Do You Like Her?

Baby Don't Cry

Hana walked into the unusually quiet library. Yes, a quiet library from Monday to Friday (with an exception of Tuesday, club meetings) is unusual when you’re used to obnoxious laughter, audaciously loud chatter and even occasional wails of pain, being the first sounds to cross your ears as you walk through the door. Slightly confused but not entirely clueless Hana made her way around the empty tables and although she could not see the familiar figures, she was pinning on the thought that maybe they all fell off their chairs while napping like Baekhyun did when her and Lay volunteered to get them ice creams once and Kyungsoo deemed his friend’s position ‘too peaceful’ to wake him up and that he didn’t want to ‘ruin his dream’.

However, the chairs, as well as the floor, had no sleeping figures. She dumped her bag her neighboring seat and pulled out her phone with no new messages.

‘Hana: is today’s session canceled? Why aren’t you guys here yet?’

She pressed send and waited.

A minute.

Two minutes.

Fifteen.

‘Hana: hello? Guys?’

Nothing.

She sighed as she let go of her phone, not bothering that it hit the table surface with a ‘thak’, and looked out the window with a frustrated scowl. The library was not only silent but also deserted, if she was to exclude the librarian who looked strangely content to her today. Probably because the regular noise polluters were absent today. Hana could hear the grand clock that hung amidst all the frames behind the librarian’s desk. She drummed her fingers on the dark brown table as she scanned the limited area exposed by the glass for any signs of three certain boys.

She saw students pass by with disinterest. The only ones she was interested to find did not only possibly stood her up, but also refused to answer her texts. Even the personal messages she sent to Lay went unanswered which only added to her annoyance. The stinging silence and the mere feeling of being alone made Hana’s stomach churn. The stoic girl who had surrounded herself with nothing BUT silence now dreaded even a few minutes of it. The loner who avoided any form of social approach from anyone outside her household now found being left alone suffocating.

The epiphany made Hana feel a rush of emotions. She was happy about the change. To her it indicated that she was setting things right. She was finally making friends which meant she was living her life just like a normal teenager. But there was this little voice in her head, a nagging voice, telling her that she had become too dependent on the three. That she had made herself too use to them. the thought scared her. what if something ever happened to them? would she end up how she did after her parents died? What if the reason they weren’t replying right now was because something unfortunate happened?

From there Hana’s thoughts escalated and she scared herself more than necessary. Bad thoughts constantly attacked her mind and although she told herself to shake off the images and keep calm, the sight of the white Hyundai hitting a truck flashed past her. Hana took deep breaths and counted ‘til 50, a technique her new psychiatrist had taught her. She argued with herself, producing logical reasons as to why they could be late. The thought that maybe they stood her up didn’t even bother her at the moment.

Hana jumped in her seat when a black and white object suddenly hit the window. Looking out the window again she saw herself staring back at Yuri. She hadn’t seen her since that one time a few months back. They stared, and suddenly Hana’s thoughts became occupied entirely with Yuri. The years they spent together, their unfinished plans, their fight, all flooded her mind. Yuri looked a bit more prepared for the encounter as she was the first to recover. The girl scoffed and slightly shook her head, something Hana remembered her doing to show disappointment, picked up the soccer ball from near the window and walked back.

Hana could see the back of her retreating figure and her mind went blank. She saw, heard and felt nothing except the girl, and the side of Hana that had succumbed to the positive changes crept through cracks in her walls. Albeit the trance she was under, a glare receiving announcement brought Hana back.

“I’ AM SO FRIGGIN SORRY!”

The sigh from the librarian didn’t go unnoticed but they ignored it anyway and scampered towards her seat while spewing out words incoherent to her ears as they all spoke too fast and at once.  Once calm they began to speak, each explaining their reason and Hana’s eyes almost left their sockets when Baekhyun and Kyungsoo were finished with theirs.

“I’m sorry bro.”

“I don’t want you speaking to me understand Do Kyungsoo?”

“You think I planned on throwing it out the window?”

“Sure seems like it.”

“I am the one who is the victim here. It hit MY head remember?”

“Oh boo-hoo nothing happened to your dimpled face. The worst it did was denting your image in front of that new kid, whereas my damn phone has stopped working now!”

“I’ll fix it! I swear!”


“Lay, tell Pororo I’m not going to acknowledge his existence.”

Lay looked towards his friends, Baekhyun, who had his hands in his pockets and looking towards the left, away from Kyungsoo, who looked sincerely apologetic and kept trying to get his friend’s attention, before looking towards Hana, who was scanning his face and head for any injuries. Her big curious eyes looked extremely adorable to him and it took him a lot of self control to fight back the urge to pinch her cheeks. An urge he noticed himself having a lot since the past few days. He brushed off the thought, placed her bag on the floor and took his usual seat next to her.

“I’m extremely sorry. I thought I told you last night that I’d have to tour this new kid around school. Damn it I guess I didn’t.” The look he gave her expressed more than his words did and Hana smiled because she wasn’t angry, just worried. He flashed his own smile upon seeing hers and a chuckle soon followed before he straightened in his seat.

 “And Mr. Hwang confiscated my phone! He took it as a confirmation that I’d stay true to my word! Can you believe that guy?” Lay shook his head at the memory before nodding towards the two sitting on their opposite.

“And these two. God, I feel so embarrassed, I was with the kid alright, and I was showing him the outside of the school building and suddenly, a flying object comes right at my head with full force and I fall then and there with that new kid laughing.”

“Who knows maybe now you’ll grow a horn where you got hit and fulfill your dream of becoming a unicorn.”

“Ok Baekhyun enough with the unicorn jokes, we were in the fifth grade.”

“Still doesn’t change the fact that you drew yourself as ‘Unicorn Man’ as the super hero you wanted to be.”

“And it still doesn’t change the fact that it was you Kyungsoo who threw Baekhyun’s phone down from the third floor.”

That alone was enough to start another round of apologies from Kyungsoo’s side and feigned ignorance from Baekhyun’s part. Lay chuckled at the scene he had created and Hana bumped their shoulders to give him a scolding look. The look was of no use since she was smiling herself, which only elicited snickers from Lay.

“Yo, Han you single?”

Giggles stopped.

Smiles dropped.

And heads whipped towards Baekhyun. Hana coked an eyebrow and Baekhyun deemed it important to elaborate.

“Do you have a boyfriend? ‘cuz im curious. Never saw you with anyone but then again you maybe in a relationship and we just don’t know it yet. So,” Baekhyun said as he leaned in, wriggling his eyebrows “have a someone special?”

The question was absurd to Hana but it had an effect on Lay that he couldn’t describe. That question never crossed his mind, and now that it did and was already brought up in a manner only Byun Baekhyun was capable of, he grew anxious. His throat suddenly went dry and he was stuck in a dilemma where he wanted an answer out but at the same time was afraid of what she may reply with.

Hana shook her head, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world and Lay released a breath he didn’t know he was holding. But Baekhyun was not satisfied, and although his next questions were of practically no value, they were still questions, things he was curious to ask her.

“Really? C’mon how is it that someone as pretty as you still isn’t taken?” Baekhyun asked and Hana just shrugged after giving him a ‘ you-cannot-be-serious’ look.

“What about friends? Any guys? Other than us, of course.” Hana shook her head again.

“Any female friends then?” this made Hana stop. She felt slightly uncomfortable, not with the question, but with the memories that it brought. Her pause didn’t go unnoticed and Baekhyun sat up a little so he could take a better look. She shook her head slowly and looked out the window. Yuri was still there, laughing along with one of her friends while kicking the ball and Hana suddenly felt a pang.

Baekhyun followed her line of sight. He recognized Yuri. He had seen her around school but what made her stand out to him right now was that he had seen Hana staring at her before. His eyes suddenly widened and he looked back at Hana who was still looking longingly at the girl. His jaw slightly hung open and he looked towards and Kyungsoo and Lay with panic stricken eyes. Kyungsoo waited expectantly and Lay looked as confused as ever. Baekhyun felt sorry, for both Hana and Lay.

“Hana do you know her?” the question earned him a reluctant nod and he gulped.

“Do you by any chance….like her…?”

Lay choked on air while Kyungsoo was paralyzed on his seat. Hana took a while but when the question registered, she gave him a look that displayed her confusion.

“You know….Like like her….if you get what I mean…..’cuz if you do we totally understand I mean…your choice and all….” Baekhyun kept trailing off. His cheeks by now were pink and he was looking away whereas Lay and Kyungsoo had still not recovered. The explosion of laughter was new and unexpected.

The boys looked to find Hana laughing like there was no tomorrow while frantically shaking her head. She even waved her hands to emphasize that she had no feelings towards the other girl. The whole idea was hilarious to her as it brought back similar memories of people asking them the same question when they were friends and the reactions they’d receive when they’d say ‘yes’ just for fun.

“Oh Thank God I was so scared!”

“Baekhyun you idiot!” Kyungsoo exclaimed as he hit the back of his friend’s head. Lay soon joined in on Hana’s undying laughter and he realized that although she started smiling, this was the first time she laughed, and it was as beautiful as he had imagined.

~

i dont know what i wrote....im sorry for slow updates.

i have exams in a while and i am freaking out. next update will be....i'll try soon. 

exams DX why my life OTL