Misinformation

Baby Don't Cry

Hana was lying on her bed as she stared at her phone. It had been buzzing in her pocket since the time she received Jaekyung’s message. She had over twenty messages, out of which the last five were from the group. The guys were excited to meet as an entire unit after so long. The other fifteen messages were solely from Jaekyung. He started off with regular questions, asking about her day or how it was. He then began asking why she wasn’t replying, or what was taking her so long, if she hadn’t forgiven him after all. Hana huffed as she read them all. So to fifteen messages, she replied with a single one.

Hana: my friends were over. I was spending time with them.

She was about to keep her phone down but it rang again.

Jaekhyung: ur friends! Nice :D I’ve met them. Lay’s really nice ;)

Hana’s shot up into a sitting position. He had met Lay and Hana didn’t know that. Lay hadn’t mentioned it, neither had any of the other boys.

Hana: you’ve met Lay? When?

Jaekyung: once at the arcade.

How was your day?

Hana: what did you say to him?

Jaekyung: nu uh. Not gonna tell :P

 

Frustration built up inside Hana. She knew that if Jaekyung wasn’t going to say anything, then no matter how hard she’d try, he wouldn’t. She got another message.

Jaekyung: how was your day hannie!

Hana scrunched her nose.

Hana: it was good.

I’m tired.

I’m going to sleep.

Jaekyung: not going to ask about mine? :(

Okay…

So glad we’re friends again

See you in school!

Bbyy!!

Hana sighed and locked her phone before flipping over and digging her head in the pillow. Her head hurt. Was she even doing the right thing?

“I should tell this to someone…Luhan? No. He’d go nuts. Sehun…bad idea. Baekhyun, hell no. Kyungsoo…maybe…”

Her phone buzzed again and she groaned.

Lay: my revenge backfired ._.

Hana instantly smiled.

Hana: lol sure did.

Lay: but…I WAS SUPPOSED TO TICKLE YOU UNTIL YOUR FACE TURNED RED

Hana: youre saying it hadn’t? ._.

Lay: no -.-

Hana: yours turned red in seconds tho XD

Lay: shut up

Hana: I didn’t even say anything :)

Lay: e.e

Hana: :)

Lay: @_@

Hana: :))))

Lay: *_*

Hana: ok stop

Lay: lol

I see you in school tomorrow! :D

Hana: after so long T_T

Lay: I missed you T^T

Hana: much passion^

Lay: Oh my God you sound like Baekhyun

WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO YOU DX

Hana: are you jealous u.u

Lay: yea sure ._.

Hana: do you have soccer practice at school since youre not at camp?

Lay: Probably. I skipped the first day of school lol

Such a dedicated surprise giving boyfriend I am

Hana: :3

Lay: and then there’s you who banged the door on my face ._.

Hana: I was shocked

Ok

Sue me ._.

Lay: you banged it twice

Normally girls would squeal and shower the other with hugs and kisses

Hana: yea well im not normal

Lay: exactly why I love you

Hana?

You’re blushing aren’t you?

Hana: shut up and go to sleep

Lay: I WAS RIGHT

Hana: NIGHT

Lay: I was kidding!

Hana: bye Lay ^_^

Lay: Hanaaaa

Hana: Laaaaay

Lay: I missed you :’)

Hana: youre crazy

I missed you too

We should really sleep now

Lay: yeah…

See you tomorrow :D

Hana: see ya :D

 

Baekhyun banged his head in Hana’s back the moment she arrived with Lay and Sehun. Sehun and Lay grabbed Baekhyun by the arms and pulled him away. Baekhyun, however, refused to reveal his face and hid himself behind a very surprised Hana again.

“Baek, what’s wrong with you?” Lay asked as Hana stared at his fluffy brown head curiously. Baekhyun furiously shook his head. Hana glanced at Lay, who was just as dumbfounded as her and then at Sehun who was busily scrolling through his phone.

“Baekhyun,” Hana called, “is everything alright?”

She tried to move but the boy didn’t let her, only latching on to her bag harder.

“Baekhyun?” Lay called but the only thing that was heard were his friend’s muffled protests. Baekhyun wouldn’t move, which meant Hana couldn’t move, and Lay couldn’t really do much because his friend was being unreasonable. Lay looked up and found Kai, Kyungsoo, and Chanyeol laughing. He raised a brow when he saw Kai holding his phone, probably making a video.

“Yo Lay?” Sehun called and the said boy looked.

“Yeah?”

“Don’t you think that Crayon Pop is like, the best girl group of the entire time?”

Lay raised his brow. Sehun on the other hand, had a devious smile on his face.

“Isn’t it?”

 “Isn’t what?”

“Crayon Pop the best girl group?”

Hana felt Baekhyun’s head move.

“Uh…yea?” Lay replied, a little unsure.

“Wasn’t Bar Bar Bar SO much better than I Got  A Boy? I mean, really. Girls’ Generation should learn something from Crayon Pop. CP are like…legends!”

“Okay?”

“CP are literally THE BEST! Who even likes GG anymore, they’re SO last year. I don’t even understand why they were popular to begin with. Genie was such a bad song and don’t even get me started on how annoying Gee was-“

Someone latched onto Sehun’s collar.

“DO YOU EVEN KNOW A THING ABOUT GIRLS’ GENERATION’S POPULARITY FOR YOU TO BE SAYING THAT?! GG ARE THE QUEENS AND THEY SLAY! THEIR CHOREOGRAPHIES ARE-“

“Baekhyun?” Lay and Hana said at the same time. The boy’s eyes widened as he realized what he’s just done. He’s just compromised himself. Sehun was staring at his head with his mouth wide open.

“What happened to your face?!”

Baekhyun rammed his face into Sehun’s chest. Lay and Hana stood with their mouths agape, why did Baekhyun look like that? Lay broke out laughing. Hana simply stared, confused as to why her friend looked like a tomato. Walking over, Hana tapped his back.

“Baek, what happened?”

Hana glanced at Chanyeol who now stood next to her with Kyungsoo and Kai in tow. Unlike the other two, Chanyeol wasn’t laughing anymore but an amused smile still lingered on his face.

“Why are his cheeks so red?” Hana titled her head.

“Baekhyun, I love you and everything, but this is getting kind of awkward,” expressed Sehun as he tried to pull himself away. Baekhyun only latched on tighter, locking his hands behind Sehun’s back.

“GUYS?!” Sehun called but the others only laughed harder.

“This is gold,” mumbled Kai as he continued filming. Hana glanced at Lay, but his doubled over self showed that he’d be of no useful help in pulling their friend away from her cousin. Hana then looked at Chanyeol, though he was laughing, she could see his concern for his cousin.

“Help me?” Hana mouthed and Chanyeol nodded.

“Baekhyun, let go of Sehun please?” she asked. Baekhyun shook his head.

“Please?”

Another shake. Hana sighed and signaled Chanyeol, an act to which he nodded.

Chanyeol held out three fingers.

3…

2…

1…

“PULL!”

“WHAT?!” Baekhyun screamed as he felt two pairs of arms grab him from each side. His struggles and protests were muffled by Sehun’s chest but they didn’t give up. Sehun pushed Baekhyun’s shoulders and finally, Kyungsoo and Lay pulled him away by the waist.

Sehun let out a loud “HA!” once he was freed from Baekhyun’s clutches. The latter only protested in Lay’s and Kyungsoo’s hold. He didn’t stop when Chanyeol asked him to calm down, he didn’t stop when Kai promised he wouldn’t laugh, he stopped when Hana wacked his head. In his momentary confusion, Hana took the opportunity to grab his face and hold him in place.

“HOLD.STILL.”

There was something in Hana’s tone that compelled Baekhyun to follow orders. So he stood still, and dejected, with deflated shoulders and a pouty face. Hana ran her fingers over the red patch on his face. His cheeks were extremely red and the skin felt dry and flaky.

“What the hell happened?”

“Suho hyung’s secret plan succeeded,” sulked Baekhyun. Hana raised her brows at Kyungsoo in question, the boy shrugged.

“Suho hyung sprayed some sort of a bug repellant and Baekhyun accidentally ended up having an allergic reaction to it,” explained Chanyeol.

“Oh,” Lay furrowed his brows,” that’s rather unfortunate.”

“Accidental, my . HE DID THIS BECAUSE MOM SAID I MAKE BETTER PASTA THAN HE DOES!”

Hana let go of his face, surprised by his outburst. Kai rolled his eyes.

“Puh-lease, Kyungsoo makes better pasta than either of you-“

“Could you not brag about your cousin every time you see an opportunity?” complained Baekhyun.

Kyungsoo scoffed, “Jealous?”

Baekhyun narrowed his eyes, “Even the dirt under my nails isn’t jeal-“

“That’s an extremely unhygienic example,” Kai added.

“Can we please focus on the real issue here?” Chanyeol intervened, “Baekhyun-“

“-is stupid to think that Suho hyung did this on purpose,” finished Kyungsoo. Baekhyun, spiked with disbelief argued about how oblivious everyone was to his older brother’s evil schemes. Hana backed up until she could feel herself bump into Lay. Sehun slowly sneaked away from the troop and stood next to the two.

“Why can’t they ever hold a normal conversation?”

“Excuse you Sehun, you’d be in there too if the topic was different.”

“As if-“

“Hana’s right, actually,” Lay interrupted. The moment he saw Sehun’s eyes turn to slits, he gave him an innocent smile with a deliberate tilt of the head that only made Sehun groan and look away.

Hana turned to Lay, “What does Suho-sshi do that he’s always dealing with bugs?”

“He’s an entomologist.”

“No idea what that is.”

“Entomologists study bugs. His job requires him to study different bugs and note down if any of their components could be used for medicinal use.”

Hana stared, half in awe, quarter in disbelief and quarter in disgust because bugs were hideous.

“That’s…”

“Disgusting,” finished Sehun. Lay laughed at his expression. Sehun’s frown was too deep and all of his face seemed to be melting.

“Sort of, but if you think about it a bit, it’s pretty interesting.”

“If you say so…”

“Have to give him credit for working with those things,” Hana nodded. She focused back on Baekhyun, whom she noticed, was wincing with almost every word.

“Lay, could you get him to shut up? His skin’s dry and all the talking is making it stretch.”

“It’ll bleed if he keeps that up,” Lay added.

“So he’s basically hurting but won’t sock it?” Sehun asked. Hana and Lay nodded.

Sehun shook his head, “What an idiot.”

“YO! BAEKHYUN!”

“What?!” Baekhyun spun to his friend’s voice. The hand that clamped over his mouth caught him by surprise. Baekhyun had long fingers, but so did Lay, so the boy had to make sure that he didn’t apply too much pressure on his friend’s skin.

“That’s an effective way to shut someone up,” Sehun mumbled and Hana chuckled. She rummaged her bag for a mask, or any piece of cloth that could cover his face but Hana couldn’t find anything.

“Anybody has a mask?” she asked and all heads shook. Baekhyun hadn’t even tried to move under Lay’s hold, probably because Kyungsoo and Chanyeol were glaring at him to stay put and Kai was making an effort not to take any memorabilia pictures.

“I DO!”

They spun to find Jongdae leaning against the school wall. His forehead glistened and he looked puffed. In his hand was black cotton mask. Baekhyun’s eyes widened eagerly as he made grabbing gestures toward his friend.

“Here,” Jongdae handed the mask to Baekhyun who put it on the second Lay let go.

“Why are you late?” Sehun asked glancing at his watch, “You always come with Kai and Soo.”

“Kai text told me to drop by Baekhyun’s and grab his mask. I had to make a detour.”

“You ran all the way back?” Kyungsoo asked as Baekhyun patted the fabrics lightly.

“I missed my bus.”

“I owe you one for this,” Baekhyun patted his shoulder,” I thought I’d be the spectacle of mirth today.”

“Aren’t you taking your English class a bit too seriously?”

“No, Kai. I’ am not.”

“No one would laugh at you,” Kyungsoo assured. Baekhyun scoffed.

“Says the person who’s been laughing his off.”

“That’s us,” Kai added, “Others aren’t allowed to do that.”

Baekhyun glanced at Hana and Lay who nodded. Sehun smiled, “Yeah, we got you.”

“Kyungsoo can glare the heck out of whoever looks at you funny,” Chanyeol nodded. Kyungsoo raised a brow, “Why the hell am I used for unfriendly examples?”

“You just are,” Jongdae patted his back. Given that Baekhyun had now covered his face and the crew was complete, they entered the school. Splitting for classes, they promised to get together for lunch. Lay ruffled Hana’s hair before leaving and it took a lot of effort for her not to let her smile pass the boundary of creepy.

“How can you still go all giggly? He does that practically every hour,” asked Sehun as the duo walked to class.

Hana shrugged, “I don’t know. I just do. Maybe because it’s been a while…”

“Hmm…maybe.”

Hana continuously smiled as she fixed her hair and Sehun shook his head at his now sister’s dreamy expression. Hana’s smile suddenly fell and Sehun wondered why.

“Let’s hurry or we’ll be late.”

Hana pushed Sehun before he could catch a glimpse of the figure standing next to the lockers, before he could see who it was, before he could ask Hana why that person was waving at her with a familiar smile. Once inside, Hana took out her phone and as expected, she had a message.

Jaekyung: you ignored me :(

I thought we were friends now…

Hana bit her lip. She hadn’t told Sehun yet. She would, she definitely would, but she needed to find the right time for doing it.

Hana: Sehun doesn’t know

He might get the wrong idea

Jaekyung: what idea?

It’s not like we’re dating or anything

Hana: Just stay away until I tell him

Jaekyung: ok :(

Btw

What if we were dating?

Do you think he’d agree?

 

 Hana’s eyes widened at the text. She felt uncomfortable on so many levels and for a second she even thought about ditching the entire scenario all together. But then she saw Jaekyung walk into class and walk past their tables without even a single glance in their direction in his usual cold, disoriented manner and Hana reconsidered. She was probably over thinking this whole situation.

Hana: no he wouldn’t

Hana bit her lip, the discomfort won’t go away. Plus, the frankness he was showing with her so soon after their reconciliation was unsettling. Therefore, Hana decided that she needed to be a bit more stern and straight forward with him in their messages. A disclaimer that such messages were not accepted.

Hana: I wouldn’t date you in the first place

I rejected you back then

And I’d reject you now if you asked me

 

Yeap, that sounds about right.

 

Jaekyung: ouch Hana

You didn’t have to be so straightforward

Anyway

You haven’t told Sehun so I’ll wait

 

Hana: it’s necessary  

And yea, please wait a while longer

Jaekyung: I will

For you :)

 

Ok, this guy needs to stop. Avoiding Sehun’s elbow as he took out his books, Hana turned to glare at Jaekyung. However, he didn’t even look up. The bored, nonchalant expression on his face confused Hana. He didn’t even look like he was texting, he seemed to be zoning out. With a slight shake of her head, Hana turned back to Sehun who was now following her gaze.

“Why are you staring at Jaekyung?”

It took a lot of effort for Hana to not flinch at his question. Sehun was still staring at him, his eye slit and serious. Hana tried to smile.

“Shouldn’t I be the one asking you that?”

Sehun turned to her. She could see how he wasn’t the least amused.

“I wasn’t staring at him.”

Sehun raised a brow, “You weren’t?”

“He’s stopped with his antics, I was just curious.”

“And you thought looking at him would provide a solution?”

“Sehun.”

“Sorry,” he sighed, “I just- I really don’t like him.”

Hana stared at her hands, “I know.”

-

“You’re back.”

The ball rammed into Lay’s head. His hands flew to his temples and Yuri began her profuse apologies. Waving her away he continued to massage the area where the ball had hit his head. He was in the middle of practice. Coach had left for half an hour and told them to practice on their own. Lay was having a one on one with their captain when Yuri unceremoniously called him out.

“When did you get back?”

After almost a year of knowing Hana and knowing how she was somewhat afraid of the girl in front of him, Lay had developed a sort of repulsion toward Yuri. He didn’t dislike her, he barely knew her to do that, but she wasn’t on his list of people he’s fond of either. He had honestly hoped that Yuri would leave after a simple greeting.  His captain was being kind when he excused himself so Lay could talk to his ‘friend’. Sometimes, Lay wished their captain wasn’t so kind. Kind and oblivious to ignore the warning glares he was sending his captain’s way.

“We came back over the weekend.” You can’t really ignore someone, especially a girl, blatantly in front of a crowd. He received looks from a few of his team mates and tried his best to ignore. He may not be a fan of hers, but he wasn’t manner less. However, despite his manners and personality, Yuri’s presence really bothered him.

“That’s nice. Met Hana yet?”

“We came to school together.”

“I see, so things are good between you two?”

Lay resisted the urge to raise his brow at her. Why was she asking that? It could be her tone, or the interest she was showing in their relationship that gave him an odd feeling.

“Yeah, we’re perfectly well.”

Yuri tilted her head, “You don’t like me much, do you?”

Lay froze. He was about to deny but then he saw the way she was looking at him. Unwavering confidence in her observation oozed from her stance.

“I’m sorry; I tried not to be obvious about it.”

To his surprise, she waved him off with a chuckle,” It’s okay. It’s a given. I’m pretty sure Hana told you stuff while you were on your trip.”

It was Lay’s turn to tilt his head, “What stuff?”

A flash of surprise passed Yuri but she didn’t let it show. Had Hana not told him about the bullying incident? Straightening, Yuri shook her head.

“Never mind,” she ran her hand through her hair, “I had to tell you something.”

He didn’t want to hear whatever she had to say, “I have to get to prac-“

“It’s important. There are certain things you should know that happened when you weren’t around.”

Lay scrunched his brows, “What things?”

“I know I’m the last person on earth you’d believe but,” she sighed,” Hana isn’t completely sincere with you.”

Yuri tried reading Lay’s expressions but they remained unchanged. He didn’t as so much as flinch when the words escaped . Wasn’t he shocked or even surprised? After seconds of silence in which Lay stared the ground and Yuri stared at him, he spoke.

“You’re right. You ARE the last person I’d believe.”

Yuri shook her head, “I have no authority to tell you this or proof to make you believe what I’m saying but trust me, it’s the truth.”

The boy remained stoic, not moving an inch but his eyes turned hard, “is it, now?”

“You don’t believe me.”

“Great to know you aren’t as stupid as you sound.”

“You know I used to be best friends with Hana right? I know she told you that much. But have you ever wondered what happened that destroyed our friendship? Bet she hasn’t told you that, has she?”

Lay could feel blood rush aggressively through his system. He hated to admit it, but Yuri was right, Hana hadn’t told him anything about that.

“Has she?” Yuri pried and Lay let out a long wavering breath.

“No.”

“Of course, she wouldn’t tell you how she stabbed me in the back.”

“What the hell-“

“You know about Jaekyung?”

“What does he have anything to do with this?” he spat. Lay wasn’t aware of his tone or the attention the duo had started getting from the people around them. But Yuri did, and after looking around once, she shook her head.

“This isn’t the right place to talk. There are too many people here. Meet me after school in this same spot. I’ll tell you everything. You must know before you leave for training again. I won’t have her deceiving you any longer.”

Confound is what Lay was. The mix of anger and confusion was overwhelming but he knew Yuri (for the second time) was right; there were too many people here to be talking about this. He saw Yuri turn and leave. As he saw her retreating figure, his thoughts went haywire. What the hell did she mean by all that? Seconds after Yuri disappeared, Lay saw Hana exiting the school building, her phone in hand as she texted someone. From the building she had left, he saw Jaekyung standing by the window, looking directly at her. The bite Lay felt at that moment was amplified when he saw his girlfriend turn toward the window and return the wave Jaekyung had sent her way. He couldn’t see the reluctance in her action; he couldn’t see the hesitance inher expression. He only saw the wave.

“You okay, bro?” Lay shrugged off Jimin’s hand and kicked the ball closest to him around. He was in no mood to talk or even look at anyone. He was too confused to function. A huge part of him said that whatever Yuri said was pure nonsense. Hana would never do that to him. But there was this tiny part that nagged him. Yuri wasn’t entirely wrong; Hana hadn’t ever mentioned what happened between them. She never even mentioned Jaekyung, if it wasn’t for that day at the arcade, Lay may have never known that Hana even knew Jaekyung.

What the hell was going on…

He kept kicking at the ball, tuned out the world as he left himself with his thoughts. He kicked the ball hard one last time, hoping to kick away his frustration as well. Suddenly, he heard a shout. The only reason he heard that was because the voice was familiar, overly familiar. Hana was crouching on the ground with the ball next to her and her hand clasped around her head. For a second, Lay stared, unable to make sense of the situation but then it struck him when Jimin ran toward the girl on the ground with water.

His eyes widened.

“Oh my GOD, I’m so sorry!”

Lay collapsed on his knees next to her and pried her hands away from her head. The area where the ball had hit was red swelling. Guilt flushed his system.

“Remind me to never be on you opposing team,” she joked but Lay didn’t laugh.

“Are you hurt?” He knew that was a stupid question, of course she was hurt, but he didn’t know what else to say. What do you say when you hit your girlfriend in the head with a soccer ball?

“No, I’m okay.”

“You’re not.”

“C’mon Lay, how bad can a hit in the head by a ball hurt?”

“A lot, actually.”

Hana chuckled. She tried to stand, and after wobbling a little in the start, she was successfully able to stand on her own. She beamed at Lay, but the boy was still frowning, his lower lip in his mouth as he stared at her with a guilt stricken expression.

“Don’t look like that,” she said.

“Like what?”

“Like that,” she pointed at his face. The frown wouldn’t go so she squished his cheeks, “There, all better.”

“Hana-“

“YOU’RE Hana?!”

Hana spun to the boy behind her. He was the boy who brought her water just now. She looked back at Lay who was running his hand over her head with an unsure expression before turning to the boy again.

“That’s me.”

“WOW! Okay, wow! I’m Jimin!”

Hana’s mouth opened with surprise and recognition, “Oh! Nice to meet you! Lay’s told me about you.”

Jimin looked pleasantly happy, “He has?”

“Oh yes!”

Lay watched as the two people in front of him stared at him with utter joy and reverence. He smiled. Jimin chattered away and Hana nodded, stealing glances at Lay and giggling at his roommate’s excitement.

“I can totally see how you two are just right for each other. You even got hit in the head by the same ball on the same spot!

“Geez, thanks Jimin,” Lay said and Hana raised her brows.

“Wait,” she turned to Lay and brushed back his hair, “you got hit too?”

“Right in the head,” he chuckled. Hana shook her head with a sigh, her fingers hovering over the red mark.

“Does it hurt?”

“Does yours?”

Hana laughed and shook her head, bringing her hand back. Their coach whistled and ordered the team to gather around. Lay sighed.

“Go,” Hana said, “I’ll watch from the bleachers.”

“Don’t you have a class?”

“Free period!” she cheered and Lay ruffled her hair.

Hana ran to the bleachers and sat in her usual the spot, the same place she had been sitting on for months now, even when Lay went for training. She’d come and sit there whenever she could and picture him running around the field. Now, watching him ACTUALLY present at the field made her happy. Lay ran to his team and after deciding on the formation they were supposed to practice, they dispersed. Jimin gave Lay a thumbs up from the bench the waiting players were sitting on. He returned the gesture and then glanced at the girl on the bleachers. All smiles and happiness. Yuri’s words still lingered at the back of his mind and looking at Hana right then made him feel conflicted. It couldn’t possibly be true…right? Shaking his head he tried to push away those thoughts. This was the time to practice, he’d figure this out later.

-

Author's note:

my laptop is ruined. literally. the hard drive crashed dx

Also,

belated Eid Mubarak

and

enjoy the chapter!