Chapter 21

A Chance Meeting

Once you get to the airport you check in your luggage, go through the safety procedure, and all that mess. You arrived at the airport an hour early, as you are supposed to. Firmly grasping onto your phone in your left hand, you walk to your terminal area. There you sat down on one of the chairs facing the large window that showed the runway for the planes. You close your eyes and breathe in and out slowly, waiting for your plane to arrive.
You feel a vibration in your hand. It’s your phone. A text has been delivered to you and so you quickly check it to see who it is from. Maybe it could be Xiumin saying he’s just fine or Yuki wishing you luck or even one of the guys telling you more about the situation at the moment.

It’s from Baekhyun. You’re heart drops even further down than it was before.

 

[5:49 A.M.]

From: Baekhyun

“Xiumin-hyung has serious head injuries. His skull is cracked and his brain is swelling due to a concussion he got from the fall. Hurry and get here. The doctors are trying to make the swelling lessen but it seems that it isn’t working. Hurry, Yuni.”

 

Your eyes start to water, but you try and cover it up by wiping up the tears. Crying softly into your coat, you wait for your plane to arrive.

 

An hour passes by and you finally see your plane arrive. It slowly descends from the sky and carefully touches the earth beneath it where the cemented runway lies. The plane slows down and has little carts help it maneuver around to get to the terminal where you wait. It takes a few minutes for it to get to the terminal and several more minutes for the passengers to get out. There were many people. There were sounds of the rolling of people’s luggage as it transitioned from the hard floor from the hall connecting the airport to the plane to the soft carpet and back to the hard floor.

You wait for your seat number to be called out to get in line and get on the plane.

“Rows 14 through 20 may now get in line to be seated. Rows 14 through 21 may now get in line to be seated.”

You stash your phone quickly into your pocket and get up toward the line, holding your plane ticket.

“Ticket, please,” said the woman behind the counter. You handed her your ticket and she ripped a piece of it off, handing it back to you. “Thank you, enjoy your flight,” she said with a smile and you attempted to return it.

As you sit in your seat, you buckle up and a bunch of other things happen before your plane takes off. When the plane started to move, a flight attendant stands where the people of the middle part of the plane can see and shows everyone how to buckle up and goes over some safety precautions if there were a disaster.

The plane takes off. Cars were getting smaller, people were becoming invisible, and the ground was disappearing as the plane was ascending into the boundless, cloudy sky.