Parallels

End of the Road

The woman stared right back at him, Luhan doing the same without any sense of fear. Without asking he already had a sense of this person’s identity.

Stepping forward he asked, “Who are you?”

The woman’s lips curved up in amusement, “How unlucky you are to see me, but in my case this is luck.”

The woman pressed her lips together and looked around the neighborhood.

“The house isn’t too bad, but wouldn’t you like to live somewhere with a better view? Maybe a view of the ocean? Or the mountains?”

“I don’t think that’s your business,” Luhan pointed out. “Is there something you want?”

He watched Sehun’s mother tap her wallet into her other hand, “Is Kim Namjoo here?”

“Why?” Luhan questioned.

Sehun’s mother let out a breath of annoyance at his attitude, “You dare to ask me why?”

Luhan coolly turned to look around the neighborhood then turned to her, “From the looks of it, you probably don’t belong in this neighborhood.” Pointing his arm down the road he told, “If you drive straight ahead and turn left at the stop sign there’s a charity home you can donate to.”

There was a spiteful laugh this time, “Are you done? Call her out. I don’t have time to waste with you.”

“Then I don’t think you should come around here,” Luhan told off.

“Insolent fool,” she muttered underneath her breath. “You keep that woman away from my son. Your home will be under my thumbs if I see them together even for one second.”

She turned away and waited for the Chauffeur to open the door for her.

“No,” Luhan started, watching her pause in step, “you keep your son away from my woman. If he touches a hair on her body, I’m not going to let it go. If he goes to see her without my permission, I’m not letting you off either. A mother shouldn’t raise her son to chase repeatedly after a woman who already belongs to someone else. She, instead, should teach him how to give up properly.”

Turning away the woman entered the car and after closing the door the Chauffeur entered his seat to drive off. Luhan watched the car disappear down the street, pressed his lips together and started for his car.

“You’re a little late,” Namjoo commented upon entering his car minutes later. “Got held up?”

Smiling he nodded before reaching for her hand. Tightly gripping onto it he raised it up to kiss it.

Namjoo let out a surprised shout at the act, “What are you doing?”

“Just,” he looked into her face and imagined how she must feel under that woman’s gaze, “I’m just thankful.”

He reached up to swipe his finger against her face and turned to drive down the street.

Namjoo peered at him curiously and let out an amused snort, “What’s wrong with you?”

+++

Luhan was caught up in playing with Ki Hoon at a play center for children. She’d had no idea this was what Luhan meant by taking them out to eat. Instead of eating, they were both playing at the playground while Namjoo watched from afar at the table she was sitting at.

She hadn’t see Ki Hoon smiling this widely since a while ago. It made her feel blessed to see it even though she still subconsciously worried about how Ki Hoon felt toward her as a mother. Her son seemed to enjoy his time with his Han Han more. Namjoo still couldn’t think of anything she might’ve done to leave the impression that she’d leave him. The more she tried to think, the more frustrated she became.

“Hey,” Luhan tapped the table as he sat down and stuck some fries into his mouth, “why aren’t you joining us?”

“Two are enough for fun.”

“Poor sport,” he joked. “Are you tired? Bad customers today?”

“No. I just think…Ki Hoon looks like he likes you more.”

“Aish…” Luhan waved his hand down, “I’m just the only man he prefers. No one beats mom. Trust me.”

Namjoo glanced at him and smiled.

“Have you eaten?” He asked.

“Of course, while you two were off I finished everything.”

“Here,” he held out a fry toward her and waited till she ate it.

On the way back home she listened to Ki Hoon and Luhan sing some children songs he learned at the Day Care. The festive mood in the car couldn’t beat out the smile on her face as she turned to watch the happiness embroil itself in Luhan’s face.

Namjoo felt good. Everything with Luhan was always good.

While preparing snacks for them in the kitchen she listened to Ki Hoon play in the tub while Luhan scrubbed his back and washed his hair. She could hear Ki Hoon screaming in refusal over something Luhan had done and laughed to herself. Somewhere inside her head she wondered if life would continue peacefully like this if she’d said ‘Yes’ confidently to Luhan that night in Incheon.

If she chose life with Luhan she knew she was guaranteed happiness. Luhan would do everything for her and her arms of safety would always welcome her. How good did that sound? To be hugged and kissed by him; be safe, secure, and free with him. Namjoo really wanted that kind of life, but she knew it wasn’t right too and that held her back.

“What are you doing out here so long?” She felt his arms around her waist minutes later.

Feeding him a snack over her shoulder she asked, “Ki Hoon in bed?”

“Yes, mommy, he’s in bed,” Luhan kissed her head. “What are you worried about?”

“Nothing.” Namjoo turned away to stare at the snacks she’d piled up onto a plate. “I made too much. Bring some home for your parents.”

“Yes, ma’am,” he playfully called and hugged her tighter. “When are you coming over again? Mom misses Hoon. Dad probably misses him too.”

“We’ll see,” Namjoo patted his head. “What is with you today?”

“I’m sorry. You had it hard.”

Grabbing onto his hand she turned around to look at him, “It’s not hard.”

“No,” he ran his fingers through her hair affectionately, “I mean, when you had to face her alone.”

Namjoo slowly blinked her eyes before realizing what he really meant. “What happened?”

“Nothing,” he answered, “I took care of it.”

She stared into his face appalled and overgrown by worry.

“I have to get going,” he gave her a quick kiss. “Goodnight.”

Namjoo hurried to follow him, grabbing his arm. “I’m sorry.”

Luhan laughed at her before running his hand down the back of her head and hugged her. “Don’t be. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

+++     

“Namjoo?” Sehun knocked on her door for the tenth time. “Namjoo!”

Stepping to the side he hastily tried to look in the window, but it was blocked by a curtain. Heaving a sigh he turned to lean against the house and stared down the road.

Namjoo was probably at work. He wanted to know what Day Care Ki Hoon was at now. Sehun just wanted…some time with his son.

He paced around outside of her door, the sun slowly dropping in the sky while he waited. It was about 7 p.m. when he heard voices. Turning to stare down the road he recognized Ki Hoon’s excited chatter and Namjoo’s. A smile caught itself on his face before it quickly faded upon realizing they weren’t alone.

“You liked it that much?” Luhan asked. “Should we go again?”

“Yup!” Ki Hoon replied loudly.

Turning around Sehun searched for a place to hide. Spotting the alley nearby he rushed toward it and hid behind the garbage bin there. A family of stray cats meowed upon his approach and Sehun nervously peered out to see if Namjoo had noticed, but they paid no attention.

Darn Luhan, he thought. He’d wait till he was gone in order to talk with Namjoo, but to his dismay Luhan walked into the house with them. Sehun droned on tired and out of patience where he was when Luhan didn’t leave for another hour. He grew nervous and irritated with thoughts of what they might be doing inside.

If they did anything in front of Ki Hoon, he though…he wouldn’t forgive them. Sehun anxiously chewed on his nail the longer he waited and barely fell asleep before the door finally opened. Excited, he peeked out of his hiding spot and caught Namjoo walking outside with Luhan. For a second he panicked that they might be going somewhere together, but they just hugged. With a final wave Luhan turned to leave and Sehun finally threw his head back for a deep breath of relief.

Now that it was finally clear he stepped out from the alley and toward the house. Running his eyes over the door he knocked and waited for Namjoo to open.

She didn’t come to the door, so he knocked again and waited. There was no answer so he knocked again and again.

“Namjoo,” he called out. “It’s me.”

No answer again.

Was she ignoring him? Had she known he was there all along?

“Namjoo,” Sehun tried again, unable to bring himself to give up. “Open the door. Namjoo.”

He knocked again and again until he heard the lock unlatch. It opened slightly, but not fully which meant she didn’t want to invite him in.

“What do you want?” She asked coldly.

Sehun stared down at her, his heart wanting him to pull her out for a hug. Namjoo…shouldn’t be greeting him like this.

“Just…” Sehun tried before his will died at her reluctance to even look at him.

Something was different. He could feel it with the tension in the air. Had Luhan told her something? Had she decided to leave him out of her life for real?

Namjoo stepped back after a quiet second, “Quiet. Ki Hoon’s sleeping.”

Sehun glanced in and walked in. Namjoo passed him by and returned to whatever it was she was doing at the counter.

“I heard you pulled Ki Hoon out of the Day Care,” Sehun began. “Why?”

The movement of her hands paused for a slight moment before resuming to work.

“Is it because I know that place?” Sehun wondered. “Why can’t I see Ki Hoon? He’s my son.”

Turning around she said, “I told you to call before stopping by.”

“Why? I can’t just visit you because I want to? What’s wrong with it? You don’t like it? You don’t want to see me?”

Namjoo stared at him all the while remaining silent.

She wasn’t giving in and he felt his emotions fly all over the place. If she didn’t grab onto him, he would lose her even if he fought against the engagement. He was afraid. There couldn’t be a future without her. Sehun thought about sleeping alone as he had last night in his room and how lonely he’d felt.

It was terrifying.

“I miss you.”

He was desperate for her touch; her touch that could give him some comfort. He wanted to be comforted.

Namjoo finally heaved a long sigh. When he stepped forward to grab her for a hug, Namjoo immediately stepped back to dodge.

“Let me ask,” Namjoo glanced at him, “have you ever considered anyone else, but yourself?”

Sehun stared at her thrown off and baffled by the question. What was she talking about?

“I’m asking, Sehun,” she said his name roughly to make sure he was listening; as if he were a child she was talking to, who didn’t quite understand anything, “if you’ve ever thought about anyone else, but yourself.”

Again, he stared at her quietly with no answer to relay.

Namjoo laughed almost spitefully, upset at him for some reason he couldn’t quite understand.

“Have you thought about your girlfriend? How she feels? Do you know what you’re doing right now?” Namjoo interrogated then held her hand to her chest. “Because I know what I’m doing. I want to be happy; I want Ki Hoon to be happy, but have you thought about what your girlfriend may be feeling this instant? How she feels about the engagement, how she feels about you, how she feels about me and Ki Hoon? Have you thought about that?”

No. He never thought of it.

Sehun stared at Namjoo struck by her words.

“Grow up, Sehun,” Namjoo told, “we’re not students anymore.”

Not once during the whole time he’d known Namjoo had he seen her look at him degradingly. Sehun was speechless. He hadn’t expected this and maybe that was why he didn’t know what to do.

Namjoo’s outburst…where had it come from? What had instigated it?

“Please leave.”

With just that he trudged out puzzled. Why had Namjoo talked about Hayoung? Lost in the midst of the thoughts he only woke up when he heard a car door close.

“Hey,” someone called out and Sehun turned in time to catch something being thrown at him, which he later realized was a bottle of juice.

Looking up to see who it was he recognized the face of the man who his son affectionately called Han Han. Luhan walked toward him with an identical bottle in hand, but didn’t offer his hand when he stopped in front of him.

“Sehun,” he started, “right?”

Sehun stared silently at him knowing that Namjoo had told him that.

“I’m Luhan,” he introduced himself then turned away to walk toward his car.

Sehun swiveled his head to see Luhan climb onto the hood of his car and slightly sit on it. When nothing else was said he followed.

“Want to hear a story about Namjoo?” Luhan asked.

Sehun raised his eyes up in the dim darkness to stare down the quiet road. There was a light shining from a room, but it was too distant from him; perhaps a few houses down.

“It was winter,” Luhan began, “snowing, cold, and while we were enjoying our warm homes she was somewhere out there sleeping in the alleys. I never asked what happened; how she lost her home or how she looked for food during her days on the street. I found her one day, collapsed in an alley by a factory with nothing, but a coat and a summer dress. She was four months pregnant and she couldn’t walk.”

Sehun gripped onto the bottle of juice; his fingertips scraping the plastic of it. His eyes continued to roam the streets, but his heart ripped itself apart, wrenching and screaming.

“She’d lost much weight and shouldn’t be carrying, was what the doctor said. Hoon…was a fetal in distress,” Luhan further went on. “So she stayed with us; my mother nursing her back to health and my father providing for her. Namjoo cried very quietly on her own, it was heartbreaking. I never heard her laugh until Hoon was born. It felt like a miracle to hear it. She never told us about you until recently. Namjoo’s been happier until recently.”

Luhan turned to look at him determined, but Sehun couldn’t look at him.

“I’m going to marry her,” Luhan said, “and I’m going to make her and Hoon happy. If Namjoo wants to remain friends with you, I’m ok with that. I’ll let you see Hoon every now and then too, so don’t come here anymore.”

Stepping off Luhan got into his car, Sehun naturally stepping to the side with his heart shattering to a thousand pieces. He trembled and he wanted to cry.

He honestly didn’t know…he didn’t know Namjoo had suffered like that. 


***The more Sehun wants, the less he gets. The further Namjoo runs, the less distance she covers. In this case, they're both the same. Sehun hurts so much that he can only see what he wants disregarding everybody else. Namjoo can't see anything else, but the road to escape which is right in front of her; Luhan. Namjoo knows she loves Sehun, which is why she can't answer to Luhan's proposal but she's desperate for a future with no tangles. Sehun can't see what's really in his way, his mother, because right now he only wants Namjoo and his son back. All this running and chasing will hurt them and everyone else. 

***/cough cough/ Remember how Luhan's mother told Namjoo that it was ok to reject him? Luhan knows about giving up. And here we have the scene where Luhan tells Sehun's mother about teaching Sehun about giving up.

***Luhan always seems to be the most sane one in my stories LOLOL