Promising Changes

Teased

 

Promising Changes

 

“Hey, are you feeling nervous?” The girl softly asked, taking note of how unusually quiet the boy beside her seemed at this point, his facial expression appearing somewhat blank and zoned out. The two were currently waiting by the crowded terminal at the airport after arriving about half an hour ago, patiently waiting for the 5:30 flight to arrive. Hearing her voice, he only blinked to himself before gradually turning around to face her. Jungkook casually nodded back, a small smile plastered on his lips as he playfully nudged her sides. “Yeah, just a little. I’m pretty sure that anyone would feel flustered like me, if they’re just about to meet their girlfriend’s father-in-law.”

Haekyung instantly turned red, his words repeatedly flashing through her mind while she froze.

“What are you talking about? You’re just meeting my dad, not the president. And I never said that I was going to marry you, idiot!” He laughed, gently hugging her as he softly pulled her into his arms. “I’m alright with that. I’ll just have to wait until you’re ready to be my wife, polar bear.”

“Jeez, you sure are patient.” She hugged him back, smiling softly.

“I know, it’s not easy tolerating someone that probably wouldn’t even consider dating me for a hundred years if I hadn’t ever mentioned it at all. And it doesn’t help that you’re so dense too.” He teased, chuckling out loud as he tightened his arms around her. Haekyung lightly frowned, glancing up at him in a playful manner. “Then why would you even want to marry me, Jungkook?”

“Because I simply can’t imagine what life would be like without you, if you’re not here with me.”

Her smile gradually deepened in place, “I guess I feel the same way.”

The boy brightened up at her unexpected response, softly smiling down at her as she steadily gazed up at him, heartbeat accelerating. Just seeing that gentle expression of his alone, was enough to drive her own cheeks warm. She shortly pulled back from his arms when Jungkook had let her go. Just a minute later, announcements signalling the arrival of flight no. 183 played across the airport, followed by the heavy movement of newly arrived passengers walking towards the gate of the terminal. Haekyung averted her gaze to the crowd, searching for her father. It wasn’t until a bit later that someone else had caught her attention from a distance, his warm voice calling out to her. The girl slowly turned left, meeting the man’s gaze. He glanced at her lovingly.

In this single moment, it suddenly felt as if all of her words were currently trapped in .

The girl stared straight ahead, instinctively reaching her arms forward as her steps came to a halt. Her father lightly blinked at the impact, affectionately embracing her back before he softened in place. It’s been too long since they’ve last seen each other, to be able to freely exchange warm gestures like these with one another. So long, that she was beginning to remember just how familiarly comforting her father’s scent had been, and how much warmth he could easily provide her with. Haekyung gently smiled into the man’s shoulder, her voice coming out slightly muffled.

“Dad.. I missed you so much.”

He responded soothingly, his voice melting into immediate regret. “I’m sorry that it took me this long to come back for you. I know.. that things weren’t going so well last year, but I promise that I’m going to make an effort to make things right again. For both you and your mother, Haekyung.”

She nodded, unsure of what else to say as the two eventually parted from each other’s arms a moment later. The boy beside her carefully glanced at her, his heart in tangles and knots at how much her eyes reflected all of the emotions that she had been building up within the years. It was hidden beneath her smile, but he could clearly detect that the girl had been trying her very best to fight it away. Surely, it was inevitable that sadness could sometimes collide with genuine happiness. Like this, he simply understood how she was feeling. Jungkook reached for her hand.

It’s okay, you can let it all out. There’s no need to hide how you feel, he’ll come to understand it.

Haekyung’s smile softly deepened she set her eyes on him, parting her lips to speak before he had the chance to properly introduce himself. “Dad, this is Jungkook. I met him last year in school. It took some time.. but he’s always been looking out for me, and making sure that I’m okay. To be honest, I don’t think I can thank him enough for that, really.” She paused, feeling a bit embarrassed. It was her first time introducing a boy to her father, and let’s face it, she wasn’t exactly doing a great job either. Jungkook glanced at her with amusement, holding back his smile at the same time. The man looked between the two teenagers curiously, clearly getting the hint.

“Oh, and I really wanted you to meet him.” The girl finished awkwardly.

Mr. Min nodded, smiling brightly as he lightly fixed his palm on the tip of the boy’s shoulder. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Jungkook. Thank you so much for taking care of my daughter, I know she can be a bit stubborn and hard to manage at times, since she’s simply used to facing her problems all on her own. I’m sincerely glad that you’re here with her, and committing to this relationship.”

The boy blinked, in slight disbelief at how quick her father had been in already granting approval.

Not that it was a bad thing, of course.

He smiled politely, “Not at all, Mr. Min. I`m just happy that I`m able to spend more time with her. I honestly wouldn`t really know what I`d do without her either, so I guess she just means that much more to me as well. Thanks for being so thoughtful, and it’s very nice to meet you too, sir.”

Haekyung bit her lips with a content smile, delighted that things was going quite well.

The man chuckled softly, waving his hand up in the air dismissively. “Please, no need to be so formal. Just call me Hajoon.” Jungkook nodded with a small grin. “Oh, by the way, my parents also happened to be here with us. They’re parked right outside the airport. We just thought it’d be easier if we could help you with your luggage and give you a safe lift back home. Traffic’s really hectic at this time of the day, trust me.” Hajoon smiled gratefully, “That would be very nice, thank you. I didn’t think that I’d be meeting your family so soon though.” Her father continued shortly,

“Just so you guys know, I approve of the marriage.”

“Dad!” The girl almost gasped, wanting to dig a hole for herself to hide in for coming across such an embarrassing topic. Heck, she was only seventeen. No one actually thought of marriage at that age, did they? The boy beside her laughed softly, “Yeah, but your daughter rejects me a lot.”

Her father shook his head in amusement, “I was just joking, honey. And oh, is that so? Just give it some time, I can assure you that it’s only because my daughter gets shy and embarrassed very easily. She can’t express herself very well at times either. So I’d say, give it about twenty years.”

“Dad, I can hear everything you’re saying!” Haekyung frowned, feeling even more flustered now.

Jungkook simply took note of how adorable she looked every time the girl was embarrassed with herself. He then smiled teasingly, “Hey, you’re right. It might really take twenty years after all.”

Once they reached the car, the boy’s parents warmly greeted Hajoon. Jungkook offered to help set his luggage in the trunk, while Haekyung sat with her father at the back of the car as they settled in. She turned to him hesitantly, “Sorry if it was a little sudden, Dad. I guess it was a little hard for me to tell you about it since I thought it’d be better if you guys could meet face to face.” Mr. Min smiled affectionately, “It’s nothing you should be apologizing for. I’d really love to hear all about it in detail. Your mother would be so happy to hear this.” The girl nodded, smiling softly.

Halfway through the ride back home, Haekyung turned to glance at her father once more, parting her lips to speak. Hearing his daughter’s words, the man’s heart only grew warm in recognition.

“I’m so glad that you’re finally back, Dad.”

 

 

 

---

“We’re so happy that you’re finally able to join us for dinner, we’ve been really looking forward to it!” Mrs. Jeon smiled warmly, lacing her hands together in excitement. Just beside her, Mr. Jeon nodded with enthusiasm as well, “How long are you going be staying? If there’s anything you need at all, you could always come to us.” Hajoon smiled back, grateful. “Is that so? Thank you so much for having me over, I really appreciate the company. I’m thinking of staying for the rest of the year with Haekyung, until I’m able to fly back to check up on her mother sometime next year. I’ll be sure to let you know if I need an extra hand.” The parents deepened their smiles.

“Sounds great! It’ll be so nice to have you over more frequently for dinner with us from now on.”

It was currently 8:00 in the evening and the adults have already occupied their free time with preparing dinner in the kitchen as they happily conversed with one another. The girl’s father had originally planned on getting back home to get some rest and settle in, but the other boy had politely asked if the man would like to have dinner with his family together. And out in the living room, the other two teenagers casually kept each other company in the meantime. The boy gently glanced up from where he had been resting, his head softly resting against the edge of the girl’s lap. Haekyung noticed him staring up at her, peering down at him with a light smile, “Yeah?”

 “Hey, have I told you that my older brother have always wanted to meet you?” Jungkook asked.

She shook her head, blinking once with confusion. “But, haven’t I already met him once before?” The boy nodded with a slight grin, “Yeah, you did. It was a while back when he told me anyways. He wanted me to introduce you to him as a girlfriend though. Funny that it’s actually happened.”

Haekyung let out a soft laugh,

“So you’ve never had any thoughts of possibly being together with me back then as well, huh?”

He gazed up at her disappointedly. “Is that how you felt about me? I’ve actually thought of being together with you almost every single day back then, Haekyung. I guess you just weren’t able to see it yet.” Taken aback with his honest reply, she reached her hand forward to gently caress the tip of the boy’s hair with a soft gaze, “Great, now I just feel guilty for being so clueless about it.”

Jungkook only remained quiet for a few seconds. He then sat up straight, surprising her when he decided to gently give her a kiss over the top of her head. Haekyung blinked, her face turning red.

“You’re so cute when you worry about me, polar bear.” 

“Just why are you always so confusing, Jungkook?” The girl lightly frowned in embarrassment, reaching her hand forward to softly pinch him over one side of his cheek. At times, it was like she could never completely read how the boy had really felt in certain situations, despite his gentle expressions and opposing words. But even so, she was glad that he hadn’t been feeling down by what she had said to him earlier. He smiled softly, directing his lips to the back of the girl’s hand.

Jungkook teased, “Stop thinking so much, your brain might seriously give out one day, you know.”

Haekyung flashed him a closed smile, “I hate you.”

“I hate you more.” The boy laughed, playfully ruffling her hair as he stood up from the couch. She deepened her smile, making her way over to dining room as well. The table hadn’t been set yet, since their parents were still busy trying to finish up the last couple of dishes for dinner. Plus, it didn’t really seem like the others who would be joining them for the meal today had arrived yet.

She turned to him curiously, “Is your older brother coming home for dinner today though?”

The boy met her gaze. “Yeah, he should be here soon. His school campus is actually a bit far from here so that’s why we only really get to see him once or twice a week. But we’re used to it.” Haekyung nodded, “I guess I’d really like to meet him too, then. He seems so different compared to you.” He blinked, almost confused. “Different how?” She shrugged with a small smile, “Do you really want to know?” Jungkook nodded almost immediately, his eyes bright in slight anticipation.

“Well for starters, he’s definitely less annoying.”

He pouted lightly, “Am I seriously annoying to you, polar bear?”

The girl continued, “He seems to be pretty polite too, if I remember correctly. Yup, definitely.”

Jungkook’s face fell, “So now I’m rude as well?”

“Oh yeah, the guy must be quite smart, and athletic as well. And he’s tall too.” Haekyung teased.

“And I’m guessing that I’m really none of those things that you’ve listed just now, huh? Jeez, I’m hurt.” He frowned, crossing his arms. Taken aback by his sudden change in behaviour, the girl blinked, suddenly feeling guilty for making him feel bad about himself even though she had only intended for all of it to come out as a joke. She softened, “Hey, I didn’t mean it like that okay? I only mentioned those traits just now, cause all of them reminded me of you. I can’t exactly think of anyone else who’s that confident, smart, athletic, thoughtful, and insanely annoying but cute.”

Jungkook’s lips curled into a soft smile. He then leaned forward to gently kiss her right on the lips. In response, Haekyung froze, spacing out. Seeing her face, he let out a small laugh, amused.

“You’re forgiven, polar bear.”

Before she had the chance to even reply, their attention was shortly directed elsewhere from the sound of another voice calling out to them from the living room. “Hey, I’m back! Sorry for being so late, I had to settle some things at the dorm.” Jungseok smiled brightly, walking right up to the living room as he pulled on a chair to sit on. The older boy glanced at his younger brother right beside him, then at the other girl who simply stared right back with a smile on the opposite end.

“Hi, Haekyung. It’s nice to see you again.” The boy greeted.

“Yeah, I haven’t seen you since last year. It’s great that you’re here for dinner.” She nodded enthusiastically, gaze bright. Jungseok chuckled, “Aww, thanks. I missed you too! Plus I’m glad to be here when my little brother finally got himself a girlfriend. Just so you know, he’s been single all his life. I actually thought he wouldn’t even get one until he turns thirty. It’s serious, all right.”

Jungkook only frowned back, “Hyung, stop embarrassing me. It’s not even that serious, okay?”

“Yeah, tell that to Mom and Dad.”

Haekyung laughed softly, almost amazed at how good the younger boy’s brother was, at effortlessly making him flustered and speechless. Judging from the way that they were speaking to each other, the girl could clearly see that the two seemed to have a special bond together. In the midst of all the chattering and laughter, dinner was finally ready just ten minutes later. The parents gathered around the dining table, delighted expressions on their faces as they watched their kids dig into the food. Mr. Jeon was quickly distracted once he turned towards the laughing pair at the opposite end of the table. Jungkook grinned, picking up the cooked vegetables on the side of his plate, transferring it one piece at a time to the other girl’s own plate. Haekyung frowned, placing them right back where it had belonged, “Eat your vegetables, you dummy. I’m not eating them for you!” At the same time, Mrs. Jeon turned to the two playfully arguing as well.

She clasped her hands together, her lips set into a warm smile. To her, it was incredibly adorable.

Jungseok glanced at his mother from the sides, shaking his head with a knowing smile. The boy just knew that the woman had something on her mind right about now, and his thoughts were only confirmed when Mrs. Jeon quickly pulled back from her chair, heading straight for the stairs.

Hajoon blinked, slightly confused. “Huh?”

Mr. Jeon just placed his hand on the other man’s shoulder, chuckling heartily. “How’d you like to take a picture with all of us together, as a family?” Mr. Min smiled, “Of course, I’d love to! That sounds like a wonderful idea.” By then, Mrs. Jeon had already made a fast trip to the bedroom just to grab her digital camera. The woman held it in her hands, steadying it in place as she motioned for everyone’s attention, signalling where each of them should preferably stand. Click.

Both fathers stood side by side with warm smiles, arms wrapped around each other’s shoulders.

It simply felt as if time had somehow rewinded back to the past.

Haekyung remained seated in her chair, while Jungkook happily posed right behind her as he lowered himself to match her height, securing her into a hug. The boy grinned softly, tightening his arms around her neck while Jungseok rested the bottom of his hand over the tip of his little brother’s head, ruffling it in place as he posed for the picture as well. When it was taken, everyone separated shortly. Mrs. Jeon passed the camera around for each person to browse the completed picture. Jungkook reached for the camera when his turn came. He studied it with a gentle smile.

The boy turned towards Haekyung, “Wow, I can’t believe you actually smiled in it, polar bear.”

She laughed, “Then should I have frowned again?”

Jungkook shook his head, rather amused. “Nah, just keep smiling. You’re a lot prettier that way.”

Holding the digital camera in his hands, Jungseok zoomed in onto two familiar faces. It focused right away. His younger brother had a rather large smile plastered right across his lips, while the girl just beneath him had a very similar expression matching his as well, the shape of her eyes turning into light crescents. If there was only one way that he could describe what he was currently seeing, it would be that they had simply seemed happy. They looked happy together. Realizing this, Jungseok smiled, calling out to them once he looked up to meet both of their gazes.

Jungkook and Haekyung blinked, turning towards the older boy’s direction with curiosity, “Yeah?”

“Stay happy together for a long time, okay?”

 

 

 

---

“You should really get some rest, Dad. I’ll help you unpack your things.” Haekyung let out softly, gaze warm as she turned to glance at her father, who had been currently kneeled down on one knee just beside her, in the process of ping his travelling luggage on the floor. Hajoon effortlessly turned to his daughter with a warm smile, despite the exhaustion that was beginning to seep in from the fourteen hour flight back home. “It’s alright, honey. I’ll take care of it.” The girl could clearly see a visible shade of dark circles forming underneath the skin of the man’s eyes.

She shook her head lightly, “Go take a shower, It’ll only take me about ten minutes to unpack. I’ll be sure to make you a warm cup of cinnamon tea, it’s your favourite. So remember to come downstairs after you’re finished, okay, Dad?” The man simply blinked back at her words, stunned.

Then came the familiar rush of gratitude and nostalgia.

Even during after all these years of being absent, he’s come to realize that he’ll always be welcomed here. The place that he should have undeniably recognized as home, instead of straying off focus. If he were to simply stay, and learn to appreciate his remaining days here with his daughter, would everything finally go back to the state that they once were? If things remained like this in the future, would their wonderful times and distant memories draw back to the starting point with effort? Just like an empty canvas that had yet to be beautifully decorated.

Would this broken family come to be complete once more? Of course, it will be. Hajoon thought.

The girl’s father smiled at the thought, gazing back into his daughter’s eyes in a loving but gentle manner. Haekyung gradually mirrored the man’s smile, unsure of what to say, even though she grew curious of what it was that had occupied her father’s mind during their short span of silence.

Hajoon deepened his smile. “Thank you, Haekyung.”

And that was all the man had said, as the girl watched her father gather on up his feet, stepping into the bathroom just as he had gently closed the door right behind him a minute later. She felt the curve of her lips reach her eyes, heart growing warm at her father’s words, “You’re welcome.”

Haekyung then dropped her gaze to the pile of belongings just beneath her, reaching her hands into the luggage. Placing a pile of clothes over the edge of her father’s bed, she began to neatly fold them with precision, storing it into the closet and nearby drawers once her work was finished. Taking another look around the room, it seemed that everything was pretty organized so far. She took it as a signal to head downstairs for the kitchen for her next task, her father’s thin coat draping off her arms as she intended on placing it in the coat rack just in the living room. Opening the top cabinet once she’s entered the kitchen, the girl swiftly grabbed a small pack of cinnamon tea, carefully dumping all of the contents into a clean cup before pouring in hot water to melt the ingredients all together. She turned to place the warm drink over the dining room table, pulling out a grey chair for herself to sit on before her movements quieted down in place.

Noticing that her own cup had been sitting on top of the table as well, just right beside her father’s filled one, she simply felt as if that familiar sense of desolation was finally melting away.

From now on, she would no longer have to sit at this very same place by herself.

Just like all of those passing years that she had come to learnt to take care of herself. Even if it meant that she’d only have to endure the constant feeling of unending isolation and emptiness.

The girl just didn’t have a choice.

If not, she’d gradually find herself quickly falling apart, that thick stream of dread pulling her in.

Yeah, he’ll always be here with me from now on.

Dad’s finally here. I guess I won’t have to feel like this anymore. I just hope that you will too, Mom.

Entering her bedroom, Haekyung headed straight for the bed. The girl slowly climbed onto it, the comfort of the soft mattress gradually pulling her in at once. She then adjusted her body into a more comfortable position, leaning her head back onto the cushioned pillow behind her. Once relaxation kicked in, she found herself staring up at the ceiling, mind and heart swelling in peace.

Turning her head to the right, she blinked as the music of her ringtone began to softly play just beside her. The girl then snapped out of her slight daze, shifting over to quickly answer the call.

 

Caller ID: Jungkook, 9:38 pm.

“Hello?” She answered with her soft voice, leaning her back against the support of her bedframe.  

The boy smiled, “What are you doing, polar bear?”

Haekyung casually glanced around her room, reaching over to grab the nearby remote at the same time, “I was just lying down, I guess. But I’m probably going to watch some television now.”

“Really? Can I come over and cuddle with you?” Jungkook teased, grinning softly.

The girl instantly blushed, mouth slightly parted. “What? No! I’m tired, don’t come over, idiot.”

He pouted, lining his back against the support of the coloured bricked walls by the gates. “But I miss you, polar bear. Don’t you know how hard it is for me to fall asleep whenever I think of you?” 

She laughed softly, her heart growing warm.

“What? You just saw me an hour ago, Jungkook. Plus, I’m pretty sure that the first thing I’ll be seeing tomorrow is nothing but your overly excited happy face. How are you always in such a great mood, especially in the mornings?” The girl questioned, shaking her head with amusement.

The boy chuckled lightly. “I guess it just means that I always want to be with you then, Haekyung. And of course I’m always happy to see you, isn’t that how most boyfriends are supposed to feel?”  

Haekyung back, “I can’t completely say that I feel the same way about you though.”

His face fell, “What? I’m seriously going to cry, Haekyung.”

The girl laughed once more, “You’re a grown man, are you really going to cry over such small things? I was just kidding. I feel the exact same way towards you as well, Jungkook. Thank you.”

He smiled, “Hearing you say this really makes me want to give you a hug right now, polar bear.”

She smiled back, “I’ll give you one tomorrow first thing in the morning. So go to sleep, alright?”

“How about giving me one now, Haekyung?”

The girl blinked, slightly taken aback. “Huh? You want one right at this very moment?”

Jungkook nodded with a small chuckle, “Yeah. Right now.”

“But I’m still in my pajamas, what are you talking about?” Haekyung questioned, feeling odd.

He whispered quietly, “Take a look out your window, polar bear.”

Doing exactly as she was told, the girl lightly pulled on her room’s curtains, pushing it to the sides. Haekyung glanced downwards, fixing her view to the front gate of her home. She then spotted the familiar silhouette by the coloured bricked walls that lined the marbled pavements. Jungkook glanced back up at her as well, a gentle smile set on his lips. The girl could only blink, astonished.

Just how long had he been waiting there? And had he even been waiting for her in the first place?

The boy deepened his smile, “If you don’t plan on sleeping yet, want to go for a little walk?”

Hearing what he had just said, she instantly sat up. Haekyung headed straight for her closet, casually grabbing a thin jacket along the way as she worked her way out of her pajamas. Pocketing her house keys into the back of her white jeans, she walked out of the bedroom with her phone pressed against her ears. Just on the other end of the line, he calmly waited for her answer, fixing his gaze up at the pleasant glow of the evening stars planted in the deep blue sky.

Slipping into her shoes by the doorway, she unlocked the door of her home. The girl then smiled.

“Yeah. I’d love to go for a walk, Jungkook.”

 

 

 

---

“What’s that you’re holding behind your back?” The girl blinked, pointing towards the object that had slightly tilted outwards from the boy’s back. He flashed her a soft smile, both hands gently grasping onto the small bouquet of fresh flowers behind him as she stared back at him with curiosity. Jungkook then revealed what he had been holding a minute later, lowering his eyes to the floor as he bit his lower lips, feeling somewhat nervous despite how calm he had looked. It was honestly his first time getting this kind of gift for someone who he had truly come to treasure.

He deepened his smile, “Here. I got this for you earlier, polar bear. It’s a present, okay? Take it.”

Haekyung reached for the boy’s present, gradually softening in place as she inspected his gift up close. She realized it was a small bouquet of white daisies, with a single red lollipop pinned right into the center of it, bringing out the vibrant colour of the candy as it embraced the whiteness surrounding it. She glanced back up with a gentle smile, the length of her smile reaching her eyes.

 “Thank you, Jungkook. It’s beautiful, I love it.”

The boy instantly reached out for her left hand, softly locking them together in place. The two walked right beside one another hand in hand, small smiles evident on their faces. The endless greenery, as well as the fully bloomed flowers surrounding them were indications that spring was still at its very peak of the season. During this time of the day, the neighbourhood simply felt peaceful. Their night was also accompanied by the soothing wind and air that would occasionally brush them both by, working to calm their hearts and minds. Haekyung eventually fixed her gaze downwards, her eyes once more captivated by the simplistic beauty of the flower just right below her. She held it closer to her chest with her free hand, gently embracing it as she parted her lips to speak. Hearing her voice, Jungkook gradually shifted his view towards her just a minute later.

“Hey, why’d you suddenly decide to get me these daisies? It’s so different from all of the other things that I’ve received from you in the past.” She asked, gaze still intently admiring the flowers.

He shrugged, lightly grinning. “I guess they remind me of you, Haekyung.”

The girl blinked in disbelief, “They do?”

“Yup. To me, they’re really simple, beautiful, and pure. In a way, they’re unique. Just like you.”

Haekyung felt as if her heart had literally just flipped a hundred times, the colour of her face gradually turning bright red. The boy beside her was quick to notice her reaction, chuckling softly as he glanced down at her dazed expression. She eventually snapped out of her daze, her lips curling into a genuine smile, a surreal sense of air clouding her thoughts. To her, it felt quite nice.

“And what about this red lollipop?” The girl inquired next, swiftly changing the subject in time.

“Oh that? It’s to celebrate our first year together, polar bear.”

“Really? Then what about the first one that you got me last year then, Jungkook?” She grinned.

He paused to think, “That one doesn’t really count, okay? Plus, you weren’t even happy to receive it in the first place. I’m still surprised that you haven’t thrown it out, despite how much you hated me back then.” She blinked at his words, her heart in knots as the guilt slowly reached her eyes.

“I didn’t hate you, okay?” Haekyung corrected softly.

The boy turned to look at her once more, his eyes melting into hers. He thought she just looked so damn adorable whenever he was met with that familiar gaze of hers that spelt guilt and confusion. Jungkook raised a brow, trying his best to bite back a soft smile in the process as he began to like he normally would. He then playfully tightened his hold around her hand.

He whispered, “Then did you love me, polar bear?”

The girl gaped, completely dumbfounded by his unexpected question, unaware that he was just teasing her. She cleared , “What? No, I didn’t love – Okay, I didn’t hate you at all. I – “

Jungkook gently smiled, fairly amused. “So if you didn’t hate me or love me, then what was it?”

She almost slapped her own forehead out of pure confusion and embarrassment, but quickly remembered that both of her hands were currently occupied. Haekyung then bit the inside of her cheeks, feeling somewhat flustered. “I just – I don’t know, okay? I guess it was a little bit of both at times, but I had always steered towards the feeling of like more than hate, so don’t let it bother you.. alright? Yeah, I just wanted you to know that my feelings have changed overtime.”

The boy flashed her a soft grin, “Is that so? Thanks for being honest with me then, Haekyung.”

The girl shook her head, a similar smile playing on her lips. “I’m sorry for being so confusing, Jungkook. If you haven’t already noticed, I’m not really great at expressing what I actually feel.”

“Stop apologizing for being yourself, polar bear.”

Haekyung gazed up at him when he had momentarily unlocked their hands, reaching over to affectionately ruffle her hair as he calmly comforted her. She simply deepened her smile, grateful.

He pulled back just a second later, flashing her a playful grin. “Oh, and by the way, I love you too.”

Hearing what he had said, her eyes rounded in place.

She then laughed out loud, heartbeat exhilarating as she softly hit him back on the arm in a playful manner, chasing after him towards the swings once they had arrived at their favourite local park.

“I seriously hate you, how do you always manage to make me feel so flustered and speechless?”

Jungkook playfully rolled his eyes, “Seriously? I just told you that I love you, and this is the kind of response that I get? Jeez, that’s it. I’m getting my revenge on you, Haekyung.” He gently pulled her in as he landed a small kiss over the sides of her cheek, startling her. She just stared back at him in slight shock, dumbfounded. However, that initial shock disappeared as quickly as it came.

“You’re so dead, idiot!” Haekyung burst out laughing, gently kissing him right back on the cheeks.

The boy blinked, his lips curling into a delighted smile.

He didn’t even realize that the colour of his cheeks had somehow already turned a shade lighter, his gaze temporarily meeting the ground as the rate of his heart picked up in place. He then looked up, walking over to join her by the swings as she occupied the empty seat on her left like she normally would. Jungkook’s hands softly met her back, gently pushing her forward as he gave her a boost. Haekyung turned around to gaze up at him, smiling softly. “It’s okay, go find a seat.”

He shook his head, grinning playfully. “You know that I’d rather push you instead, polar bear.”

The girl deepened her smile, turning to face forward once more as he stood behind her, making sure to occasionally give her a small push every now and then. Since they were the only ones at the park during this time of the day, the area around them was considerably quiet, but calm at the same time, knowing that they had steadily grown used to each other’s company within time.

Jungkook asked, “Is your dad settling in alright? If you guys need anymore help, just let me know.”

She nodded with a small smile, her gaze soft as she stared out into the distance of the playground. “Yeah, he’s just resting up right now. It’s okay, you don’t have to worry about us, things are fine at home. But thank you, it means a lot to know that you’ll always be here for us. I really appreciate it.” The boy behind her let out a soft chuckle, his smile easily reaching his eyes. You’re welcome.

“Of course I’ll always be there for my polar bear. If not, who else would take care of her, huh?”

Haekyung laughed, “Yeah, yeah.”

They spent their remaining time together at the park, enjoying each other’s company. In the midst of all the happy chattering and pleasant atmosphere that they had built, something else suddenly struck the girl’s mind, causing her to gradually lose focus. Perhaps it was uncertainty, unease, and the single feeling of being afraid. Realizing how quiet it was, he blinked, glancing down to see that Haekyung had her head hung low, gaze connected to the sand beneath her as she slowly drowned herself in with her thoughts, motionless. Jungkook lightly softened, unsure of whether he should confront her about it, or to simply grant her the silence that she seemed to have needed the most. Deciding that he’d be there to comfort her, the boy parted his lips to speak. But before he even had the chance to reach out to her, she had already beaten him to it.

The girl whispered, “I know it seem that everything is fine at this point, and that my dad’s finally back. It’s honestly what I’ve always been waiting for after all these years. I should be feeling happy and content about it, but a small part of me is afraid.. I’m scared that the bright future ahead of me will only shatter in place, just like all of the other times in the past that I have already come to experienced. I’m coming to terms with myself that maybe I’ll continue to fall like this.”

He listened to her intently, feeling as if his heart was going to crack at the way she was currently breaking down by herself like this. His hands behind her back gradually ceased with movement.

She breathed, “I’m scared, not knowing if my mom will be able to fully recover.”

“The fact that I can’t be there for her hurts me more than the fact that she’s not here with me.”

Jungkook remained lightly still, his gaze connected to her back. Hands gently fixed on her shoulders, he quietly whispered back, “It might only seem that way for now, since you’re still gradually learning what it’s like to embrace change. I know it’s not easy, but if you are willing to give yourself just a little bit more time, things will definitely change for the better. You just need to firmly believe that you can truly be happy again. All it takes is time and effort to achieve that.”

Haekyung blinked, softening in place as her mind began to replay his words over and over again.

It had simply felt comforting.

The boy swiftly made his way around her, lightly crouching down beside her as he bent one knee forward onto the soft pavement of the ground. Facing her with a soft gaze, he gradually reached out for her hands, linking it together with his as he calmly gazed into her insecure eyes. Instead, he had wanted nothing more but to replace that expression of hers with delight and reassurance in return. He wanted to see her smile again. The one smile that had meant the world to him, then and now. Perhaps it was his chance to finally let her know just how much he had cared about her.

“If anything were to ever go wrong in the future, I just want you to know that you’ll always have me and my family’s support, including the boys. Don’t forget that we’ll always be there for you.”

Jungkook then gently pulled her in for a kiss, brushing his lips against hers.

He pulled back just a minute later, flashing her a genuine smile in the process. Haekyung lightly froze, her heart simply soaring right into the sky. Seeing her adorable reaction, the boy deepened his smile. He reached out for her hands once more, positioning himself back into a small crouch.

“Everything will be okay from now on, Haekyung. I promise.” He whispered with a sincere tone.

Soon enough, the corners of her lips began to curl into a soft smile. His words had meant a lot to her. At this point, it simply gave her encouragement. That feeling of despair and emptiness slowly faded off into the distance, rendering her heart clean. The girl was thankful to know that he would always be there by her side, despite all of the good and bad. As if they were sincerely committed to each other right from the very beginning. Haekyung instantly leaned forward, lightly kissing him back right on the lips. She gently positioned her arms around him, pulling him in for a soft embrace. Leaning her head onto the tip of his shoulder, the girl lightly smiled into the boy’s jacket.

“Thank you, Jungkook.”