One Step Closer

Teased

 

One Step Closer

 

The field seemed to radiate in all possible ways today, with streams of sunlight beaming high from the sky, rustles of brown leafs blowing freely across the landscape. Looking through the fifth floor window, a pair of eyes ever so gently followed that one figure just down below.

Oh, how she wished Chemistry class would be over.

Situated a couple miles away, the group of boys from the soccer team proceeded with their daily practices, sweat perspiring from the heated games. Though it was partially cold, seeing that it was mid-fall, the wind soothed their exhaustion away. Plastering large smiles on their faces, the girls watched as their beloved senior reach the goal post, nearing it while precisely aiming the ball into the net.

The opponent’s team halted, sighed and exhaled as the coach blew the whistle. 

The female students cheered loudly, cheeks tinting pink when the boy turned to look at them.

“Oh my god. He’s looking our way!”

“Really?! Crap, my hair’s such a mess. Ugh, let me fix it up.”

“No, you idiots. He’s clearly got his gaze set on us!”

“Hah. What are you talking about? Oppa’s obviously looking the opposite direction!”

With the loud voices and whispers passing around, and the students making a scene as they squealed, he didn’t actually pay much attention.

Only one thing occupied his mind. 

His eyes roamed around the area. Heartbeat subsiding, Jin used the back of his palm to wipe a portion of sweat forming on his face.

Then with his gaze travelling over to the far end of the field, where the usual oak tree was planted, the corner of his lips tugged upwards slightly, before it curved back down. She’s not there. Every so often, Jin found himself constantly searching for her, whenever the boy managed to score a point for the team. Not knowing why, being able to catch her by the usual spot gave him the motivation and strength to play at his best. It seemed like the girl enjoyed the sport as much as he did.

Besides, they were now friends, so it gave him all the more reasons to act this way.

Even at times when he felt so stressed, tired, and down,

How could one smile from her make him feel light-hearted and calm again?

Seeing that the tree was vacant, the boy turned away.

He smiled softly, peering over his shoulder one last time at the same spot, jogging towards the center of the field when the coach resumed the game after the short break. Meanwhile, the boy had no idea that she was still watching him. 

Jaein blushed lightly, hanging open. W-Was Jin looking for me? 

..Nah, it can’t be. Why would he? 

Not when there were dozens of other females cheering him on. Yeah, she was just thinking too much. Definitely. Nonetheless, she still felt somewhat happy with the thought. A second later, the girl had totally tuned out of the lesson once again. Fist-bumping the table out of excitement, her classmates looked at her weirdly, as well as the science teacher when her crush made another goal.

Jaein blinked, embarrassed at her outburst.

Oh god. Did I really just do that?

“..Um. Sorry, it was nothing. Don’t mind me!”

The girl apologized, and everyone held back their snickers to themselves, turning back around.

Mrs. Han just sighed.

The woman then smiled afterwards, shaking her head at her silly student.

Looks like it ain’t such a great idea for the soccer teams to play during second period.

It was quite the distraction for most students, especially the girl Yoo Jaein. “Alright, turn to page fifty-seven.” Sound of pages from textbooks flipping filled the silence in the classroom. All but one. Jaein leaned her cheek against one palm, tilting her head to look towards that one direction when her teacher tapped the board for her attention. “Hello. Earth to Jaein? Page fifty-seven.” 

Quickly shifting her attention back to the book on her desk, she immediately turned the pages.

Man, I’m seriously going to end up flunking Chemistry If I can’t pay attention.

“I-I’m just a little tired, haha. Yup. Sorry, miss!” Jaein chuckled nervously, looking away from the window. Her hands reached for the notebook by her sides, frantically catching up with the lesson. “Hmm. Well, you should get more rest, if you don’t want to miss anything important.

Slightly confused, the girl pinked again when she caught a knowing look on her teacher’s face.

Eh, she wasn’t just referring to paying attention in class was she?

Nodding at her comment, Jaein’s sight dropped to her pile of notes placed at her desk. Abruptly glancing up at the clock on the wall, there was still half an hour left till lunch-time. Wonderful.

Ugh. No, wake up. I need to focus! Class is almost finished.

 

 

 

---

Lunch time finally came. Students started piling out of their classrooms towards either the canteen, or out the school for a quick break. Walking over to her designated locker, she unlocked it only to groan softly. Because of the fact that she was almost late for period one class, the girl completely forgot to pack something to snack on. Well, this .

Reaching into her skirt pocket, a light weight can be felt. She found her wallet, relieved.

Haekyung sighed, slamming her locker door shut.

Pulling her phone out, she sent a quick message to let her best friend know that she’ll be later than usual. After doing so, she made her way towards the large cafeteria on the first floor.

Honestly, if she could choose, she rather not be in such a crowded place. But it’s not like she could bare starving all day either. Nope. gaped open in irritation as she witnessed the long line. Deciding to just stay and wait, her eyes glanced up at the daily menu, exploring it. Scanning through the list carefully, Haekyung spotted what she was going to buy. With a couple girls shoving her forward from behind all of a sudden, she remained rooted at her spot. Hearing whispers and gossips of her, while her name was heard, she turned to them.

“What are you looking at?” One senior girl snarled.

“You’re keeping up the line. Move, will you?” Her friend next to her complained nastily.

Haekyung lightly sighed, sealing her lips shut tight. Not speaking a word, she complied. It wouldn’t make the situation any better if she were to retort back to them. There was no reason to.

The girl was already becoming used to people’s attitude towards her.

When her turn came, she went up to the counter to pay. But a hand reached out to grab what she was holding, piling up what he was going to purchase. Everyone turned to him, including her.

“I hardly ever see you here, Haekyung.” Taehyung greeted.

Returning the sandwich back to her after he paid, she glanced up at him. “Oh hey. Uh. It’s fine, I have my own money.” Handing a couple coins over to him, the boy pushed her hand back. She raised a brow, but not before biting her lips as the whispers around the two got louder.

Hurriedly shoving what she held in her hand, the girl stuffed it into his blazer pocket.

Now’s not the time. Thank you though.

Flashing him a bearably small smile, she walked off ahead. The boy watched the back of the girl. “Huh?” He blinked. “Your change, young man.” The cafeteria worker snapped him back to reality.

“Oh. Thanks.”

Not noticing the stares of the girls around him who had just witnessed the scene, he attempted on catching up to her. Meanwhile, his friends on the other side had just so happened to see the boy travel over to the other side of the canteen as well. “Where’s he going? And wait, wasn’t that Haekyung just now?” Yoongi piped up, and the group looked up from what they were munching on.

His eyes nonchalantly glanced over the other end, headphones still clasped on both ears.

Both of them were gone already.

“Uh. Yeah? I think he probably has something to tell her.” Hoseok commented.

“But did you see the looks those senior girls gave her? Not cool man. I saw them glaring daggers.” Jimin frowned to himself, shaking his head at how people could be so mean while he sipped on his fruit juice. Namjoon waved his hand in the air, as if he was already used to such things.

“Welcome to reality. There’s always bound to be people like that anyways.”

While everyone was busy throwing in their daily talks and opinions on certain things, only one boy was quiet the entire time, his eyes lingering over the sketchbook in his arms.

Yoongi hovered over, “Hey, what are you working on?”

Joining in, Jimin blinked as he leaned over the boy’s other side, sneaking a small observation.

Jungkook looked up from what he was shading.

Lightly smiling, he flipped his grey sketchbook closed. “Hey. No peeking.” The two lightly rolled their eyes, but not before teasing him about it. “Uh. We already saw everything. Hah. Since when were you ever so serious about such simple assignments?” His friends snorted.

Since she became my partner.

He only shrugged, “Why does it matter? I just don’t want to fail.”

The two exchanged glances, turning back to bump their friend on both sides of his arm. “You know, Sohee’s probably going to end up being lonely and all, if you stick by Haekyung right?” Yoongi poked that fact straight up, and Jimin just nodded his head as well. “Yeah, man.”

Jungkook took a small bite out of his cookie, eyeing his friends,

“What are you two dorks even talking about? She’s busy with council and club meetings.”

“Oh. Right. Almost forgot. But hey, still doesn’t mean she isn’t lonely!”

The other two boys then cut in.

“Who said she was lonely, you idiots?”

Hoseok and Namjoon shook their heads with a small laugh, knocking the boys on their heads. Jungkook just chuckled, parting his attention away when he felt the pocket of his pants vibrate. Swiping his phone out, the boy read the message.

 


From: Sohee.

Sent: 12:32 pm

Hi, are you having lunch with the boys? I finally happened to be free from meetings, haha. ^-^ Yay! I'm over at the bleachers near the soccer field by the way. Want to come over anyways?


 

Storing the device away, he pulled away from his seat, slinging his bag over his shoulder.

“Yo, you going somewhere?” Hoseok asked.

“Really. You’re going to ditch us too?! I swear, you’re becoming like Taehyung.” Yoongi whined.

Jungkook grinned, “Yeah. Sohee wants to meet up. And I thought somebody kept bugging me earlier about how the girl’s all lonely and stuff, huh? Don’t tell me you guys already forgot.” Jimin blurted, “Oh. Uh. Duh, how can we forget? We’ll see you later then. Tell her we said hi!”

“Me too. Tell Sohee that I miss her!” Namjoon added.

“Nah, how about you guys tell her that yourself? I’m leaving now. Later.” He clicked his tongue.

“Since when did he become so heartless?” Hoseok grabbed his chest dramatically, pouting.

The other boys just cackled, pushing some extra food over to his side of the table, cheering him up. "Eat up, hyung. Or you’ll just get uglier!” Yoongi and Jimin high fived each other, highly entertained as they watched the older boy frown. 

Hoseok threw a biscuit their way.

“Yah!”

 

 

 

---

Hurrying over to the usual place to meet up with her friend, Jaein turned the corner, skipping down the stairs without knowing the fact that there was a text left by the girl that still has yet to be read. Well her phone was in her locker anyways, so it wasn’t like she was aware at all.

Running down the stairs to the first floor, she squealed, tripping over.

Oh, how clumsy of her.

Fortunately, a pair of arms had secured her fall just as he had also marched his way up the second floor. Ah crap, here comes the pain. Jaein closed her eyes, waiting for the impact.

Not feeling anything other than a presence in front of her, she peeked through her lids, chest tightening in surprise. J-Jin. The boy glanced up worriedly, their eyes locked for a brief moment. Noticing that hands were still clasped onto the girl’s shoulders, he pulled away shortly.

He parted his lips, “Hey, Jaein.”

She took a step back, grateful that he was there to catch her.

But seriously, she had no idea that her clumsiness would actually be prevented for once. Well, not by the boy she really liked, that is. Jaein put a palm over the side of her cheek, trying to remain normal and calm. Yeah. Don’t embarrass yourself! “H-Hi Jin. Sorry about earlier.”

“It’s okay. Just be careful from now on.” He smiled sweetly, a hand reaching over to tap her head.

His fingers felt the softness of her hair, tangling with it.

Jaein mentally squealed hard, blinking down as she stared at her shoes wordlessly. The girl held her breathe, resisting the urge to blush. She then looked up at him, shy.

The boy snapped out of what he was doing before chuckling, “Opps sorry. Your hair’s soft.”

He spoke as if he had never felt any other girl’s hair before. Well, that was the truth anyways. Jaein just blinked, before slowly nodding her head. “Um. Haha, thanks?” It was quiet for a couple of seconds, before he initiated the conversation once again.

“Were you in a rush? I hope I’m not blocking your way or anything.”

She waved her hands, “Oh. You’re not! I was just on my way to eat lunch with Haekyung.” Jin nodded, walking alongside the girl beside him as they travelled down to the first floor. “And you?” Jaein asked. He turned to her, “Hmm? Well, I was about to visit my locker, then head to the cafeteria to join the guys.” Lacing her hands together, the girl bit her lips.

“..Really? Then I guess you should go.”

Although she secretly wished that she could spend a little more time with him. Noticing the cute expression plastered on her face, he somehow didn’t feel like hanging with his buddies today. “Actually, I changed my mind, Jaein.” She looked over to him, confused.

“Huh? I thought you were going to eat with your friends.”

“I rather eat with you.”

She could feel the heat rise up to her cheeks once again. E-Eh, he rather eat with me?

On the inside, Jaein almost felt like screaming out of joy, probably what most girls would do when the guy they like was so gentle towards them. However, she couldn’t even move at this point. With a soft chuckle escaping, he waved a hand in front of her face.

“Are you okay? You look kind of spaced out.”

“H-Huh. Y-Yeah. I-I’m totally f-fine.” Oh my god. Stop it, Yoo Jaein. Just stop! She freaked out.

The boy laughed, “Well, okay. Let’s go somewhere quiet?” He pulled her hand into his, leading her outside the school, towards the place that he was beginning to become quite familiar with. Since he’s always seen her there, he knew where she’d stay during break. Looking down at their linked hands, the girl gaped, blinding rapidly as she felt her heart stammer. Unaware of her state, the boy by her side continued walking, his soft hand closing around hers. “Here, right?” Jin turned to her, confirming where she wanted to stay as he let go of her hand.

“O-Oh. Yeah, this is the place.” Her eyes searched around for her best friend, but Haekyung was nowhere to be seen. Eh? Weird.

Usually, the girl was always on time.

“Where’s Haekyung? I thought you were meeting her here.”

“I have no idea, actually. I think she’s somewhere around the school, if she isn’t here.” Jaein answered, unsure of her own friend’s whereabouts. Jin nodded, gesturing her to sit by him under the tree. She smiled, lightly walking over before bending her knees down.

But before her bottom could touch the grass, the boy stopped her briefly.

“Hold on.”

Taking off his school blazer, he placed it over the ground, big enough for two to occupy with.

“Okay, now you can sit.” He grinned.

This is precisely the reason why I think that I’m so attracted to you.

Jaein bit the insides of her cheeks, making her way over next to him shyly. Seeing that he had no lunch, she quickly searched her own bag, pulling out a container of what her parents made for her, popping the lid open. 

“Um, do you like eggs and sausages?”

Wanting to get a better look at what the girl was offering him, Jin shifted over slightly.

He leaned over her side, her head just below his chin. Oh. Did he ever noticed how much he even affected her? Yeah. Probably not, knowing that the boy was usually polite, gentle, and caring.

Trait that she liked nonetheless.

“I love it.” Jin replied, a simple smile warming her heart.

 

 

 

---

Placing her bag down by the bench near the bleachers, Haekyung bit into her sandwich.

He watched her as she sighed, seemingly in her own world again.

Was there something wrong?

Figuring out that it didn’t seem like she was going to tell him anything, he just remained silent. Being next to her at this point was enough. Noticing a small crumb at the corner of her lips, his left hand reached out to gently caress it away for her. The girl stiffened, turning to look at him. “There was something there.” Taehyung smiled. When he rested his arm back by his side, Haekyung nodded, muttering a soft thanks.

“Hey. Why the long face though? Did something happen?” The boy probed on, hoping that she’d open up to him. It was better than not trying, right? He considered her as a good friend anyways, so it wasn’t like him to ignore what he was seeing.

I guess you could say that he cared about her after all. Much alike to Sohee.

“Nothing really. Just a lousy day like usual? Not enough sleep and work.” Haekyung shrugged.

Actually, only half of it was true, while she hid the other part that she didn’t want to unnecessarily reveal. The girl just didn’t want to get anyone other than her involved with such trivial things.

“Oh, you’re tired? Sleep on me then.” The boy grinned, shifting over.

Giving him a blank stare, she shook her head. “Uh. No thanks.” He chuckled softly at her answer. Yup, that’s definitely the usual Haekyung he knew. Always the independent one. Offering her his share of lunch that he had bought earlier, he placed it in her palm.

“Do you want mine too? You seem really hungry.”

“Are you sure?” She blinked.

“Go ahead. I’m not hungry anyways. Well, not as much as you’ll ever be.” Taehyung joked. 

As if she rarely reacted to his jokes, this time, Haekyung seemed to have responded him with a small smile that was satisfying enough for him to widen his eyes at her, amused. “Hey. You’re smiling, Haekyung.” Instantly shifting back to her normal expression, she cocked an eyebrow,

“What? I’m not.”

He laughed, shaking his head at her attempt of denial. Yeah okay. “No, I just saw you smile.”

The girl looked away abruptly, trying to tune out his jokes while she took another bite of her food.

The boy watched her, nudging her arm.

When she looked at him, he leaned over to whisper into her ear, startling her. “…Can you do that again?” Sensing that he was just playing around with her with that tone, Haekyung pushed him away lightly, frowning in slight irritation, “No! I didn’t smile. Stop it.”

“Yes you did.”

“No I didn’t.”

“Did too.”

“Did not.”

“Stop denying it. I saw it with my own eyes.”

“Ugh.” She turned to face him with her straight face, her lips curving up the next second, a smile forming on her face, “Fine! Happy now?” Shaking her head, she sighed to herself. He’s so childish. 

Just like Jeon Jungkook.

Taehyung smiled to himself, content. “Yes, very.”

 

 

 

Just above them, Jungkook and Sohee sat at the bleachers from a near distance away. He rested his back over the railing, while the girl crossed her legs over her seat, eyes before her on the field.

“How’s everything? I don’t see you much anymore.”

The boy asked out of the blue, and the girl turned to him with a soft smile.

“It’s great, I suppose. Just a little busy preparing school events, and scheduling meetings. But other than that, everything’s fine.” He nodded, closing his eyes in the process. She studied him, learning that he looked quite tired. Was he not getting enough sleep these days?

“Jungkook.” Sohee called.

He responded with his soft voice, “Hmm?”

“Eaten lunch yet? I’ve got something with me. If you want some, that is.” She fished out a brown paper bag, packed with what she was planning to feed herself with. Salad, and a can of soda. Opening his eyes, the boy peeked at what she had in both hands, smiling. “Salad again? Eat something more nutritional for your body.” Grabbing the soda from her, he popped the lid open.

The girl laughed, “Well yeah, I’m a very busy girl okay? It’s convenient.”

He chuckled, “Uh huh.”

“Hey. Now you owe me something in return for the soda.”

Jungkook peered at her, lightly smirking. “Wow really? I thought it was for free though.” Sohee grinned at his words, “Do I seem that petty to you? It’s just a joke. Yeah, you can have it.” Taking a spoonful of her salad, she took a bite out of it before scooping another for the boy. 

He stared at the spoon, lifting a brow at what she was doing.

“Try it. Since you always claim that it’s not nutritional enough, at least let me know if it tastes good.” Placing the plastic box on her lap, she chuckled while her hand remained near his lips. 

He blinked, inching over to eat it anyway.

“Yuck, it tastes plain.”

Pouting down at her food, she glanced back up at him only to see him throw her a teasing look.

“Gosh, you’re quite demanding. Did you know that?” He nodded, “Yeah, blame my dad.”

She laughed out loud, agreeing with what he was saying. Mr. Jeon was definitely a great cook.

Her phone then beeped with the alarm she had set, for when the girl needed to head back over to the school building before lunch would be over. She bit her lips, wanting to stay just a bit longer. Though she was close with the boys altogether, her schedule kept her away from being able to hang with them. At least, Jungkook, that was. Sometimes, she found herself missing him.

“Another meeting, right? You should go.”

“Yeah. Guess I’ll see you later then? Thanks for having lunch with me.”

He nodded, flashing her a lazy smile. “No problem.” Sohee smiled back, gathering her things in her arms. They both extended down the steps of the bleachers, strolling to the building. Sensing that he was still walking beside her, she turned to him with a confused look.

“Jungkook, you coming with me as well?”

“Nah, I’ve got to put some stuff back into my locker. Have fun though.” He waved her off.

Parting ways with him in between, Sohee’s eyes trailed back to his figure. The boy made his way further down the halls, his back facing her.

She grinned lightly to herself, turning around as well.

 

 

 

---

Back in the classroom, Haekyung was the first one to arrive.

The bell would probably ring in about another twenty minutes or so. Not having anything to do, the girl got up from her seat before sauntering over to the nearby bathroom. When she was finished, she made a short trip to her locker to grab a couple of things while she walked back. Creaking the door open, her eyes found the person she was least expecting.

The boy lifted his head, taking off the headphones, before resting it securely around his neck.

“Yo, Min Haekyung.”

“What are you doing here? You’re not even in this class.” She muttered, sliding the chair of her seat out, settling down. Unwrapping what’s left of the lunch that Taehyung had given her, she decided to finish it up before class. Hey, extra food was always a good thing, right?

“For your information, lunch isn’t over. Besides, I’ve missed you.”

Dragging the chair facing her sideways at the front of her desk, he leaned his chin on one palm, eyes gently gazing at her. She calculated the hands of the clock on the wall, turning back to him.  

“You idiot, we just had Art together in period two. How could you possibly miss me?”

Sporting a small smile, he shrugged, “I just do, polar bear.”

Kicking his chair, she made a face at that familiar nickname. Other than grumpy or chubby ahjumma, this one’s officially added to the list of the most annoying names ever created. Yup.

“Shut up, Jungkook.”

“To make it fair, you can come up with a name for me too.” He teased, poking her arm.

“Oh. I already have a whole set for you. Idiot, ert, Jerk, Stupid, and – “

The boy only rolled his eyes at what she said. “Wow. Can’t you try something different?” She knitted her brows, crossing her arms, “Like what? I think that’s all I’ve got. Nothing else is better.” 

He smirked, “How about Honey, Sweetie, Baby, Darling, or – “

Oh my god.

Throwing her pencil case at him, she glared at him. “Keep dreaming, you moron!” Jungkook chuckled softly, scooting his chair over by an inch. Uncomfortable with their distance, Haekyung scooted away by pulling back. However, he only repeated his previous actions.

“Stop it.” She warned.

“You’re fun to play with.” His hand found its’ way over to the tip of her head.

Letting his fingers loose, he ruffled her hair playfully, messing it up in the process. Haekyung slapped his hand away, only to scowl at him. Jungkook then used both index fingers, curving up the corners of her lips. She blinked back at him, agitated with what he was doing.

“Smile, polar bear. Stop scowling for a change okay?”

With her face in an awkward position, she swatted his arm away in irritation. What a weirdo.

She huffed, “Does it make a difference if I’m smiling or frowning? You idiot.”

Planting both arms on her desk, he rested the bottom of his chin down, glancing up at her innocently. Tilting his head to one side, he answered her with a sincere smile.

“Of course. Don’t you know that your smile makes my day?” 

She stilled, mentally searching the right words to say. How could this guy be so irritating and gentle with his actions all at once? It baffled her. She wasn’t even supposed to associate with a boy like him in this school, other than the fact that they were partnered up.

But… maybe, just maybe, she wouldn’t mind if he remained by her side a while longer.

Haekyung blinked, snapping back into reality within just an instant.

Wait. No. What did I just admit to?!

Shaking her head in total frustration, she averted her gaze to her bag, pulling out a textbook to occupy her damaged brain for the meantime. Turning to the correct page, she reached for a pen. Jungkook grinned, amused at her flustered reaction. 

Oh, guess that she didn’t hate him as much as she had once claimed, huh?

“Are you sure you’ll be able to erase those markings with that?” He shifted his hand over, exchanging the pencil he held with the pen she once had. Haekyung’s grip around it tightened. “Whatever. I don’t care. It’s just scrap paper.” He ignored her, pulling his chair over to her side instead, so that they were next to each other. She looked over her right, raising a brow at him.

What did he want now?

“Uh. Excuse me, but I’m trying to work on these math problems, idiot. So could you please not?” Moving her stuff away, she attempted on shutting him out, but the boy just started laughing. She frowned, “Why are you laughing?”

“Not trying to in or anything, but all of these solutions are wrong.”

Her eyes glanced back over her sheet of paper, eyes wide for a split second before gasping. “What?!” He’d better be joking, cause she’d be really pissed off, to know that her answers were at fault all along. If it was indeed true, then she’d probably end up failing the upcoming test too.

“What’s in that brain of yours? I thought I taught this to you once.” He knocked her head softly.

She rolled her eyes. “Well sorry for not being excelled in Mathematics then.”

Trying to get another shot at working on the problems, she stopped in the middle when the boy’s left arm curled around her neck, getting her to look directly at him. She leaned back, completely startled at their distance. Before she could freak out and possibly whack him on the face, he pursed his lips at her. Pulling his chair closer, he brought his arm around her tighter, his eyes looking down at the page before him as he grabbed a pencil with his free hand. She frowned, but glanced down as well.

“Do you see what you’re doing wrong?”

She shook her head, “No?”

Obviously, if she did, she wouldn’t be doing so horrible in the subject.

He circled steps five to eight, switching a few lines around with his markings on the page as a reminder. It was almost exactly what Sohee had done when she revised her work while the girl taught Haekyung. Seeing the resemblance in the both of them, she gaped, amazed.

Wow. Did they happen to teach each other in the past?

Sensing that she was straying from focusing on the question, Jungkook poked her cheek with the pencil he was using, bringing her back.

“Watch and learn, peasant.”

Haekyung glowered at him, “Jeez, Isn’t there a better way to phrase that?”

The boy smiled, “Nope.”

Still in the same position, she started to stiffen at his contact. Shouldn’t she push him away by now? However, that thought soon drifted from her mind while the boy taught her the steps.

She didn’t want to admit it, but, Jungkook actually made a good teacher.

Okay… fine. Good is an understatement, more like great.

“I can’t believe I actually get this now. Finally.” Haekyung breathed, freed from her frustrations.

“All thanks to me.” He reminded her.

Flashing him a closed smile, she looked into his eyes, and the boy just blinked at her actions.

“Yeah. Thank you so much, Jungkook.” This time, less harshly, the girl pushed him away, his arm releasing his hold around her neck.

The boy scoffed, “Still the mean one, huh? Typical.”

“And you’re still the irritating one. That makes us even.”

He then pouted, and the girl froze at what he was trying to attempt. No, don’t look at me like that, you idiot.

He stared at her, as if he was sad with what she said. “Am I that annoying?”

“What?”

“Even when I constantly help you. I’m always the idiot, aren’t I?”

Haekyung gulped, not believing what she was actually hearing. Was the boy seriously sulking at such a simple thing she had just said? That totally wasn’t like him at all. Nope. Ugh, why are you making me feel bad? “H-Hey… I didn’t actually really mean that, okay? So… stop staring at me like that.” The second she blurted that out, his eyes lit up instantly, lips delicately curving upwards.

Somewhat relieved, the girl sighed. Eh, that ended well.

“So other than a royal moron, what else would you consider me as?”  

As if saying that wasn’t already enough, Haekyung now had another question to answer. What the heck.

She stilled, not knowing how to possibly ever respond to a question like that.

“I don’t know? Possibly a stupid – “

“Anything but insults.” He cut her off.

She blinked, “What? How is that even possible then?”

Jungkook shrugged, urging her to go on, though Haekyung was reluctant to answer him at all. This better not be another stupid joke, or else she’d be annoyed again. Yeah. Knowing that she couldn’t really come up with a proper answer, the girl shook her head, brows scrunched.

“Why are you asking me such a stupid question?” She stated bluntly.

“Just answer it.”

Staring back at him blankly, the words were caught in . Okay, no. How did the situation end up like this? Searching for the right thing to say, her eyes parted from him, dazed. “My partner for the Art assignment?”

He resisted the urge to roll his eyes at her answer. Seriously, Haekyung?

Seeing that he didn’t even bother responding, she only fiddled with her mind more, irritated.

Haekyung groaned, “F-Fine. You’re my… friend. Satisfied?” On the inside, he was actually smiling at her adorableness. It’s amusing how it was so hard for her to categorize him in her social circle. Did it really trouble her mind that much to do so?

I’m your friend, huh? Well, that’s a first step.

“Aren’t you lucky, eh? Your official first guy friend, other than Yoo Jaein.”

Jungkook emphasized the importance of the word, laughing breathlessly as he couldn’t contain himself any longer. Oh, this girl was surely so gullible to fall for his acts. Earlier, he hadn’t actually felt sad. All of it was to only see how much importance he had stood in her heart.

It took literally five seconds for the girl to process what the hell had just happened.

Ugh. No, did he just play with me? Again?!

She stood up from her chair, glaring down at him. “I hate you!”

Blinking back at her voice, he gazed at her irritated expression, lost in his own thoughts for a short while, before reverting back to his nonchalant and casual self. I don’t hate you at all though, Haekyung. It’s just funny how she never failed to remind him that almost every single day. “But I’m still your first guy friend, right?” He continued to laugh, following her out the room. 

She stomped away, trying to get rid of the boy who was this close to having her explode.

“No. Taehyung’s my first guy friend. Okay?! Shut up and leave me alone!”

Jungkook smiled, walking up by her side in amusement.

“Aww, wait up polar bear.”