Right Beside You

Teased

 

Right Beside You

 

Reaching her hand forward to clumsily grab her phone off the night stand, Haekyung stared at the object blankly, struggling to keep her eyes open. It only continued to vibrate loudly, startling her awake just before she had a chance to fall right back asleep. The girl unwillingly tossed her warm covers aside, one palm placed over the tip of her hair as she slowly made her way out of her bedroom. She quickly glanced at the clock hung on the wall when she passed by the living room, thoroughly confused as she stretched an arm out to lazily pull open the front door, dazed.

Jungkook casually stood at the doorway neatly dressed in his school uniform, a grey bag hanging over the sides of his shoulder. He ended the call, glancing upwards to finally meet the girl’s gaze.

She narrowed her eyes, groaning inwardly. “Hey… it’s 6:30 am, why are you here so early again?”

He shrugged playfully, chuckling lightly when he instantly decided to pull her in for a quick hug. Haekyung only remained lifelessly still when the boy softly locked his arms around her back, somewhat too tired to show any reactions. Jungkook smiled, amused at her total lack of energy.

“I guess I couldn’t wait until afterschool, polar bear. You know I only get to see you once a day.”

She raised a brow, “And that’s not already enough?”

Releasing her, the boy then shook his head in response, as if he was stating the obvious. “Nope.” Haekyung laughed at his answer, quickly stepping aside to let him in as she proceeded to close the door behind him, “It’s the third time this week, are you seriously going to keep coming over?”

He only grinned happily, “Yeah. I’m going to be coming over a lot from now on, so get used to it.”

She lightly rolled her eyes, heading towards the stairs. “Yup, okay. I’m blaming you if I fall asleep in class though, idiot.” The boy pouted, “What? You’d choose to sleep in, more than spending time with me?” Haekyung simply shrugged, turning her back on him as she walked past him with a small smile. Seeing him like this, she thought the expression on his face was actually quite adorable. Recently, she had been seeing this side of him a lot more lately compared to the past.

“I’m going to go wash up, make yourself comfortable, I guess.” Haekyung called out from the second floor, lightly slamming her bathroom door shut as she worked on tying her long hair up.

Jungkook nodded with a smile, walking through the living room until he reached the kitchen at the far end. He then dropped his bag on the table, turning towards the fridge. There didn’t really seem to be anything other than an almost empty carton of milk, strawberry jam, and a box of cereal placed on the sides of the counter. He blinked in disbelief, not believing that it was all she had. The boy was glad that he had dropped by the grocery store that normally opened 24 hours.

He almost frowned. “Seriously, how does she even manage to fill herself up three times a day?”

Searching for what he had brought with him, he loaded the items into the girl’s almost-empty refrigerator. He then gathered a couple ingredients, setting them on top of the counter next to the stove. It didn’t actually take him more than a minute to decide what he had wanted to make.

Placing two pans over the stove, the boy worked on thoroughly mixing in the ingredients into another set of bowls, making sure to add in the flour, baking powder, sugar, and some salt. Once he finished whisking the egg, butter, and milk, he combined the mixture together as he prepared the pancake batter. He then cracked two extra eggs into the pan, carefully turning the stove on to medium heat. Jungkook reached for the cabinet above him, pulling out a few separate plates.

He proceeded to turn off the heat after ten minutes, neatly clearing the used bowls into the sink.

The boy calmly took a seat once he had finished plating.

Jungkook placed a palm under his chin, somewhat satisfied as he examined the plate of freshly made pancakes set in front of him. He realized that Haekyung must have spent a lot of her previous mornings like this, since her parents were pretty much never around. It bothered him a lot to know that. If he could normally spend more time with her and temporarily replace them while they are gone, then he honestly wouldn’t mind making breakfast for her every single day.

Yeah. It was probably much better than eating a bowl of tasteless cereal every morning, all alone.

Pulling on the blazer of her uniform, she quickly headed back down the stairs. The girl walked straight into the kitchen, a wonderful scent passing through her nose from a distance. Haekyung slowly settled down at the opposite end of the table, clueless as he waved her over. She glanced down to see a plate of pancakes lightly drizzled with honey, a single fried egg placed on the sides along with some colorful fruits decorating it, as well as a glass of orange juice on her right. This image was so unfamiliar to her that she was gradually becoming dazed. Jungkook grinned softly.

What the- She gapped, wondering where all this food even came from.

The boy cut out a small portion of his plate, reaching his arm towards her to casually feed her one piece of it, “Is this really your first time seeing fruits and pancakes or something, polar bear?”

Haekyung unknowingly flushed, bending forward to lightly bite off a small piece of his fork. “What? Of course not! I was just surprised. I don’t remember owning any of these ingredients in the fridge, so I almost thought I was dreaming or something. Anyways, when did you make all of this?” He laughed, pulling his hand back. “Just now. I actually bought a couple things at the store on the way over. And if you were really dreaming, would we seriously be having breakfast together right now?” She shook her head, slightly embarrassed at the thought of letting that out.

“Yeah.. I guess not. You didn’t have to bother going through all that trouble though, Jungkook. I’m fine with just milk and cereal.” Haekyung smiled, taking another bite of the delicious pancake.

Jungkook deepened his grin, “If it means that we can be together, then it’s not troubling at all.”

She blinked, laughing softly in response. “Hey, I feel kind of awkward just hearing that, what am I supposed to tell you afterwards?” He shrugged playfully, nonchalant. “That you love me too?”

Haekyung teased, “Really? But I don’t love you though.”

The boy glanced up at her with a playful frown, crossing his arms as he leaned back on his chair. “Fine, I guess that you don’t want to be with me then. Jeez. I’m feeling really hurt, you know?” She chuckled brightly, shifting forward to stain a small dash of honey over the tip of his nose, pulling back as he stared at her in amusement. The girl then directed her gaze back to her plate.

“I’m just joking, idiot. I actually do want to be with you, a lot.” She bit her lips with a faint smile.

He smiled softly to himself, feeling rather content with her words. It wasn’t often that she’d find herself easily displaying her affection towards him like this. So simple moments like these were slowly beginning to mean a lot to him, as it had easily filled up a part of his heart along the way.

Haekyung happily dug into her food, a sense of comfort and warmth crashing through her. It’s been a while since she’s eaten anything like this, knowing perfectly well that it was because her parents would normally make it for her in the past. But sadly, that had already been six years ago.

Instead of feeling bitter about it, she simply felt nostalgic.

She learned overtime that it was never a good thing to keep all of these negative feelings bottled up inside, since it would only be better to see things in a new perspective. The girl realized that everything that had happened up until this point, was only due to certain circumstances that couldn’t be helped. So wouldn’t the future be a lot more promising, if she were to make an effort? Haekyung had wanted things to finally go right this time, since she was willing to patiently for her parents to return. She just hoped that her father was doing well, wishing at the same time that her mother can safely recover in time. Even when it hurt to know that she couldn’t be there for her since they were so far apart, she made up her mind to lessen the burden on their shoulders.

“You know, I’m planning on getting a job. Just so my parents don’t have to worry about me living like this. I’ve gotten so used to relying on them, that responsibility never once crossed my mind.”

Jungkook flashed her a slight grin, his expression soft.

“Really? Just when did my cute little polar bear grown up to be so loving and responsible all of a sudden, huh?” Hearing his warm and half-playful response right after, she gently flushed. Had she really been changing this much lately? The girl lightly bit her lips, glancing down her plate as she casually focused on finishing the remaining bits of her breakfast. “Yeah, I’ve been thinking about it for a while now. Is it really strange, that I’m slowly changing like this though?” He blinked, a little taken aback by the slight sense of insecurity in her tone, although her words weighted more on just pure curiosity at the same time. The boy then shook his head, his smile deepening.

“I was just kidding, polar bear. To me, you’ve always been considerate and independent. I guess you should always pursue whatever you think is right, at your own pace. If it means that you’ll be happy with the results in the end.” Jungkook assured her encouragingly. She slowly blinked, her heart growing warm at his sudden sincerity, not exactly expecting him to easily comfort her like this. How come he always seemed to have this kind of effect on her? Her lips curved into a smile.

“You’re right. Thanks for the advice, Jungkook.”

He eventually added, “And it doesn’t matter if a part of you changes overtime. I’ll always be proud of you, Haekyung.“ The girl let out a soft chuckle, “You know, you’re beginning to sound a lot like my dad. Well, at least when he was still around. But thank you again, I honestly feel much better now.” Relieved at her lightened tone, the boy mirrored her smile. He then raised a brow playfully.

He grinned. “I can be both, you know. Your boyfriend, and your dad. Isn’t that totally perfect?”   

Haekyung quickly registered what he had said, unknowingly making a face at that statement. She glanced his way with her blank expression, mouth partially open in shock and surprise. Just now, she had only mentioned it as a quick reference. Nothing else. “Please, just stay as being one thing. I can’t imagine you being both. That’s really weird, you know?” The boy laughed, gaze following her movements as the girl made her way over to begin clearing both their plates into the sink. He stood up as he casually rolled up the sleeves of his blazer, joining her by the wall. Together, the two cleaned and rinsed the other stained bowls and pans, working comfortably in good unity.

She flashed him a soft smile, grateful. 

Jungkook then caught her gaze knowingly, showing her an even wider smile. He parted his lips to speak, “Let me know when you’re looking for a job, so that we can look for one together, okay?”

The girl blinked in reply after giving it a short thought, “That’s okay. I think I’ll be alright by myself. Besides, I don’t want to trouble you with your spare time, Jungkook. This semester’s getting pretty busy, don’t you think?” He instantly pouted at her words, feeling a bit disappointed with her response. For him, it wouldn’t be bothersome at all. If it was possible, then he’d want nothing more than to spend more time with her every day. However, his lips eventually shifted into a slight smile as a second thought occurred to him. Jungkook casually moved towards her, leaning his head down so that he’d be able to affectionately place a gentle kiss on Haekyung’s right cheek.

“Nah, I really don’t think I can handle being apart from you for even another day, polar bear.”

 

 

 

---

Friday. It was currently any other normal day of the week. The cafeteria sounded loudly with the usual chatters and gatherings of the other students scattered freely during this time of the day.

Just right at the spot in the center of the crowds, the four casually occupied their places around the table. Sohee watched as Jimin and Yoongi pulled out their lunches from their own bags, hurry evidently plastered on their faces as if they had been starving for the entire day just before. She could only laugh brightly to herself, while Taehyung calmly shook his head with a smile knowingly.

He then pulled out his own as well, making sure to hand out a couple of extra drinks he had purchased at the vending machine earlier. “Just in case you get thirsty, guys. It’s on me.” The boy called out, popping open his own lid as he took a small sip of the orange juice spilling from the bottle. Yoongi grinned, “Thanks man.” Responding at the same time, Jimin nodded happily, “Just what I needed!” Taehyung didn’t forget to also slide one last bottle of apple juice towards the girl’s side, knowing that it was her favourite flavor. He had known this fact ever since elementary school, when they had both met for the first time. Even if her preferences had been nothing special to him back then, he found himself remembering these details much more often now, realizing that these pleasant recognitions would only slowly become something significantly more to him one day. Perhaps without him even actually aware of it, it had already just started.

All that was left, was for him to slowly figure these feelings out.

Sohee blinked, reaching over to take hold of the juice in her hand. She then smiled, “Thank you.” He slightly turned towards her, only to be greeted by her wonderful smile. He only smiled back.

“You’re welcome.” Taehyung briefly whispered, directing his gaze back to the other two boys.

Half an hour passed by pretty quickly, as everyone conversed among themselves, throwing in a couple of occasional jokes here and there. Just five minutes later, the four turned their head towards the right as the newcomers set their bag over the surface of the table, casually joining them for lunch as they stood closely to the other empty spots. Jungkook greeted with a small smile, “Yo, sorry for being late. I had to stay behind a bit to organize something else for my other class. Then I had to pick her up.” He averted his gaze towards the girl beside him with his eyes. Haekyung added with a similar smile, “Hey guys. What’s for lunch? I hope I’m not interrupting.”

Jungkook was quick to nudge her on the arm with a playful grin, “Of course you’re not, silly. They’re your friends, aren’t they?” She nodded faintly in realization as the colour of her cheeks lightly rose, still feeling a bit overwhelmed with the addition of so many new people in her life. Before any of this, it had only been Jaein who would frequently be there by her side all this time.

But on the other hand, the girl was grateful that she was slowly becoming closer to the rest of the boys, minus the exception of course Taehyung and Sohee, since she was already quite familiar with the two over the first semester right up until now. Now, she has more adjustments to make.

Had change always been this nice and pleasant?

“Duh, of course we’re friends. Don’t even have second thoughts about it, okay?” Yoongi assured dismissively with a wave of his hand, while Jimin shrugged with a wide smile. “I’m glad that you’re joining us for lunch more often now. Hey, the more the better, right?” Sohee and Taehyung exchanged quick glances before directing a warm smile towards Haekyung’s direction. Just beside her, Jungkook watched as Haekyung set her lips into a content and happy smile, feeling delighted.

He gently tightened his hold around their linked hands, his bright expression reaching his eyes.

Their somewhat affectionate atmosphere was broken when Jimin and Yoongi looked towards their tightly locked hands, sneaky grins on their faces as they resorted to teasing the two. “Since when were you two this close? Aren’t you holding her hand a bit too tight, bro?” Jimin questioned with a laugh. Yoongi snickered, “Can you two please not make me jealous and sit down already? I don’t think I’ll be able to handle all these loving exchanges.” Sohee held back her laughter at their teasing tones, while Taehyung just shrugged. “Hey, don’t mind me. I’m already used to it.”

Jungkook stared at his friends in amusement, while Haekyung only became flustered, speechless.

She then took her seat on the right, biting her lips with a faint smile.

Ever since Haekyung came into the picture during the first semester, pretty much almost everyone in the group knew that eventually, the two would somehow come to like each other in the end. And that was on top of all the constant bickering, arguments, and name callings. Perhaps seeing this actually come true was quite an interesting thing to take in. Jungkook was finally back to his casual self, more active and content than he had ever been. So it was a pretty good thing.

Looking around the table, Jungkook raised a brow as he started to question the whereabouts of his other friends who weren’t present at the moment. “Hey, where’s everyone else?” Taehyung clumsily spoke between bites of his mini sandwiches, “At soccer practice. It ends later on Fridays nowadays, so they said to have lunch without them. Pretty intense, if you ask me.” The other boy nodded at this information. Sohee was just about to take another sip of her apple juice when she landed her gaze at the corner of Taehyung’s lips. It was stained with some sauce and small bits of crumb. She instinctively reached for a napkin, carefully wiping it away for him the next second.

Taehyung turned to look at her with his mouth still full of food, swallowing it as he nervously blinked. What was this feeling? Embarrassment, surprise, or nervousness? Or had it been all of it? His somewhat nervous state went unnoticed by her as she focused her gaze back to her drink.

You’re just thinking too much, Sohee had always been this caring and attentive in the past… right?

The boy’s thoughts were briefly interrupted just as the voices of the others around him slowly registered through his ears. Jungkook grinned, “By the way, you guys might want to check out the newly renovated café located just right in the city. It’s about a fifteen minute bus ride. Not too far, and pretty convenient.” Everyone quickly tuned in, brows partially raised in curiosity with the exception of Haekyung. The girl just stared at the food placed in her hands as she listened with a knowing smile. “Why? Is it a really awesome café or something?” Jimin and Yoongi asked.

“It sounds interesting, maybe I’ll check it out when I have the spare time.” Sohee excitingly nodded. “Yeah, you can all drop by anytime you want. It’s not a problem. But it’ll be great if you could all make it this Sunday. There’s a special discount. Oh, and I just got a part-time job there.”

Jungkook casually stated as he sipped on his half-empty strawberry smoothie.

“Cool, there’s a discount. Sunday sounds good. You got a part-time job there.” Yoongi rambled.

“A part-time job.” Jimin repeated.

“Wait, what?!” They both gasped shortly afterwards, mild shock evident on their faces as if they had no idea that the youngest boy in their entire group had just gotten his very first job. Yup, real shocking. Especially when they knew that Jungkook had always been fairly lazy and nonchalant with things, even if he had always been academically excelled. Taehyung just nodded in interest.

“Oh yeah, I’m going to be working there with Haekyung too.” Jungkook added as he turned to her. Haekyung returned his gaze afterwards, her gaze showing a hint of amusement and disbelief.

“Really? That’s great!” Sohee beamed cheerfully.

“Say what?! Seriously?” The other two boys chorused at the same time once more, eyes wide.

The younger one raised a brow, breaking into quiet laughter. “Why is this so surprising for you guys? Did you think that I’d stay the same kid as I was a year ago only watching television and playing video games all the time?” Sohee laughed along, while Taehyung couldn’t agree more. Hey, that was the normal routine of a laid-back fifteen year old. Even he had experienced it. Jimin and Yoongi just exchanged strange stares within a millisecond, before quickly reverting their gazes back to the other boy with their arms lightly crossed, as if they were playfully complaining.

“Yes.”

“Pretty much.”

“But it’s not fair, you got a job way before us! And we’re supposed to be older than you! Jeez.”

“Uh, sorry?” Jungkook only laughed harder at their answers.

Haekyung shook her head with a small smile, “I still can’t believe that you had to get the same job that I applied for. I’m perfectly fine working by myself, Jungkook. Besides, we still get to spend time together every day afterschool, and sometimes on the weekends as well. Isn’t that already enough for you?” Even though this was true, it’s not like she had minded though. Perhaps the girl just didn’t want the boy to share the same exhaustion that you would normally experience once you’re in the process of becoming a steady part-time worker during certain long days of the week.

Jungkook only pouted adorably,” It’s not about that anymore, polar bear.”

She raised a brow, “Really? Then what is it?”

He casually slung his left arm around the girl’s neck, softly puling her close to him as he secured her in a light hug, “What if other guys there try to steal you away from me? Hey, you never know.”

Haekyung almost coughed on her food, staring back at him with her brows arched even higher.

“What? That’s not going to happen, okay? I seriously don’t even know what you’re talking about, Jungkook.” She quickly denied what he had blurted out earlier, shaking her head. The boy only frowned, tightening his arm around her. “And how are you so sure that it won’t, when you’re so cute, pretty, adorable, and clueless?” He challenged, staring down at her teasingly. She blinked.

Then came the slight rush of redness that crept up on her cheeks at his unfamiliar compliment.

No one had ever given her that many titles in a sentence before.

Yup, strange.

Haekyung lightly turned the other way, momentarily avoiding his gaze. “Because I know it won’t, alright? I think you’re really just overreacting.” Just when she thought this conversation was over, the boy proved her wrong when he uttered something else out of the blue. The girl only gaped.

“Yeah? Then what about all those guys back at the arcade that kept staring at you? Doesn’t that explain anything already, polar bear?” Jungkook knitted his brows, that memory flashing right through his head the minute he recalled it happening a while ago. Yeah, don’t ask why he still remembers that. Haekyung frowned, “Okay, how does that even completely relate to this topic?”

He shrugged nonchalantly, “I think you’d know the answer to that, Haekyung.”

The girl lightly rolled her eyes in a playful manner, amused at his childish behaviour. Even when it sounded as if they were finally arguing like they normally would back then, everything was beginning to feel different this time. There was a string of affection to it, although the two might have not been actually aware of it right now. Her lips then unknowingly curved into a soft smile.

“On second thought, I really don’t think I do.” She replied.

Jungkook instantly grinned, locking both arms around her neck to steady her into a tighter hug. He then used his other hand occasionally to playfully ruffle the girl’s hair, laughing softly at her endless protesting. Haekyung groaned, trying to clumsily fix her hair as she remained in his arms.

The girl lightly chuckled, no hint of anger or annoyance evident this time. “Stop that, Jungkook!” 

Taehyung and Sohee exchanged brief glances, shrugging with similar smiles set on their lips while the other two males, Jimin and Yoongi just watched and laughed at the opposite pair’s on-going argument and struggle with amusement. They all knew by now, that this happens way too often.

Somehow, it looks like things were finally back to normal.

 

 

 

---

Setting the ordered drinks right onto the coloured tray, Haekyung carefully made her way out the front counter of the café store, navigating for the correct table just at the far corner. The girl then transferred the drinks right onto the customer’s table, retrieving the tray by her waist as she pulled on a polite smile, “I hope you’ll enjoy your drinks, we made sure to add more sugar and milk, just as you had requested.” The female customers returned her smile, quickly thanking her before she had to rush right back to the front counter to attend to the other customers who were currently waiting in line for their take-out drinks. Just right behind where the girl was working at the cashier, Jungkook was in charge of handling the drinks. Even if the two had been right next to each other working at the same place, their duties and roles differed significantly.

Aside from the mixing and making the drinks, the boy also had a touch of ability in adding different categories of artwork over any of the hot drinks that some of the other customers would occasionally order, according to his artistic skills and preferences. In fact, he enjoyed preparing it. It was actually quite fun, even. Once in a while, he would also make sure to make one for her.

Serving the last customer in line, the crowd of people dispersed off the waiting area to either look for extra seats to occupy for the meantime, or head out of the store. Haekyung let out a small breathe, glancing right up at the clock to read that it was currently about 5:01 pm, just two hours until she be would be able to get off her shift with Jungkook. Noticing that it wasn’t currently busy at the moment, she was just about to turn towards the boy’s direction, curious as to what he had been up to. The girl just hadn’t expected that he would have find her faster than she did, startled when she felt his long arms gently lock around her waist from behind, the bottom of his chin already softly rested over the tip of her left shoulder. Haekyung blinked a second later.

Jungkook leaned his head against her shoulder, his voice coming out in a soft whisper.

“I’m tired, polar bear.” She remained still in his embrace, gently running her hand over the sides of his face as she playfully gave him a small squeeze on his cheek. She then moved her fingers over to the tip of his head, patting him there softly. He smiled at her small actions, feeling rather comforted. Haekyung whispered back, “Do you want to take a little break? I can take over for you right now.” The boy was quick to shake his head in reply, lightly releasing her from his arms.

“Nah, I think I just gained a day’s worth of strength from our hug just now.” He grinned playfully.

The girl turned to face him with an amused smile.

“Really? Because I’m starting to think that you’re just exaggerating again, Jungkook.” She said.

He shrugged, deepening his smile in place as he casually leaned his back against the front counter, his gaze affectionately pinned on her as he reached for hand before softly taking hold of it. The boy then played with her fingers, “I’d hug you a hundred times a day If I could though, Haekyung.”

Haekyung laughed, lightly shaking her head. “If that happens, I’ll pretty sure that I’ll start to hate hugs sooner or later.” He laced their hands together as he glanced up at her with a bright smile.

“Don’t worry, if you do get sick of it, then I’ll be the one to give you all the hugs from now on.”

“No thanks.” Haekyung joked in reply.

“You’re seriously mean.” He pouted, swiftly pulling her on the arm to quickly give her another light hug. She chuckled into his shoulder, softly pushing back from his arms just a minute later.

“If it’s anyone that deserves a break right now, I’d say that person should be you.” He corrected.

Just before the girl could say another word in protest, he had already directed her to an empty table by the windows directly facing the counter of the store. Pulling on a chair for her to sit on, he gently ruffled her hair in place, “Just a fifteen minute break would be fine, alright? I’ll be right back.” He signaled her to stay put, smiling as he went right back over to make her a hot chocolate.

Haekyung laced her hands together, lightly positioning it under her chin as she watched him from a distance. Time passed by rather quickly, just from her being able to watch him prepare it alone.

Soon enough, the boy travelled back once more as he placed down a cup of steaming hot liquid.

She could only smile as she lowered her gaze, taking in the details of the artwork that he had once more added. However, the design to it this time was entirely different, taking her by surprise when she recognized the streaks to be the figure of a bear, decorated with white cream to identify its rightful colour. Haekyung slowly took the cup into her hands, admiring it once more.

“Is this a polar bear?” The girl asked.

“Yup, specially made just for you.” Jungkook softened at the way that her eyes were currently smiling right now. It was a really pretty smile. He watched as she took a small sip of it, her expression warm as she tasted the sugary sweetness of the cocoa dancing on the tip of her tongue. Haekyung eventually glanced up at him once more, her lips curving into a delighted smile.

“Thank you, I really like this new addition. The print’s adorable.”

“Not as adorable as you.” The boy grinned as he leaned over to give her a quick squeeze on her cheek. At his words, she only pinked once more, her heartrate increasing like it normally would whenever they were together. Sensing that break time should be over, they both headed back over to their work stations, taking control of their shifts once more. Just then, a few other customers had already entered the café. “Hi, what would you like to order today? There’s a special discount to-“ Haekyung paused, surprised that Taehyung and Sohee had been standing there right in front of her. Looks like the two really did have the time to make it in today after all.

“Hey, we didn’t stop by too late today, right?” Taehyung greeted her with a small wave of his hand, a friendly smile plastered over his lips. Just right beside him, Sohee brightened up as well.

“Sorry for being so late, we kind of missed the last bus at the station, so we had to wait a while.”

Haekyung only shook her head with a reassuring smile, “That’s okay. You guys made the time to visit us, so I’m really happy that you both made it.” The other girl quickly smiled, relieved. The boy then fixed his gaze on the menu hung just right above them, casually scanning over his options. Deciding that he’d take up any good recommendations for a specific drink, Sohee glanced towards his direction as well, curious. Their friend working behind the counter chuckled.

“You guys still can’t decide yet? I can try to help.”

They were quick to nod their heads at the girl’s suggestion, heading over to the seats located near the back of the café by the windows, after the two had finished placing their orders. Just ten minutes later, Taehyung and Sohee were greeted with a set of colourful drinks neatly set in front of them. They looked up, only to be casually greeted by their other friend. Jungkook smiled.

“I almost thought you two were never going to stop by. It’s a little lonely around here, you know?”

Sohee laughed, “Is it? Then we’ll try to visit more often.”

“Yeah, only if we’re able to catch the damn bus on time. The fastest one always somehow leaves right before we’re both let out of our clubs.” Taehyung complained, lightly chewing on his straw.

Jungkook only laughed in reply, shaking his head. Sensing that he had to get back to his shift after conversing with his friends, they watched as the boy walked back over to his work station behind the front counter. Haekyung turned to him a couple minutes later, smiling as she began to peer over his shoulder to catch a glimpse of what he had been currently working on. Realizing that he was practicing another artwork of his, the girl only focused intently on his activity in admiration.

Quickly catching her bright expression, Jungkook gently placed his hands over hers as he walked behind her, calmly guiding her to complete the figure of the flower he had been sketching over the cup. Haekyung deepened her smile, gaze pinned on their movements in concentration as she watched their progression together. He chuckled softly, delighted to see how fascinated she was.

From a distance, Sohee lightly turned from her seat, gaze gentle and calm as she glanced behind her shoulder, her back once directly facing the front counter. The corner of her lips then gradually tilted upwards in both familiarity, relief, and surprise. The scene was familiar to her in a number of ways, since she had always known just how much the two would normally come to spent time with each other in the past, in times that were both good and bad. She was relieved to know that despite any differences and problems between them that might have unexpectedly occurred right from the beginning and up until now, they would always somehow learn to work things out. Finally, the girl was also surprised, because she had never expected the future she was currently experiencing right now to become so bright and resolute. Then came her next rush of realization.

Across from her, Taehyung slowly turned his gaze towards her, his own expression that had been once calm and pleasant, faintly melt in place at her voice. Sohee effortlessly deepened her smile.

The boy felt his heart gently spin at her words.

“Someday, I hope I can meet someone who can make me smile and brighten up just like that.”

 

 

 

---

“Are you sure you want to come along? I don’t want to trouble you.” She flashed him a small smile. He turned to the voice right beside him, casually peering down at her with a simple nod as he parted his lips to speak, “Yup, what kind of a friend would I be, if I couldn’t even carry out the single task of walking you back home? Just in case you forgot, we practically neighbours, alright?”

Hearing his reply, Sohee only laughed. “Aww, I’d still consider you as a really good one though.”

Taehyung playfully returned her smile afterwards, hands lightly placed in the pocket of his jeans as he calmly walked right next to her. They had both just gotten off the city bus a couple of minutes ago, right after leaving the café shop. And the ride back had been nothing but pleasant.

It was nicely filled with just the two of them, since the one they boarded had been rather empty.

For the rest of the way back, only the sounds of their soft voices and occasional laughter together would echo through the streets of their neighbourhood. Like this, they began to slowly lose track of time thanks to each other’s company. They had already done this a countless number of times.

Days in the past where one would always find the other right next to each other, simply unaware.

Perhaps the only difference this time, was that he was finally beginning to realize that these simple walks back home weren’t what they’re used to be anymore. For him, it simply felt special.

However, the boy just didn’t know if she had ever felt the same way though. Is it even possible?

It would be nice if she did.

That way, he’d feel that he would be able to easily process the steady rush of acceleration for the beating of his heart whenever they were together. He felt as if he still lacked the ability to fully comprehend the rising surge in his chest every time she had effortlessly been the source of his smiles. The boy somehow learnt to reserve that very simple expression just for her, unknowingly.

And it strangely made him question himself a lot, in relation to their unlimited times like these.

“Does it.. still bother you, whenever you see him?”

Sohee gently halted the pace in her steps, peering up at him in slight surprise. His smile remained evident as he let those single words escape from his lips. Realizing that he was referring to her current perspective of what it had been like to face Jungkook ever since she had decided to move on from her past feelings for him, the girl gently shook her head in honesty. She felt as if he had the right to know. Because he was someone who had always been there, to comfort her all along.

She replied, “Not anymore. I guess I was able to let go of everything, as if it had never happened.”

Hearing this, he only felt encouraged and relieved.

They were able to brush off from this topic shortly afterwards, when the boy decided that he should leave his curiosity only right until here. He learnt that the rest of it no longer mattered to him. It shouldn’t have. The only thing he knew, was that things were finally going to change from now on. He had already set his heart on it. And all that was left, was for her to finally realize it.

Reaching her doorstep, Sohee turned to the boy beside her with a light grin, “Thanks a lot for walking me back. I’ll see you tomorrow in the morning?” Taehyung nodded, mirroring her smile.

Just before the girl could disappear through the doors, he had already gently reached out for her.

She froze in place, lightly startled.

However, despite feeling this way, the warmth of his touch had been sincerely comforting. At this point, softness filled her heart. It was as if she couldn’t explain what she was currently feeling.

This feeling. It just came to her all of a sudden, without a single notice.

Taehyung lightly steadied his arms around her neck, pulling her close to him as he placed the bottom of his chin over the top of her head. He didn’t need to think twice about what he had been doing. He didn’t question as to why it had finally felt so right to him, to know that she was currently in his arms. Because what slipped out of him afterwards only made him realize that he should have let her known a long time ago. Back when he simply didn’t know what was happening to him. In the past, when he had only been repeatedly stuck on an endless wave of emotions. He just didn’t have a clue. The boy’s lips then curved into a soft smile, his gaze gently set on the pavement beneath them as he calmly stood behind her, his arms still warmly locked around her.

“If you just looked a little closer, I promise you that you’ll come to find the right person for you.”