IU's Surgery

The Blind Eyes

"IU…I really feel like you shouldn't do this," Wooyoung said uncomfortably. IU just giggled and smiled softly.

"Wooyoung, I know that you know how I'm feeling about Bummie's surgery, but I will be fine. Trust me," IU said sadly, heaving a sad sigh.

"No, that's not the point. Bummie, who was related to you, died during surgery. You're doing surgery. Shouldn't you just…well, I don't know, stay blind?" Wooyoung asked. His heart ached in pain, worried about if IU would survive her surgery or not.

"But…I really want to see," IU said honestly. "I want to see colors, not just a black shadow. I want to see, Wooyoung oppa, and I need your support."

"But you're weak. You won't be able to handle the new eyes. You should rest, recover from Bummie's death, and then take the donor's eyes."

"Bummie was a dog. He was already weak. It was all my fault," IU blamed, sniffing. "I'm not a dog. I'm a human being, Wooyoung oppa. I'm stronger, and I can do this. I just need for you to help me believe."

"But what if you–"

"IU!" Key exclaimed, running up to her. "Hurry up! They have to prepare taking your eyes out before giving you the donor's eyes."

IU smiled. "Okay, okay. I'm coming!" She focused her attention back to Wooyoung. "Please…just have hope in me."

Wooyoung stared at IU worriedly. Beads of sweat formed on his forehead. He finally gave up and sighed. "Fine. Be safe…and promise me that you'll survive, because I want to tell you something."

IU threw him a confused look. "Why don't you tell me now?" she asked. 

Wooyoung blushed and looked away. "Er…uh…I want to tell you face to face?"

IU paused for a moment, and then nodded her head. "Alright. Bye, and wish me luck!" With that, she skipped off with Key, who was also concerned about the operation. Wooyoung made a fist, and pumped it in the air.

Today…right after the operation…I'm gonna confess, he told himeslf. Wooyoung, HWAITING!


Hours later, the surgeons were at work. IU was already put to sleep, and her eyes were being removed.

"Alright, her eyes are removed," the expert surgeon announced. "Don't do anything."

The rest of the surgeons nodded, as the lead surgeon placed the eyes on the tissues. Suddenly, the surgeon with brown ponytail announced, "Um…is there supposed to be a lot of blood coming out of her eyes?"

"Huh?" The surgeon turned around and widened his eyes. "Holy cow, who…Hurry up and get the donor!"

The back door quickly opened up. A panicking nurse stared at the three surgeons with wide eyes. "Sir! The donor came, but then took off when there was an emergency! I'm afraid that she has no donors!"

"Then get one from the cabinet! I'm sure there are plenty of eyes," the surgeon ordered.

"Her eyes are very rare! We've checked the cabinet, and none of those eyes matches with hers," the nurse informed. 

"WHAT?!"


The same nurse came out of the emergency room. Key, Wooyoung, and Tiffany, who were the only ones in the waiting room, stared at the nurse confusingly, noticing how the emergency sign was still lit up. Then, the nurse shifted uncomfortably and took a deep breath.

"I'm afraid that the donor has took off when there was an emergency. Your friend is losing a lot of blood, and if she doesn't get an eye to be replaced, it's possible that she can die," the nurse explained quietly. Key's face went white, as Tiffany gasped in shock. Wooyoung, on the other hand, made a fist.

"WHAT?!" Wooyoung screamed. "How can the donor just leave like that? Are you just going to IU like that, dying? Just put back her blind eyes again!"

"Her eyes are very sensitive, sir," the nurse said sharply. "Her eyes won't go back in. We need new eyes. So…we were planning to maybe get on of your eyes and–"

"I'll to it," Key and Wooyoung volunteered in unison. They glared at each other, as Wooyoung took a step forward.

"Let me do it," Wooyoung demanded.

"No, no. You're important to IU. I should do it," Key said, shaking his head. 

"Actually, we were thinking of the young girl to do it," the nurse said, looking at Tiffany. She hung her head low, and slowly shook her head. Tears were swelling up in her eyes, as she refused to let them stream down.

"No," Tiffany said quietly. "I can't. IU said that if I did, she…she…she would…" Tiffany gulped nervously, as her eyes watered. "She said that I shouldn't give her my eyes. My eyes won't work on her. I even got them tested, and it didn't match with the kinds IU needed."

"Oh, so you were the girl with the cam–" The nurse paused when Tiffany gave her a sharp look. The nurse calmly nodded her head and turned to one of the boys.

"So, who wants to donate their eyes?" the nurse asked. Wooyoung raised his hand again.

"Me. I have to. I want Key to take care of IU when I'm blind, since he was closer to Key."

"But–"

"Alright then," the nurse interrupted. "Please, come and follow me."


"Now, hopefully you won't feel anything while we do the surgery," the nurse said. "We'll be injecting something that will make you feel numb and fall asleep. When you wake up, your eyes might feel weird and different, but you will soon adjust to them. Understand?"

Wooyoung nodding his head in reply. He was nervous, but at the same time, he was happy. A smile crept on his face as he thought about how he would blindly confess to IU. He felt a sharp pain on his skin, but chose to ignore it. Slowly, he got drowsier by the second.

Finally…IU will be able to see.


Wooyoung woke up to find himself on his bed. He felt a pair of bandage wrapped around his head. 

"IU? Tiffany? Key?" Wooyoung called.

"He's awake, nurse!" Tiffany called excitedly. Wooyoung saw only black, but that was because of the bandage. His eyes didn't feel weird, but he felt uncomfortable with the bandage. 

"Alright, I will be unwrapping the bandage," the nurse said. Carefully, the nurse swiftly uncovered the bandage from Wooyoung's head. He suddenly frowned as the bandage got thinner and thinner. His visions seemed to feel…lighter.

"Okay, open your eyes," the nurse ordered. Wooyoung slowly opened his eyes. He felt himself almost having a heart attack. He could see. There was Key and Tiffany, staring at Wooyoung with red eyes. Wooyoung widened his eyes, shocked at his surrounded.

"Wah…" Just then, the surgeon came in. He stared at Wooyoung with sad and guilty eyes.

"Sir, I don't know if you heard from these folks about what happened to the patient, but…she didn't survive the surgery." 


A/N: WOOHOO! DOUBLE UPDATE! >_< Almost done with this story :) It'll end after one more chapter, maybe? O_O I don't know, but I DID A DOUBLE UPDATE! :D That's so rare for me…O_O