Key

The Blind Eyes

"Mwoh? You skipped morning class?" IU asked in disbelief. Wooyoung heaved a sigh.

"Yeah, and I met this weird dude. I think he was trying to take away Bummie," Wooyoung said. IU giggled.

"No one would try to take Bummie, Wooyoung-ah! Bummie is a fearless dog that can chase away any strangers that try to take him away. We share a very special bond," IU said. Wooyoung managed to shrug.

"Sure, whatever–"

"Wooyoung oppa!" Tiffany called, running up to him with a smile. Her smile quickly faded when she saw the same girl this morning with Wooyoung. Who is that girl? Tiffany wondered. She cleared as she silently approached them. "Um…hi!"

"A-Annyeonghaseyo! Um, if you'll excuse me–" IU turned her back on the two, and tried to run away. However, Wooyoung was faster than IU. He quickly grabbed IU's wrist before she could take another step. IU gulped nervously and turned around. "Wooyoung oppa…"

"Don't worry, IU. She's safe," Wooyoung assured. "She's totally harmless."

"What? Wooyoung oppa, what are you talking about?" Tiffany asked, a bit irritated. Wooyoung narrowed his eyes at Tiffany.

"She's blind, stupid," Wooyoung stated. Tiffany gasped and covered with her hands. IU loosened her shoulders and heaved a sigh. He just had to say that, IU thought.

"I-I'm so sorry!" Tiffany apologized, bowing at IU. Oh wait, she can't see you bowing at her! Aish…How am I supposed to properly apologize to her? Tiffany wondered. IU managed to force a smile.

"Aniyo, it's fine. You didn't know, anyways," IU said. Tiffany stared at IU sympathetically.

"I…I'm so sorry to say such a thing, but I'm sorry about your loss of vision," Tiffany said quietly. IU felt like the world was falling down on her. Does the world really pity me that much? IU thought. She felt her eyes tearing up a bit.

"Aish, babo! Don't say such a thing!" Wooyoung barked, slapping Tiffany's head softly. Tiffany flinched and pouted cutely, staring at Wooyoung. 

"Mwoh? I really do feel sad for her!" Tiffany shouted. IU gulped down slowly. began to feel sour every time she gulped.

"I-I'll be going now," IU said, running away. Wooyoung widened his eyes and turned around, trying to grab IU's wrist again. Though by the time he turned around, IU wasn't there anymore. Wooyoung sighed and bit his lower lips. Wooyoung glared at Tiffany.

"Now look what you did!" Wooyoung snapped. Tiffany's eyes started to round.

"Eh?! Look what I did? I never even knew she was blind! Plus, your mother wanted me to express my honest feelings. I was being very honest!" Tiffany protested. 

"Oh my gosh, I can't believe you listen to my mom's lectures," Wooyoung groaned. Tiffany frowned and put her hands on her hips.

"Well, let me tell you mister, her 'lectures' are more like noble teachings! Let me start with the first thing she taught me…"


IU, who felt like she was far away from the others, stopped running. She quickly wiped her tears with her uniform sleeves. She sobbed for a while, and walked a little further. She had no idea where she was now. She used her cane to help her picture where she was, but she only felt a nearby tree, and pebbles and dirt scattered on the ground. Great, I'm lost, IU thought. She sighed and leaned next to the tree. 

"Anyone? Is anyone here?" IU called. No one replied. IU sighed. Okay, I'm blind, I only feel dirt and pebbles with my cane, and I have no idea where I am. There isn't even a single person who can hear me, too! IU thought miserably. There's only one thing for me to do.

"Bummie! BUMMIE!" IU yelled. Bummie would somehow find a way to untie himself from the leash and run to her. Though, the only question was: Was she close enough for Bummie to hear her?

IU heaved another sigh, but this time, it was a hopeless sigh. "This is no use. I'll be stranded here until someone finds me or something."


"Bummie! BUMIME!" a faint voice called. Bummie, who was able to hear his owner's voice, barked loudly. The same chestnut-colored hair boy earlier this morning stared at Bummie strangely.

"What's up, Bum?" the stranger asked. Bummie barked and tried to take off its leash. Bummie whimpered as it tried to walk to the gate and untie himself. The stranger raised an eyebrow and slowly untied Bummie's leash. "What's up, boy?"

"Arf, arf!" Bummie barked, running into the school. The stranger widened his eyes and chased after the boy.

"W-Wait Bummie! You aren't supposed to leave!" the stranger called, running to catch up with the dog. The dog obviously ignored the stranger and ran to his owner. The stranger panted, following the dog's tracks. 

Finally, the dog stopped running when it arrived behind the school building. The stranger panted and dropped his hands on his laps. Dang, Bummie got faster! the stranger thought. Bummie barked loudly.

"Bummie?" a soft voice asked. The stranger froze, recognizing the voice. It was even sweeter and softer than before when they were only kids. He could've believe that he could remember the same voice, too. He slowly raised his head, finding a young teenager holding a cane. Bummie the teenager's face, as she giggled. It was the same giggle he had heard when he was younger. He nervously gulped his saliva.

"Lee…Ji Eun?"


"Aish, where did she go?" Wooyoung searched everyone in the school. He groaned. It's been a while since he had been searching for IU. He finally arrived behind the building and smiled when he saw IU. He was just about to call her until he saw a familiar guy. Wooyoung's eyes began to grow larger. Hey! It's the guy I met earlier this morning! he thought. 

"Lee…Ji Eun?" the stranger whispered. IU froze. She, too, recognized the familiar voice. She started laughing hoarsely to herself, as Bummie barked excitedly. It can't be. It can't be him, IU thought. She slowly looked up from the dog and stared at the direction she had heard the voice.

"Who…are you?" IU asked awkwardly. It can't be him, it can't be him–

"Ji Eun-ah, do you remember me? It's me, Ki Bum. Or actually, call me Key now," Key said, chuckling. IU's eyes began to round. She suddenly became as still as a rock. Wooyoung curiously raised an eyebrow. Do the two know each other? Wooyoung wondered curiously, still hiding behind the corner of the building.