Appointment

Baby Don't Cry

“Is this it?” Sehun asked glancing up to the height of the building. It wasn’t exactly tall, but higher than most that were in the premises. Luhan fixed the collar of his shirt as he stood beside his brother and mimicked his action. Hana took her place behind them and grabbed their wrists, dragging them along. She ignored the ‘Yo’ and ‘Hey!’ they produced in protest and pulled them into the building. The automatic doors opened and protected them from the burning heat and a sudden blast of artificially cooled air hit their faces. The inside was just like any normal building. A white marble floor along with expensive looking paintings hung on dark walls. People walked around in corporate attires while some had dressed a little less formally. Currently Sehun, Luhan and Hana were the only ones who seemed misfit even within the not so formally dressed. Sehun wore destroyed jeans with a half sleeved dark blue graphic tee. Luhan wasn’t dressed as casually as his brother, with a white button up shirt with top two buttons undone, and light blue jeans, he could almost fit in with the rest of the crowd in the building. He had his sleeves rolled up because of the heat and his car keys were clasped between his fingers. Hana was as casual as Sehun, a white tank top with a black quarter sleeved cardigan and grey shorts, paired with black converse. She had been around this building too many times now, and sightseeing was not on her list, therefore she pulled her cousins along into the elevator because without her push they refused to move.

 

Hana was told that Luhan and Sehun knew about her condition, her entire medical history. They knew about her depression, her attempts to overdose, attempt to cut, malnutrition, and even the constant traumas she suffered due to her nightmares. However, they were glad to know that she was recovering. According to the reports Junmi had shown them, her depression wasn’t as bad as before, she was finally taking medications on time, she hadn’t attempted anything that would put her life at risk, and her nightmares were a lot less frequent now. Despite her malnutrition still existing, she had started eating properly once again, and if her current condition was her improved state, Luhan didn’t even want to imagine how she would’ve looked when things were the worst.

 

“How long have you been coming here?” Luhan asked as they waited for the elevator to reach their floor. It was Monday, which meant Hana had her session with the psychologist, and the brothers decided to tag along. Sehun was curious what sort of therapy she received and Luhan wanted to discuss with her doctor if they could help with her condition in any way. Hana held up three fingers.

 

“Three weeks?” Sehun guessed and Hana shook her head.

 

“Months. Three months.” Luhan stated and Hana snapped before pointing at him with a smile. Luhan gave a toothy grin of accomplishment and the door dinged. They were on their floor. Hana walked out of the elevator into the overly familiar room and checked her watch. Her cousins followed behind and stood a step behind her as they looked around. Hana knocked on the mahogany door and waited. Sehun rocked on his heels and Luhan glared at him but the younger didn’t even bother to look so Luhan just ended up huffing and looking away.

 

The door opened, and to Sehun’s surprise, rather than being greeted by a lady in her late thirties with a sweet smile, they saw a tall boy with disheveled brown hair, but with an equally sweet smile as he let Hana in.

 

Sehun rose an eyebrow, “What the…..this doesn’t look like the doctor mom described!”, the younger whisper-shouted at his brother as he pulled his sleeve for attention. Luhan just blankly nodded and said “I know” before shouting a greeting.

 

“Yo man! What’s up!” Luhan gave him a broshake and followed Hana inside leaving behind a very confused Sehun. He felt severely left out and he did not like it,

 

“Oh you’re Sehun right? Luhan’s younger brother? Come on in!” Sehun allowed himself to be dragged in by the new face. He stared at him warily as he stood beside his cousin. Hana was confused over Luhan’s familiarity with him, she was certain Junmi hadn’t mentioned the boy before since Junmi didn’t know about him either, the look on Sehun’s face screamed ‘WhoTheFridgeIsThisGuy?!’, so Hana knew he didn’t know him either, so how did Luhan? She pointed towards her cousin before she took her finger to the boy in front of them and gave them a questioning look. Luhan let out an ‘oh’ after he realized that nobody knew of their connection and answered the question she wanted to ask.

 

“He’s my friend. I met him while I was in China.” Hana made an ‘ah’ sound as she nodded her head and formed a smile. Sehun did not only feel extremely let out but also ignored, so he cleared his throat to catch the attention he very much needed. Luhan chuckled and Hana shot Sehun a teasing smile, they knew what was going on. Luhan decided to take Sehun out of his misery.

 

“Sehun this is my good friend Kris. I met him China during my stay there.”

 

Sehun nodded, trying to look as indifferent as possible and Kris nodded. He held out his hand for Sehun to shake, which he did, and gave them all a smile while directing them to the couch.  Kris gathered the papers that were scattered on the table. There were various reports of patients with different problems, different medication slips, and files all with photos of the belonging individuals. Hana saw her photo between the bulks before Kris took it away and took a deep breath. She had been coming here for almost three months now and according to her reports she was recovering fine. If this kept up, she’d have the confidence to talk again in no time, and that was the day she was most desperately waiting for. In the last few years Hana had never once had the urge to speak as badly as she wanted to now. Therefore, she made sure to attend all sessions, and make sure to practice in her room as much as she could. It was her goal, to be able to speak in public by the end of this summer. She wanted to take part in the conversations Lay and the group had rather than just nodding along to their words. She wanted to voice her suggestions, say her opinions and do things herself.

 

Kris and Luhan talked about basketball and Sehun shortly joined in after his failed attempt of creating a cool image. Hana waited with a magazine. She wasn’t reading though, instead she was repeating every exercise she had been taught in her head to prepare herself for the session. They heard a door closing from inside the office and shortly, the lady Junmi had described came into view. She smiled warmly at Hana, as well as the new comers and Kris.

 

“Hello, I’m sorry for the delay I got a call from my husband”, she excused before focusing her attention on Luhan and Sehun. “Oh! New faces! Who do we have here…” she looked towards Luhan, Kris whispered something in her ear and her eyes sparkled a little,” Ah! You’re Luhan!” she asked and Luhan nodded with his innocent smile.

 

“Kris has told me all about you.” She said as she glanced back towards her son who just gave her a sheepish smile. She then looked towards Sehun who looked lost and smiled, “And who might this young man be?”. Luhan took the opportunity to answer for his stuttering brother, “This is my younger brother, Sehun. He and Hana are of the same age”, Luhan ended with a smile and Sehun nodded along, giving an awkward smile.

 

“Nice to meet you Sehun. I hope my son here didn’t bore you.” Fei teased as she bumped her shoulders with Kris, the boy just whined in response. Hana was still a little..out of it, she was still fresh on the fact that her cousin was friends with her psychiatrist’s son. Also, she felt as if Luhan knew that Kris would be here. He wasn’t surprised like Sehun, so how did he know it? Hana made sure to ask him that later.

 

“It’s good to finally meet you Dr. Fei, thank you so much for taking care of our Hana for us.” Luhan smiled and the humble lady just waved her hand. “It’s nothing, I’m doing my job after all right?” the lady chuckled and Luhan nodded along. Sehun didn’t have much to say so he stood quiet and looked around before staring at Hana for fun. She gave him several questioning looks but he’d either just give an overly innocent smile or wink. Hana considered having Sehun attend a few of these sessions too, the boy clearly needed them.

 

Fei dismissed the boys after a while of friendly chatting. Hana saw Luhan speaking to Fei at the door and the lady nodded in response before shutting it, allowing the previously noisy room to become suddenly quiet. One of the reasons why Hana actually like coming to Fei compared to her past psychologists was because Fei didn’t pressure her. She just smiled. It took her two weeks to get Hana to be comfortable around her and she fulfilled that task with utmost patience any of her doctors had ever displayed with her. For fourteen days Fei talked to Hana about random things, made her coffee, told her about her family. She learned that Fei had two sons, one who was a psychologist just like his mother. Hana saw Kris for the first time when she came in on her first week. Fei told her that Kris liked helping her out at the office, and that he volunteered to help on a few cases as well for experience. About her other son, Hana only knew that he attended the same school as her and was music major. Fei mentioned her other son’s name, but Hana found it hard to remember, she only recalled that it was difficult to pronounce, probably since it was Chinese. Hana remembered having trouble remembering Kris’s name as well but since he made constant appearances and helped her practice during her sessions, he made her life easier by giving her his ‘hangout name’. After those fourteen days of only the elder one talking,  Hana finally made an effort

 

Fei’s smile made Hana instantly comfortable. There were dimples on both her cheeks and it reminded her of the only person she knew of having dimples, albeit only one. Hana was asked to sit down and Fei sat down next to her. Their session was starting.

 

 

 

“Hanaaaa!!! How was it?!” Sehun chimed as he bounced in front of her. She took a step back to avoid bumping into her overexcited cousin. She gave him two thumbs up and giggled. Looking around she noticed Luhan and Kris weren’t there. She gave Sehun a questioning gaze but instead of even asking why she was looking at him like that, he offered her a donut from the box he was holding.

 

“One chocolate cream filled donut with sprinkled nuts just for my precious.” Sehun smile widened as he saw Hana’s eyes increase in diameter. He knew exactly what she liked, and exactly how she liked it. The same rule applied to Hana and Luhan, they knew each other inside out. Hana took a bite of the delectable pastry and didn’t notice two panting figures that approached them until she heard Sehun’s painful protest.

 

“Where the heck did you run off to?!” Luhan shouted and glared at Sehun who abandoned rubbing the back of his head and hid behind Hana. Kris was panting too hard to speak and Hana wondered what had happened that led them to the current situation. Luhan tried making his way around Sehun’s human shield but failed since Sehun would always drag her with him; Luhan figured it’d be better if he asked Hana to move away instead.

 

“Hana could you move to the left?” he asked politely but Hana wasn’t so sure if that was a good idea.

 

“No! Hana don’t move! If you ever loved me please don’t move!” Sehun begged.

 

“Hana honestly I need you to move so I can beat the crap out of him.”

 

“Hana no!”

 

Hana thought Sehun’s safety was more important. Besides, if after hearing what happened she decided to have Sehun get some heat from his brother, then she’d comply to the elder’s wishes. She looked back at the cowering Sehun, then the pissed off Luhan, and her arms crossed. Luhan heaved a sigh because that meant she wouldn’t move, but he knew how to make her.

 

“You see all these plastic bags?” Luhan asked pointing towards the numerous plastic shoppers lying next to an awkward looking Kris and the spot where Luhan previously was.

 

“Wanna know what these are? Donuts. Each bag has two medium sized boxes of different types of donuts.” Luhan explained rather calmly and Hana slowly nodded. So that’s where the donut came from…..

 

“Now you know why I want to get my hands on Mr. Snow White-“

 

“Hey!” Sehun exclaimed but then let out an ‘ouch’ when Hana hit him to shut up. He wasn’t helping his situation.

 

“ He casually ordered like a dozen boxes like it’s no big deal without telling us. And then he left with just that one box,” Hana’s eyes traveled behind her towards the box Luhan was pointing at. It was still in Sehun’s possession.

 

“So you tell me. Would you, or would you not want to knock the daylights out of the person who would order shiz loads of donuts and then walk out of the café while not even bothering to inform the two people he came with about what he had done? The cashier person was weird as she was already! She kept giving me creepy looks! Now imagine a person like that coming over and suddenly telling you that a guy who claimed to be my younger brother had made a bill that big! Let me get my hands on you and I’ll give you a piece of my mind!” Luhan shouted the last sentence, complete opposite of the tone he was using before, and dashed towards the boy behind Hana.

 

“HANA SAVE ME!”

 

Sehun deserved every painful impact Luhan was going to give him but she didn’t have the heart to move and leave her cousin in the merciless hands of Luhan. She didn’t move, and it took a little time before Luhan gave up trying to go around her. Sehun thought the coast was clear, so he straightened.

 

“Sheesh…so scary…” he mumbled and Hana used this opportunity to hit him hard on the head. Her next target was his back, then his stomach, before she ended by hitting him hard on him . The last hit made him yelp. Sehun kneeled in pain and Luhan looked more than satisfied with Hana with the size of smile he was flashing.

 

“It would’ve been better if you would’ve let hyung do it” Sehun coughed and Luhan high fived Hana, “Uh no it wouldn’t have. I would’ve hit you ten times worse than she did”, Luhan stated. Luhan apologized to Kris for momentarily forgetting his existence but Kris laughed it off. He did say he felt bad for Sehun since he got himself beat up in front of him on the first day of their meeting. Sehun didn’t like it either, but Kris eased some of Sehun’s misery by telling them that his friend’s brother had done something similar, and in the end he and his friend had to deal with the bills.

 

“But you said that we should get many donuts since Hana likes them!” Sehun argued but Luhan shook his head.

 

“Yes I did. But that doesn’t mean you get three dozens of them! What do you expect we do with all of these?! Dude mom’s gonna kill you. And it’s just our second day living with her!” Luhan knocked his head. Younger’s shoulders slumped. Luhan was right. Junmi will kill him.

 

“How about Kris takes some? As a sign of gratitude and apology?” Sehun suggested with a little shrug as he guiltily looked towards Kris. Kris felt stuck, but Sehun had had enough of his family’s wrath and who doesn’t like donuts?

 

“Yeah, sure I can take some.” He offered with a smile and Luhan breathed out.

 

“Thanks man.” He gave Kris a light punch on the shoulder and smiled in relief.

 

Hana helped distribute the boxes. Despite giving Kris some of them, they still had a lot left, and Hana thought that she’d give some to the guys tomorrow as well. They were about to exit when Luhan asked them to wait in the car. They had said their goodbyes to Kris at the office door and Luhan claimed that he had forgotten to tell something to his friend. Luhan knocked on the office door and waited until Fei opened. She let him inside and made him sit on the same spot Hana sat.

 

“Where’s Kris?” Luhan asked looking around as he could not spot the male.

 

“He left already. Didn’t you see him go?” Fei asked and Luhan shook his head. There was a pause before she spoke up again.

 

“So what is it that you wanted to ask dear?” She looked at him inquisitively.

 

“I’m sorry if I’m being a bother but this is truly important to me. You probably know what happened to Hana’s family, and you must also know the affect everything has had on her” Fei nodded with a smile and Luhan continued, “My mom told me that she wasn’t doing well at all, and that she had stopped talking completely. I became extremely extremely worried. There was nothing I could do to help. But then I met Kris, and he told me about you. Dr. Fei one of the main reasons why I begged my mom to send Hana to you was because I was confident you’d be able to help her. I probably felt that way because you’re the mother of the person who has proved himself as a true friend to me in the short time span we have known each other.”

 

“ My mom said there was progress in her condition. I don’t know if there was or wasn’t any, this is the first time I saw her in two years I don’t know what she looked like before or how she behaved. If I may, the only thing I want to ask you is what exactly happened to Hana? I never really fully understood…..also, has she been improving?”

 

Luhan paused and they fell into a pregnant silence before Fei spoke.

 

“You’re a nice boy Luhan. I see why Kris talks about you so much” she smiled showing her dimples and Luhan returned with a shyer smile. He immediately grew serious once he heard her continue.

 

“Hana…is a very sweet girl. The events that happened to her at such a young age are truly heart breaking, and I won’t ask because it’s not my place to, I have a feeling that her parents accident isn’t the only mental and emotional burden she has suffered?” Fei asked and Luhan nodded with pursed lips.

 

“Ah, yes. Your mother told me she tried to commit suicide.  Judging from her appearance when she first came here, she has improved a lot. She may not look like it, but she has. Luhan, Hana suffered from major post traumatic stress when she saw her parents die. Correct me if I’m wrong, but after the accident she didn’t speak for a while, am I right?”, she asked with a knowing smile and Luhan nodded. He remembered Hana’s dead eyes. They thought they lost Hana too that day, but luckily Sehun was able to slip a few words from her a week later.

 

“ My boy this is called selective mutism. It mostly occurs in children but there are always exceptions. It’s when a child is afraid to speak in public and therefore decides to stop speaking at all as long as they’re in that setting. However once they’re comfortable again they begin to talk. In Hana’s case, she underwent major post traumatic stress, and the shock and trauma from the incident made her go into traumatic mutism. Later, as Junmi has told me, she started to speak again, but little than before. Then some vague series of events occurred and she stopped again and ‘til now she hasn’t uttered a word to any of you. Her recovery was probably because she had distractions, people she was comfortable around urged her to talk. But she still hadn’t recovered completely, and the second blow was the last straw that made her go into severe depression and she retorted to selective mutism. Her mutism got worse, probably since she no longer had anyone to talk to. Junmi tells me she had to get Hana enrolled to special classes since she was too afraid to study with normal students.”

 

“It’s probably due to this social isolation that her mutism went out of hand. Let me give you an example so you can get a better hold of what I’m about to tell you. When Kris was little, and he had summer vacations, he hardly ever wrote. And when the school used to start after the break, his writing used to be deformed for the first two days because he was so out of practice. Same is the case with Hana. She hasn’t spoken for so long that she became out of practice. She lost confidence in speaking once she realized it. This is probably why even though she has friends now, she is too afraid to speak in front of them.”

 

“Honestly, when Junmi told me about her, I thought she’d be in horrible condition given all the stuff that happened. But when I met her, I saw she had improved so much without me already. She was smiling, laughing and actually making an effort to speak. Most people would take months to get to those stages. I hear it because she made new friends, and honestly Luhan if I were you, I would first go and thank them for helping your cousin so much.”

 

Luhan heard Fei’s every word with great care. His head was spinning with all the information and he took a deep, deep breath.

 

“So…is there anything I can do? Anything WE can do..? to help her?” Luhan asked sounding a little desperate. Fei nodded.

 

“She’s doing well in practice. She speaks broken words and has problems with pronunciations. Also, she has trouble speaking an entire sentence properly and has to work on her rhythm. She needs all the practice she can get. I suggest you help her. Two to three hours every day. Sit with her alone in a room and converse with her. I don’t think it would take long for her to speak in front of you since you guys are close anyways. Just help her practice and boost her confidence. I’m sure she doesn’t skip her medicines but make sure she takes them anyways.”

 

Luhan nodded gratefully and thanked her over and over again before leaving her office. The things he had heard replayed in his head. He couldn’t believe his ears. Hana went through so much mental stress and none of them were aware of it. His silver lining to the entire situation was that she was improving. He made sure to make his brother and mother (she was still confused) understand exactly what had happened to her and what they could do to help her. He also made a mental note to meet Hana’s new friends and personally thank them for being there for her.

 

Luhan walked out the building to see Hana, Sehun and Kris, each holding a donut and looking at something on Sehun’s phone. Hana saw him exit and ushered him over hurriedly. Luhan gave her a smile.

 

She’s smiling, she’s laughing, she’s mingling….my Hana is so strong. I’ll make sure you get your confidence back Hana. And then we’ll get to hear your voice again…the voice that we all miss so much.’

 

-

 

so....you guys know now ^_^

And I make typos or stupid mistakes often so pl do ignore them :P

Plus!  Im not a pro and I've never studied psychology but I do have a cousin who's a psychologist and I did loads of research to make this as accurate as possible.  But still if its not 100% correct then I apologize. Most of what I wrote is what I found out from research and from my cousin.