To School

The Blind Eyes

"Um, excuse me, but not to be rude, but…are you perhaps blind?" Wooyoung asked cautiously. IU kept quiet. Then, she started giggling a bit.

"Is it really that easy to tell?" IU asked softly. Wooyoung rubbed his nape awkwardly.

"Well, I guess. I mean, your dog is right next to you and you can't see it. I mean, if you had bad eyesight, you'd at least be able to see the black thing in front of you, but you don't. So, I assumed that you were blind," Wooyoung explained. IU slowly nodded and grinned.

"I see. Anyways, can you help me?" IU asked quietly, blushing faintly. This is so embarrassing, IU thought, A guy I have no idea who he is knows that I'm blind by just asking a simple question. Aigoo, IU, I guess you make yourself too obvious.

"Sure. Here's your dog leash," Wooyoung said, handing Bummie's leash to IU. IU smiled as she grabbed it swiftly. Wooyoung realized how soft and milky her skin was. He smiled lightly and helped IU get up on her feet. "Hey, is he your guide dog?"

"Mm…I guess you can say that. He actually belonged to a childhood friend of mine. My childhood friend gave me this dog before he left to somewhere else," IU said, patting Bummie. "I can never lose this dog. Bummie is like a magnet that links me and his original owner." Wooyoung nodded slowly and smiled.

"Well, are you ditching school?" he asked casually. IU looked horrified.

"Ditching school? Of course not! Oh, if I remember correctly, you said that you came to the same school as me? I don't remember hearing a student named Jang Wooyoung. Are you a new student?" IU asked politely, as Bummie pounced on Wooyoung's leg. Wooyoung smiled and nodded. Oh wait, she's blind, Wooyoung reminded himself.

"Yeah, I am a new student, but I'm skipping school," Wooyoung said cooly. IU widened her eyes.

"You can't!" she exclaimed.

"Why not? School is just another evil place where they torture you," Wooyoung muttered coldly. He glanced at Bummie, who whimpered sadly. He bent down and picked up the dog. "Bummie, this is your new duty for your master: Destroy the terrifying homework hound that the evil teachers hand to your owner! Homework hounds are harmless to animals, but they can your owner's soul into a new world of paper, numbers, and words." The dog growled fiercely and barked in reply. IU glared at Wooyoung.

"Excuse me, but please don't mess up my dog's mind. If you didn't know, Bummie is a very intelligent dog. He practically understands human language," IU noted. Wooyoung laughed and rolled his eyes.

"Ha! Whatever," Wooyoung said, patting the dog. "Anyways, your dog doesn't seem smart enough knowing where school is."

"You have a good eye, Wooyoung," IU complimented, sighing. "Too bad that I can't see such a thing." Wooyoung bit his lips. Oops, I said what I wasn't supposed to say, Wooyoung thought.

"I'm sorry that you're blind," Wooyoung apologized, "But do you want me to lead you to school?" IU's face brightened up as Bummie barked enthusiastically.

"Really?" she asked.

"Really, I can if you want me to. Even though I'm a new student, know the way," Wooyoung said. IU shyly looked down nervously and nodded her head, accepting Wooyoung's favor.

"Gomawo…" she whispered.


When the three arrived at school, Wooyoung found Tiffany standing in front of the school's gate. Tiffany looked up and smiled brightly when she saw Wooyoung. He came! Tiffany thought, He actually came to school!

"Woo…!" Tiffany stopped herself when she saw another girl next to Wooyoung. She awkwardly tilted her head, wondering who the girl was. Well, at least she's in the same uniform as me, she thought, walking up to Wooyoung.

"Wooyoung oppa, you came!" Tiffany exclaimed. Wooyoung kept a straight face and ignored Tiffany.

"We're here, IU," he said, as IU pressed her lips tightly. Bummie barked enthusiastically and pounced on Tiffany's leg. Tiffany freaked and stepped back.

"Wooyoung oppa! Help! Help!" Tiffany screamed, as the dog continued to bark and walk towards Tiffany. Tiffany wasn't a dog fan at all. In fact, she hated furry animals. Wooyoung couldn't help but laugh. Tiffany glared at her future husband. "You think this is funny? Well your mom won't think it's funny once she finds out that you're dating another girl instead of me!" 

With that said, Tiffany stored into the school. IU nudged on Wooyoung's sleeve.

"Mwoh?" Wooyoung and turning to IU.

"Who was that?" she asked. "I know it's a girl, but is she your fiance?"

"Yeah, but I don't care about her at all. Anyways, you can get into school yourself now, right?" Wooyoung said, simply shrugging. IU slowly nodded and tied her dog's leash around one of the gate bars. She bent down and pointed at the wall.

"Bummie-ah, you–"

"Um, IU, Bummie is next to you, not in front of you," Wooyoung informed, turning IU's body around. IU flushed in embarrassment and patted Bummie's head.

"T-Thanks. Anyways, Bummie-ah, you stay here, arraso?" IU ordered. Bummie barked and sat down happily, as IU got back up on her feet. She turned to Wooyoung and smiled.

"So are you coming?" IU asked. 

"To where?" Wooyoung asked back.

"To school, of course. You said you weren't going to school earlier. Shouldn't you go since you're the new student?" IU questioned. Wooyoung snorted and laughed.

"Ha! As if. Listen, all I did was bring you over to school. That's it! I'm going back to the park, so have fun at school, arraso?" Wooyoung said, putting his hand on IU's shoulder. IU looked upset that Wooyoung wasn't going to school with her. She glumly nodded and entered the school gate. Wooyoung watched go in and sighed in relief as he turned his back on her.

"Hey, aren't you the blind girl?" 

Wooyoung whipped his head around and found IU being flirted by two guys. Aish, those guys don't even know how to treat a blind girl! Wooyoung thought. He stormed inside the school and pushed the two students away from IU.

"Ya, ya! Stop flirting with her. She just wants to get into the building. Leave her alone," Wooyoung snapped. He slowly touched IU's shoulder, and pushed her into the building. He suddenly realized that IU was shaking.

"G-G-Gomawo…" IU stuttered, her teeth chattering.

"Ya, is it that scary? They only talked to you. They didn't even touch you," Wooyoung smirked. 

"When you're blind, it's even scarier since you don't know what kind of people they are. You can easily mistaken them as a person who wants to ask question or your friend," IU explained, shivering. 

"Huh, I see. Anyways, where are your friends?" Wooyoung asked, looking around. "All I see are people just smiling at you."

"I have no friends," IU said, calming down a bit. "I stay away from people because they scare me."