Chapter 8.1 - Why Love If It Hurts So Much? (part 1)

Because "You" Happened

Kyungsoo kept on tossing and turning on his bed. There were many things that were bothering him. First is that Jongin called him ‘doughnut’ as he called the boy ‘chocolate’. He never really wanted to call Jongin that, it’s just that he was so shocked that he blurted out was he was secretly calling the boy. And to add to his first problem, Jongin hugged him as soon as he left the room and had told him to take care. Kyungsoo punched his pillow in frustration.

“What would our next meeting be like? Would it be awkward?”

The second thing that was bothering him was his best friend saw them; Jongin hugging him while he stood there. Yes, that was a big deal. Why?

It is for the reason that Baekhyun would now think that there was something going on between the two of them. Kyungsoo was sure of this because the grins and the looks his best friend gave him meant that way. He despised it because he thought, Baekhyun would link all he the things he would do to Jongin. Things like cooking (even though he did it normally, Baekhyun would probably say: “Oh my Kyungsoo. Your cooking improved ever since that hug from Kim Jongin”) or cleaning (“My oh my Kyungie. You’ve become diligent after Kim Jongin hugged you”) were in no means considered safe because knowing Baekhyun; his best friend would probably do this. All of this.

Speaking of Baekhyun, the third thing was his best friend. His best friend was still not home. It was already 7 o’clock in the evening yet the door hasn’t moved. Kyungsoo looked for his best friend at the mall 3o minutes ago, but there was no Baekhyun. He checked every bag store and even the fast food chains (Baekhyun might have been hungry) but still, no sign of Baekhyun.

“Where are you, Baekhyun? I thought you’re just looking for a bag…”

Kyungsoo jumped out of his bed when he heard the front gate creaked open.  He sighed deeply before he went out of the room and as soon as he got out, Kyungsoo saw Baekhyun leaning at the closed door with his eyes closed. He slowly walked closer to his best friend whose lips are trembling.

“K-Kyu… Kyungsoo-ah…” Baekhyun said. Kyungsoo heard his best friend’s voice crack and saw tears flow down from Baekhyun’s eyes.

His eyes began to tear up. All of the frustrations earlier were now gone as he saw his best friend cry. He couldn’t afford to see Baekhyun hurt anymore. No, not again.

He was about to hug Baekhyun when the boy quickly wrapped his arms around him as soon as he got nearer. Kyungsoo knew that something was going on.

Something is bothering him. And it’s big time.

“Baekhyun-ah, what’s wrong?” Kyungsoo said as he looked up, preventing tears from flowing while he was still hugging Baekhyun. He felt his best friend clutch at his shirt while still crying.

This was something serious. This was not just like the ordinary problems Baekhyun would cry at. This was different. Why? Because the last time Kyungsoo saw Baekhyun like this was when Baekhyun recently broke up with Sungjae and probably now, the problem was not Sungjae. Kyungsoo was so sure. He could feel it by Baekhyun’s grasp and breathing pattern.

He is hurting… Again…

“Kyungie, I am so confused. I don’t know what to do anymore.” His best friend said while burying his face against Kyungsoo’s chest. Kyungsoo could feel it. Kyungsoo could feel what Baekhyun’s answer would be after he asked the question in his mind.

“Why? What happened?”

“I like someone. No, I don’t know if it is still ‘like’ but Kyungsoo, I don’t want to love anymore. I don’t want to be hurt again. What should I do, Kyungsoo? I want to go away from him but he makes me happy every time. He is such a happy virus, Kyungsoo. I really don’t know what to do.” His best friend knelt down as he still continues to wail. It was obvious that this was driving Baekhyun crazy, and he doesn’t want that. He doesn’t want to see his beloved best friend like that.

“I know this is personal but, who is this you are talking about?” Kyungsoo shakily asked. He then saw Baekhyun lift his head up and saw shining eyes with tears streaming down.

“Chanyeol. The person was that freaking Park Chanyeol.” Baekhyun cried even more as he mentioned the guy’s name. Kyungsoo could do nothing but hug his best friend. His best friend was in great agony and he does hope that this would end.

Kyungsoo knew it. Kyungsoo knew that his best friend was confused with his feelings. Kyungsoo felt it. Kyungsoo felt it because he was feeling the same. He doesn’t know if he likes Jongin or not. The reason why Jongin calling him ‘doughnut’ became a problem was because he doesn’t know what to feel. A part of him wants to be happy but there was something in him that makes him sad.

What if I fell for Jongin? What if I fell for him? Would he love me back?

Jongin was handsome and attractive which makes it impossible for someone not to like him. Even though many looked at him as a gangster still, it’s impossible for a person not to like the boy but for Kyungsoo, Jongin’s physical features were just a big bonus. Many people still haven’t witnessed the chocolate’s kindness but Kyungsoo already had and this was what caught him; the kindness and care that Jongin have wherein Kyungsoo was the only one who has noticed it.

The both of them just knelt down there. Kyungsoo was hugging his crying best friend while Baekhyun’s tears won’t stop streaming down. Kyungsoo hugged Baekhyun tighter.

You and I are on the same boat, Baekhyun.

Kyungsoo woke up earlier to cook for breakfast for the both of them. He realized yesterday that it was the least he could do for Baekhyun and himself. Kyungsoo have already gathered the ingredients and was ready to cook when he heard Baekhyun’s broken voice.

“Kyungie?” Baekhyun said, almost whispering. It seemed that hi s best friend hasn’t recovered yet from yesterday.

“Baekie, just rest okay? I can handle this.” Kyungsoo assured Baekhyun. He doesn’t want his best friend to be bothered. Yesterday was enough.

“Kyungie, I ─”

“Baekhyun, no. Yesterday was too much for you. Your voice proved it. Why bother if you are still not okay?” Kyungsoo raised his voice a little. He saw Baekhyun retreat while looking down. “Baek look, I’m sorry. It’s just that what happened yesterday was too much. I couldn’t afford to see you like that again.” Baekhyun finally accepted it as he sat on a sofa and hugged a pillow.

~~~

Kyungsoo sat on his chair and ducked over his desk as soon as he arrived at the classroom. It was very tiring but he just ignored every strained muscle he had just for the sake of his best friend. He was close to drift to dreamland when he felt something cold wrap around his upper arm.

“There you go” Someone patted his upper arm. “Don’t remove this. This is to relax your tired muscle, Munchkin.” He saw Jongin wrapping the cool pad tighter as he looked up to see who has been doing this.

Kyungsoo could feel that his face was becoming red as Jongin finished wrapping the pad. He felt uneasy and found it harder to breathe when the boy in front of him gave him a sweet smile.

Did he just call me munchkin?

“Wh-Who is m-munchkin?” Kyungsoo stuttered. He needed to be sure.

“It’s you, Do Kyungsoo. Who else?” Jongin said while giving Kyungsoo a questioning look.

“I- I thought… Why am I the munchkin?” I thought I’m doughnut…

Kyungsoo was about to get the hanky from his bag when his arm ached as he reached for the bag. He groaned in pain as his arm retreated. Suddenly, he felt Jongin hold him at his hand.

“Gosh, you should have said so. Let me do it for you.” Jongin gave him his bag. Kyungsoo blushed at Jongin’s kindness. One more and he could feel himself finally giving in.

“By the way, I want you to call me Chucky. I made this names so we could easily know who’s calling your name so whenever I heard Chucky, it means Do Kyungsoo is calling me.” Jongin gave him a warm smile.

“Does it need to be this sweet?” One more… One more…

“Of course. No one in this campus loves me like you do.” And that’s it. He finally gave in.

I hope so Chucky. I hope for that to happen so I would be calling you mine…

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun tried to hide his puffy eyes by using the eyeliner Kyungsoo gave him as a gift during his birthday. His head hurt like hell and for cheesecakes, he still needed to go to school.

Baekhyun have decided to avoid the giant at all cost. The confusing matter drove him insane and well, confused. He doesn’t want to see Chanyeol for this time for he doesn’t know what to do if he will see the happy virus. He doesn’t know what to feel. Baekhyun wanted to be happy but seeing Chanyeol, everything might be reversed. And everything being reversed, he just couldn’t take it.

He was about to go upstairs to go to his classroom when his eyes started to cloud and for the nth time, he was damn tired of drying tears. He hated this emotional side of him. He hated his eyes. He hated his tears. He hated his heart. He hated fate. He hated drying tears. He hated Sungjae. He hated himself. He hated everything.

As much as he hated the world, he also hated his foot as he slipped while climbing the stairs. Stupid foot, he thought. He closed his eyes and readied himself for a part of him would be badly hurt as he fell. Baekhyun waited for 10 seconds for something to hurt when he felt nothing. He felt like floating and then opened his eyes only to found himself at the arms of Chanyeol.

Such cruel fate…

The happy virus just smiled at him and carried Baekhyun upstairs, bridal style. Chanyeol then gently put Baekhyun down.

“Careful, princess. Thy prince would not always be at your side.”

Baekhyun felt his knees weaken. This was what he was talking about. He doesn’t know what to do. He just stood there, frozen as everything was still reeling in.

P-princess? I─I am his p-princess?

“Princess? What’s wrong?” Chanyeol tapped Baekhyun’s cheek. Baekhyun could feel himself blushing. Cold sweat started to drip down and his heart was drumming inside as he looked at a worried Chanyeol.

All of his plans of avoiding Chanyeol immediately vanished. Baekhyun’s mind went blank. The only thing that remained in his mind was Chanyeol ─ Chanyeol carrying him and Chanyeol worried about him.

“Th-thank you, Ch- Chanyeol-ah…” Baekhyun looked down as he felt himself redden. He swore he could feel the heat rising to his cheeks. He couldn’t speak as his stupid hormones made him nervous.

“Let’s go. We’ll be late for class.” Chanyeol proceeded to walk to their classroom but Baekhyun didn’t follow. Chanyeol sensed that no one was behind him so he looked back and saw Baekhyun go up, little by little. Baekhyun noticed Chanyeol laugh as he reached the top. He then ran to their classroom, leaving the happy virus behind. He buried his head under his hands as soon as Baekhyun reached his seat. He was embarrassed and he thought that he couldn’t face Chanyeol because of what happened earlier. He was yelping like a puppy when he felt someone took the seat beside him.

He looked up only to see a group of girls surrounding Chanyeol’s chair and a girl who was seated on the chair. The girls giggled and talked to each other. Baekhyun groaned as he forcefully dropped his head to the desk, which made the girls stop talking.

“What is his problem?” One of them asked.

All of you. All the flirts like you. All of you should be ground into fine pieces and you would be scattered to the ocean floor. Baekhyun thought. He murdered them in his mind, stabbing their chest and grinding them into pieces as they scream for help. Baekhyun was laughing evilly when the girls giggled even more.

“Uhm, excuse me but that is my seat.” A deep voice boomed. Baekhyun raised his head only to see Chanyeol being surrounded by the girls. That’s it.

Baekhyun was about to shove the girls away when another tall guy came into the scene.

“Girls, I know Chanyeol is handsome and cute but please, let him take his seat.” Kris, their class president, said as he shooed the girls. The two tall guys smiled at each other. Baekhyun felt a pang on his chest.  He won't be another flirt, would he?

Baekhyun shook his head aggressively. There was no way their pres would be a flirt but looking at his smile, Baekhyun couldn’t help to think so. Ugh! Why am I like this…?

“Baekhyun, did you put eyeliner on your eyes?” Chanyeol asked him, interrupting his solemn meditation. He looked at Chanyeol but immediately looked away as he hid his eyes from the giant but Chanyeol cupped his face and forced him to look at him.

Baekhyun’s heart beat faster as the both of them stared with each other. He wasn’t expecting Chanyeol to do that. He then saw Chanyeol look at his lips and this made him more nervous. Chanyeol then wiped his eyes with the black scarf.

“Your highness, you can’t deny to thy prince that there was something wrong. Thy eyes are puffy and swelling.”

“N─Nothing. Please let my head go.” Chanyeol did so but still, the worried look of the prince was still there. “It is none of your business.”

“You are my business, princess.” And that caught Baekhyun off guard. Where did Chanyeol get those words? Baekhyun realized that his heart was fluttering too much. This needs to stop.

“For cheesecakes Chanyeol, please stop. Stop all of this.” Baekhyun ran outside the classroom He realized that he doesn’t know when he became a princess. He doesn’t even know why Chanyeol was suddenly like that. But he was sure of one thing.

 

Thy princess is falling for thy prince. Hard.

 

 

 

 

Chanyeol watched Baekhyun as the boy ran outside their classroom. He was about to follow him when Kris stopped him.

“Where are you going, Chanyeol?” The classroom president asked him, still holding his hand. Chanyeol looked at their hands and finally, Kris noticed it and immediately dropped his hand. “I’m sorry.”

“Please, spare me this time. I need to follow Baekhyun.” Chanyeol said in a hurriedly manner. He might lose his princess.

“I’m sorry, Chanyeol but I’m afraid I can’t let you. It is clearly stated in Article 4 Section 7 under ‘Rules and Regulations during class hours’ in the student handbook that no student is allowed to go out during class hours except for washroom needs, classroom shifting and emergencies which Baekhyun just violated.”

Chanyeol sighed in defeat. He returned back to his seat and stared at the door. He could sense that Kris was still looking at him but he didn’t care. His princess got away.

Classes have already ended and it was already six o’clock. Chanyeol was still waiting in the classroom beside Baekhyun’s bag, hoping that the boy will get his bag. The boy maybe had forgotten to take it as he ran quickly earlier.

He thought about what happened earlier. Was he too much? ‘What did I do wrong?’ Chanyeol thought. He figured that Baekhyun might have been shocked by his action that’s why he stayed here to explain. Baekhyun needed to know why he was like this. It’s time for Baekhyun to know how important he was to Chanyeol.

Chanyeol was practicing his supposed-to-be lines when he heard the door open. He sprang up to his seat. “Baekh─”

“I’m sorry, Chanyeol but I am not Baekhyun.” The person he saw was not small but tall. It was not Baekhyun but Kris. “But I do have good news for you.”

“What is it?” Somehow, Chanyeol felt himself loosen a bit.

“Our supervisor saw Baekhyun violate a rule in our handbook and resulted to both of us being called to the Dean’s office. I said that Baekhyun was crying in pain as he was walking around the campus so they spared him.” The class president told him. Chanyeol approached Kris and hugged him.

“Thanks, prez. I owe you one.” He was about to get his and his princess’s bag when Kris stopped him again.

“Uhm Chanyeol, I have something to tell you.”

“Yeah?” Chanyeol gave Kris a questioning look.

“Do you remember the first day of school? When you were still enrolled in Biology class? We knew each other back then, right?”

“Uhuh.” Chanyeol nodded and asked Kris to continue.

“Remember we ate lunch together and you told me a joke which made me happy? I wanted to thank you for it.” Kris patted his shoulder.

Chanyeol remembered that time. It was his first successful attempt on interacting with people however, he felt something was missing so he did consider it as a fail but with Baekhyun, he felt complete. “It’s nothing.”

“Uhh, I’m embarrassed to say this but when you did it, there was no time I didn’t think about you. There wasn’t a time I didn’t look for you everywhere. There wasn’t a time my chest thumped whenever I see you and now, you’re here. So, yeah… I like you Park Chanyeol.”

Chanyeol was surprised because after that, the president kissed him on his lips. He couldn’t move as he was surprised; too surprised to move. Kris felt Chanyeol wasn’t kissing back so he held the latter’s waist. It was when Chanyeol realized that everything was wrong. The kiss was wrong, the person was wrong and the feeling was wrong. Because his heart already belonged to the princess.

Chanyeol finally found the strength to push Kris when he saw Baekhyun by the door with his jaw dropped. He pushed Kris away and looked at Baekhyun again but he saw Baekhyun’s eyes were filling with tears. The tears streamed down Baekhyun’s face as he ran and Chanyeol saw it. He ran to follow Baekhyun when Kris hugged him but Chanyeol just shoved him away. “I’m sorry. My heart belongs to someone else.”

He was right. Everything was wrong. What Baekhyun saw and what Baekhyun was thinking was all wrong. He reached the front of the school gate and looked everywhere but he didn’t saw Baekhyun. Chanyeol screamed and knelt down. He couldn’t believe this happened. He punched the ground with frustration.

 

I lost my princess… Stupid prince.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Sorry for the late update guys T___T 

Anyways, I hope you had a good Christmas :) 

And sorry for the late greetings but, Belated Merry Christmas everyone XOXO

 

I wanted to thank YoungWoo17 for letting me use the "Princess and Prince" endearment. She is my favorite author guys ;) Read her stories okay? :') [Ohemgee I finally talked to my favorite author asdfghjkl.]

You can read her fics Here.

potatopuppy