The Perfect Present

Teased

 

The Perfect Present

 

Tiredly slipping her converses off, she slowly made way her into the living room. The girl reached where the telephone answering machine was placed, just on the surface of the wooden table.

Somehow, she had an empty feeling that things this year were going to be exactly the same.

The same as her previous past birthdays, that she had eventually learnt to spend alone, though it was painful. Growing up, all Haekyung had ever wanted was just a little acknowledgement and affection. Things that would prove that the emptiness of her life wasn’t meant to be.

Just a little would do, so why was it so difficult?

Her sad gaze dropped to the machine, reaching an arm out in hesitation.

Even though she knew what the outcome was, her heart never failed to reject what she lacked. So, how much worse could it have been, if the girl were to hear those very same words again?

Figuring that it’s been years, nothing would really change the way she had felt right now.

The machine sounded with a simple click of her fingers grazing over the top of the messages recorded button. Haekyung felt heavy at the silence she received, until her eyes finally lightened.

“Hi darling, I know you’re probably really looking forward for us to come back and celebrate your birthday with you, so we’ll be doing just that tomorrow! This time, we promise.

We’re really sorry that we’ve always got so much on our hands.

Thank you for always being so mature and understanding with us, Haekyung. See you soon.”

 

Her heart soon thumped lightly against her chest, blinking just a couple of quick times to confirm if the things that her parents had just told her were true or not. Hopefully, it was.

Because, the girl found herself slowly crack a smile filled with so many emotions all at once.

The ones that weren’t so easily to be described.

In other words, Haekyung actually felt happy for once. For all the times that both her parents have always broken their promises, her growing distance towards them only continued to pile up, causing the walls around her to strengthen within time. She just didn’t know how to escape.

So, did it mean that the tower she had built for herself was finally able to collapse and break free?

Feeling delighted, Haekyung’s smile slowly reached her ears.

Her gaze was currently still locked with the phone beneath her as she heaved a tiny sigh, relieved that her broken experience wouldn’t have to repeat itself. She just didn’t want to spend it alone.

This year, things would finally be alright.

 

 

 

 

---

Friday finally came, and it was a day that she would excitedly able to look forward to.

Pushing forth the door of her empty classroom, Haekyung wasn’t surprised that she was the first one to arrive, seeing she had practically made it just twenty minutes before the start of class.

First period was apparently cancelled due to her English teacher being sick.

So right about now, the girl was just patiently waiting for her next class to start, which was Art.

Leaning her back against the chair, Haekyung lightly rested the bottom of her chin with one palm, eyes casually glancing over at the clock hung against the wall on her far right. It ticked slowly.

She sighed, a small smile hung at the corner of her lips.

Honestly, the day was going by pretty slowly, but it didn’t bother her at all, seeing that there were other things to keep her mind occupied on. Of course, it’d be the thought of her parents.

Last night, she almost couldn’t fall asleep, the content feeling still lingering through her mind.

However, Haekyung blinked when she felt the buzzing of her phone sound against the pocket of her uniform blazer. Reaching an arm in to pull it out, she unlocked it only to see a new message.

Like earlier, it was sent by her dad.

 

“I know we’ve promised you that we’d be flying back to celebrate, but some urgent things came up… and you know how important our work is to us, so some things needs to be taken care of first. There’ll always be a next time, so please don’t be upset. I’m so sorry, Haekyung.

Next time, both your mother and I would definitely be there.”

Placing the phone on the surface on her lap, her gaze instantly flew downwards, smile gradually fading in place. The girl didn’t even know how to feel or react right now, as her hands tightened.

The next time.

Just how many times have she already heard this line by now?

Haekyung was so dreadfully tired of hearing it being repeated year after year. It didn’t help the fact that her parents had just promised her that they would finally be here today with her.

But no, instead of that, it was the same pitiful excuse she had to unexpectedly face once more.

Of course she had respected what her parents worked so hard for during the build-up of the years that they have been away from home. But why did it hurt so much to know that they were simply too busy for her once more? Was what she have always wanted too much for ask for?

Staring down at the phone in her hand, her eyes returned to what they once were.

It was laced with hurt, emptiness, and frustration.

Haekyung hung her head low, both her hands clutching tightly onto the sides of her phone as she forced back the urge to break down. Yeah, she was reserved, but it didn’t mean that the girl herself didn’t have any limits whatsoever. It’d only be surprising to see how much one could take.

Just like that, the day that she thought was finally going to be meaningful for once, came crashing down along with the lack of her thoughts to process what to feel anymore.

Right now, there was nothing else she could do to comfort herself, than to force a small smile.

You’ll be alright this time too, Haekyung.  

 

 

 

---

He couldn’t really focus on the lesson at all.

The boy’s soft gaze would linger on every so often from Mrs. Choi, then right back to her. The way she had her hands laced above her desk, with those pair of eyes expressionlessly glancing at the board of the classroom didn’t seem to be quite normal at all. He’s never seen her this way.

Jungkook momentarily looked away, exhaling a small breathe of air as he tried to pay attention.

However, he wasn’t the only one who had just so carefully been studying the girl beside him, as the other boy on her right glanced at her, biting his lips in thought while he processed the look on her face. Taehyung could only wonder what was going through her mind, seeing her this quiet.

Okay, the girl was usually not that talkative anyways, but from the start of class up until now, she practically hadn’t said a word to either of the two as she was seemingly in her own world, dazed.

Haekyung remained still at her seat, looking out into nowhere in particular.

It may have seemed like she was just staring at the board for the longest time, but the truth was, she was too busy being preoccupied with her own thoughts, still lost for words to say.

Usually, she handled these kind of situations well, but this time, it was just different.

Not when she could only avoid so much, and not feel an ounce of frustration invade her mind and heart. Being good at controlling her own emotions didn’t mean it’d actually last forever.

Right now, she just wanted some time alone to herself.

Not having to think, speak, or feel.

Bothered with the way she was acting, Jungkook slightly moved towards her direction, their shoulders softly brushing as he positioned the legs of his chair closer to where Haekyung sat.

He then nudged her arm, trying to catch her attention so that he’d be able to read her.

Because right now, he couldn’t even tell what she was going through. If he was good at concealing his emotions, then it’d only be surprising that he couldn’t figure what the girl beside him was feeling. The expression painted on her face only allowed the boy himself to grow concerned.

Eventually, she faintly blinked in reply, slowly turning her head towards his direction.

Jungkook carefully whispered to her in a quiet tone, “What’s wrong?”

However, she only stared into those dark brown eyes of his as if she had gotten lost in them. The way he stared at her made herself felt uneasy. His gaze was warm, focused, and caring.

Probably only on her, seeing that he kept a steady gaze with the quiet girl beside him.

Haekyung had her lips sealed tightly shut. But that was when he saw the curve of her lips hesitantly rise, shaking her head slowly in reply to his answer as if she was completely fine.

“Nothing.” She brushed the matter off, as if it wasn’t even worth her time anymore. It shouldn’t have anyway. The girl just wished that she’d didn’t have to feel so down on her own birthday.

But, it wasn’t like life was always fair, right?

So doing what she always does best, Haekyung held back her frustrations with a soft sigh.

Honestly, Jungkook didn’t even buy her answer as he had his arms crossed, back leaning against the sturdiness of his chair while he had this urge to fully frown at her, as if he was unsatisfied with her answer. Sometimes, the boy really just wished that the girl wouldn’t lie to him anymore.

After all, he did say that he’d always be there for her. He was willing to keep that promise.

Because she meant everything to him.

But hey, it wasn’t like Haekyung knew that anyway, seeing how greatly dense she could be at times. Besides, he liked the way things were now, since they were slowly opening up towards one another whether either of the two knew it or not. Yeah, they both were really just that confusing.

Jungkook sighed, a small frown playing on his lips. “Could you stop lying to me, polar bear?”

Eventually, the girl glanced back at him in silence, shaking her head at him, as if there were other important things to focus on other than her. She didn’t want to burden him with her useless troubles. Sure, she might have found herself unknowingly relying on him once in a while.

But that didn’t mean she’d want to take advantage of that.

Haekyung then cracked a soft smile in response, pointing a finger over at the front of the classroom, where apparently, Mrs. Choi had been so busily blabbing on to her favourite class.

“Just pay attention to class, idiot.”

 

 

 

---

Right in the middle of settling down onto the couch in the living room, she blinked in surprise when the doorbell of her home started ringing multiple times, not at all expecting anyone to visit.

Who is it? I don’t remember inviting anyone.

Placing the cup of milk tea she had been drinking down onto the coffee table, the girl then hopped off of her seat, making her way over to open the front door. Reaching forward to place her hand over the door handle, Haekyung slowly opened it only to reveal the person who she had least expected to show up. When their eyes met, the boy lit up with an affectionate smile.

Standing right in front of her, she found herself studying him from head to toe.

He was fully dressed in a simple blue checkered shirt, matched with slim black jeans, a pair of white kicks and a black snapback to top it all off. The girl unknowingly looked down at what she was wearing in comparison, which was a light grey set of a hoodie, and matching sweatpants.

She was totally wearing comfortable clothes suited for relaxing in the house, while the boy looked like he had been planning to go out all day or something. He then noticed her staring.

Jungkook cracked a teasing smile, “What, do I look handsome today?”

Yeah, he did. But it wasn’t like the girl was just going to tell him straight out like that. It’d be kind of weird and embarrassing. So, she was only okay with keeping her thoughts to herself.

Haekyung coughed rather awkwardly, turning her head the other way in response. “Nope.”

“Well, you look adorable.” He ignored what she had said, and chuckled teasingly when he stretched a palm out to lightly grab hold of the edge of her sweater’s hood, pulling it over her head in the process. Looking at her, the girl kind of looked funny with herself all covered up.

She blinked, suppressing the urge to turn a shade lighter at his words. Huh?

It kind of obvious that the boy had never really bothered to compliment people before, so she was sort of surprised. And what’s with that silly grin on his face? Because she found herself cracking the slightest smile in return, though the girl wasn’t even totally aware of it. How funny.

Sensing how quiet she was, Jungkook shook his head with a small laugh, reaching for her hand.

Naturally lacing their hands together, he brought it over to his side as he swung them up and down playfully, parting his lips to speak. “Get dressed, we’re leaving.” Her mind went blank.

Wait, going where?

Then the girl’s thoughts drifted towards something else. Their linked hands. It caused a light tinge of redness to surface on her cheeks, although she didn’t want to show it at all. Ugh.

What’s with this guy all of a sudden?

However, she never really had the thought to pull her hand away at the moment.

Haekyung arched a brow, totally confused. “Going where? I still have homework to do.” At this, the boy only lightly rolled his eyes at her, pulling her forward. How could she choose to stay home all day when it was her birthday? How hilarious. Don’t people usually go out to celebrate?

Okay, he only knew it was the girl’s birthday because he somewhat found out when the girl’s best friend, Jaein, mentioned it while they were casually having a normal conversation a while back.

So it’s always been in his mind and heart to remember.

“Screw homework, you can do them later.” Jungkook clicked his tongue nonchalantly.

Haekyung laughed quietly, shaking her head. “Easy for you to say, since you don’t even need the practice.” His face lit up with a small smile, inching forward to . “So you think I’m smart?”

She stared at him blankly, resisting the urge to laugh. “Just stop talking already, Jungkook.”

He playfully scoffed, throwing her a small frown as he released their hands, slipping his shoes off at the doorway before heading over to the coat rack to softly throw a random jacket around her shoulders. Was this some sort of a habit now? Because Haekyung still looked confused as ever.

Seriously, where was he going to take her anyways? It’s a Friday, and she was tired.

He then sauntered back over to her side, placing both palms over the top of her shoulders as he locked the doors for her, pushing her forward as if he was rushing her to get moving. The girl yelped in surprised, turning her head back to question him suspiciously in a light voice.

“Where the heck are you taking me, Jungkook?”

Jungkook flashed her a small smile, turning her head back towards the front with his index finger, while he continued to lightly push her towards the closest bus stop. Okay, he kind of wanted it to be a surprise. That’s probably why he didn’t really bother to actually answer her question.

“Just keep walking, polar bear. Be patient, would you?” The boy laughed softly.

Haekyung groaned inwardly, a small smile hanging on her lips while she reluctantly sighed. Okay, maybe this was a lot better than staying at home all day. It was her birthday after all. Right?

“Fine. I’ll stop asking, you moron.”

 

 

 

---

Arriving at their destination, the boy pulled her up from her seat, wrapping an arm around the girl’s neck as they got off bus. Haekyung instantly strained her neck to the sides, growing nervous at their close distance while the boy didn’t look affected at all. But then her eyes flew towards where they were currently standing, eyes lighting up at what greeted her from afar. Whoa.

It was an amusement park sign, the heavy loaded entrance right up ahead, with people lined up.

She’s seen this place on the television before, since they were advertising a newly opened location, which was surprisingly where they were at, seeing how much freaking people there were. Her eyes slowly scanned the place around, brows furrowing in slight bewilderment.

Wait, they weren’t going to actually line up, right? It’d take at least two hours!

“Chill, I’ve got a set of tickets already. Just follow me, okay?” Jungkook almost laughed out loud at her dazed expression, her jaw gaping wide open at the crowded place. How insanely cute.

Haekyung turned to him instantly, raising a brow. “Why do you have tickets in the first place?”

Hearing what she had just said, the boy only rolled his eyes at her. “Because I wanted to come here with you, idiot. Isn’t it obvious? Seriously, we don’t have all day. So, let’s go already.”

Grumbling out loud when she couldn’t properly reply, she felt him pushing her towards the entrance of the amusement park, entering the massively packed place with their set of tickets.

Why are we even here?

Looking around, Haekyung bit her lips as she viewed at all the things that this place offered. From the numerous food stands, arcades, rides, shows, and even the funny looking mascots that stood around handing balloons and flyers over to random people who passed by in this place.

Okay, maybe she really liked this more than she would have thought.

Heck, it was an amusement park after all. Who wouldn’t want to come here and have a little fun?

Studying the girl right beside him, he had this urge to break out into a full smile. He knew she was feeling down today, though it was her own birthday, and to see her pull a slightly happy expression for once made him felt a bit more relieved. Good thing he pre-ordered these things.

They were freaking hard to get, and expensive. But whatever, it’s not like he really cared.

All he cared about was her.

For a while, they just walked side by side, both somewhat amused by the things that were going on around them. Some kids screamed past them, shrieking in joy as they chased each other with cotton candies in their hands, laughing happily. Jungkook and Haekyung exchanged glances.

She instantly looked away, trying not to make it too obvious that she wanted one.

Ugh, what has food done to her?

He only had to stare at her for one second, to know what she was thinking. Haha, as expected.

Shaking his head at the way she bit her lips at the thought of food, he pulled out the wallet that he stored behind the back pocket of his jeans while he softly pulled her with him towards the nearby food vendor. The male worker looked up at them, a polite smile spread across his lips.

“Hi, what would you like to order? We have all sorts of sweets available here today.”

“Just one cotton candy would do, thanks.” Jungkook replied nonchalantly, pulling out a couple of bills before handing it over to the guy. Staring right up at him, Haekyung blinked in confusion.

Wait, was he going to buy one for her?

She eventually felt a small smile take over her features, not sure as to why she felt much lighter.

Honestly, the girl was actually in a terrible mood just earlier throughout the day, but now that he had brought her here, this place really brought life to her. Somehow, Haekyung was feeling a lot better than she had been, a soft inner voice playing in her head that only she could hear.

Thank you, Jungkook.

The boy eventually turned to her with a raised brow when he noticed how dazed she look. Did she have a short attention span or something? Haha. Poking her lightly on the cheek, she blinked.

“Here’s your cotton candy, polar bear. So don’t sulk anymore, alright?”

Haekyung stared at what he was handing over to her, an uncertain expression plastered on her face while she looked back over at the candy stand, to see the same guy resume working.

She then glanced up at Jungkook. “What happened to your own?” The boy then cracked a grin.

“We’re sharing this one.” He pointed at the one she held.

Her face instantly fell, “What?! But I want my own.” Jungkook just stared at her for a few seconds before he burst out in soft laughter. Oh, just why he so happy whenever she was with him?

The boy didn’t even know how to explain this feeling. It was strange at first, but he liked it.

One that only Haekyung could bring out of him, though he found himself slowly give in to her. He just somehow wished that the girl knew what he thought, and felt towards her. But she didn’t.

Don’t you know just how special you are to me, Haekyung?

His blank expression of when he was in thought then casually reverted back to that familiar smile, having the urge to tease the girl he liked being around with the most. Honestly, if it wasn’t her, then it surely wouldn’t have been anyone else. Just what could he say?

The boy just loved to play around with her that much. Yup, haha. No doubt about that.

Jungkook rolled his eyes playfully, “Jeez, you’re such a pig. No wonder your cheeks are squishy.”

Haekyung scoffed, a small frown hanging on her lips as she crossed her arms at him to defend herself. “What?! Hey, I’m not a pig, you idiot. Stop calling me chubby.” He just laughed at her.

Her frown deepened at the way he couldn’t stop laughing, as if the air was knocked out of him.

Ugh. What’s so freaking funny?

However, instead of expecting the boy to retort and fight back like usual, he made her heart unknowingly flip when he surprisingly pulled her close to him, slipping his arms around her neck as he rested the bottom of his chin over the top of her head. Haekyung froze, biting her lips in nervousness. Was he going to make fun of her again like normally would? Great, how confusing.

“That just makes you my chubby polar bear then, don’t you think?”

Casually releasing his hold around her neck as if he hadn’t felt nervous with his actions at all, he didn’t notice the dazed look on her face, as if she was totally drained from the confusion and shock playing with her all at once. What the heck? It just made her tune out like an idiot.

It only took a couple of seconds for her to snap out of her blank gaze, staring up at the boy.

“Can you stop hugging me whenever you feel like it?! I didn’t even want one from you.”

Okay, maybe she sort of lied. Back then, whenever the boy did things like this out of the blue, the girl always found herself pushing him away. However, this time, she actually felt okay with it, even though her brain was about to give out from all the blood that rushed up to her face.

Just wow, couldn’t she have controlled it better?

At this, Jungkook just raised a brow at her teasingly, his smile radiating while he shook his head.

“Why are you always so mean to me, polar bear? Don’t you know that it just makes me want to hug you more?” He took a step over, so that they were standing face to face. She uneasily gulped.

Sometimes, Haekyung couldn’t tell if he was only messing around with her, or if he had meant it.

That’s what confused her heart and mind the most. Honestly, it did.

Sensing that she didn’t really know what to say in response, the boy then nonchalantly leaned forward, an adorable smile lit up on his face while he gazed at her playfully. “Want another hug?”

That instantly made her almost gasp out loud, flickering her gaze up at him while frowning.

Haekyung looked like a nervous wreck, trying hard to contain her emotions from flying all over the place. Jeez, since when was she so bad at hiding her emotions? Apparently, all the time now.

However, what she had muttered out in a flash only caused the boy to laugh out uncontrollably.

“No! I swear, if you do that again, then you’re so dead!”

 

 

 

---

Walking side by side, the two’s eyes were still currently distracted by everything else going around them once more. They didn’t even notice that their shoulders would occasionally brush against one another’s every so often. The sun in the sky was about to set, yet either of the two had really wanted to leave just yet. Softly glancing down at her, his lips slowly curved upwards.

Busy eating her own blue cotton candy with her left hand, Haekyung held the green dinosaur that Jungkook had so “nicely” won for her just an hour ago, betting that he wouldn’t be able to do it.

Hah, who was she kidding though? This boy was seriously good at everything.

Noticing that he had been intently watching her, her eyes flew upwards to see him mirror her actions while he also took small bites out of his own cotton candy. He had to buy another one as well, seeing that the girl was way too stubborn to share one with him. He just continued to stare.

“What? Is there something on my face?” Haekyung raised a brow at him, hoping that he’d stop.

Jungkook shook his head, casually looking away. “Not really. Just thinking about how much the dinosaur suits you, since you’re just that fierce.” He finished his sentence with a playful smirk.

“I didn’t even want a dinosaur, you idiot.” Haekyung scoffed.

“Well, would you have wanted the white polar bear then?” He responded back teasingly.

Okay, it was enough that the boy had always called her that, much-less actually ever give up that freaking nickname. Heck, she didn’t want to be reminded of herself if he did win that one instead.

Haekyung rolled her eyes, “Hell no.”

Feeling content, he just laughed while he nudged her arm, “Then learn to love the dinosaur.”

She laughed quietly to herself, “Can I name it after you? I think I’d like that.”

His face slightly lit up, face blank as he turned to her a second later. Jungkook then flashed her a small smile, “And what would that be?” Somehow, he was curious as to what she’d name it after.

Her laugh became louder in an instant, “Royal moron?”

Jungkook’s face fell just like that, sporting a small frown. “Are you serious? No. I don’t like it.”

Haekyung shrugged her shoulders at him, as if she wasn’t going to change her mind. Haha, sometimes, it was kind of funny and cute how the boy could be so childish and responsive.

“Royal moron, let’s go to that haunted house.” She gave the stuffed-animal in her arms a light squeeze, moving over to the pretty long line just on her right, somehow ditching the boy right behind. Jungkook rolled his eyes, trailing after her while he casually slung an arm over her neck.

Haekyung stiffened at once, turning to him in surprise.

“Let’s go on that instead.” He pointed at the running Ferris wheel just on the opposite side.

The girl looked towards the direction he gazed at, making a face as she turned back over to glance at him, “No, that’s boring!” Jungkook just stared at her, while shaking his head. He then pouted.

“Haunted houses are stupid. They’re not even scary!” The boy argued back.

Haekyung rolled her eyes at him, but couldn’t help the slight smile from forming on her face as she witnessed the look on his face. “Well then, you’re stupid.” He only narrowed his eyes at her.

Releasing her from his hold, Jungkook then raised a brow at her, reaching an arm out.

She only stared at his hand placed mid-air, wondering what he was trying to do. Parting her lips to question him, Haekyung tilted her head to the side in confusion. “What are you doing?”

He cracked a small smile, “Rock, Paper, and Scissors. Winner picks where they want to go.”

Haekyung scoffed, stretching her arm out in compliance, “Fine.”

This is totally to get back at all those times that the boy has effortlessly won over her. Definitely.

However, her jaw instantly dropped to the floor while the countdown was over, her paper totally getting owned by the scissors that Jungkook pulled without a second thought. Are you serious?!

Ugh, I need to stop losing!

Haekyung stared at him blankly, groaning in frustration. “I hate you, did you know that?”

In response, the boy only shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly, a content smile on his face. For some reason, he actually really wanted to ride the “supposedly boring” Ferris wheel, but at least he’d get to be alone with her, right? The freaking noises and shouts around them were ear-piercing, and he was starting to get slightly irritated. But now, he’d be able to tolerate it.

Jungkook then glanced down at her with his gentle eyes, lips forming into a captivating smile.

“Not as much as I hate you.”

 

 

 

---

From high above the ground, her eyes delicately took in the breath-taking view just below her.

Okay, maybe this wasn’t such a bad idea after all.

The scenery sure did the trick in solving her grumpy mood. Just right beside her, the boy’s eyes were also casually fixed through the window, taking in the entire area surrounding them. The sun was currently setting, and it only made the mesmerizing glow painted across the sky unfold.

Either of the two said a word, attention effortlessly given in to the comforting silence that lingered.

But that was when the boy shifted in his seat, arms loosely falling through the straps of his black backpack that he carried around with him for a while, pulling out a familiar grey sketchbook.

What’s that weird noise?

Hearing the strange noises he made, the girl eventually found herself turning towards him, while he did the same as he placed the sketchbook on the surface of his lap, palms resting over it.

Jungkook intently watched her face change to that familiar blank expression plastered on.

He bit his lower lip in thought, slightly nervous as he held the sketchbook in his hands, wondering if he could really do this right here and now. How would she react to it when she sees it though?

He just hoped that she’d come to like it. Because he’s spent a whole week on it.

“What’s that?” Haekyung’s gaze slowly fell to the book still placed in the exact place, but not long before the boy brought it up higher, silently flipping the book to the last page on the back.

When he was finished, Jungkook glanced at her, bringing it over to her side so that she could have a better look at it. However, the once blank expression painted on the girl’s face gradually changed in response, half-surprised and stunned at what he was showing her. Wait a minute…

Just on the page before her, the canvas showed a close-up view of herself drawn.

She took in the details of the sketch, eyes unknowingly tracing every line and colour that was carefully added, showing how much patience and time it must have required. Her gaze softened.

Somehow, the image seemed familiar to her.

There was a blue butterfly softly resting against the sides of her head, while she had a slight smile plastered on. It reminded her of the time when she was with Taehyung on the camping trip.

But that couldn’t be correct, right? That was only when it were the two of them on the canoe.

However, it didn’t really matter to her right now, seeing that now, what was placed in her hands had succeeded in captivating her. Slowly, her lips effortlessly curved into a sincere smile, with it reaching her eyes as she didn’t say a word. Had she ever seen something so beautiful before?

Studying her reaction, he eventually fell silent, not knowing what to say.

Her authentic smile had unknowingly struck a chord in his heart, one that was never really quite reachable for as long as he could remember. Seeing her like this, it only made him fall harder.

…What are you doing to me, Haekyung?

At this moment, Jungkook had somehow just engraved her wonderful smile into the center of his heart, hoping that the image won’t eventually fade. Not knowing he had been gazing at her for longer than he had intended to, Haekyung felt startled, turning to the boy in slight confusion.

“When did you – “ She didn’t really what to say, seeing how she was still surprised.

In contrary, he knew what she was trying to ask, though he felt slightly embarrassed at the sight of revealing his drawing of her, a drawing that he had been so dedicatedly working on over the past week even though school had kept him pretty busy. But even so, he still worked on it.

Now that it was finished, Jungkook felt a lot more content than when he had first expected.

That one smile made his own world turn, delicately shaking the boy’s heart. He then slowly snapped out of it, not really wanting to make it too obvious that he felt something for her.

His lips gradually formed into a soft smile, not regretting the effort he spent on the drawing.

Totally worth my time.

Jungkook then parted his lips to answer her previous question, while the girl was still dazed.

“That was when you were on the camping trip. Just a while back when I saw you with Taehyung at the lake, I got a shot of you right then. I didn’t know why, but I just had to get it on paper somehow.” The boy explained this to her in a soft voice. Haekyung only blinked repeatedly.

Normally, she would probably grow suspicious of why her picture would have been taken, but seeing how different his intentions were, her eyes softened at the way he looked into her eyes.

On a side note, she was actually happy and thankful that he had shown this to her.

Now, all she wondered was why he had done that in the first place. She kept a steady gaze with the boy right beside her, not knowing how to really ask him about it. So the girl just sighed softly.

Jungkook, why are you so hard to understand..?

Her thoughts were interrupted once he took the chance to speak up, causing her to lightly jump.

“Happy birthday, Haekyung.” Quietly whispering to her in a calm voice, Jungkook delicately smiled down at her. Her eyes instantly rounded in surprise at what he had just whispered to her.

How did he know that it was my birthday?

Haekyung bit her lips, growing curious once more. “So, is this your present for me then?”

For a second, the boy just grew silent, body still while he momentarily looked away. She intently watched his every moment, patiently waiting for his answer. Just a moment later, he turned towards her once more, softly nodding his head in response, flashing her an uncertain smile.

“Yeah, it is. I just didn’t know if you’d like it or not though.”

She felt that familiar smile return, gaze knowingly flowing downwards as she brought the boy’s sketchbook close, lightly embracing it while looking down at the floor. Why was she so happy?

Jungkook found himself carefully trace that wonderful smile, his throat suddenly becoming dry.

The rate of his heart picked up in difference to the first time he’s seen that genuine expression plastered on her face just now, so how could he handle seeing it a second time? Yeah, not fair.

Damn it, why’d you have to look so adorable right now, Haekyung?

She then parted her lips to speak, breaking him out of his thoughts. “Thank you, I love it.”

The only thing he registered was the word love. She loved it. The boy didn’t even realize that he had a heartwarming smile etched onto his own lips, causing the girl to briefly look away, startled.

Somehow, Haekyung felt a tad bit nervous with him like that.

His smiles were always confusing, because she could never figure out what he thought of when he had done that. But it didn’t mean that she didn’t like seeing him this way either. Not really.

So with that in mind, her eyes glanced back down at the drawing on her lap, smile still evident.

However, she stopped when her attention turned back to the boy right beside her, sitting merely a feet or two away, their distances close. He tapped her on the shoulder, parting his lips to whisper something to her, gaze soft while he was close enough to inhale the scent of her hair.

Strawberry.

That was his favourite fruit. How surprisingly nice.

She felt him close by, blinking nervously the second she heard his soft breathe hit against the left side of her ear, not knowing if it was a good idea to turn or not, seeing how she literally froze.

“There’s something else that I forgot to give you, Haekyung.” Jungkook smiled, his voice soothing.

Curious as to what he meant by that, she found herself slowly turn, eyes about to meet his. But before that could even happen though, he had effortlessly taken the girl’s heart in by surprise.

Jungkook had already placed a palm over the sides of her head, gently pulling her towards him. He then felt the softness of her skin, his lips affectionately pressed against the sides of her cheek, closing his eyes in the process. In response, Haekyung literally just sat there like a freaking stone.

Her heart almost stopped in place, dumbfounded.

Haekyung unknowingly held her breathe in, her hands over her lap growing somewhat sweaty.

Jungkook was so close, that the tips of his soft hair would lightly brush over the upper-sides of her face. The girl’s eyes then rounded in shock, momentarily lost as she stared blankly at the wall.

Wait, did Jungkook just seriously kissed her…?

The kiss lasted for a couple of quick seconds, before the boy eventually pulled away from her.

He raised a brow at her blank expression, holding back the urge to burst out chuckling right here and then. However, he couldn’t help it as he had a slight grin glued to his face while he faced her.

Just then, the girl finally snapped out of her trance, trying so hard not to grow flustered at what he had just done, though it was probably way too hard, seeing how freaking nervous she looked.

What the hell’s wrong with me?!

Haekyung bit her lips, her heart pounding in her ears while she had this urge to cover her face.

But instead of doing that, the girl instantly glanced back at the boy, who apparently had a rather amused smile plastered on while he watched her, as if waiting for her to speak first. Bad move.

Because the second he had decided to be patient with her, his ear drums almost exploded.

She quickly moved backwards, her back hitting the wall while she had this hilariously shocked expression stretched on, mouth partially gaped opened while she pointed a finger at the boy.

Haekyung shouted at him alarmingly, “What. Did. You. Just. Do?!”

Looking at her nonchalantly, Jungkook answered her question sarcastically. “Uh, I kissed you?”

She narrowed her eyes at him, biting down on her lower lip before turning her head the other way, slightly dazed. However, his face only lit up with an adorable smile at her reaction, content.

The boy then slightly shifted over a bit towards where she now sat, their shoulders brushing once more while he tapped her other cheek teasingly, not feeling the slightest bit affected at all.

How could he be? Not when he was next to the girl that he had come to unknowingly adore.

“Want me to do it again?” Jungkook chuckled softly.

Hearing what the boy had just said out loud, she blinked in disbelief. Her smile that was just here five minutes, had now turned into a full-scowl, trying to mask her emotions while she gaped. Seriously, the worse part of it all was that her freaking heart wouldn’t calm the heck down.

Haekyung muttered in slight irritation, totally embarrassed. “No. Stay away from me, Jungkook!

Seeing her like this, he felt a playful smile spread across his face, inching a bit closer while he smirked at her, testing her patience while he had this urge to laugh again, but he held it back.

Startled, the girl quickly turned towards the window.

She banged on them with her clenched fists as the Ferris wheel slowly descended to a slow stop, but apparently, it way too slow for her. Ugh, how freaking embarrassing!

Haekyung seriously just needed to get out of here, so that the boy wouldn’t be able to see the flustered expression still evident on her face, even though she tried so hard to erase it. Just as they have both reached the ground, she banged against the window pane once more.

The guy working at the machine booth stared at her in a strange way, wondering if she was okay.

“Let me out of this thing!” Haekyung groaned, acting as if she was about to die of oxygen.

He just sat there in amusement, laughing at what she was doing while shaking his head, exhaling a soft sigh as he watched her quickly run off into the distance when the worker let her out of it.

Seriously, her reaction was hilarious.

The boy then sat up, biting his lips with a small smile as he trailed after her.

He casually thanked the guy on the way out. Haekyung noticed him jogging after her, picking her past forward while she only gaped at him. Catching up to her, Jungkook’s eyes eventually fell to the ground. He smiled softy, the light thumping of his heart still beating against his chest, elated.

Apparently, she wasn’t the only one.

His gentle gaze gradually softened in place, watching her smooth long hair flow freely down her shoulders, her back still faced to him while she kept on running away from him. Jungkook grinned.

Haekyung, don’t you know just how much I’d like to make you mine?