Caught by the Cat

End of the Road

Discontent filled him up when Namjoo smiled all the way through dinner preparation. It shouldn’t be like that…she shouldn’t be like that. Not if she saw Ki Hoon’s father, who seemed the opposite of her when they looked at each other.

Something was unexplained and curiosity perked him, yet he didn’t want to intrude.

How had they split up? Why did they split up?

Luhan turned to see his dad with Ki Hoon on his lap; the two of them watching some cartoon together. Ki Hoon probably didn’t know who his father was, but when he got older he’d want to know. He’d want answers about why he never grew up with his father and that would hurt him. Luhan didn’t want Ki Hoon to get hurt over such matter, especially if he were to become his father.

Ki Hoon deserved to know about his biological father if he was here; well and alive. It was only right that way, but it felt like Namjoo wanted to keep it a secret. Why? Exactly what had happened between them? 

If they got married, Luhan wouldn’t be able to have a peace of mind if Namjoo didn’t have her matters resolved. If she needed help, he’d be there for her. If she needed help talking to Ki Hoon’s father, Luhan was more than happy to offer a hand. What unsettled him was the longing in her ex’s eyes.

Ki Hoon’s father still wanted Namjoo, and Luhan couldn’t allow that.

What to do?

+++

Sehun didn’t come back, not even when Hayoung stayed after to see all the kids off.

“Lock up?” Her co-worker asked.

Turning away from the papers on her desk she nodded with a smile.

“Don’t stay too long.”

With another short smile, Hayoung turned away once her co-worker walked out. Drowned in silence and without a sigh she stared at the wall ahead of her. She still recalled how Sehun had left her yesterday in order to go after Ki Hoon’s mother. Today he left her again to run after the same woman.

Yesterday when asked about her, Sehun denied knowing her. His actions seemed the opposite of his answer.

What was the truth?

Pressing her lips together she reached for the files inside the drawer of the desk. It was against her good will, but the urge was too strong.

She ended up pulling out Ki Hoon’s file. At first she spent a long minute staring at the manila folder, smoothing it over with her hand before finally flipping it open. Papers and records of who his guardian was and other files required for enrollment appeared. Quietly swallowing she glanced through Ki Hoon’s record.

Kim Namjoo was the name of Ki Hoon’s single mother. There was a blank space in the square of where his father’s name should be. Her address and phone number had been provided in the spaces below. Before she knew it she found herself copying it down on paper while her mind replayed the memory of seeing Ki Hoon for the first time.

That day he’d come walking hand in hand with his mother. While Namjoo spoke to the head of the Day Care Hayoung watched him hide behind her leg clutching onto her hand as well as tugging on her pants. She wouldn’t forget the face that had caught her attention. The very exact face of her boyfriend’s.

How it was possible, she still couldn’t find an answer to settle her wonders. Curiosity killed the cat, she knew. She didn’t think the truth would hit her as hard as she feared right now.

At the very beginning, she found it amusing how a child could look like her boyfriend. It was a funny thing to think about, but suddenly, since yesterday it wasn’t so funny anymore. 

After walking out she found herself driving up a very steep road and pulled over to the side of the road. Stepping out of the car with the piece of paper clutched within the grasp of her hand she turned to look around the bleak neighborhood crammed with buildings that looked like shacks. There were dim yellow glows floating into the night air and quiet voices echoing all around her because the walls weren’t thick enough.

Slowly making her way forward with eyes running all over the place she finally stopped when she heard voices coming up behind her. Pausing in step she twisted around to see what looked like a family coming up the walk on the opposite side of the street. It didn’t take long for her to recognize Ki Hoon’s loud voice talking in unclear blurs, telling the man carrying him of something he thought was extraordinarily exciting. His tiny arms kept going over his head, forming a circle before letting his arms down, but his hands would go at it again.

“Did you hear that?” The man asked with a low chuckle.

Namjoo, standing on the opposite side of him out of her view, turned to look at them with a smile.

“I didn’t think you’d understand.”

“What are you talking about? I’m the only one who understands him,” the man beside her insisted.

She watched them go into the house and stood there watching as the lights inside . What was this? Did Ki Hoon have a father after all? Or was it his mother’s boyfriend?

A minute later Namjoo walked out with the man and Hayoung watched them talk and hug before he left.

If Ki Hoon’s mother already had a lover, what was it that Sehun going crazy about?

+++

“You baby him too much,” Namjoo told from the doorway, watching Luhan pull a tiny car model out of his pocket to surprise Ki Hoon with.

Her son’s face lit up with delight before reaching out for it, but Luhan quickly pulled his hand back.

“Nuh-uh, kissy first,” he pointed to his cheek and Ki Hoon leaned forward at once to give him a peck before Luhan handed him the toy.

“Really,” Namjoo ended up muttering as she turned to walk with him.

“Really,” he smiled.

“He’s going to be spoiled when he grows up,” she said, “you aren’t teaching him anything, but to become greedy.”

“Hoon’s not greedy.”

Namjoo glanced at Luhan out of the corner of her eyes as they stepped back outside. Pausing in unison he turned to her.

“Namjoo,” he started, but before he could finish what he was going to say Namjoo cut him off.

“I’m going to pull Ki Hoon out of the Day Care,” she explained, “if you’re going to say anything, don’t worry about it.”

She felt him run his eyes over her observantly. Holding back he stepped forward to wrap his arms around her. Namjoo’s head touched his shoulder as he leaned into her. Deep warmth touched her, but she didn’t return the hug.

“I’m here for you,” he comforted, “at all times, whenever you need me.”

When she watched Ki Hoon sleep that night while sitting at the edge of the bed she only knew of one thing and that was that she loved her son. And she heard it, she heard Sehun crying her name out. Nothing had been easy for her and she wouldn’t be surprised if nothing would ever be easy. At least Ki Hoon made her happy and gave her a reason to keep living. No matter how difficult things would become, as long as she had her son she would continue to live.

Reaching her hand out to comb it through his head of thick hair she smiled.

+++

“What are you doing back so late?” Her mother walked up to her with an outstretched arm once she entered her home. “We’ve waited long enough. I was about to have Butler Cho come look for you.”

Her face slightly creased with a frown as she stared at her mother who was dolled up like always. She was masked in mascara, powder, and smelled like hairspray and Chanel branded perfume.

“Why?” As far as she recalled, no special occasion had been assigned to her tonight. Once they walked into the large dining room she understood why.

Sehun and his parents were seated at one side of the table. Plates of various goods had taken up every space possible on the table that barely their empty plates fit. The rich Tiffany chandelier her mother had order from Europe glimmered over them. At once Hayoung felt her eyes rove over Sehun’s glum expression without say. He didn’t look at her or try to smile her way. He just stared straight ahead.

“Come sit, we’ve waited long enough,” her mother seated her specifically in front of him and even then he didn’t look at her.

Hayoung felt a breath of worry wash over her. Throughout the meal while her parents conversed Sehun didn’t bother to hit up conversation with her like usual. It was the first time she had experienced something like this.

“I have something on early, so I’m going to excuse myself first.” Sehun stood up to thank his parents. He bid them all a simple farewell with a simple smile, but as he turned away it rubbed off his face. Seeing that just didn’t feel right.

“What are you doing?” Her mother leaned over to whisper into her ear. “Go after him. Go!”

Hayoung hesitated before slowly getting up to go after him. She couldn’t explain the hesitation she was suddenly experiencing. Usually approaching Sehun had never been hard. He’d been inviting and kind…until yesterday.

“Sehun,” Hayoung caught up to him outside.

She watched him come to a halt, but didn’t turn around to look at her. Her heart sunk a little.

“Where did you go earlier?” She questioned. “I waited.”

“I don’t want to talk about it,” he quietly replied.

Was it like that? Or was it that he didn’t want to speak to her about it?

Sehun had been free with her before…or that was what he’d seemed like. Had she misinterpreted him all along in order to fit her ideal illusion of what she wanted in him?

“Are you ok?” Hayoung asked for some reason.

“I don’t know. Look Hayoung, lets talk another time.” He slightly turned around to look at her before taking a step away from her.

Her lips parted a little hesitantly, yet in desperation to make him stay. She just wanted to talk…

“Ki Hoon’s mom,” Hayoung started, “you said you don’t know her. Are you sure?”

To her expectation he stopped in his steps right away. This time he shifted around to stare at her with contradicting eyes she’d never seen on him before. She thought he looked a little defensive…perhaps mean.

“I…it’s just,” it was hard to find the words to fixate what it was she really wanted to say. “I was just surprised about how you went after them, so…so I went to go see them. Ki Hoon…he has a father. I saw them together.”

“Shut up,” Sehun snapped with a dark frown, “you don’t know anything.”

A stingy pain pierced her heart and immediately hurt all motivation to speak to him sunk out of her. Her lips hung low as she watched him turn to walk farther away.

+++  

It was hard. It was very hard. With Namjoo like that to him, that man with her, and his son who didn’t know about him.

Why had he been expelled without reason?

Everything was hard.

All the ache he’d suppressed thus far came at like never ending waves. The pain came twice more each time it hit him.

Sehun leaned into the arm of his couch hugging the pillow to his chest in an act of self and lonely comfort.

It hurt.

+++

“Who is he?” Her co-worker questioned in the morning.

“Who?” Namjoo wondered confused as she took off her jacket.

It’d been almost 5 minutes since anyone had walked in and they were feeling bored. It was just a few minutes before she’d be released on break. Luhan was due to pick her up and always arrived early, but for some reason he was late that afternoon.  

“The man yesterday, he asked for you; that one.”

Sehun popped up into her mind and she pulled on a small smile with a shake of her head.

“He came back to look for you yesterday. He seems to know you though.”

Sehun…came back to look for her?

Namjoo felt her heart thud as if sensing a bad omen. If he looked for her, it was a bad sign. She didn’t want trouble and she didn’t want to get mingled in any mess, especially not if she had Ki Hoon with her.

Namjoo didn’t want to have any problems anymore. Overwhelmed with negative energy she turned around to put her hands to work in order to keep her mind off whatever else may be flashing back into her head. Grabbing the towel from underneath the counter she began wiping the glass counter.

“I don’t know him.”

The door behind her opened, but she didn’t turn assuming her co-worker would go to his or her’s assistance.  

“Um…Namjoo?” Her co-worker called out a second later.

She turned around readily to help, but felt the expression ready to smile fall down from her face when she sighted Sehun.

“I’m about to go on break, so I’m not doing any customer service,” Namjoo explained right away. “Sun will be able to help with any problem you have.”

Namjoo turned away to start down the hallway to the back and walked back out with her bag strapped over her shoulder. She was prepared to walk out, but Sehun walked toward her blocking her way.

“Great, then lets talk outside,” Sehun stated, grabbed her hand without hesitance, and pulled her out after him.

Her eyes widened in surprise and shock before she turned to look at her co-worker for help, but she was just as stunned as her. A wave of fresh air slid against her face when they walked out the door.

“Excuse me, but what do you think you’re doing?” Namjoo questioned pulling them to a stop in front of the store.

“Quit it, will you?” Sehun turned to face her. “Don’t call me Sir, I have a name and you know it.”

Namjoo stared back up at him.

“Say it.”

“This is harassment,” Namjoo said then added, “Sir. If you would please let go of me, I have other matters to attend.”

Namjoo pulled her hand out of his grip and turned to walk away with her heart beating hard. She hated to admit it, but she was anxious and nervous. She needed to get out of his sight; however, Sehun forced her around. Namjoo barely stumbled forward when he pulled her after him toward his car parked across the street.

“What are you doing!?” Namjoo screamed.

“If you’re going for lunch, lets eat together, Namjoo,” Sehun said without turning to look at her.

A frown flared across her face.

“But if you say my name, maybe I’d just let you go,” Sehun paused by his car and turned to look at her, challenging her.

“What’s your name?” Namjoo asked all the while trying to ease her hand out of his hold.

She saw a hint of annoyance and anger skim through his face. Sehun gritted his teeth outlining the sharpness of his jaw.

“Ah…I live in an apartment now, lets go there instead,” he tilted his head to the side and unlocked his car before working to drag her to the passenger’s seat.

Namjoo’s heart raced and this time fought really hard against his weight to pull back, but he’d gotten much stronger than she remembered. She tried to drag herself back with all her might, but her feet still skid forward and Namjoo only saw the worst in her mind.

What was she going to do?!

Panic slapped her again and again deafening her ears before she realized a car was honking really loudly, stirring a commotion up around them. People turned to stare at them and at the car that had stopped in the road.

In front of her was Luhan staring right at them with a fiery glare from inside his car. 


***/police sirens sounds/ Now this is what drama is! Namjoo is running and hiding from something. Hayoung and Luhan are curious about who Sehun and Namjoo are to each other and why they split. And Sehun's misery is about to start raging. Uh-Oh! Hayoung's house and her mom definitely says something about her and Sehun's life, doesn't it? 

***And now, I'm screwed bc I only realized next week is the last week of the semester ~.~ But I've been so caught up with my semester long project I haven't looked at the schedules of my other classes and now I have to cram with papers and studying. Great -.-