Now You Know

Baby Don't Cry

“What’s going on?”

Hana couldn’t reply. She was frozen. Shock, anxiety, and fear coursed through her entire system. It took her a while to notice that Baekhyun wasn’t actually looking at her, but beyond her, and when she tilted her body she saw the figure of her aunt. Junmi was as taken aback as Hana, however, being the adult here, she choose not to let her surprise show. Personally, Junmi thought it was high time that at least one of her new friends knew of her troubles and condition, but whenever the topic was brought up, Hana would either say she’s not ready or dismiss it entirely.

Baekhyun’s sudden appearance for Junmi was just a surprise, nothing more nothing less. But for Hana, it was the worst thing that happened to her. She still needed time, time to recover, time to open up, time to break through, and although they had not shown the reaction she expected after they found out about her attempted suicides, she was still afraid of being judged and pitied; by Baekhyun, by Kyungsoo and by Lay, especially by Lay. Hana didn’t know when his opinion began to matter to her but it did, and the thought that the sweet dimpled boy may treat her differently, and that his acts of friendship may turn into acts of compassion.

No. Hana didn’t want pity. But Baekhyun, standing in front of her with determined eyes, was bound to demand answers, answers she wasn’t ready to provide him with. Her big, pleading eyes begged her aunt for help. Junmi didn’t utter a word, and while she switched views between her niece and her student, she had her own personal internal battle of rights and wrongs. Knowing what her niece wanted, Junmi settled for a decision, and when Baekhyun repeated his previous statement with a little more authoritative tone (directed towards Hana of course), she deemed it suitable to step in.

“Good Afternoon Baekhyun, what brings you here?” Junmi asked with a casual smile but it didn’t help calm Baekhyun. He, however, did not ignore her question, as she was still older than him and to top it off, was his principal. Besides, Baekhyun was a boy with manners, and respecting those older than him was something that had been hardwired into his brain.

“I came by with Lay to drop off some food for his father.” He said as he pointed somewhere at the back with his thumb. Hana’s eyes grew wider. It was one thing for Baekhyun to see her here but she didn’t want Lay to see her too. She knew the questions that would follow and only hoped her aunt would comply with her wishes but she didn’t want Lay to find out the bit of information that would inevitably be revealed. Not now, and definitely not like this.

So before she even knew it and before Baekhyun could finish his second sentence, Hana dragged him by the arm, through the glass doors that marked the entrance of the hospital, all the way to the back side of the building with a slightly baffled Junmi following closely behind. This was one of those actions which you perform without any solid reason. You just do them. Hana didn’t know why she was so scared to find out that Lay was in the same premises as her, in fact, he should have been at Baekhyun’s house by now. Baekhyun himself should be at his house right now! But he wasn’t. he was right in front of her with an unusually serious expression etched across his face, standing in the deserted area behind the bustling hospital building where Hana had dragged him to.

She didn’t even need to hear him say it; she could already see the first question coming. But before Baekhyun could even begin to form words, his phone rang, with Lay’s name blinking in bold white font. He glanced towards Hana for a brief moment, she was staring at his phone screen with panic stricken eyes. He had a feeling that whatever it was that she was hiding, she didn’t want them to find out, not yet at least. But Baekhyun needed answers; the size of the report said was enough to get him to freak out. He considered it maybe just a regular check up but then again, if that was the case she should have told them. And even if she didn’t, her reaction when she saw him, and also the way she behaved after hearing about Lay’s presence was enough to tip him off. Something was wrong, and Baekhyun was going to find out. He was curious about Hana, they all were. They wanted to know what made her the girl she was and in order to do that they had to wait for her to open up. But this opportunity had been provided to Baekhyun and he knew that although it may not be the nicest thing to do, it was his only chance at getting answers to his unasked questions. However, that didn’t mean that he would make it harder for her by giving her additional audience. Which is why, when Baekhyun swiped the green button of his slightly cracked phone screen, he used his most cheery voice and the best excuse he could come up with on his best friend.

The second his thumb swiped the green symbol, Hana turned to her aunt. She took both her hands and squeezed them with pleading eyes, beseeching her to save her from this mess.

“Hana we’re going to have to tell them sooner or later.” Junmi said in a low voice but Hana vehemently shook her head. Her eyes made Junmi surrender; she yielded to her niece’s wish. By the time Hana turned around, Baekhyun was almost done with his call and she let out a relieved sigh when she heard the last bit of his conversation.

“I didn’t remember! Look! I’ll pick up Hana on my way back alright. Anything you want? Marshmallows? Chocolates? No? Alright…see ya.”

Baekhyun ended the call, his expression serious once again as he looked back at Hana.

“I told him I went to the convenience store.” Hana nodded, not being able to meet his penetrating gaze. Instead she looked towards her aunt, who after meeting her eye, walked towards Baekhyun.

“Hana why are you at the hospital?”

“……..”

“Why did you drag me out here?”

“…….”

“What’s going on? Could you please tell me? I’m getting worried. Why are you here? Why did you freak out when I told you about Lay? Are you alright? Is something wrong? Tell me!” Baekhyun held onto her shoulders and made her look at him. Once she did all he could see was fear and a hint of hopelessness in her eyes. He saw another hand on his arm, Junmi gave him a small smile and Baekhyun shifted his attention, dropping his hands from Hana’s shoulders in the process.

“It’s nothing Baekhyun. It’s just a regular check up. Nothing’s wrong I assure you.” Junmi said with a warm smile but Baekhyun was far from convinced. He looked towards the file again which Junmi slowly hid from his view.

“Her file is too thick for a regular check up.” Baekhyun deadpanned. Junmi glanced towards Hana, who looked back at her with same wide eyes. Baekhyun wasn’t going to let this go, and Hana hoped for her aunt to try just a little to get him off topic. Junmi tried once again, but before she could even finish her excuse Baekhyun had already beat her to it.

“I apologies for interrupting and for my rude behavior but I’m not stupid.” He said as he looked towards Hana, “What’s going on Hana? And I expect the truth.”

Hana’s eyes glistened so she turned away. She wasn’t going to cry in front of him and especially not over this. Junmi heaved a sigh, “Hana I think we should just tell him.” Baekhyun’s ears perked up and Hana just stared baffled at her aunt who gave up without a fight.

“Come on, he isn’t stupid. And frankly dear the way your reacting is bound to make him feel suspicious.”

Well, that was a legitimate point. But Hana didn’t have control over her reactions, she just wanted them to be far from the truth.

“Tell me what?” Baekhyun asked as he looked warily between Hana and Junmi. A round of silence followed as they stood still. Nothing but the rustling of the leaves and the occasional murmurs could be heard.

“Baekhyun there’s something you should know about Hana.”

-

The door was knocked numerous times before it opened. A guy, tall, with tanned skin opened greeted them. He was wearing a big smile that showed off his perfect pearly whites. His smile grew wider at the sight of Baekhyun but slightly faltered once he saw Hana.

“Who’s this?” the tanned boy asked as he pointed towards Hana.

“Screw that first tell me what you’re doing here.” Baekhyun’s reaction was quite the opposite of the boy ahead of him. Partly because of the massive information he had just received and partly because of the fact that he did not really fancy the idea of this boy being inside his house the boy on the other hand, just smirked in response and let out a chuckle.

“Wow, someone’s pissed. Don’t get your undies in a twist I came along with Kyungsoo. It was boring in the house anyways. Aren’t you happy to see me?”

“Quite frankly, no.”                          

“Aww c’mon! I said I was sorry!”

“Do not even….you and your cousin I swear to God….” Baekhyun grumbled as he led Hana inside. The boy stepped aside to make way for them but once through the door, he held onto Hana’s wrist. Hana whipped her head towards the cause of obstruction and found the boy looking intently at her with narrowed eyes. Hana too, stared at him the same way, difference being that her stare was intimidating while his was just plain curious. Something in his head snapped and his eyes grew big with realization.

“You’re Hana right?! The girl on the winter project with Kyungsoo?” Hana didn’t know how he knew about her but given that he was in Baekhyun’s house and the owner didn’t seem to bother much, she figured he’d be safe to be around. She nodded once and the boy smiled wide, his eye shining bright.

“So nice to finally meet you! I’m Kai! Well my name is actually Jongin but people call me Kai.” He said with a hint of flare and Hana found it a little amusing.

“Yeah yeah, whatever.” She heard Baekhyun grumble before he snatched her hand away from his grip. Jongin let out a small whistle before having numerous plastic bags Baekhyun had been holding shoved into his hands and went somewhere deeper inside the house.  Baekhyun waited for Hana as she looked around. Now that he knew, everything made sense to him. In his eyes she was just a little girl who wanted to brave up towards the world but didn’t have the motivation for it. But he also knew that compassion and pity was something she wouldn’t want from anyone. Now that he knew, he was determined that it would not affect the way he treated her.

He noticed how Hana had been avoiding eye contact with him the entire time while her aunt explained. He also noticed the awkward aura around them which was mostly created because of Hana and he wanted nothing more to end it. Which is why, when she accidentally made eye contact with him, he gave her a smile; the same, goofy, bright smile that showed that he had no worries in the world, the smile that inspired Hana to copy the action. So Hana smiled back, not with the same enthusiasm but she did, and Baekhyun slowly walked towards her and gave her a well needed hug.

“You’re strong. Alright? You can do this.” He said as he hugged her. He felt her breathing get heavier, signs of possible oncoming sobs, so he pulled back a little to look at her face. Her eyes glistened the second time that day, and Baekhyun cupped her left cheek before pinching it.

“Don’t worry Han, it’s gonna be a-ok. And I promise I won’t tell anyone. But only on one condition.”

Hana looked up at him with big questioning eyes. Baekhyun was smiling, and the mischievous glint in his orbs made Hana feel nauseous for some reason.

“Smile for me first.” And so she did. She smiled not only because he asked her to, but because she wanted to. Telling someone made her feel a lot lighter. Although the ordeal was narrated by her aunt, Hana felt like a weight had been slightly lifted from her shoulders giving her space to breathe. The idea was scary to her, and even after Baekhyun’s response, she feels scared. However, Baekhyun knew that a time would come when she would tell Lay and Kyungsoo everything on her own, and until that day came, he’d stand by her, as a friend, as a brother, as a protector. And so with that thought he hugged her again to make her feel safe, which she automatically did. The only thing that interrupted their moment was the awkward cough that came from behind Baekhyun.

There stood Lay, with an indescribable expression which looked anything but pleasant with an amused Kyungsoo standing right behind him. Jongin at the back was too busy dying due to his inaudible fit of laughter to notice the sudden change in the air. Hana pulled back almost immediately but Baekhyun resisted a little and slung his right arm over her left shoulder with an innocent smile.

“So guys, everybody here?” Baekhyun asked innocently.

Lay’s eyes twitched a little at their proximity but said nothing. His eyes bore into Baekhyun’s hand on her shoulder and the fact that she didn’t protest made him feel a burn he hadn’t felt before. Kyungsoo, a bit too amused by the situation and probably the only one other than Jongin to understand the situation stepped in between the three and pulled Hana away from Baekhyun and led her to the living room while exchanging greetings. Baekhyun held a teasing smile as he brushed past a frozen Lay. He didn’t like what he saw. Why, he doesn’t know. Not yet at least.

-  

longer than usual because.......i dont really know why....

enjoy~