in your life is ‘cuz you’re worse than the fashion police, and here you are complimenting Hana’s dressing sense. THAT my brother is new.”  Kibum huffed and the others snickered. Onew who was busy attending people since the other staff was obviously slacking, came and stood in the space between the duos of TaoMin and JongKey.

“She does look like a good girl. I mean, he wouldn’t like just anyone right?” Jonghyun nodded at Onew’s statement

“From what I’ve heard from Kai, she really is. WHICH reminds me.” Taemin went into the kitchen with his phone. Jonghyun suddenly broke into a mischievous smile and looked towards Onew who shrugged, “What?”

“I have this awesome idea.” Jonghyun chuckled and even Kibum looked interested as he followed them into the storage room near the mini stage. Tao suddenly shouted and ran towards the door, receiving a glare from Minho as he accidentally bumped into him on the way and almost spilled the coffee filled mugs he was currently delivering to the rightful table.

“Hyung hyung! Look! Lay got a date!” He pointed excitedly towards the couple who were obviously aware that they were being talked about.

“That’s Minseok hyung. Tao’s older brother.” Lay said nodding with his head towards the boy in the white button up shirt and styled hair. Hana nodded and saw Tao updating his hyung animatedly and smiled. Tao reminded her a little of Sehun and Kai. The boy named Minseok ran towards them with a wide smile. He was the second person Lay stood up to meet.

“Hana! Very nice to meet you!” Minseok shook her hand after he was done exchanging greetings with Lay. “So you’re the person who his brother claims has got Lay giggling like a little girl at home.” Minseok casually crossed his arms and Lay gaped at the older boy.

“Hyung!”

“What? It’s true!” Minseok defended and Hana laughed. The older boy turned his attention back towards the girl and indulged in some small talk with the two before he was taken away by Minho.

“Let them enjoy their date it’s enough that they’re under surveillance already.” Minho whispered as he nodded towards the group behind the table. Minseok chuckled and joined Onew in the coffee section of the bar. Kibum presented the couple with a large slice of macaron topped chocolate pie with a vanilla scoop on the side. Caramel sauce was drizzled on the vanilla ice cream and the pie felt like it was melting in their mouths. This guy really knew how to cook.

Hana was stuffed but Minseok arrived with his special ‘Secret’ coffee and she couldn’t say no. Minho came by every now and then to ask if they needed anything, Jonghyun kept his brother from visiting their table too often and the rest were finally busy with work. There were more people coming into the club as the sun started going down and by dawn it was almost packed. She thought they’d leave after paying the bill but she was wrong.

“What do you mean you won’t give us the bill?” Lay asked baffled and Minho shook his head.

“Exactly that.”

“But why not?”

“Because,” Minseok interjected, “it’s your first date and that too at our place. It’s on the house.” Lay was grateful but he couldn’t accept their offer, it would be too much.

“HEY HEY HEY! Let me take a selfie, Minseok hyung wasn’t in the others!”

“Really Kibum?”

“Yes really. Now shut up and smile!”

They smiled for his selfies but the second he put away his camera and ran off somewhere, Lay addressed the others.

“Guys if I knew you were gonna be like this I wouldn’t have brought her here.” Lay huffed. He felt his pone buzz for the nth time but decided to check it later. Hana was touched by their offer but she thought it was unnecessary, they insisted to pay.

“Well if you really want to pay us back,” Onew appeared from behind Minho,” then you could do this one thing.” He wiggled his eyebrows at Lay and the boy narrowed his eyes, trying to figure out what his hyung was thinking. Obviously it wouldn’t be good for him.

“Open mike starts in five minutes and you have to be the first to perform, or else we won’t let you leave.” Jonghyun chimed and Lay’s mouth dropped.

“What?!”

It took them a lot of force, a hell lot of emotional black mail and loads of ‘insisting’ to drag him towards the stage. The club was almost full and there was twilight outside. Taemin made Hana stand right in the middle of the crowd before running towards the stage. Hana saw Kibum get out of some room with several sheets and handed them to Onew. The blonde boy handed a sheet to Minho, Jonghyun, Taemin and Lay while keeping one with him. Lay was already flummoxed as it was, but looking at the sheet his eyes widened and he shouted loud enough for Hana to hear.

“But we didn’t even finish writing this one!” He complained to Jonghyun who shrugged.

“And guess whose fault that is? I don’t care if we didn’t finish writing it or not, YOU WILL SING THIS. End of discussion.”

“BUT! But-“

“ZZPT!” Jonghyun made a lip seal and left Lay looking scared. He never sang in public, it was always Baekhyun and Kyungsoo while he was in the background with the piano or a guitar. He could sing but he preferred not to, he was afraid of screwing up. And right now, they were asking him to sing in front of a crowd in front of the girl he really liked.

Lay instantly regretted his decision to come here.

Minho seated himself behind the drums and Taemin took the piano. Kibum stood beside Hana and beamed down on her.

“You’ll love this. Lay and Jonghyun wrote this song. It’s more like a short version since it’s not complete yet but trust me, you will LOVE it.” He chimed and Hana smiled. She looked back at the stage to find Lay looking extremely nervous. His ears were slightly red and he was blinking a lot. Hana’s smile widened, he looked endearing. He spotted Hana and she gave him thumbs up, he just gave an unsure smile in return.

The lights dimmed and while Jonghyun introduced them and their song, Onew leaned in to whisper in Lay’s ear.

“Don’t worry. Relax and keep your eyes fixed on her. Trust me you’ll be fine.” Lay looked weirdly towards his hyung and Onew winked while giving his signature smile. It was when he read the lyrics again, that he understood what Onew meant.

The lights came back on, dimmer than before and Minho started with the drums. Soon Taemin joined with his piano and they played the instrumental he wrote a long time back. The song had started but Lay couldn’t bring himself to sing, not with all these people staring. His eyes locked with Hana’s and she gave him a warm encouraging smile. Taemin and Minho kept playing the same melody until finally, Lay sang, his eyes glued to Hana’s. Onew motioned the crowd to clap and so they did, creating a rhythm with the song, Jonghyun was playing the tambourine, and he and Onew were the sub vocals. Taemin’s voice was heard in the background from the buildup and Minho too, lent his voice for supporting shouts and vocals.

 

Machi amu geot do moreu neun airo geureohke
Dashi tae eo nan sungan gati

 Eden geu gose bareul deurin taecho ye geu cheoreom maeil
Neo hanaman hyang hamyeo maeumeuro mideumyeo

Aju jageun geoshi rado
Neol himdeulge haji mot hage
Hangsang jikigo shipeo
I’m eternally love~

Neoye suho jaro (hey!)
Jeo geosen barameul makgo

Ni pyeoneuro (hey!)
Moduda deungeul dollyeo do
Hime gyeo un eoneu nal, ni nunmureul dakka jul
Geureon han saram, (hey!) dwelsu it damyeon
Eodideun cheonguk il teni

 

(This moment feels like I was born as a child who knew nothing
Like the beginning when stepping into Eden
Believing you every day from the bottom of my heart

I always want to protect you
So that even the small things won’t tire you out, I’m eternally in love

As your guardian, I will block the stiff wind
Even though people turn their backs to you
If I could become the person
Who can wipe your tears on a tiring day
It will be paradise)

Lay wrote this song a long time ago when he didn’t even know Hana existed. That time when he wrote the lyrics with Jonghyun, he wondered if it was possible for a person to make someone feel all these emotions. Could people actually care for someone enough to say all those things and genuinely mean it? Back then, he didn’t think so. Although when he wrote that song, there were no sentiments to give him the inspiration, but now it was a whole new story. As the crowd cheered and clapped, his words echoed in his ears, the words he said to Jonghyun,

“I wonder if someone will make me feel this way, but I don’t think so”

“Xing, when you find the right girl, who makes you feel like you’re the only person in the world besides her, you will understand, and you will love that feeling.”
 

 

 

Hana couldn’t tear her eyes off of that certain guy in red jacket. His eyes never left hers throughout the song and she felt her heart tug in a special way. She liked him more and more every second. When he sang those lyrics she felt like he meant what he said. Lay was smiling shyly but he didn’t look away until Jonghyun smacked him hard on the back. Onew and Minho directed Lay down stage and high fived some random people along the way while Jonghyun and Taemin stayed back to sing another song.

They left Lay in front of Hana before going back to work. Tao and Kibum had joined the duo on stage and were currently immersed in a rap battle while Minseok was smiling at his brother from behind the bar table. Lay pulled Hana out from the middle of the crowd and stood next to the window where it was quieter.

“Did you uh….like it?” he shyly asked not making eye contact.

“No.” she deadpanned and his eyes snapped towards her in worry.

“I loved it:” She smiled widely and Lay chuckled in relief before laughing along with her giggles.

“I never sing….in public. Ever.”

“Today was an exception?” she asked and he nodded,” really?”

“Well…today is special.” He looked into her eyes and his smile changed. It became softer, gentler and Hana wanted to capture his smile forever.

“How so?” her voice became quieter and he got lost in her eyes. He tucked a stray of hair that escaped her braid behind her ear. Lay felt like dizzy, he didn’t know what he was doing or what was happening but he did know who he was with, and that alone justified all his wild emotions.

“Because today, I got to take the girl I really like on a date.”

He shoved his hands in his pockets and immediately looked away once he realized what he said. He would have Kyungsoo pound him on the head the next time he sees him. How wasn’t even ready to confess then why did he?! However, he figured the cat was out of the bag anyways so he might as well properly say it.

“The truth is….I like you. A lot. Ever since I saw you from the window in that music room you caught my attention. I didn’t even know who you were or why your song was stuck in my head but it was. At first I just wanted to meet you and ask you about that melody and that day when the principal introduced you to us I felt lucky. But as I got to know you I completely forgot the main reason I wanted to meet you.” His voice was soft and his pace was a little faster than usual but Hana didn’t care because she felt like she would explode with all the sentiments.

“Every day that I spent with you made me anticipate our next meetings even more. The first time you smiled I felt like it was the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen. Then you laughed and I couldn’t get your happiness out of my head. The fact that you were happy made me happy. And your voice, you can’t believe what I felt when I heard you for the first time.” He tucked another strand and Hana felt numb.

“That day when we couldn’t find you I felt so frustrated, I didn’t know if I liked you back then but all I knew was that I didn’t want to lose you so soon. When I saw you cry it broke my heart, I realized that day that I didn’t want to see you cry again. I don’t want you crying anymore. I don’t know if you even like me back but….I thought I should let you know how I feel.” He finished and Hana didn’t respond. Her lack of movement made his heart sink, what if she didn’t like him the way he liked her? Too stunned to speak, Hana thought actions would be better than words, Arms suddenly wrapped around Lay’s body and his eyes widened. As he realized what was happening he broke into a smile and hugged her back.

“Would it be a burden if I said I like you too?” Hana’s voice was muffled but he heard it and smiled even wider.

“No. not at all.”

She looked up with glassy eyes and smiled at him. Lay smiled widely and kissed her forehead before hugging her tighter.

note:

longest chapter i have ever written....

im not so good with fluff yet so please bear with my fail attempts. im sorry if i made typos or mistakes. i do them often i know and then when i read it after uploading i go wtf. 

and SHINee :') so many feels i have for them....

Its probably clear but they sang angel here, the teaser verison. in my head Minho was doing the HEY!s while on drums and Taemin was doing that ooooh part in the background before they go into the chorus while Jonghyun and Onew were the additional vocals during the part where they all sing. odd to think. yes but that's how i had it in my head.....

^much long note but i felt it was necessary.....i suggest you listen to it to get a better understanding. i'd better shut up now.

Hope you all like it!