Restricted Access

Baby Don't Cry

Ever since going through the torture of finishing that damned lemon ice cream, Hana would be lying if she said there wasn’t an itch in . It wasn’t severe, but if not treated properly, it could result in a fever and that was the last thing anyone is the household wanted. It was the season where flues and sore throats were viral, but even so, being sick during the last two weeks of vacations was a no no.

 

“Your eyes are a little red, you sure you’re alright?” Luhan asked probably the sixth time. He saw how she was being quiet, unlike her months old self. Plus her eyes were red, he doesn’t know what went down after he left with Kris but he does know that the last person she saw other than Sehun and himself was Lay. Sehun hadn’t said anything, Luhan was sure he hadn’t said anything mean either, then who would be the source of the possibility that she cried?

 

“I’m fine Luhan don’t worry.” She tried assuring but her voice cracked at the end. Luhan’s brows furrowed.

 

“Did Lay do something? Did he hurt you?” He asked in a not so polite voice and Hana’s eyes widened.

 

“What? N-“

 

“’Cuz I swear to God if he did I will-“

 

“Hyung! Chill! Listen to her at least.” Sehun interjected and Hana sighed in relief. Luhan successfully shut up due to the sudden intrusion and Hana took the opportunity to clear her innocent boyfriend’s name.

 

“He didn’t do anything, he didn’t say anything, and I just have a mild case of sore throat. “ Luhan looked a little flustered and Sehun scoffed.

 

“Way to overanalyze things bro.” he said popping a grape in his mouth and joining the table with his bowl of cereal.

 

“I was just- this- nevermind.” Luhan stuttered and immediately dug into the rest of his pancakes. Hana sniggered at her cousin and shook her head when Luhan’s gaze locked with hers again, but this time filled with pure concern rather than being littered by suspicion.

 

“Take care though. How about you stay home today?” Hana stopped her spoon mid air and immediately shook her head.

 

“But I’m fine! It’ll be ok Luhan don’t worry.”

 

“Are you-“

 

“-sure?” Sehun finished grabbing her wrist.

 

“You don’t have a fever but I don’t think you should push your luck.”

 

“I’ll be fine guys.” Hana reassured. Luhan looked reluctant but nodded and Sehun shrugged. He’d be with her anyways so he could always bring her back. Junmi entered the house surprising the three.

 

“Mom….I thought you were sleeping?” Sehun asked with pinched brows and his mother quickly walked towards the table and settled opposite her niece. She looked tired; then again, anyone who has been waking up at 5 am and going back and forth between Jeju and Seoul for the past two weeks would be tired. That day she woke up at the same time and since then had been in her office, the upcoming soccer cup sure was a handful.

 

“Are you alright mom?” the older asked concerned and his mother held his hand with a smile.

 

“I’m fine Han, just tired.”

 

“Should I get you something? Water? Breakfast?” Hana sniffed as she asked but luckily none of the boys noticed.

 

“Water would be nice.”

 

The teen immediately shot up and returned with a glass of water and two toasts. Giving her water, Hana continued to spread peanut butter and jam on both slices and slid the plate towards her.

 

“The cup is nearing and oh God why did it have to be outside Seoul this year.” Junmi groaned and took an aggressive bite of her sandwich.

 

“Why is soccer even a big deal? It’s just a bunch of good looking boys running around the field tiring themselves out to make goals. Someone please remind me why is it so cool? What’s the big fuss? What? I mean what? And would it have KILLED the board to settle the location in Seoul? But nooooooooo, ‘stadiums in Seoul are too expensive’ they said. Idiots. Do they even know how much work this is?!” Junmi went as far as mimicking voices and continued rambling. Luhan would normally step up and defend his love but his mother needed the outburst so he let it slide this one time. After another five minutes of cursing everyone Junmi had met in the past four hours, the woman relaxed and sighed. The kids listened of course and Hana tried her best not to cough due to the itch in . It was silent for a while, the three observed her as she sat there breathing heavily before them. But before Luhan, or anyone could break the silence, Junmi spoke again, only this time, they were stunned by what they heard.

 

“I’m officially divorced now. It was finalized an hour ago.”

 

Being at loss of words, only their eyes displayed their surprise. But the boys weren’t as shocked as their cousin. They knew a divorce was in process, but while they were happy their mother was no longer tied to that wretched man, there was still a pang of loss. or not, he was still their father. Hana believed that she would convince her uncle to take Junmi back, that she won’t live with them any longer once she was stable in her life and then her aunt and her cousins could be a happy family again. But this…this wasn’t right. Not in her eyes. She didn’t know about her uncle’s affair, neither did she know completely about the event that occurred that night. She still thought that it was because of her that Junmi and her sons got kicked out of the house, or rather, left the house.

 

“That’s…that’s great mom. You’re finally free. We’re free now.” Luhan’s voice was soft enough that it could pass as a whisper. The sons reached out to grab her hands and gave her assuring smiles. Tears pricked Hana’s eyes as she recalled that night and suddenly, her aunt’s glassy eyes looked like it was her fault.

 

“I-I’m-“ the coughs she had been holding back slipped and the tears involuntarily streamed out of her eyes. Sehun let go of his mother and stood next to Hana as he patted her back. She didn’t calm down though, instead she began sobbing, the tears didn’t stop like she wanted them to, and the bad condition of only made it worse for her. Luhan called her but she wouldn’t listen, instead she clung onto Sehun’s shirt even more and repeatedly apologized.

 

“Darling what’s wrong? Why are you crying?” Junmi stood at her other side with her voice filled with panic. Hana’s sobbing didn’t stop, and the lady took matters into her own hands when she pulled her away from Sehun and towards herself.

 

“Hana, relax. Relax and breathe. Tell me, what’s wrong?” she grabbed her face in her hands and made Hana look at her. Hana could hardly see a clear image of her aunt’s face due to the spilling tears but the concern in the other’s eyes was hard to miss.

 

“I’m sorry. I’m so sorry aunt Junmi this is all my fault. I didn’t want this to happen  I swear, I didn’t mean to be a burden I’m so sorry-“

 

“Hana what the hell are you talking about?” Junmi interjected and Hana swallowed hard, burning at the act.

 

“Uncle has a problem with me right? I’m the reason why you had to move out and I’m so sorry for all the fights but I swear it was unintentional. I don’t want you to divorce him because I’m your responsibility.-“

 

“Hanny calm down! Who told you all this?”

 

“Isn’t that what it is? That night, it was because of me, the fight. I didn’t mean for it to be this big I’m so sorry.” She broke out into another round of sobs and Junmi hugged her in hopes to calm her down. She looked towards her sons, both equally concerned and slightly disoriented; this is what Hana thought all along? They should’ve cleared the story to her sooner.

 

“ It’s rubbish Hana. None of this is your fault.” Junmi assured as she gently rubbed her back. Hana leaned away and her red eyes spoke more than her words could. She was blaming herself again when it clearly wasn’t even her fault to begin with.

 

“There’s something you should know Hana.”

 

-

 

“Han, are you listening?”

 

“Huh?” she saw Sehun giving her a worried look. It had been an eventful morning for all of them. There was a hole in their hearts but Hana’s was probably the biggest. Junmi sat her down in her bedroom and told her everything. She stared from when she met her ex husband, to when they got married. She told him how it was the biggest mistake of her life. His infidelity was revealed like a bunny from a hat. She didn’t sugar coat it, she didn’t make Youngmin seem innocent in anyway. She told her the truth, the pure truth. How he lied to her for two years, the fights that he purposely started just to create a rift even before Hana was a part of their household. She told her in clear words how Hana was just an excuse, a target for his pathetic excuses. Youngmin was the opposite of what Junmi knew him to be, or rather, she thought she knew him to be. She was a young beauty with the jewel of naivety, to her he was like a breeze of fresh air and romance. Never in her life did she think that the man she trusted so much, gave all those years of her life to, the person because of whom she went against her family, her sister, would turn out to be a cheat and a liar. Being cheated on for 4 years is heartbreaking, and she told Hana that. Hana was old enough to understand, concealing anything would not only be useless, but possibly harmful for her. Hana cried again, not for herself, but for what her aunt had to go through. Being in a relationship herself, she could not even imagine the pain a scenario like this could cause. To know your husband was with someone else for all those years, to know he was lying to you. The fact that there was no trust left in their relationship, it was scary.

 

“It wasn’t-“

 

“-my fault. I understand now, don’t worry.” Sehun sighed and nodded. She smiled back gratefully at him. On their way to the bus stand where the group decided to meet, their short journey was quiet. Hana pulled her jacket closer and readjusted the plastic bags in her hand, deep in thought. Being cheated on was probably the worst feeling. Suddenly Hana didn’t find Yuri’s coldness towards her unjustifiable. Albeit that it was a misunderstanding, she still didn’t know the truth. Hana had to talk to Yuri and clear everything before the end of this term; she didn’t want to leave high school with memories of a broken friendship.

 

“How’s your throat?”

 

“It’s alright.” It wasn’t entirely the truth but she didn’t want a sore throat to ruin her day, the rest of it at least. Moreover, she wanted to see Lay. She needed some sort of assurance, what sort she didn’t know, she just knew she really needed to see him.

 

“Are you excited? You’ll be joining regular classes with Chanyeol!” he tried to change the topic to lift the mood, besides, they both could use a distraction. Sehun was glad his mother was no longer tied to that man, but he still lost a father. The time Sehun without Luhan was probably the worst time he can recall spending. Luhan leaving was like a license for Youngmin to be able to do whatever he wanted. Sometimes Sehun wondered what Luhan did, or what type of authority his brother had that their father had a leash while he was around. The next day after Luhan left, another person suddenly moved into the house. She wasn’t mean, ok she was but she wasn’t like those typical witch step mothers either. She wasn’t a bully, just when she was angry, which was pretty much all the time, she would shout randomly, throw fits (and things) and argue with Youngmin. Sehun honestly didn’t understand what his father saw in that woman. She was pretty and young, but that’s it. No manners, no values, no morals, nothing. So the day when Luhan returned from China and took Sehun out of that house was the best day of Sehun’s life. He felt alone, isolated, tortured even, but all of that went away with the arrival of his brother. The day Luhan returned and saw the state of the house, moreover, the state of his brother, he was furious. One day was long enough for him to find a place to stay for the time being. Kris recommended several affordable accommodations and Luhan was grateful towards his friend. Luhan was officially employed a month after his return and two days later they reunited with their mother and Hana.

 

Sehun had been through a lot, not more than Hana but maybe just as much as her. Their situations were different, probably why their experience had different affects on them. While Hana shut herself from the world, Sehun was just shut from his mother. Youngmin wouldn’t let him contact Junmi no matter how much he begged for it. Bless Luhan for being the only act of communication between the family while being in China or else Sehun would’ve gone crazy.

 

“Kind of, not sure what to feel.” Her reply was truthful. She didn’t know what to feel. She was excited but scared as well. Joining classes would mean getting the last taste of the high school experience she missed, but it would also mean regular confrontation with Yuri and that jerk. She could handle Yuri, she was determined to talk to her and set the record straight but him, she didn’t know if she could face him yet. The freak who turned her best friend against her. She still clearly remembered that day…..

 

 “Isn’t that normal? Like it would probably be like your first day of school all over again.”

 

Yes, it would be. But what’s great about first days is that you’re fresh, a new face meeting new people who don’t know anything about you. However this time? No, things will be different since some people would probably recognize her, some would remember the damned rumors and look down on her. She’ll probably be judged, just like before. Hana wondered if it was worth it. She could just return to take regular classes and graduate without a hitch. But no, that would be too easy, and Hana wanted to empower herself for once. Sehun slung his arm over her shoulder and it assured her (even if it wasn’t the original intent) that her cousin would be there with her. She’ll have Lay, Baekhyun, Kyungsoo, Kai, Chanyeol, Jongdae……she’ll have the people who trust her. As long as they have their trust in her, Hana realized she didn’t care about the others. They talked about random things from then on. Sehun gave her a heads up about all the weird teachers, their pet peeves, everything. Hana realized the information would be important. But Sehun was cut short when they were almost at the bus stop and saw three figures running towards them. Sehun was a little curious as to why Kai, Kyungsoo and Lay were running but didn’t have the opportunity to voice his thoughts because before he knew it, his cousin was zooming off in the same direction with her plastic bag.

 

She looked funny though.

 

Lay saw her run and his speed increased leaving the other two behind and met half way with his girlfriend at the stop. Hana crashed into a hug and he spun her around, leaving Sehun and the other two a little confused.

 

“Kai put that away.” Kyungsoo scolded and Kai made a face before tucking his camera back in. They walked towards Sehun who long took his gaze elsewhere from his still hugging cousin and her boyfriend.

 

“You cool with this?” Kyungsoo pointed towards the couple with a raised brow.

 

“Yeah, I’m good. But if it were Luhan, he probably would’ve stood at their heads right now.” Sehun sniggered and Kai narrowed his eyes.

 

“Didn’t they meet just two days ago?”

 

“Yeah but….oh well.” Kyungsoo shrugged and Sehun shivered, “tsk, couples.” But he had a pretty good idea why Hana hadn’t broken the hug yet.

 

“I missed you.”

 

“We met two days ago.” She reminded Lay and leaned away.

 

“Still.” He shrugged as Hana shook her head.

 

“Why were you running?” his arms were still around her waist keeping her in place while hers were dangling in the air.

 

“Because I wanted a hug. Why were you running?”

 

“I wanted one too-“

 

“Actually, we thought we were late and would miss the bus but turns out Kai didn’t see the time properly.” Kyungsoo piped and Lay sighed. She giggled at his expression and released herself from his loose grip.

 

“Jongdae, Baekhyun and Chanyeol should be here by now……” Kai mumbled as  he checked his watch before glancing over his surroundings.

 

“Why do you guys always travel in trios?” Sehun asked and Kai shot him a look.

 

“Why do you eat pancakes?”

 

“Excuse me?”

 

“Exaclty.” Kai nodded and returned his attention to the surrounding leaving Sehun dumbfounded. They heard quickly approaching footsteps and looked to find the remaining three running towards them. Baekhyun’s bag bounced with his yellow hoodie and Chanyeol was struggling with the straps of his satchel while Jongdae looked like he had a hard time running in general.

 

“Sorry! Chanyeol’s overslept and didn’t wake me up which is why I over-overslept and couldn’t wake Jongdae and he ended up over-over-oversleeping because of that.”

 

“Did you guys miss the bus because of us?” Chanyeol asked worriedly as his eyes grew wide with guilt.

 

“Nope, the bus didn’t arrive yet.” Sehun replied and the three grew confused.

 

“How is that possible? It clearly says 3:45! And its 3:50 right now!” Jongdae exclaimed. Kyungsoo glared at Kai because it was because of that earthworm they made the same mistake.

 

“Jongdae look at your ticket and tell me the bus number.” Kyungsoo requested calmly and the said boy pulled out the slightly creased piece of paper from his pocket.

 

“KM106, why?”

 

“That’s not our bus. KM106 goes to the mountains while KW106 goes to the beach at 4:00. You geniuses read it wrong.” Chanyeol silently backed away from Baekhyun and Jongdae with a wary expression and the two glared at him.

 

“At least we’re not late….right?”

 

-

 

“Sehun I thought you said you’d bring her home if her condition got worse.” Luhan scolded and Sehun held his hands up defensively.

 

“I swear the second I noticed her getting pale I started packing up. The bus didn’t arrive soon enough hyung, I’m sorry.”

 

“Luhan stop scolding Sehun it wasn’t his fault. I’m not even that si-“

 

“You have a 102 fever Hana. Shut it and lie down again.”

 

Hana did as she was told. She pulled the blankets closer to her and watched the two brothers settle

 

round her. She cursed and her luck, why did she have to get sick during the last weeks? They were having so much fun at the beach but kept bothering her. She avoided going near the water and any cold drinks she was offered. Sehun really tried his best to keep a watch on her but by the time he realized her worsening condition, it was a little too late. Lay felt her getting warmer and noticed how she’d keep a distance between them ever since they got to their destination. Her coughing wasn’t helping either and Kyungsoo eventually asked if she was feeling alright. If it wasn’t for the delayed bus, they would’ve been home sooner and maybe Hana wouldn’t have been this sick. Luhan was angry but he let it go after a while. Though did rub it in their faces that he them so.

 

“So now what?” Hana asked with her hoarse voice.

 

“Now, you try not to talk and stay in bed while we take care of you.” Hana sighed at Luhan and dug deeper into the covers. She felt so cold, the misery of being sick and bed ridden was kicking in already. Also, to make it worse-

 

“Lay’s here to see you.” Sehun announced and showed him his message.

 

“They’re back already?” Luhan looked surprised and Hana immediately sat up, causing the room to spin, making her close her eyes and hold her head.

 

“Slow down there Han.” Sehun helped her steady and she grabbed his arm.

 

“You can’t let Lay in.” she said seriously and Sehun raise a brow at her unexpected request.

 

“Wha- why not?”

 

“Sick of his face?” Luhan suggested with a snicker and Hana shot him a look.

 

“It’s not that. You know how it’s easy to catch the virus and he has to be in perfect condition in order to be fully prepared for soccer season and practices.”

 

“And so….?”

 

“And so if you let him in and he gets sick too then he may not be able to participate and will not be able to give his 100%, and if he doesn’t do that then all his hard work will go to waste and I will feel like a horrible girlfriend because I got him sick.” She pouted and Sehun looked back at Luhan with a ‘da heck’ expression.

 “Kudos for over thinking cuz.”Sehun said and Hana sighed.

 

“Just don’t let him in.” Hana begged and Luhan gave her a thumbs up.

 

“Got it.”

 

-

 

“I don’t understand how they get to go in and I don’t.” Lay grumbled and Luhan shook his head.

 

“Sorry man, Hana’s orders.”

 

“But why won’t she let me see her! I swear I won’t get sick! C’mon hyung please?”

 

“No can do. Sorry yo.”

 

“Sehun-“

 

“Don’t look at me dude.” He walked past him and Lay wanted to punch her two cousins.

 

“It’s been three days; don’t you think it’s a little ridiculous?” Lay asked and Luhan scrunched his lips as he thought for a while. Lay looked a little hopeful, maybe they’d let him see her? Maybe?

 

“No not really.” Luhan shook his head and Lay faltered. Sehun on the other hand just chuckled.

 

“It’s not that bad I mean, consider this a training for when you leave. You can’t come and see her once you’re in Busan next month right? So take this as a practice session.”

 

Sehun’s words reminded Lay of the reality he had been ignoring. His mood plummeted even more and the urge to see his girlfriend doubled. There were only a few days left until he’d have to leave since school was starting next week. Spending three days without her presence were hard; he didn’t imagine how the next months would be.

 

“God, Lay looks like he’ll cry any second.” Kyungsoo chuckled as he peeked through the door and Hana frowned. Her condition was a lot better and she’d probably be fit in a day or two. Despite the guys always visiting in groups, everyone but Lay was given the permission to enter her room. And that was obviously frustrating. Although it was her order to keep him out, Hana really wanted to see him. Baekhyun, Kyungsoo and Lay were the only ones who came today but the others promised they’d come by tomorrow. They could hear Lay’s whining even in the room and Hana felt extremely bad for keeping him out like that. But it was for his own good so whether she liked it or not, she had to it up.

 

“Aww look at her pout.” Baekhyun cooed and she shot him a glare.

 

“Well it’s understandable, how about you think of it as training for staying without him for the coming months. I heard Sehun tell Lay that, I think that’s quite a reasonable way to make this less miserable for you two.” Kyungsoo suggested and Hana sighed.

 

“Why aren’t you talking?” Baekhyun nudged her, worry in his undertone.

 

“It’s not what you think,” she assured, “I just feel bad for him.”

 

“Don’t worry princess he’ll be fine.” Baekhyun flicked her forehead and she grimaced.

 

“Is this how you treat a sick person?”

 

“You were sick two days ago, now you’re just weak.”

 

“Don’t you get tired of being a wannabe smart ?” Kyungsoo settled beside Hana and asked.

 

“Don’t you get tired of breathing?”

 

“What?”

 

“Exactly.”

 

“Kai’s hanging around you too much. He’s even talking like you now.” Kyungsoo shivered and Baekhyun had a proud smile plastered on his face.

 

“I thought you and Kai had this underlying tension?” Hana recalled her first encounter with the tanned boy and wondered. Baekhyun had been rather cold.

 

“That’s was because that brat broke down our bathroom door.” Baekhyun groaned at the memory and Kyungsoo broke into obnoxious laughter.

 

“And he was in the bathroom! His- his- his towel almost fell!” Kyungsoo had a hard time speaking while laughing and Baekhyun scowled.

 

“Could you stop reminding me? AND STOP LAUGHING IT’S NOT THAT FUNNY!”

 

Lay could hear his girlfriend laughing along with his friend and Baekhyun’s shouts. He felt left out, big time. For three days he’d come, fail to get entrance, and while his friends were inside making his girlfriend feel better, he’d be outside sitting on the couch and play UNO with Sehun or Luhan, sometimes even both. He heard the door click open and saw his friends descending the stairs with smiles on their faces; Kyungsoo’s surprisingly wider than Baekhyun’s.

 “How is she?”

 

“Better than before Romeo, she’d perfectly fine in a few days.”

 

“A few days? Are you kidding me?” Lay gaped at Kyungsoo and the other shrugged. Baekhyun had his head tilted as he stared at Lay before he broke into a grin.

 

“How about you guys head out first? I have something to ask Sehun.”

 

“What?” Sehun asked emerging from the kitchen at the mention of his name.

 

“I’ll tell you in a while. Later guys.”

 

~

A/N:

you sm entertainment.