At the End

End of the Road

“If you love him so much, don’t force yourself,” Luhan told. “Even if it hurts, even if the world ends, even if you lose him again and again; go back to him, Namjoo. If that’s where everything started, then go back to base one. Start over…with him, with Hoon, with your whole life.

“No matter what happens, just remember that you’re doing this for yourself. What they say to you has no value. And when you lose him again, hold onto him with even more strength than the last. You’ll never lose what belongs to you again. Whatever happens, I, your friend, will be at your back. So don’t worry about anything and go back to him.”

+++

“Are you ok?” Hayoung asked when Sehun came for Ki Hoon.

Sinking down onto a bench Sehun stared desolately at the healthy grass, “No.”

Smiling Hayoung stretched her feet out before leaning back, “It feels good to see so many emotions flowing through you. Before this you seemed kind of like a robot.”

Hayoung tightened her smile when he looked at her.

“I don’t mean it in a bad way,” she told, “perhaps the end of something means the start of a new beginning. You know how a caterpillar has to become an ugly cocoon before it can turn into a pretty butterfly or how a snake sheds its skin for the new? Perhaps, this just calls for an end to what you used to have. A relationship has to be premature before it can grow.”

There was still no strength to be felt in his eyes.

“So what I’m saying,” Hayoung went on, “is that you’re giving up what you used to have for something better to come. It’s just reforming your relationship for something new and it can’t be anything bad. Nothing stays the same forever.”

“She hates me.”

“Maybe she does,” Hayoung agreed and Sehun’s heart sunk, “but she didn’t say she didn’t love you.”

Sehun turned back to look at Hayoung.

“You still have a card to put on deck, don’t you?” Hayoung reminded.

That was right. He already thought things through earlier. Even if Namjoo hated him all the way to hell, he still had to do what he had to.

“I’m sorry, Hayoung,” Sehun apologized, “for everything.”

“It’s ok,” Hayoung smiled again, “you’re just a bit slow. I can forgive you for that.”

Sehun turned away with a soft smile.

The very next morning he sat at the very spot he had with Namjoo long ago when he first ran into her again. It was here that she told him the story about her father and her heartbreak. It was here where they shared their very memories and it was here where he would fix everything. He believed hope was still fluttering its wings around him even if he couldn’t see it.

Hope had been with him all along. That was the very reason why Namjoo had been brought back to him in the first place.

“Do you like your mommy more? Or do you like Nice Man?” Sehun ruffled Ki Hoon’s hair while he sat on his lap.

Ki Hoon was too busy playing with a piece of weed to look at him. “Mommy.”

Smiling, Sehun put an arm around him to hug him close. “Rascal.”

This he knew might be the very last moment he might have with his son if things didn’t work out. Even if he wouldn’t be able to live with it for the rest of his life, he still had to accept things as is.

He turned around at the sound of tires churning against the ground and watched Namjoo step out. Ki Hoon immediately spun around before climbing to his feet and charged straight at her.

“Mommy!” He screamed.

Sehun watched Namjoo crouch down before hugging her son tightly and kiss him endlessly before peering at his face as if they hadn’t seen each other for a decade.

“Are you ok? I missed you so much!” Namjoo exclaimed with warm tears in her eyes and hands cupped around Ki Hoon’s face.

Ki Hoon smiled at her with a smile on his face. Namjoo hugged him again tightly as if she couldn’t get enough of this reality. Sehun smiled at their alone moment before standing up to catch her attention.

“Namjoo,” Sehun called and watched her look up at him.

She slowly rose to her feet with Ki Hoon’s hand in her grip.

“Go somewhere with me.” He wasn’t asking her, so he’d chosen his words carefully. He needed her to go with him. He didn’t need her permission.

“Where to?”

“Just…you just have to trust me. Just one more time.”

He waited a long time with the wind whooshing by. Anxiety pulsed through him, but he was determined. He loved her too much to let her go so easily and when she nodded hope grew even more.

They dropped Ki Hoon of at Luhan’s before he took her with him. When he drove down the drive toward the manor Namjoo didn’t speak a word. She didn’t try to throw a fit or escape, which gave him even more hope.

He stopped the car shortly after in front of the steps before getting out. Walking around the car he paused by the front step and turned back to look at Namjoo before holding out his hand. He waited quietly for her to take it. Namjoo glanced up at him without word and grabbed it a second after. It set his heart on fire and he smiled at her. It was ok even when she didn’t return the smile.

Sehun pulled her in after him as he walked through the winding hallways. It wasn’t long before he pushed a door open. His mother was in her study as usual, bent over her desk with a pen in hand. Lifting her head immediately she overlooked them before taking her reading glasses off.

“What’s this? Are you trying to put on a show?”

Gripping onto Namjoo’s hand with a bit more strength he bravely pulled her forward.

“Mom,” he started, “I should have done this earlier, but I was too naïve.”

She crossed her eyebrows and tilted her head back as if to doubt them.

“This is Kim Namjoo, the woman I want to spend the rest of my life with.”

Laughing amused by what he just said his mother turned to look back at them.

“What’s going on?” She questioned. “You haven’t had enough yet? Are you going to keep hoarsing around, Oh Sehun!?”

“Yes,” Sehun answered, “I’m going to keep fooling around for the rest of my life with this woman.”

Finally realizing the reality of the situation her face turned into scorn, “Let go of my son’s hand at once.”

Namjoo’s fingers flexed against his hand, but he kept his grip strong. No matter what happened, he wanted his mother to know his heart; that he could only be with Namjoo and no one else; that she wouldn’t and couldn’t have her way with him. And she would have to face the fact that Namjoo was his family, his lover, and his wife to be.

“Don’t you get it?! He’s just making a fool out of you only to abandon you later! Has it not happened before?” His mother went on wildly. “Are you going to let him play you so easily?! I’m a woman, I know these games better than you, you naïve woman. So let go of him.”

Sehun stood there silently praying that Namjoo would believe in him. Silence overwhelmed the room and no one made movement. What was running through Namjoo’s head? Did she still have to weigh the decisions available?

“I,” Namjoo grabbed onto his arm, “believe in Sehun.”

A smile filtered over his face. This time he was unable to stop what he was going to do.

“I’m leaving, mom.” Sehun stated. “You can disown me, forget you have a son, and remove me from the family tree. I know for sure I won’t regret this.”

Walking out he closed the door after him before quickly jogging down the hall. He should have left at an earlier time. Now that he thought about it he didn’t know why he hadn’t done it sooner, because how happy he could have been.

“Sehun, Sehun,” Namjoo called behind him, “stop.”

Finally stopping outside he turned around to look at her.

“Cutting off ties with your mother won’t change anything. Do you really know what you’re doing?”

“Yea,” he nodded. “You just said you believed me. Why are you taking back your words so easily?”

“She’s your mother…”

“She never loved me,” Sehun told. “You waited long. I’m sorry I didn’t do it sooner.”

“You’re a pretty bad son. I hope Ki Hoon isn’t like you.”

Pulling her face for a direct kiss he said after releasing her, “Maybe our next baby will be.”

“Who says so…”

“Fine,” he snuggled his face into hers. “Stop talking and just kiss me now. I waited too long.”

When their lips smothered against each other’s he thought Hayoung was right. The ending of something only meant the start of something even better. The relationship in which he had to continuously fight for with Namjoo had ended, and they would start on a new note today. Better changes would be made in the future.

A laughed fell through their lips when Namjoo jumped in order to wrap her legs around his waist and wrapped her arms tight around his neck. And he could tell that she was smiling as their kisses ensued.

+++

“My house is small. I’m not sure it’s enough for three of us.”

“I don’t care,” Sehun shrugged her worry off. “Now that you’re taking me home with you, you should buy me new clothes.”

Namjoo hit him across the chest, “You have your own money.”

Sehun muffled a laugh at her before they stopped in front of Luhan’s house.

“Are you going to wait here?” Namjoo asked.

He nodded.

“I’ll be quick,” Namjoo promised before stepping out.

After ringing the doorbell once the door opened. Luhan stood on the other side with a faint smile while holding Ki Hoon’s hand.

“Everything turn out well?”

Namjoo smiled and nodded.

“I’m glad,” Luhan told before bending down to talk with Ki Hoon. “You go with mommy now and be a good boy, ok?”

“I come play again?” Ki Hoon asked.

“Of course. I’ll be waiting till then,” Luhan promised before hugging him. “I’ll miss seeing you every day. You’re growing up too fast.”

Ki Hoon wrapped his short arms around Luhan and held him tightly. When they let go Ki Hoon voluntarily gave Luhan a kiss as if realizing they had to part for some time.

“Love Han Han,” Ki Hoon Luhan’s face. “Family.”

“I love you too,” Luhan kissed his cheek in return. “Come back soon, ok?”

Luhan handed Ki Hoon over and Namjoo took his hand feeling slightly sad.

“I’ll let him back often,” Namjoo promised. “He’ll miss you too.”

“Be happy, Namjoo, you deserve the best of it,” he sincerely told. “You’re still welcome here anytime.”

“Thank you,” Namjoo felt like crying, “for everything.”

He had done so much for her, so much that she could never repay. Deep inside her heart she knew she’d miss him as long as she lived, and she wouldn’t ever forget him.

“Are you ok?” Sehun worried when she got back into the car after tucking Ki Hoon into the back.

She nodded, “So where are we going?”

“Where we should have gone three years ago,” Sehun replied, “if you had showed up.”

Namjoo frowned at him wondering if he was up to anything. “Is this place appropriate for Ki Hoon?”

“Of course!” Sehun nodded his head. “Ki Hoon could go there even when he’s in his prime! It’s not a sin.”

A laugh bellowed out of her lips.

During the long drive they listened to the same radio station they always did during the dates they used to have. The pleasant memories it brought back chimed their hearts and they repeatedly turned to look at each other with broad smiles. It felt like they were reliving everything that belonged to them.

Sehun reached over to clutch onto her hand as they turned around a bend. A forest appeared on either side of the path before he drove down a gravel road. Far ahead she spotted a white church surrounded by fresh blooming flowers and a bell hanging in its tower. It was a pretty sight.

“It’s a village community church,” Sehun explained when they walked through the open doors, “they say young people get married here often. Those who do often end up living happily, have lots of children, grow old and die together.”

Namjoo glanced at Sehun with a smirk before laughing.

“I bet that’s a story you just made up.”

“No,” he shook his head, “it’s the truth!”

Namjoo shook her head and turned to look at the stained glass windows with hidden pictures in them. The sun that shone through lit them up prettily and the rays that fell in flashed colors of variety onto the ground. Ki Hoon trailed after him quietly before walking onto the stage to play with the magnolias that had been set up for decoration.

“Be careful, don’t break them,” Namjoo warned before Sehun stole her attention with a tug of the arm.

“Pay attention, our audience is here.”

Namjoo frowned before turning to look at the empty pews behind them.        

“What game are you playing now?” She asked.

“Because,” he began, “if you came here with me three years ago, we could have gotten married then. The priest I spoke to was waiting for us that day.”

Namjoo felt her heart flutter before snorting playfully, “You’re never going to forget that, are you?”

“No,” he smiled and held her hand, “so today, without an official ceremony I will play our priest and the groom.”

The smile on her face grew and her insides laughed all the while her heart threw itself in circles.

“To me, it’s not important to have a wedding. We don’t need others to enjoy our special day with us. I just want you to be here with me,” Sehun told. “And that’s what I’ve been wanting all along.

“So, do you, Kim Namjoo, take Oh Sehun to be your husband, your partner in life and your one true love? Will you cherish his friendship and love him today, tomorrow and forever? Will you trust and honor him and cry with him? Will you be faithful through good times and bad, in sickness and in health as long as you both shall live?”

Sincerity and softness lit Sehun’s face. Namjoo was extremely touched, but she wanted to laugh at the same time. In the end a small laugh fell through as she looked away shyly and immediately covered .

“What?” Sehun asked a bit upset that she had laughed. “Don’t do that. I had to memorize this all night. It was difficult, you know. And I’m serious here.”

Wiping the smile off Namjoo turned to look back at him only to feel her lips crack open into a short laugh again.

“Sorry, it’s just funny,” Namjoo told before clearing and straightened her posture. “Lets do it again.”

Sehun sighed, “Forget it.”

Namjoo made a face at him before wrapping her arm around his waist and tip toed up to kiss him.

“Fine, fine,” she said as if chiding an upset child, “I will. I love you. I take you as my husband.”

He stared down at her with an upside down smile before kissing her in return.

“You’re mine from here on,” Sehun claimed and looked down when they felt someone pry their hands apart.

Ki Hoon glanced up at them questionably before holding a flower out to Namjoo.

“And of course the little guy’s,” Sehun told. “He’s got good taste.”

Namjoo looked at Sehun and laughed before playfully hitting his shoulder.

She thought that even if she couldn’t figure out what love was, she could feel it down in her very veins. It was sweet and brought promising feelings that lasted a lifetime wherever she was. These feelings would be wherever she intended to be and she could no longer doubt them when she was with Sehun.

The dark road she’d seen ahead of her before had ended. Even if the road had ended, the end was just another new beginning. Even if she’d come a long way there was another long winding path to go. Namjoo thought she could walk down it as long as she had her family.

Sweet, sweet family. 


***Sometimes determining a definition for everything is just a headache. No need to describe love as long as you can feel the sincerity of it *.*

***Sehun could have left home in the first place, but he wasn't powerful; he wasn't driven to do it and he wasn't determined enough so he was never able to do it. But Ki Hoon made that difference and when he realized he wanted his happiness much more than believing in the false faith he had in his mother's kindness, he found the strength he needed. Hayoung's kind advice boosted him toward his happy ending.

***Every character had a place in this story.

***Luhan's never ending support and love for Ki Hoon will be a big contribution to Ki Hoon's growth and understanding in life. He's helped Namjoo come a long, long way. And again, let me say that she never used him. Her feelings were always genuine. There was no illusion or made up love. They're friends and his family loves her. Namjoo has come this far thanks to him, not just Ki Hoon alone. Nothing could have happened without Luhan's part. So again, every character had a place in this story.

***Thanks so much for your love and support!! I didn't think this story would be liked this much nor did I think it'd come so far! It makes me feel good ^^ I finally completed a story in such a long time. Thanks again for the love and support! Thanks for smiling, crying, and thinking about this story. I'll write even better in the future! Thank you!

***And to show my love, I wrote up a bonus chapter