Oh Ki Hoon

End of the Road

The taste of her lips and her skin scourged Sehun as they lay mingled in bed. The tenderness of her thighs wrapped around his legs was a turn on as she invited him further into her swollen part. The satisfaction oozing through him made him feel weak, but he thought everything was just right. Everything fit right together. Namjoo under him, Namjoo’s lips in his, her fingers through his, and she touched his heart just perfectly.

After pulling out he figured he still wanted more, so he took to kissing her enveloping the sweat on her skin that had emanated from their earlier intimacy. The tint of sweetness on his tongue exhilarated him as did the hot warmth from her body.

“You’re so pretty,” he spoke between the kisses, “no wonder I love you so much.”

Namjoo, who was his first love, smiled underneath him. Those delicate hands of hers were tucked well around him, touching the back of his shoulders soothingly.

“You look prettiest when you smile.”

He kissed her again and felt her hand climb up the side of his face as her leg shifted around him.

“I love you too.”

Sometimes, even now he wondered if those words had been meant.

A tired panting hit the air as loud footsteps approached. Hayoung, his now girlfriend, was running across the street to join him at the table outside of their usual dating spot, a coffee shop. It was where he’d first met her when she still worked as a cashier. What was funny was that she was his mother’s best friend’s daughter.  

Hayoung was clumsy, but still a sophisticated woman who had everything in her life in order. She was kind of his opposite. Sometimes…most of the time Sehun still felt like he was a mess. Nothing was out of order, but nothing felt right either…kind of like that. Nothing just felt right.

“I’m so sorry I’m late,” she plopped down into the white chair.

“The kids’ parents are late again?”

Hayoung worked at a Day Care. She loved kids was one thing he knew about her. And she’d do anything for them was something else he knew about her. Sehun suddenly couldn’t recall much about her except that she loved her job.  

“No, it was this boy. His mom made a no show, so I had to look up her workplace in the phonebook before she picked up,” Hayoung explained taking the coffee he slid toward her. “By the way, it’s so strange. The boy, he’s 3 years old, but I swear he looks just like you.”

Sehun raised his brow.

“Must be your look-a-like or something. You know how they say you have a clone out there somewhere,” Hayoung laughed jokingly, “unless he’s your son.”

Slightly stiffening up he listened to her continuous laughter before wondering why he felt instinctively alert.

“Please,” Sehun snorted.

As he headed into his home that late evening he paused in front of the playground near his home. A few young kids were out playing their own game of tag and Sehun watched. A long time ago when Namjoo was still in his life they’d spoken about having children, even took to planning out names. There were a few times when they slept together that he chose not to use any protection in hopes of getting her pregnant. If she ever got pregnant he’d marry her despite anyone’s disagreement; that had been his plan before she suddenly opted out of his life.

Shaking his head he walked on home.

It was the next day when he drove up to the Day Care in wait for Hayoung’s shift to end that things took a little turn. Sehun was relaxing in his car with the radio loud just as he liked it. The loudness of the noise felt like they could block out any other thoughts he might have. The brick building to his right was fenced in along with a playground at the back. The children were out that afternoon and very busy at their play.

Browsing around while yawning he stopped when his eyes settled on the toddlers at the back, screaming and laughing loudly.

“By the way, it’s so strange. The boy, he’s 3 years old, but I swear he looks just like you.”

Caught by a web of curiosity Sehun pulled the keys out of the ignition and stepped out of the car. Entering through the little side door in the fence he walked past the front doors of the Day Care as if pulled by some force. The noise from the children escalated when he neared and he paused perfectly in front of the playground to glance them over.

The colorful equipment that made up the playground swept his eyes before his eyes immediately landed on the boy magnetically. Sitting in the sandbox was the 3 year old in blue overalls. Sehun recognized his eyes, that nose, and those lips; they were his. The stark resemblance threw him off his feet the longer he stared.

Was it possible that he had a look-a-like? How was it possible to look just like him? A 3 year old…like him?

Sehun turned when the side door opened and a woman with short hair walked out.

“Ki Hoon,” she called.

Dropping the toy in the sandbox at once the boy turned and brightened up with a smile…a familiar smile. “Mommy!”

The woman slightly bent down with arms outstretched as her son ran at her and catching him, lifted him up. The child hugged his mother, resting his head on her shoulder as her arms wrapped around him protectively. Sehun felt a hammer strike his head recognizing that smile on that woman’s face.

He knew that smile…the smile that once set his heart racing till he almost hyperventilated. It was that smile that brought him into another realm once.

Kim Namjoo, his first love was a mother…

When the owner of the Day Care stepped out, Namjoo turned to chat with her; that smile out of his view. Sehun felt himself try to shift in order to catch sight of it again, a slight desperation stealing him over as if the smile would enable him to breathe. He needed to confirm her identity; if she was really his Namjoo or not.

His heart raced anxiously. If it was her he would…he would…

“Hey,” Hayoung’s voice broke into his thoughts and he turned to see her standing beside him with her bag strapped over her shoulder. “What are you doing?”

She followed his gaze, but by then Namjoo had already headed inside along with the Day Care owner to Sehun’s dismay.

“Were you looking at something?” Hayoung wondered.

“No, nothing.” Sehun turned to her with a smile of pretense. “Come on, lets go or we won’t catch the reservation at the restaurant.”

She smiled at him and nodded, but even at dinner Sehun’s mind was trailing. The food went into his mouth robotically, his hands moved as if set to function that particular way, and his eyes stared at the cup of water; but his mind was not there.

“Ki Hoon.”

“Mommy!”

Lifting his head up he asked, “Can I ask something?”

Hayoung glanced up at him and nodded.

“That little boy, the one you said that looks like me, what’s his name?”

“Kim Ki Hoon.”

“Kim?” Sehun repeated, his mind shaking.

Hayoung nodded. “He doesn’t have a father so it’s his mother’s surname.”

Kim Namjoo…

“He doesn’t have a father?” Sehun asked, his heart squeezed itself within his chest. His mind raced a little and flashbacks of intimacy with Namjoo in bed punched him.

“It’s kind of rude to ask his mother about why she isn’t married,” Hayoung started, “I feel kind of sorry for her. Working full time like that must be difficult for her especially if she’s raising that little one. If you think about it, she’s amazing in that sense for not giving him up. I know a lot of kids who have been given up.”

“Where does she work?” Sehun asked without processing much thought into the question or worrying about Hayoung finding him suspicious.

“At a Cellular Store,” Hayoung explained. “You know what’s interesting? Ki Hoon doesn’t really smile at anyone in particular, but he tends to be so bright around his mother. I’ve noticed he’s kind of like you. You don’t really smile at anyone or anything either. Why is that?”

“Oh…” Sehun muttered before pulling on a smile of pretense. “I’m smiling.”

Hayoung deepened a brow at him before returning to her food and Sehun’s mind trailed off again.      

That evening when he sat alone in his apartment he fought back the strong memories of Namjoo in his head. Sehun never found anyone delightful, but Namjoo always held this bright light with her.

Three years ago when Namjoo disappeared on him as if she’d never been there at all, he’d thought everything they had had been a lie. Namjoo had betrayed him, played him, and treated him like a fool. Everything had been a theatrical opera to her. Sehun had been devastated, angry, and depressed.

And all of a sudden…she was a mother? Sehun couldn’t stand the fact that her son looked just like him. Why was that?

Had Namjoo hidden something from him all along?

Honestly, he hadn’t planned on it, but when he woke up that morning he drove straight to the Cellular Store. It wasn’t opened yet and Sehun glanced at the time to see that it was 9 a.m. Turning the radio off and pulling the keys out of the ignition he stared at the doors for who knew how long till the a man he didn’t recognize unlocked the doors. There was still no Namjoo.

Sehun waited almost another hour until he recognized her walking up the street and into the store. Twisting in his chair he stared through the glass doors to see Namjoo wiping the displays and readjusting everything into position. When the door opened and the first customer of the day walked in Namjoo turned around with that bright smile that he’d once told her wasn’t allowed for anyone else. A feverish pain struck his heart and he stepped out.

The radio station he’d been listening to was playing quietly overhead and he looked around at all the phones on display. So this…was the kind of place where Namjoo worked. It kind of suited her and it kind of didn’t.

When the first customer of the day turned to walk away Sehun turned.

“Hi, how can I help you today?” Namjoo smiled at him.

Sehun froze when his eyes landed on her smile. It was…so perfect. It was…had been his. That was his smile.

“Sir?”

Caught, Sehun returned. He wanted to laugh out of sarcasm and amusement. How dare she…she called him Sir?

What was Namjoo playing?

“Uh…” Sehun droned on. “I want a new phone.”

“Do you know which one you want?”

“No. Can you show me?”

Namjoo walked out from behind the counter to lead him over to the ones on display and as she explained to him the features of each one, he found himself drowning in her voice. When he turned to glance at her his eyes roved over her face, the perfection he knew so well. It was the person he’d fallen in love with, but why was she like this to him?

After getting into his car he had to sink everything in. Namjoo was here, she had a son, but she gave him no acknowledgement. It all hurt.

He didn’t need the phone. He’d always wanted her, even after she left.

Staring through the glass doors Sehun watched Namjoo greeted the new customers and talk to them brightly.

Why was it like this?

That day even when he and Hayoung had no specific plans to meet, he went to the Day Care. Sehun didn’t go for his girlfriend; he went to look at the boy who looked just like him. The 3 year old boy that called Namjoo ‘Mother.’  

Kim Ki Hoon.

Was it possible this was his son? His and Namjoo’s?

Sehun watched the small boy leave his toy truck to chug down the milk another Day Care assistant brought him, but when he returned the toy had been taken by another boy. Straightening up in his seat he watched Ki Hoon stare at the boy before taking the toy back. The boy took the toy back and Ki Hoon immediately fought for it before he was pushed back by the stronger boy. And when his face scrunched up painfully to let out an unfair cry Sehun pulled his seatbelt off.

Running in through the fenced door he entered the playground to pull who may be his son up, carefully brushing imaginable dirt off his clothes. They looked brand new and he thought at once that he didn’t want them dirty.

“Shh…it’s ok, it’s ok,” Sehun patted the tiny boy’s back gently. “Don’t cry. Are you hurt?”

Ki Hoon stopped crying a few seconds later, but still sobbed tearlessly. Sehun felt their eyes meet again thinking how much they looked alike. He was confident, then, that he didn’t have to confirm whether this was his son or not. The evidence was his face.

“Who are you?”

Sehun turned around to see a woman he didn’t recognize, but then immediately caught Namjoo standing beside her.

“Mommy,” Ki Hoon called out and ran toward her sobbing hysterically again.

Without so much of a glance his way Namjoo lifted their son up and patted his back the same way he’d done earlier.

“I…” Sehun started.

“Sehun!” Hayoung called out running toward him with a smile. “Did you come to see me?”

She grabbed his arm and his eyes dashed quickly over to Namjoo, who began to turn away.

No! No! NO!

His lips parted to call out, but Hayoung tugged his arm saying stuff that couldn’t be transmitted to his brain. With eyes following Namjoo every step of the way toward the cab waiting for her his heart raced. If he couldn’t get to her in time, he’d never see her again, never.

Suddenly pulling out of Hayoung’s grasp, Sehun dashed around the building as fast as he could. Namjoo was opening the door to the cab and was slipping inside.

Rushed pants belted from his lips when he barely tripped forward, but at last he made it. Reaching out for the frame of the door he pulled it back while catching his breath. Relieved, he clamped his eyes shut and lowered his head before looking at her. Namjoo stared back without any kind of expression in her face and he thought she was really talented at concealing everything.

It was…unfair.

“You…know me, don’t you?” Sehun questioned.

She blinked.

“I know you.”

Namjoo pressed her lips together offering him a tiny smile, “The Sir from the store this morning, right? Yes, I recognize you.”

His jaw parted at the dumb, yet unexpected acknowledgement.

“Are we going or not? You coming too?” The driver interrupted.

Turning away from him she replied, “Yes, we’re going.”

His eyes glued themselves to her every second, unable to drop away. Namjoo turned back to him with a tiny nod and reached out for the door handle. Sehun reluctantly let go, watched her close it, and the cab drove off.

Namjoo…his Namjoo…

What had happened?


***I'm assuming many of you want more than a oneshot since it's about HunJoo and since they're the better of my pairings, so I'm making this into a short story. I'll use this story to make up for my failure of updating Locked in Heaven. 

***I added Luhan into this story too, since I did say I'll use both him and Sehun in a story after writing up Trilogy. 

***Huhu~ Notice Ki Hoon is HunJoo's son's name from One Way-Fairytale-All That's Mine lol