Taking Responsibility

Teased

 

Taking Responsibility

 

Four pair of eyes half-worriedly and somewhat unapprovingly, watched the boy who was by the other side of the room, his gaze trained into space as he if he had something on his mind.

In other words, he looked kind of blank.

“You can’t be serious, right?” Jimin was the first one to speak up, totally baffled.

He was referring to what Jungkook was actually planning to do. Once the boys were eventually informed of it, they pretty much had the same reaction whatsoever, totally dumbfounded by it.

However, out of everyone in the group, Jin must have been the most concerned right now.

“If something goes wrong, you’ll get into serious trouble.” Taehyung tried to convince his best friend, who apparently wasn’t going to change his mind at all, as he was still occupied in silence.

“You know he’s right, Jungkook. This isn’t just any school, the headmaster’s always been strict with all of us. I would know that best, being a member of the student council.” Running a palm over the back of his hair in slight uneasiness, Jin looked into the boy’s eyes, joining the others.

Yoongi on the other hand, was the only one who hasn’t said a word.

Although he shared the same feelings with everybody else in the room, he had also respected his good friend’s decision whenever the time called for it. So in other words, he didn’t object to it.

Heaving a small sigh, Jungkook lifted his gaze from off the floor, staring straight at his friends.

Nothing matters, I’m doing this no matter what.

“Right now, I could care less about getting into . I just need a little help from you guys. If it’s really that difficult for you to consider upon, then just ignore it. Forget what I said.” He stated.

The boy’s tone of voice clearly showed that he was being quite serious about this.

Taehyung blinked, before he sighed in response with an understanding smile. Even though he knew Jungkook could be stubborn when he wanted to, the boy had always been smart with his decisions. He just didn’t know if this time around, the outcome to it all would be positive.

Exchanging brief glances with everyone excluding his best friend in the room, they all looked stiff.

But either way, it was pretty obvious that Jungkook wasn’t going to change his mind any time soon. Once he sets his mind on something, it’d obviously wouldn’t be so easily passed like that.

Besides, it sparked their curiosity as to what his intentions were.

All they knew was that Jungkook had to borrow the broadcasting room, which strictly belonged to the property of the administrations, limited staffs, and the student council for important issues and announcements. Did he needed to create a message for the others to hear about?

If so, what was it that he wanted to say?

The boys seriously had no clue, seeing that their friend had his lips practically sealed shut.

Meanwhile, Jungkook just laid his back over the chair he had occupied, mentally thinking over what he was going to say. To be honest, the only reason why he never told the rest of the guys what his direct message for the school was going to be was because it was a tad bit embarrassing.

Never in his life would he had ever thought such words would come out of his own lips.

It didn’t really matter anyway, because right now, Jungkook was doing this all to make it up to that one person who he’s been thinking awfully a lot about. She’s been on his mind a lot lately.

Obviously, if you mess with off-limits property, you’d get into some trouble with the headmaster at this school. Jungkook already knew that very well, but he honestly didn’t care about it at all.

So what if he gets into trouble?

It was probably much better than having to witness the same lost and hurtful expression he’s seen on that one girl’s face. Sometimes, it’d flow across his mind, even if he wanted to erase it.

It probably won’t go away, until he’d step up his game to solve this problem.

For the both of them.

It was either right now, or never. It had been the following Monday, a long week after every other students have returned from the school camping trip. It only meant that today would be the perfect timing, seeing that most students at Kangnam High were restricted to make proper attendance as it was the first day of the week. Now, all he needed was access to that one room.

“So what do you guys say?” Jungkook carefully peered over at his friends.

He then turned to the eldest boy in the room, who had a huge advantage in helping him, seeing that as a student council member himself, Jin had access to the room, and could pass him a key.

Yoongi and Jimin groaned simultaneously, still not completely on deck with this whole plan.

Hey, they didn’t want Jungkook to freaking get suspended, or even worst, expelled. The seven of them as a whole group, would literally just crumble right here and now. Nobody would want that.

On the other hand, Jin hadn’t spoken another word.

It seemed like he was contemplating over it right about now. Right next to him, Taehyung who sat on his left nudged his arm, trying to tell the male that it wouldn’t be so bad to lend a hand.

Glancing back over at the Jungkook, the older boy gradually nodded, not knowing what to say.

If that’s what his friend wanted to do, then he might as well comply.

They weren’t all the best of friends for no reason. It came with experience and hardship. Definitely. If anything were to ever screw up, the boys knew that they’d always have their backs covered. Jungkook heaved a soft sigh yet again, slowly responding the boy with a small smile.

Yeah, he felt grateful that his friends were being supportive right now. He really needed that.

“Thanks, Jin hyung. If anything happens, I’ll take the blame alone.”

Taehyung immediately frowned, darting a nearby pen at his best friend on the other side of the room. Jungkook blinked, confused as to why he had just done that. What’s up with that frown?

He just stared at the other male, dazed.

“You know that if something happens, we’d never let you face it all alone, right? So cut the crap, Jungkook. You know us better than that.” Taehyung stated, crossing his arms with a small smile.

“What he said.” Jimin snickered, his left hand occupied as he twirled a pencil between his fingers.

Yoongi nodded with a light chuckle, while Jin finally broke out into a reassuring smile to counter his friend’s previous statements, straightening his back on the chair, “Can’t argue with that.”

Right about now, the other boy didn’t know how to exactly react.

He just felt a tinge of relief, mixed in with a touch of thankfulness, gratitude, and strength. For the first time in several days, Jungkook finally managed to crack a full smile. One that was real.

“Thanks guys, it really means a lot.”

 

 

 

---

First period classes were quickly over, as majority of students came sauntering out of their classrooms to begin their usual morning break as scheduled.

Meanwhile, the only person who hadn’t been enjoying his break like the others had been given, was calmly occupying a soft chair, which rested right behind the desk of the broadcasting room.

Okay, he ended up skipping first period.

So that’d mean, the boy probably would do the same for second period as well. Besides, he wasn’t even in the mood to listen to the teacher babble on about useless stuff he already familiarized himself with. Independent studies were the only thing he needed anyways.

Jungkook nonchalantly leaned his chin under one palm, eyes watching the clock on the wall tick.

His attention was cut short when he received a text.

Reading the message that was sent, he raised a brow, slightly bothered with the change of plans.

 


From: Taehyung. 

Sent: 10:45 am.

Hey, the headmaster's staying in for lunch today. Jin hyung told me to relay that to you. Apparently, the guy won't be in the building during second period. So, make sure you go for it.

Be careful, alright?


 

Tapping his left fingers along the surface of the table in slight irritation, he lightly rolled his eyes.

Damn it, why the heck would a principal stay in a cramped office for lunch?

The headmaster was known to be a man who’d be in a countless number of places throughout the day, and it was obvious that he doesn’t usually stay in during lunch hours. Jungkook sighed.

Tucking his phone back into the pocket of his blazer, the boy started setting up around the desk area, turning on several audio and electronic sets so that the stand-up microphone placed in front of his lips would go through clearly, if he was going to be using it. Seriously, it had to be just right.

Because there was no way in hell he’d ever consider doing this a second time.

One thing Jungkook knew for sure though, was that he wouldn’t have done something like this for anyone else other than Min Haekyung. In his opinion, she was definitely worth the trouble.

He just hoped that she wouldn’t have to take anymore crap from the other female students.

Seriously, those girls are hopelessly ridiculous, and dumb. The list could go on forever.

Even he knew that much.

 

 

 

---

Eventually coming out of the large cafeteria after grabbing a late morning snack, she carefully made her way around the tables, though with the help of the other two girls without her consent.

It took her by surprise for a slight second, but it wasn’t anything out of the ordinary anyway.

Sohee gently locked her arm with Haekyung’s as she helped her get to the girl’s nearby classroom, and Jaein who stood on the other side was pretty much doing just the same thing.

Haekyung cracked a small smile, “Guys, I’m fine. It’s not like I’m crippled.”

Though her ankle was sprained a while ago, at least the pain was gradually easing within time.

Okay, it was a little inconvenient since it affected how much she could travel without biting down the pain that surfaced through her lower leg. But at least she was managing alright this time.

Sohee chuckled, shaking her head. “Yeah, but we can still help. It looks a bit painful, don’t you think?” Jaein who stood on Haekyung’s right nodded, a light pout on her lips as she tightened her hold around her best friend’s other arm as the three made their way down the busy halls.

Second period was about to start soon.

Stopping in front of the classroom door to her Art class, Haekyung turned back around to face the two, flashing both girls a somewhat happy and grateful expression for their assistance.

It sure felt nice to have another good friend around this school other than Jaein.

“We’ll be back to help you out later if you want, Haekyung. Just don’t hesitate to ask, okay?” Sohee offered brightly, though she was still concerned about the state that the girl was now in.

“Thanks, I will. But it’s really not a big deal. I’m sure it’ll heal soon.” Pointing down at her nicely bandaged ankle, Haekyung shrugged it off with a light laugh. Heck, it wasn’t even that bad. The fractured arm that happened back in the fifth grade from an accident was much worse anyway.

“Okay, I’ll get going then.” Sohee waved, turning back the other way to head towards her second class as well. Meanwhile, Jaein quickly gave Haekyung a light hug, “See you at lunch, Hae.”

Hugging her back, Haekyung gave the girl a small smile before entering her class.

Carefully walking in, her eyes landed on the row of seats situated at the back of the room as she made her way forward to take a seat. Noticing the empty spot on her left, she blinked in surprise.

Where’s Jungkook? He’s usually punctual.

Before she could continue to question his absence, Taehyung who sat by her right greeted her.

“Good morning.” He planted both arms on top of the desk, tilting his head with a slight smile as his eyes trailed down to her hurt ankle. Like the others, he hoped that she’d recover soon as well.

Haekyung acknowledged him with a similar smile, mumbling a soft, “Morning.”

“Please tell me you’ve got an extra.” Pointing at what laid over the surface of the girl’s desk, Taehyung bit his lips with a playful expression, eyes fixed onto the freshly baked dessert.

Damn it, why’d he have to like mango tarts so much?

Shaking her head shortly, the girl apologized with a light laugh, “Sorry, I’ve only got one though. But I can make it work.” Splitting the tart in half, Haekyung stretched an arm out for him to reach.

Shifting forward to lightly retrieve it from the palm of her hand, he chuckled, “Thanks, Haekyung.”

Briefly looking away when half of the female students started watching their sudden exchange, the girl started to feel uneasy again with those judgemental stares. It never grew on her at all. He noticed that she suddenly became quiet, his eyes following the direction she had been starring off to. Several of the girls who had glaring expressions instantly reverted back into flirty smiles.

Taehyung blinked, looking away without any reaction.

In other words, he didn’t really like paying much attention to the girls at this school either.

Before he could start another conversation with the girl beside him, their Art teacher came strolling in, ready to start the lesson of the day. Haekyung inwardly exhaled a soft groan, irritated.

Seriously, she really didn’t want to deal with any more negative attention directed towards her.

It wasn’t even worth her time anymore.

Her eyes then trailed up to the clock on the wall, watching the hands go by rather slowly.

Looking at the empty seat beside her, she was just about to wonder what the other boy had been doing. Deciding to let the thought go, she sighed lightly, turning her attention back to the board.

Right in the middle of class, Haekyung was just beginning to take small bites out of her food when something completely interrupted the lesson, capturing the attention of everyone else in the entire school. Taehyung on her right just casually listened, knowing what was about to come.

Students chattered loudly, wondering what the heck was going on. Even Mrs. Choi stood still.

The sound system lightly screeched, before a familiar voice came on-air.

 

"Listen up, people.

Judging by the voice, you’d probably know who’s speaking.

I’m not going to waste any time and get to the point, so you better hear me right. Min Haekyung is off-limits, so if you’re going to mess with her, then you might as well stop trying.

How would you feel, if I trampled on someone who’s precious to you? Not so great, right?

Stop being immature, and grow up. She’s not a girl you can just step all over on.

For the ones I’m referring to, you know who you are.”

 

Not processing his words at all, Haekyung blinked rapidly, nearly choking on her unfinished tart.

Why did I just hear my name?!

Oh, right. That voice had no doubt belonged to that one boy she couldn’t have failed to guess.

Except, everything was so out of the blue that she was still mentally shocked. However, it wasn’t only her who had the same lost expression plastered on, as the female students of the class that sat up-front gaped openly, not knowing how to even react at all, frowns evident on their faces.

Some of them were literally having a mental break down.

Taehyung turned to his left, equally as surprised, because he honestly had no clue that was what his best friend had been planning to let out all this time. So it had been for Haekyung all along.

Now I know why he was so persistent on borrowing the broadcasting room. To protect her.

Looking back over to study her reaction, it seemed as if she was as solid as a stone. But that soon changed when she started biting her lips, realizing what those words had meant just now.

Every word that was said started to sink in.

Haekyung blinked, eyes fixed on the surface of her desk. Did he just say that I’m precious to him…?

Strangely, she unknowingly felt her cheeks warm when she replayed his voice over and over. Jungkook had just stood up for her, as if he didn’t give a damn about anyone getting in the way.

At this, her heart began to feel lighter. In a good way, she supposed.

That explains why he hadn’t been in class earlier. Haekyung felt her gaze linger on the boy’s empty desk, a bad feeling gradually building up. Of course, being a student of two years at this school had kept her trained to stay out of trouble. She knew that he would be in trouble.

Haekyung’s eyes wavered, sight still glued to his seat.

…Jungkook, you freaking idiot.

 

 

 

---

Just half-way into the day, the news have already been spread from every inch and corner surrounding the school. Pretty much everyone knew about that mini announcement that happened during second period. Heck, even the teachers knew of the situation.

Sadly, it happened to reach the ears of several staff members who worked at the front desk.

You could probably guess what would happen next by then.

Entering back into his limited property to resume a pile of stacked paper-work, it was obvious that the headmaster was not at all pleased with all the ruckus and complaints being passed around from student to teachers that went right up to his office. It caused such a scene.

Just what the heck happened here while the man was only gone for short while?

 

Leaning both arms over the railing of the school’s fancy rooftop, just above the fifth floor, the boy looked out into the fascinating view just down below, exhaling a soft sigh.

Though he was satisfied with it being over, there was still a part of him that felt slightly anxious.

Jungkook bit his lips with an uncertain smile.

I’m guessing that she’s heard everything I’ve said about her by now, right? Great.

He didn’t really want to admit it, but it wasn’t like him to let out his thoughts and feelings so easily out like that in the open, at least not about anyone other than Haekyung. So it was a first.

Somehow, it felt kind of strange. As if he was reluctant to face her now.

Not because he wanted to avoid her, but was rather a bit embarrassed with himself. But either way, he felt satisfied, knowing that the girl would be better off than she where she had been before. The students must have been aware of the seriousness behind his words by now.

If she needs him, then he’ll be there for her.

Jungkook wouldn’t hesitate to hold back if someone else dared to mess with her again.

He snapped out of his slight daze, ears perking up at the voice he was so familiar with hearing. Positioning his body upwards, Jungkook casually made his way over back into the building, heading down the flight of stairs that lead to the one placed he probably couldn’t have avoided.

 

“Jeon Jungkook, report to the headmaster’s office. Immediately.”

Just wonderful. Looks like that’s my cue.

 

 

 

---

Pressing their ears right to the door, the boys had a rather hard time trying to make out what was happening on the other side. However, she was just as somewhat nervous as they were.

Haekyung slowly zoned out, not knowing what to do as she stood idly still by the door.

Jimin, Hoseok, and Yoongi were literally stuck against the sides of the door, trying hard to decipher what the freaking conversation was about, as they can’t hear a single damn thing. Meanwhile, the other boys just had their backs glued against the white walls, deep in thoughts.

Standing next to her, he sighed as he glanced down at the girl who had her hands laced together.

A nervous look adorned her features, and Sohee seemed quite unlike herself.

Taehyung casted a gentle smile, resting a hand over the tip of her head to calm her down. He then peered over at the other girl, who apparently didn’t look like she needed any comforting.

She only remained still, her back against the wall.

Yeah, obviously, the atmosphere wasn’t very good right now. Not with the unbearable silence lingering in the air. No one said a word, patiently waiting for Jungkook to finish his business with the man separating them from the thick layer of the red door. It had only been fifteen minutes.

Yet, it felt like forever to them.

Jeez, no kidding. Who would have something like this would’ve been this tense anyway?

Eventually, the door that half of the boys had been leaning on ever so suddenly creaked open inwards, causing them to fall face-flat down onto the ground, bodies tumbling over one another.

Jungkook blinked as he stood by the door, confused as ever.

“Hyung, you’re heavy!” Jimin whined, wanting Hoseok to hurry and get off of him.

“Opps, let me help you there.” Hoseok smiled sheepishly, giving a firm pull at the younger boy’s hand, all the while helping Yoongi up from the ground, who apparently was complaining as well.

When they settled down, all pair of eyes carefully glanced back over to that one figure.

Jungkook was still at doorway, watching the scene with amusement. Seriously, he didn’t know that it’d be crowded with a pack of his friends trying to eavesdrop on his conversation with the headmaster. How hilarious. He held back the urge to chuckle right then and there.

You guys are indeed my best friends.

Everyone’s eyes rounded, immediately attacking the boy with questions one after another.

“Holy crap, one at a time guys. I can’t answer fifty.” Jungkook rolled his eyes.

“What did you and the man talk about?! Please don’t tell me you’re in deep .” Yoongi started.

“I’m fine, nothing really happened.” He answered.

“Seriously? Nothing at all?” Jimin probed on further, totally bewildered in disbelief.

Jungkook nodded nonchalantly, “If you’d call two weeks of detention something, then go ahead.” It was funny how everyone was making a big deal out of this, as if he was fed off to the sharks or something, which clearly wasn’t the case. The situation was different this time.

The headmaster decided to let him go with nothing but two weeks of detention, seeing how the boy had good standing in academic records to begin with. Jeez, talk about the use of reputation.

“Really?!” Hoseok’s eyes widened, wanting to confirm it a second time.

“Yeah, really.” Jungkook shook his head with a small smile, his eyes quickly glancing over everybody who was present. Landing his gaze on her, his eyes softened at the way she looked.

Haekyung was frowning at him, not knowing how she should be feeling as no words came out.

He restrained himself from chuckling out loud.

Why was it that even though she looked angry and frustrated, her frown only made her look more adorable than she already was? Sighing, he momentarily looked elsewhere when he heard his name being called. Sohee looked up at him, relief written all over her face as she smiled.

Seeing that everyone had now been more freed from the tensed atmosphere from before, Haekyung looked away, dropping her gaze elsewhere as she walked off the other direction.

Nobody really noticed since everyone else was still practically crowded around the boy.

Jungkook worriedly glanced at her retreating back, sighing as he cut the conversation he had with his friends short, assuring that he was absolutely fine, and that it won’t ever happen again.

Taehyung and Sohee who stood next to each other blinked in surprise.

They watched as Jungkook went after Haekyung to catch up with her. Sohee uneasily forced a light smile, and Taehyung who immediately caught onto what she was feeling bit his lips, gaze unknowingly lingering beneath him as he stayed right by her side. The girl dejectedly sighed.

Jungkook, I guess you really do like Haekyung after all.

 

 

 

---

Only the sounds of their light footsteps could be heard, causing a comfortable silence to bounce off of the walls. Neither of them said a word, but it didn’t cease their movements either.

The girl had her eyes trained on the floor as she slowly walked on ahead.

She knew that he was just right behind her, yet the boy himself haven’t said a word at all.

Just five minutes later when he couldn’t really bear it any longer, Jungkook sighed, doubling his pace forwards so that he’d fall right in step beside her, while her eyes remained connected with the ground. He frowned playfully, gaze falling down to the palm of her right hand.

Haekyung only looked up when she felt the boy interlacing his hand with hers, startling her.

“What are you doing?” She asked, suddenly feeling embarrassed.

Jungkook smiled, “Holding my polar bear’s hand?”

She lightly rolled her eyes, trying to hide what she felt.  “Jungkook, let go of my hand.”

He shook his head in an attempt to , “Not until you tell me why you’re mad at me.”

Haekyung looked up at him, confused. She then blinked, “Who said that I was mad?”

The boy raised a brow at her question, wondering if she had forgotten of the fact that she had literally just left him without a word, more so that earlier, she had been frowning at him as well.

The girl sighed, “I’m not mad at you, okay? I never was.”

Hearing her say that made him felt sort of relieved. But it still didn’t really answer his question. So all he did was look at her expectantly, patiently waiting for her to speak her mind.

“I guess I’m just a bit caught off guard and frustrated that you’d do something like that.”

“Like what?” He blinked.

“Getting yourself in trouble just for someone like me. It’s not worth it, Jungkook.” She admitted.

This caused him to almost frown at her. He spoke up, “Why do you think that way?”

She looked away, not knowing how to really answer his question. “I don’t know? I just do. Besides, would you really want to risk putting your education over such trivial matters involving me?” The girl explained, referring to what might have happened if the boy had gotten a heavier punishment than the lighter one had right now, which was surprisingly lucky.

Haekyung was expecting him to reply right about now, but his silence caused her to tense.

She had no idea what he was feeling at this very moment.

Jungkook bit his lips, not knowing how to let her know otherwise, that she really meant more to him than she would have ever known up till this point. He had always been the one to conceal his emotions rather than letting it carelessly flee. Maybe something like this should’ve been said?

Taking the courage to answer her, the boy exhaled a breath of air before parting his lips.

Haekyung listened intently, waiting for his response.

The second she did that though, the girl felt that strange feeling come rising back up the pit of her stomach, her heart feeling lighter than usual as if she had been hit with a wave of emotions.

“Of course you’re worth it, idiot. Haven’t you heard me saying that you’re precious to me?”

Surprised with his words, she angled her head up to meet his gaze, only to see Jungkook attractively smile down at her, that hint of gentleness still evident whenever he had done so.

Feeling her cheeks grow a shade lighter, Haekyung tried hard to suppress the colour from worsening, awkwardly coughing in a pretty bad attempt to hide her obvious state of nervousness.

Do you really mean that, Jungkook?

“You’re really spluttering weird things right now. Did you not get enough sleep these days?”

Jungkook scoffed playfully, “I’ve had plenty, for your information.”

She bit her lips, “Oh.”

Haekyung didn’t even notice, but all this while, he had still been holding her hand.

This time, instead of pulling away like she usually would have, the girl let it go, secretly enjoying the warmth that radiated from the palm of his soft hand. Though it was better if he didn’t know.

Heck, what if he decided to about being a ert and all?

She shuddered lightly to get those thoughts off her mind, eyes fixed on the ground as she lightly kicked a pebble with each passing distance, as if it was the most interesting thing in the world.

To be honest, it was only because Haekyung fell silent, not knowing what else to say.

Was there anything that even needed to be said anyways? The silence was somewhat comforting.

Jungkook felt the same way too.

“By the way, you’re going to visit me while I have detention, right?” He suddenly asked.

Haekyung raised a brow, “Why? Do I need to?”

Jungkook’s face fell dramatically, “Hey, are you seriously not planning on coming at all?”

Sensing that he was sulking on his own accord, she stifled a small smile that hung at the corner of her lips as she kept her face straight. He looked kind of cute that way, though she’s never really thought that way of him before. Clearing , she managed to look elsewhere, unfazed.

“Hey.” He shook her arm lightly, while the girl whistled.

“Can I help you?” Haekyung smiled, acting as if she didn’t even know what he was talking about.

“How do you expect me to survive two weeks of detention without you?” He gaped.

“You’ll survive just fine, idiot. It’s not the end of the world.”

“Yeah, it is.”

“No, it’s not.”

“Is too.

“Is not.”

“You’re seriously mean, polar bear.” Jungkook narrowed his eyes at her in disbelief.

Haekyung shrugged boredly, “I am?”

“Wow. Do you need me to spell it out for you?” He stated sarcastically.

The next second, the girl suddenly burst out laughing, completely catching him off by surprise. Jungkook stared at her, simply dumbfounded. She quieted down only a minute later.

“I was just kidding. Jeez, acting as if you can’t live without me. I bet you only want me there in detention so that I’d do all the work for you or something.” She randomly guessed, amused.

“How’d you know?” Jungkook started chuckling.

Her face fell, “Wait, you were really going to ask me to do that? Wow, you’re so nice.”

The boy smiled. “Hey, you’re the one who suggested it in the first place.” He defended, as if he didn’t know that Haekyung had only been joking around this entire time. She scoffed afterwards.

“Well, then. I guess I won’t be stopping by for a visit.” Haekyung walked off without him.

Their hands weren’t linked anymore, as they were a few metres apart.

“Aww, don’t be mad.” He caught up with her once more, placing an arm around the nape of her neck, pulling her in as he smiled teasingly. Startled, she yanked her neck back in surprise.

Jungkook grinned, “Even if you did want to do my homework, I wouldn’t let you.”

She blinked, “You wouldn’t?”

“Of course not, I wouldn’t want to get all my answers wrong, only to have to complete more.”

Haekyung huffed at him, “What?! Hey, I’m not as dumb as you think I am.”

The boy laughed loudly, “I never said you were, polar bear. Jeez, can’t you take a joke?” She rolled her eyes, trying to pull his arm away so that she could proceed on with ditching him right here.

“Sometimes, I really hate you.” She muttered out loud.

“By hate, you mean love, right?” Jungkook pinched her on the cheeks affectionately.

Haekyung’s eyes instantly rounded in realization, “Eww, what?! No!”

“Oh, come on. I know you do.” He chuckled, trailing after her with his arms spread wide open, as if he was doing it on purpose to mess and scare her. Her eyes widened, turning back around to immediately run away from him before he could possibly catch up to her this time.

Boy, did her freaking ankle restrain her from doing so though.

The only thing she could do at this point was to jog, though it actually made her look pretty stupid, as the girl herself would occasionally wobble and stumble forth, her balance completely off.

“Stop chasing me, Jungkook!” Haekyung shouted.

Jungkook shook his head with that usual smirk of his, “Not until you give me a hug.”

Seeing him trailing right behind her from a few feet away, she gaped, speeding even harder. However, this time around, Jungkook had failed to see the soft smile that Haekyung had bit back from, as she had her back faced to him, while the corners of her lips began to curve upwards.

“Don’t you dare come closer, idiot!” 

 

 

 

---

Before she could even step out of the school’s property to head back home for the day, the girl blinked when he passed by, stopping right in front of her as he firmly held the bicycle in place.

The boy gazed up at her with that playful smile.

Jungkook casually sat at the front, gesturing her to climb back onto the seat right behind him.

She walked over a bit closer to him, inspecting both the boy and the bike on the ground. Raising a brow, she had a rather confused look on her face. Haekyung blinked, “What are you doing?”

He turned to her nonchalantly, “Just get on, I’m taking you home.”

Due to her injury, Haekyung had been getting to school by foot for the past week, afraid that some repetitive motions from exerting too force from using a bike would only worsen her condition. But either way, it wasn’t too bad considering that the school wasn’t located that far.

Haekyung stared at him blankly, “Thanks, but I’ll be okay. It’s not even that far back.”

Looking up at her, he crossed his arms in disapproval.

“Either you get on, or I’ll just have to carry you back, Haekyung.” Jungkook flashed her a teasing smile, not letting her have the option to not choose. She nearly gaped at what he had just said.

“Can I not choose either then?” The girl softly chuckled as she tried to side-step him.

The boy shook his head with a small frown, “Yup, looks like you’re getting on my back then.”

Haekyung almost yelped when Jungkook softly grabbed her wrists in his hold, placing it right around his neck as the boy attempted on getting her to climb on his back, only to laugh out loud.

Looks like we’re both equally stubborn, huh?

“Jungkook, let me down!” She shouted in embarrassment, though only her arms were securely wrapped around his neck, rather than having both her legs tucked around his waist for good measure. In other words, it just made it look like the girl was giving the boy a back-hug.

He grinned in amusement, “Now, I really just want to carry you back home, polar bear.”

Haekyung rolled her eyes in defeat, quickly unhooking her arms around the boy’s neck as fast as could, obediently hopping onto the back of Jungkook’s bike, as if she had no other choice.

Jungkook, you idiot.

Eventually, she found herself biting her lips with a small and grateful smile.

He clicked his tongue feeling satisfied, getting back onto his seat at the front while he poked the girl’s head back with his index finger, a grin taking over his features. “I’d thought so, polar bear.”

She softly poked him back on his cheek, playfully scowling at him in return. “Just pedal, you idiot.”

Jungkook lightly scoffed at her, “Oh, fine. Jeez, you’re so impatient.”

The girl casually shrugged her shoulders at him, looking elsewhere as she placed her hands behind the back of his red hoodie, grabbing hold of it in place as a measure of travelling safety.

He slightly turned, angling his head down to see what Haekyung was doing just now.

“Are you trying to fall or something?” Raising a brow at her, he almost laughed out loud again at her stubbornness. Had she always been this reserved about sharing skinship? How unique.

Seeing that the girl only shook her head at his answer, he rolled his eyes at her.

Okay, there was just no way he would let her ride on a bike with him like that. She’d obviously get hurt. Even an idiot would know that. Reaching both arms behind his back, he gently placed both palms over her hands, pulling them towards the front as he positioned it onto his waist.

Haekyung’s eyes rounded, looking up at him.

She felt herself start to get nervous around him again. Ugh, what’s wrong with her these days?

Jungkook smiled at her softly, “This is how it’s done, polar bear. So, don’t you dare and let go.”

Before she could protest at him out of surprise, the girl yelped when she felt him take off rather quickly. Holy crap, was he fast at pedalling. It only made her tighten her hold around his waist.

“Jeon Jungkook, slow down!”

“What was that? Too slow?” He grinned, totally enjoying this moment.

From just behind, he felt her pressed against him for reassurance. Gradually, the rate of his heart unknowingly sped up when Haekyung hesitantly placed her head behind his back, resting there.

Jungkook then bit his lips with a slight smile, “Is it comfortable like this, Haekyung?”

She shook her head playfully, “Nope, it’s not comfortable at all.”

“Why?” The boy pouted, not satisfied.

Haekyung carefully chuckled to herself, seemingly having a good time teasing him back for once. Who said that he was the only one allowed to around all the freaking time? Haha.

“You have a grandpa’s back, why’s it so hard and stiff?” Haekyung burst out laughing this time.

Jungkook’s face fell, “What?! No I don’t.”

“How about I just call you grandpa from now on?” She joked.

The boy rolled his eyes, “Not a chance, polar bear. If you do, then you’re so dead.”

She arched a brow at him in amusement, totally tempted on doing nothing but just that. Wouldn’t it be totally hilarious if that’d be his nickname for her now? Yup, definitely.

“Okay, grandpa. Jeez, calm your temper.”

Not hearing a response from him, the girl suddenly gasped when she felt the bike speed up another notch, totally scaring the hell out of her as if she wasn’t expecting it. Haekyung frowned.

This time, the boy was the one to have his own share of fun, laughing adorably.

“Jeon Jungkook!”

 

 

 

---

Slowing down, he peered over his shoulder, glancing down at the girl who had already pulled away, steadying her feet on the ground before facing him. The boy then slowly secured his bike.

Haekyung’s eyes suddenly fell to the ground, “Thanks for the ride, Jungkook.”

Seeing her like this, he felt himself stare at her in adoration. It’s quite funny since she seemed like a nervous kid who couldn’t even lift their heads up, as if they were punished or something.

He stretched an arm out, lightly tapping her on the cheek.

She then looked up at him, slightly confused. For a while, he didn’t say anything, only worrying her more. That playful glint that was once in his eyes converted to a sincere, and gentle gaze.

Haekyung blinked.

The boy took a step forward, resting a hand over the tip of her head as he looked into her eyes.

She unknowingly held her breathe. I can't read what’s on your mind, Jungkook.

To be honest, the girl herself had no idea what he was doing, much-less know how he was feeling right about now. Oh, just why was he so confusing? However, she felt the warmth radiate from his hand, and it was somehow really comforting. She wouldn’t have minded even if he had decided to keep it in place. If it was if Jungkook had wanted to reach out to her, caringly.

The two were still steadily gazing into each other’s eyes.

Until the boy parted his lips to speak, catching her by total surprise. His face lit up with a delicate smile at her reaction. In response, Haekyung felt her heart warm at what he was about to say.

“From now on, I’ll always be here for you. So, don’t you dare to try and forget, Haekyung.”

 

 

 

Author's Notes:

Hey there! ;~;

I’m pretty much still kind of speechless as to what to say right now, since it still feels surreal to me. Haha. x) But anyways, I’d thought that I should just let you guys know that I’m really thankful and touched for those of you who’ve always stuck around, and gave me all the amazing support. Yup, that also applies to any of the new readers who were sweet and kind enough to drop by some encouraging comments! <3

They really put a smile on my face. So, thank you guys for that! T-T

Oh, thanks for taking your time to read this little note, and I hope that you’ll all have a great day ahead! (: