Not Meant To Be

Teased

 

Not Meant To Be

 

It suddenly felt like everything around her began to repeat once more, time spinning on rewind. The girl lightly shifted in place, slowly adjusting her eyes to the brightness that surrounded her.

Unaware of time, she had been right back where she started.

Letting out a small breathe, Haekyung reached her arm forward to softly tap a hand over the alarm. Turning it off, she eventually glanced around the room. Everything was still the same, she noticed. Despite that thought, she found herself turning the opposite way a few minutes later.

Steadying herself on the ground, she made her way over to the white drawer that sat on the other end of the room. Taking hold of the drawing in her hands, she could feel her heart sinking.

It was his birthday present to her, a gift that she had simply come to treasure as time passed.

Remembering those enjoyable and pleasant days as if it had only happened just yesterday, the girl’s gaze began to soften in place, her breathe slowing down by a pitch. Their memories together were long overdue. He was no longer there, she realized. Even though that was the case, she felt as if he had still been right there with her all along. Just like how he used to always appear before her in the past while she had only constantly wondered why, unfazed by his warmth and comfort at first. Perhaps she never knew, that images of his smiles and laughter would someday vanish.

At this very moment, she could only begin to regret all of their memories slowly fading away.

Reluctantly storing the boy’s present back into an empty drawer, Haekyung remained still as she gradually lowered her eyes to the ground. Pain evident in her eyes, she gently closed them shut.

These broken feelings only created a bigger gap in her heart.

Feeling down, she tore her gaze away. Deciding that it was best to focus her attention elsewhere for the time being, Haekyung headed over to the bathroom to get ready for school. Today was already the first day of the second semester. Everything had happened so fast over the first one.

It almost never occurred to her that she hadn’t wanted it to end this soon. It was certainly unavoidable. Changing into her uniform, she quickly glanced around her room once more before making her way down the stairs and into the kitchen. Preparing a bowl of cereal and milk, Haekyung tiredly ate her breakfast. In the past, it had always been like this in the mornings. So why did it suddenly feel so lonely and unbearable? Setting her spoon aside after a few minutes, she released a small sigh. Entering the living room, she began to search for some of the things that she would need for school, tucking a couple of things one after another into her book bag.

She only halted her movements a while later, once she heard the doorbell ring in the distance.

Not knowing why she had expectations after all this time, the girl only found herself wishing for something that seemed highly impossible. Even so, her heart began to lightly race in her chest.

Hesitantly placing her left hand over the door handle, Haekyung slowly pulled it open. Her expression slightly fell when she realized that it wasn’t the person she had expected. The girl in front of her only welcomed her brightly with a hug, followed by the other boy who stood beside her. Landing her eyes on him afterwards, Jin flashed her a friendly smile in return as a greeting.

Jaein grinned, “Good morning, Hae! Surprised, aren’t you?”

Referring to the fact her friend finally had the chance to accompany her to school for a change, she then nodded in response. Not wanting to disturb the pleasant atmosphere, Haekyung smiled.

She parted her lips to speak as she embraced the girl back, “Good morning, Jaein.”

“Don’t you usually walk Jaeho to school during other days, though?” She continued, slightly confused. Jaein shook her head, “Nope, he told me that he’d rather walk with Ah Yeon from now on. He even claimed that he hates me more.” Next to her, the boy chuckled. “You know that’s not true, Jaein. I can tell that your little brother cares a lot about you, even if he isn’t so direct about it.” She softly pouted in response, “I honestly doubt it though. That little brat’s been avoiding me lately.” He smiled down at her, gently ruffling the girl’s hair as a sign of comfort.

Haekyung only remained still, listening to the two’s conversation.

She then began to wonder when the two’s relationship had finally progressed up until this point.

Back then, her best friend was barely capable of exchanging a few words with this boy. It was a bit strange at first, but she felt genuinely happy for her. Jin was a rather decent guy. Outgoing, warm, and thoughtful. Informing the two that she’d be quick, Haekyung swiftly gathered her things from the living room before slipping her shoes on by the doorway. Finishing a minute later, she turned to them with a small smile. “Alright, I’m ready. Sorry for the wait, guys.” The two exchanged quick chuckles before pulling the girl along, startling her. The three of them made their way down the block, happily chattering. Well, the girl had been rather pretty quiet though.

Not wanting to interrupt, she walked ahead silently along the way. Once in a while, she would gently nod or flash the two a light smile whenever they would ask her a question or comment about something interesting. It didn’t take long for Jaein to figure out that something was off. Jaein softened, “Are you alright, Hae? You’re kind of quiet.” Jin agreed as well, gently nodding.

Haekyung froze, caught off guard. “Yeah, I’m okay.. I still don’t think I’m exactly awake yet.”

Concerned, her friend slowly linked arms with her. “Aw, you can always rest up during lunch though. I’ll find you a better spot later, alright?” Gently shaking her head, she flashed her friend a warm gaze, “Don’t worry, Jaein. Have you forgotten that I’m really not a morning person?”

“Oh, right. You totally hate Mondays.”

Lightly chuckling at the girl’s forgetfulness, Jin glanced down at her a soft grin. Jaein gradually smiled up at him in return, her cheeks easily turning a shade lighter due to slight embarrassment. Figuring out what was going on, Haekyung only smiled to herself as she faced forward once more. Eventually reaching the school building up ahead, the two accompanied her until she reached the lockers located on the first floor. It was actually still early, seeing how less students there were crowding around the halls. Arriving at her own, the girl began to calmly organize her books.

Jaein patiently waited as she leaned her back beside her best friend’s locker. Next to her, Jin casually joined her by the wall, their shoulders gently brushing. She turned to him with a smile.

Noticing that they had brightly drifted off to another conversation, Haekyung took her time to sort through her belongings. Not aware that she had been distracted with what she was currently doing, the locker on her right eventually clicked open, signalling that someone had occupied the space beside her. The boy’s gaze remained fixed, as he directed his attention to his own locker.

Her eyes slightly rounded as she turned to him, startled that he had been standing next to her.

As if he was unaffected with his surroundings, he never managed to return her gaze. Dejected, Jungkook continued to store his books. Realizing that he wasn’t going to acknowledge her anytime soon, Haekyung slowly felt her heart drop as she gradually looked away. Feeling discouraged with his response, she never knew just how much it would hurt to see him like this.

Sensing that the girl was no longer glancing his way, he lightly let out a small breathe.

The boy hadn’t meant to avoid her like this.

But following after what happened that day, he simply didn’t know how to face her anymore.

He could still faintly feel his heart burn from those memories, as if they were there to constantly remind him that it was never meant to happen. Incapable of putting these feelings past him, it made him felt incredibly foolish. Even after all this time, the boy didn’t have the courage to let her go. It was as if she had already marked him permanently, a stain that would always remain no matter how many times he had tried to brush it off, unshaken. Not knowing how to handle this pain, it only made everything more difficult in the process, that realization tying him down.

And once in a while, Jungkook would wonder if he had still been the only one silently hurting.

Hearing someone call his name, he turned to the source of the voice. Jin casually placed an arm around his best friend, flashing him a quick smile. “Hey, Jungkook. I didn’t expect to see you so early today.” In response, he gradually turned to the other boy with a light nod. “Hey, Jin-hyung.” 

“How’s your schedule this semester?”

“Not bad, I guess.” The boy answered tiredly, closing his locker shut as he briefly turned around.

Just as he had done so, Jaein had been staring right back at him, a small smile on her lips as she waved a hand up in the air to greet him. Returning the gesture, he sent her another nod in reply. However, the only person he hadn’t spoken a word to up until now had her back faced to him all this time. Hearing how quiet it was all of a sudden, Haekyung blinked as she hesitantly glanced around her, snapping out of her daze. For the first time right then, his eyes had finally met hers.

Detecting no signs of warmth left in his eyes, she began to realize how distant they had become.

No longer having the strength to approach her, Jungkook lightly softened as he parted his lips to speak, his voice faintly reaching her. Dropping his gaze, he turned to head towards his next class.

“I’ll see you around, Haekyung.”

Following his movements, she could only watch as their distance continued to grow within time.

It was also right then that she had wanted to reach out for him. Haekyung had wanted to let the boy know.. just how sincerely sorry she was for hurting him like this. But learning that she had no right to do so, she only lowered her eyes to the ground. Quietly thanking the two for walking her to school with a weak smile, she then headed towards the opposite direction, disheartened. Jin and Jaein worriedly glanced after their two friends, not realizing what was beginning to happen.

They were slowly drifting apart.

 

 

 

---

Like any other day of the week, the boys would gather around their usual table in the cafeteria. In order, the younger ones had always been the first to arrive, followed by the older ones in the grade. Setting his grey bag over the counter, he noticed that he had been the first one to arrive.

I’m the only one here again, huh? I guess it’s better that way.

The boy released a small sigh, reaching his arms higher to lightly clasp his headphones over his ears. For a while now, he only learnt how to shut the world off around him as if he hadn’t wanted to be disturbed. Jungkook had done it so often, that he never noticed how quiet he had become.

He then glanced down at the food he had brought with him, not really having the appetite for it.

Taking small bites out of his sandwich, the boy felt his throat slowly dry up. Deciding that he’d grab a drink, he made his over to the vending machine just outside of the canteen, down the hall.

Soon, a couple of his friends arrived at the spot that he had occupied just a few minutes ago. Jimin and Yoongi grinned as they raced each other to their seats, completely filling in what was once empty on the left side. Trailing after the two, Hoseok frowned as he tried to squeeze in for an extra seat, “Why do you two always get to sit in the same spots? Come on, make some space.”

Lightly shaking his head, Jimin laughed. “That’s because I always sit next to Jungkook, hyung.”

“Yup, what he just said.” Yoongi added slyly.

Hoseok rolled his eyes playfully, “Jeez, you two made that pretty obvious by sitting next to the poor guy 365 days a year.” In response, the boys only chuckled at their friend’s grumpy tone, settling down just as Taehyung had walked through the canteen doors, reaching where half of the boys were. Behind him, Sohee peered over his shoulder as she flashed the other boys a smile.

She greeted them cheerfully afterwards, “Hey guys, what’s for the menu today?”

The boys brightened as they glanced up at her, delighted that the girl had the chance to join them for lunch. It wasn’t often that she had done so, seeing how her schedule kept piling up during the week. Hoseok answered her question with a grin, “Chicken and Lasagna, I believe.” She nodded.

Jimin groaned, “Again? I’m so sick of that already.”

“Tell me about it, it’s enough that my parents make it three times a week.” Yoongi lightly winced.

Hearing what the boys had just said, Taehyung chuckled quietly to himself as he pulled out his own lunch from his bag. Sohee occupied the seat next to him as she handed the boy a can of juice. He turned to her with a brow raised. “I brought extras, silly. The other one’s for Jungkook.”

She answered, turning to glance the other way once she heard her name being called.

“Sohee, are you playing favourites again?” Namjoon pouted, arriving shortly with Jin as they walked around the corners to occupy the remaining seats on the sides. She blinked, cheeks unknowingly growing red as she gently shook her head, “Huh? No, I just had two left with me.”

The other boy waved her words off with a grin, “I was just kidding, Sohee. If you happen to restock, remember to bring me some later too, alright?” She then nodded with a knowing smile.

Taehyung playfully nudged her, “Well then, I’ll happily accept it since I’m one of your favourites.”

Sohee deepened her smile, flustered. “Haha, you’re welcome?”

He reached a hand forward to gently ruffle her hair under his palm, glad that the girl had been feeling better lately. Just as he had pulled his arm back, she had flashed him a warm gaze. Realizing that he had always been there to cheer her up, Sohee began to appreciate the boy’s comfort. Perhaps all she needed was a little more time, to sort through her thoughts and feelings.

Even though that might not have been the case a few weeks ago, the girl was glad that she was slowly grasping the term of letting go. Taking this route would only help her ease her problems. After all, she had been sure that the boy would definitely be happier being with the girl he loved.

Sohee would just have to pretend that her feelings never existed in the first place.

Just as everyone had happily settled down, Jungkook blinked as he arrived with a bottle of water in one hand, calmly approaching his seat. Seeing that his friends had been present, the boy wore a slight smile. He then readjusted his headphones over his ears, tuning out everyone’s voices. It didn’t take long for the other guys to notice that he hasn’t been joining the conversation as frequently as he normally would. Honestly, it’s been happening for roughly three weeks now, yet no one really knew what was going on. They were just worried about him, hoping that the boy wouldn’t keep all of his problems to himself. However, he chose not to disclose any of his concerns. He knew that he would only become a burden to his friends. So, why bother to at all?

Perhaps nothing was going to change the way he felt, that feeling of hurt swallowing him empty.

Surrounding him at the table, everyone exchanged brief glances with one another. Jin lightly sighed as he softly whispered, “I think this is about Haekyung.” His friends leant in closer, confused as to what he had meant. Taehyung and Sohee glanced towards Jungkook’s direction, equally surprised. He was currently preoccupied with his music, emotions steadily blank as he remained motionless. Others might have assumed that the boy had only been spacing out. Nonetheless, his friends were all well aware that his behaviour was anything other than ordinary.

“It might sound a little strange, but the two aren’t really talking to each other.” Jin explained.

Namjoon blinked, “What the hell happened?”

Hoseok’s eyes rounded as he remained silent, while Jimin and Yoongi spoke up, “Are you sure, hyung? That’s honestly hard to believe.” The other boy nodded, “Yeah, it’s based on what I saw.”

Taehyung let out a small breathe, “Now that I think about it, they really do seem distant. I haven’t seen Haekyung around lately. I’m not really sure what’s going on… but I think Jin’s right about this.” The others took in the boy’s words, nodding. It was only several weeks ago when they had remembered that Jungkook had been completely fine, that bright grin of his often evident whenever the girl was around. But now, the boy had rarely been able to pull off a decent smile.

Sohee softened as she kept her eyes on him, seeing that he currently looking off into the distance.

Leaning his chin under one arm, Hoseok sighed as he tried to pick up suggestions from his group of friends that sat around him, temporarily confused and frustrated since he had been just as clueless as the others were. Seeing his best friend like this, the boy had honestly wanted to help.

“So, what should we do then?”

Namjoon crossed his arms as he leaned back in his chair, briefly thinking his thoughts over. He simply knew Jungkook well enough to know that if he hadn’t wanted to let out what was troubling him in the start, then it could only mean that it was an issue he wasn’t exactly ready to face yet.

“There’s honestly nothing we can do, if Jungkook isn’t comfortable with us knowing about it.”

And besides, what if the boy’s problems were actually personal? It would only make sense to let him sort it through himself, rather than trying to interfere with his process of gradually solving it.

Identically, Jin had also thought the same way. In response, he then added on to his friend’s reply.

“Just give him some time, I’m sure he’ll figure things out sooner or later. And I know you’re probably all worried about Haekyung as much as I am. But it’s not a problem we should be handling, it’s theirs. So until it’s resolved, there’s not much we can do asides from waiting it out.”

Beginning to understand what their words had meant, the others silently nodded to themselves.

Sensing how dreary and dull the atmosphere was, they began to miss those times back when the two had always brought them joy and laughter in the past, as if such moments were granted unconditionally. Perhaps those recollections had been so bright, that no one had saw it coming.

That days like these would eventually come to an end, slowly leaving behind a bitter aftertaste.

 

 

 

---

Looking far out into the distance, the girl quietly approached the oak tree planted on the other side of the field, a light smile playing on her lips as she glanced down at the other person occupying the space just beneath the shady green tree, a small book gently placed over her lap.

Haekyung only blinked, noticing that a page of her novel had been covered with a slight shadow.

Searching for a seat beside her on the grassy fields, Sohee turned to observe the girl on her right, parting her lips to speak just as her friend had also turned to glance back at her, almost startled.

Sohee greeted her softly, “Hi, sorry if I’m a little late. I was let out from my meeting just now."

In response, Haekyung flashed her a light smile as she proceeded to set her book aside. Reaching a hand into her bag, she gently pulled out the notebook that she had originally intended to return to the other girl, not knowing why she hadn’t done so earlier. She then shook her head, grateful.

“It’s okay, don’t worry about it. I was only here for a couple of minutes.”

Not entirely aware of the reason as to why the girl had asked her to meet up with her just at the back of the school near the soccer field, Sohee naturally began to start off a light conversation.

“Hey, how did you do on your math exam? I hope our tutoring sessions were actually effective.”

Haekyung deepened her smile, “Oh, I aced it. Thanks for your help Sohee, I really appreciate it.”

“Really? That’s great! I’m so happy that you did well on it!”

Sohee cheered in delight, happily grinning as she congratulated her friend. Seeing how energetic she was at her response, the girl’s eyes only softened. Right now, she was only glad that Sohee would always remain this way, not possibly having to go through the process silently of being hurt any longer. Because she simply knew, just how painful it was to be in that kind of situation. Haekyung had wanted everything to stay the same, as if none of her problems had ever occurred.

Back when things had always been constant, just before she had fallen for the very same boy.

Sensing how quiet and calm she was, Sohee blinked as she worriedly glanced over at the other girl’s direction, extending a hand forward as she lightly placed it just above Haekyung’s shoulder. 

“Is there something bothering you, Haekyung?”

“Just so you know, I’ll always be here to listen to all of your problems.” She continued genuinely.

Even though Sohee had known that something uneventful might have happened between her Jungkook, she just never had the courage to question either of the two about it. As a matter of fact, it was never her intention to become a part of this. And not realizing that she was indirectly involved, Sohee could only continue to put the pieces together by herself, feeling strangely lost.

She only managed to snap out of her daze, once she had heard her name being quietly called.

Haekyung slowly found herself glancing up at the sky, deep in thought.

“I’m honestly feeling quite okay though, haha. But I guess I’m happy to know that you’ll always be available to hear me out, so thank you for that. And I’m really lucky to have a friend like you, Sohee.” Just as she had heard the girl gently whisper her last few words, Sohee could only smile.

“You’re welcome. I could actually say the exact same thing about you as well, Haekyung.”

Right after exchanging brief smiles, they had casually led each other on in another conversation, simply updating one another about what classes they occupied their semester with. Only learning that her friend no longer had any classes with either of the boys, Sohee blinked in understanding.

Perhaps, that was one reason as to why the two were never seen around together anymore.

But then again, she couldn’t really be too sure of anything yet.

Sohee sighed, “It’s really unfortunate that I don’t have any classes with you either, Haekyung.” Turning to slightly face her, the girl let out a light chuckle. “Yeah, but we’ll always be able to see each other after school, or on the weekends as well. So hey, it can’t be that bad though, right?”

“Haha, you’re right. There’ll always be moments like these.” The other girl lightened up in reply.

Feeling the thin notebook placed between her hands, Haekyung’s grip unknowingly began to tighten in place, as if she was somehow hesitant to return it right then. Not knowing why she had felt this way all of a sudden, she let out a small breathe. Deciding that it would only be the right thing to do, she then glanced up at her friend with a warm gaze, slowly parting her lips to speak.

Checking the time on her phone, she hadn’t noticed that an hour had already quickly passed by.

“I should get going now, Sohee. Thanks for staying here with me.”

Haekyung smiled softly, straightening up as she reached an arm forward to grab her bag off the ground. Securing it around her left shoulder, her friend nodded. “Oh alright, no problem! I’ll see you later then.” Sohee had gotten up on her feet as well, a similar expression painted over her features. Breaking the silence that followed just a few seconds later, the girl then extended her hand forward, the spine of the latter’s notebook hanging gently between her fingers showing.

“Here, you left it with me the other day, just a week before the exams. I’m sorry that I’ve only had the chance to return it to you now, Sohee. I guess I had forgotten to.” Haekyung whispered.

Sohee blinked in surprise, not remembering that she had left one of her belongings that day.

But eventually noticing which notebook of hers that it had been, a thought had sparked her right then. Perhaps it was during that very week when the girl had been feeling rather helpless and confused, as if she had no other way to let out these emotions. That may have been why she had unknowingly wrote out all of her complications onto that single sheet of paper, as if that was the only single method in erasing her pain away when she knew perfectly well, that it had only been an excuse in poorly handling her problems that she had tried so hard to gradually drive away.

And right after that, things seemed to have gotten a bit better, although it rather difficult at first.

Lightly holding onto her notebook, she slowly glanced up to see the girl staring right back at her with a light smile, as if assuring her that it was only a coincidence that she had been returning it.

However, that speculation was cleared as quickly as it came.

“I’ll see you sometime later, alright? Take care, Sohee.” Haekyung flashed her one last smile, turning around to head home for the day as her friend watched the girl’s figure slowly fade in the distance. Once she had disappeared from her view, her eyes slowly trailed to the object she had been currently holding in her hands. Working to gently turn the pages of the book, she felt her breathe slowing down as if realization had struck her just then, her heart only growing heavy as she gazed down at her entry right before her. She had been right, noticing that it was indeed dated back a little over a month and a half ago. But that hadn’t been the only reason as to why she was beginning to fall motionless. The page hadn’t only been inked with the writing of her pen. Running her palm over the surface, the light in her eyes that were once there had dissipated.

Sohee could faintly feel several areas of dried marks created by tear spots, just next to her words.

Realizing that the girl must had read her entry just before she had returned it, Sohee gradually felt her arms weaken in place, her gaze beginning to falter just as she had just figured things out.

The answers on her mind from before had cleared, as if those pieces began to finally fit together. Right at this very moment, she only knew that none of this would have happened if it weren’t for this very entry she hadn’t meant to write. It wasn’t meant to be read.  The two’s relationship couldn’t have easily fallen apart, but against her favour, it had inevitably crumbled just like that.

Everything is my fault, isn’t it? I’m so sorry.. Haekyung.

 

 

 

---

That day of the week had arrived once more, so fast that she was beginning to lose track of time.

Silently recounting each and every one of them, the girl never realized just how many other days they had both been gradually spending apart. Perhaps, it’s difficult trying to forget that what was once there would someday no longer be there, as if it had never actually existed. That thought had suddenly occurred to her, reminding her that there were no such things as forever in reality.

It was just how things were. And yet, she just wasn’t ready to accept that definition.

Bright laughter and warm words were exchanged around her, circling her endlessly. That single recognition had encouraged her to slowly glance to her right, only to see that the seat beside her had been once again empty. During some days of the month, she would be able to find him sitting there right next to her. And on some others, that space would only remain as simply untouched.

Today was currently the last day of the week, so the girl had been where she was supposed to be during her Friday afternoons, right in the club that she was assigned to during the first semester.

Seats around her started piling up within time, while the one on her right had stayed the same.

“I’ll see you around, Haekyung.”

That was what she had remembered him telling her just a month ago.

Even if the boy had only assured her with this much, the girl should have known that it was only his way of gradually telling her goodbye. And somewhere between the lines, she managed to slowly grasp the meaning behind his words. Haekyung just hadn’t expected that it would affect her this much, to the point that she haven’t been able to normally end her days without a single thought about him. No longer knowing what to do anymore, she could only steadily hold it all in.

Distracted with her thoughts halfway throughout the club meeting, the girl slowly blanked out.

The class momentarily came to a halt, once another member had stepped through the doors just up front at the room. Sungho stopped his speech while Chanhyun lightly froze his movements.

He flashed the two a faint smile, half-heartedly signalling that he had been sorry for interrupting.

Taking note that the boy must have been tired from wherever he was coming from before making his way here, the president easily let it go with a knowing glance. Even though club meetings for Photography were scheduled every Friday, he hasn’t really managed to show a consistent record for attendance. Seeing that there were no other vacant seats left other than the row just at the middle-back of the classroom, Jungkook released a small sigh as he began to make his way over.

But noticing that she had been right in front of him, his heart began to slowly ache once more.

Occupying the desk on one side, he quietly took a seat beside her while he faced forward. Sensing that someone had been next to her, Haekyung blinked as she slowly glanced the opposite way.

The moment she had unknowingly set her eyes on him, she instantly felt warmth seeping through her, once she realized that the space on her right was no longer empty. Studying that plain expression presented in his eyes, she quietly observed him as he directed his gaze to the board, busy watching Sungho currently giving the other members instructions for the upcoming photo collaboration while Chanhyun walked around the room to pass around the printed handouts.

Haekyung then glanced down at her hands laced above her desk, rather silent.

It didn’t come off as a surprise to her anymore, that they were no longer speaking a word to one another even if they had both been present. Rather than believing that these situations were awkward, it was more of a state where neither of the two had known what was left to be settled.

They had both slowly realized, how the ending to their story was already set to briefly play out.

So was there really anything remaining?

The rest of the meeting had gradually come to an end, just as everything else had been equally discussed. Sungho blinked as he glanced over at the two that sat in the middle of the room, not at all believing just how motionless they were. The boy remembered that it was only during the first semester that they had been the brightest pair in the entire class, often breaking out into small talks and frequent arguments. Even though they were loud, the president had somehow secretly enjoyed these moments that his two favourite members had provided his own club with.

Chanhyun appeared beside his best friend a minute later, “I’m not the only one who thinks that something’s up with them, right? I guess it’s pretty disappointing to see them act like this. I’m really not used to it.” Sungho nodded, arms lightly folded across his chest as he began to soften.

Anyone could tell that they had been suffocating with all this silence directed towards one another. It was uncomfortable to watch the two act like this, as if they were practically strangers.

Sungho snapped a finger, “You know what? I’m going to fix this.”

The other boy blinked in slight confusion, turning to study his friend. “Really? What’s the plan?”

In response, the president only scanned his eyes around the room, seeing that half of the students had already been gone after dismissal, before making his way over to the two who were also about to leave the classroom for the day. The other boy just smiled at his friend’s efforts.

“You’ll see, it should be quite effective.”

 

 

 

---

Not knowing that his plan simply wouldn’t have made a difference, the boy had left the two with the responsibility of cleaning up the classroom, since the president would occasionally direct that duty to different pairs of members in the club once every two weeks. The two just hadn’t known that it would have been their turn for once, somehow unable to even decline as if they had no choice but to finish what was assigned to them. Besides, working in pairs would be much faster.

By now, they were the only single ones left who had stayed behind to clean up their surroundings.

The two could only blink in silence. Looking around the area, club materials hanging in several cabinets at the back of the room including rows of desks and chairs were unevenly spread out and clustered, as well as the distinguishable collection of dust that had been slowly built within time, as the sunlight peered through the panes of the window, a faint mark of smudges shown.

Other than that, the condition of the classroom wasn’t too bad.

They could easily call it a day right after tidying up the place a bit, even though it was rather inconvenient to be doing this type of work. Heck, the boy hadn’t remembered signing up for this.

Deciding that he’d manage the items stored at the back, Jungkook parted his lips to speak. Hearing his voice, the girl blinked once more as she slowly glanced up at him, gently nodding to his words. “I’ll organize the back area for now, you should just focus on tucking in the chairs. There’s some higher places that are hard for you to reach, so I don’t want you getting hurt.” Haekyung watched as he began to make his way towards the back, extending his arms so that he could properly grab hold of the films and posters that were messily stacked over the top shelves.

Realizing that he had still cared about her, she began to lightly soften at his efforts.

The two had worked in silence, each other’s backs faced towards one another as time gradually ticked by. It might have seemed slightly unbearable at first, due to the lack of words being exchanged. However, the girl had felt comfortable working close to him, despite their situation.

Perhaps after all this time, Haekyung finally learned just how important it is to appreciate and cherish the small things that she had never held onto before, back when she simply hadn’t predicted that moments like these weren’t made to be kept within her reach. No, they weren’t meant to last. There were time limits. And right now, time seemed to have been running out.

Just as she had fixed the remaining row of chairs at the front, the girl glanced past her shoulder.

The boy had already finished before her, calmly reaching for a nearby cloth as he started to work on wiping the windows clean. Instinctively, she eventually travelled over, joining him by the wall.

Standing at the opposite end, he wasn’t aware that she had been working along with him. Focused on what he had been currently doing, he managed to easily complete one side a minute later. Jungkook found himself inspecting his own reflection, a hand still casually wiping away the small particles that had formed just at the corners of the window. He then lowered his eyes, gradually making his way down the long line of windows as he passed by each one. Reaching the second last pane, the boy had mentally noted that he was nearly finished. Just as he had glanced up, he felt his hand gently come to a halt. The only thing he could see, was the other girl’s reflection as she had been standing just on the other side, lightly distracted. It didn’t take long for her to realize that he had been right in front of her as well, causing her to glance back at him.

They steadily gazed into each other’s eyes, sensing that time seemed to have suddenly stopped.

He felt as if he was no longer capable of thinking straight anymore.

Separated by the thick layers of glass, Jungkook finally understood just what his thoughts had been wanting to tell him. Perhaps, he had only been constantly trying to assure himself that he would be feeling alright. That these complications would eventually pass him by, just so he’d be able to ease the pain he had been struggling to lock away for the longest time. But it had simply gotten him nowhere. It was as if these signs were only there to remind him, that she was never meant to occupy the empty space in his heart, that single recognition sinking through his mind.

The boy was beginning to realize a little too late, that some things just weren’t meant to happen.

Letting out a small breathe, he slowly leaned forward. Lightly resting his head over the surface of the glass, he began to gently close his eyes. All he had wanted, was for time to slow down. Just enough, so that he would be able to pick himself back up without feeling so undeniably broken.

I can’t.. face her like this anymore. I guess a part of me is really broken.

Haekyung only remained still, intently tuning in to the rhythm of her heart that had somehow been decelerating, that familiar feeling of sorrow gradually spreading right through her. The girl then found herself mirroring his actions, emptiness and hurt laced within her eyes. There were so many things she had left to say, knowing well that nothing seemed to have mattered anymore.

It wouldn’t have changed the fact that their distances together had already grown so much apart.

Jungkook eventually opened his eyes, only to see that Haekyung had been currently standing rather close to him, her forehead pressed against his own through the support of the clear glass.

He softened, bringing a hand higher up in the air as he placed it right over one side of her cheek.

Their memories together began to flash over him, allowing him to remember just how happy he had felt during that month when he had first met her, as she was effortlessly becoming the reason for his smiles and laughter that were filled with sincerity. Not knowing that his recognition of her would someday turn into something more, he only found himself falling right through the cracks.

The boy began to take one step back, slowly drawing himself away from her.

If he had a second chance to start things over again, then Jungkook simply would have wanted nothing more than for time to repeatedly rewind. Back to that very day when they had first met.

Just so that he could have been able to prevent himself from hopelessly breaking like this.