Nothing

End of the Road

+++

Sehun watched Hayoung walk out of the gates with his son; his heart wrenching for what he had to do. He was sorry for Ki Hoon, who had been forcibly pulled into this mess created by his mother. It was unfair for him and it wasn’t right.

They, the adults, were all in the wrong. If just…if he’d known three years back this wouldn’t be happening. Namjoo wouldn’t have to go through so much and Ki Hoon wouldn’t have to follow in her footsteps, bearing all these hardships.

The thing was, he didn’t know Ki Hoon enough to tell what was running through his mind. Sehun was afraid and felt guilty over what Ki Hoon may have witnessed. At three years of age, a child would start developing a sense and understanding of his surroundings. Ki Hoon most likely knew what was going on and Sehun was in the wrong for letting his son see all this.

Would it scar his mentality? Would he remember all this when he grow up and learn to resent him?

Sehun…was afraid.

He just wanted to be recognized as Ki Hoon’s father, but why…why was it so difficult?

Part of his heart watched sadly as Hayoung tucked Ki Hoon safely into her backseat. When his little boy turned to look at him Sehun smiled and waved hoping that he might be able to comfort him somehow. It felt as if he was parting with Ki Hoon again…but this time it would only be for a short while.

Closing the door reluctantly he turned around and made it halfway down the drive before the doorbell rang repeatedly in an impatient manner.

+++

Luhan was long gone by now. A sudden appointment with his friend to meet up with a prosecutor had come up that morning, so he’d left. She was to wait for him, but Namjoo was growing more anxious by the second. She most wanted her son no matter at what cost. In all, she just really wanted to get this nightmare over with. To get as far away as possible from Sehun and his family were the only things second to Ki Hoon.

His parents had returned late, so after getting her breakfast they’d gone to take a short nap. For some reason they all believed she’d wait for Luhan, but Namjoo couldn’t afford to lose the time. So she left after she was sure Luhan was far off down the road.

During the drive to Sehun’s house she vaguely recalled him pointing the large mansion out to her from afar. It was strictly white with detailed carvings alongside its corners. It was special and looked rather expensive from far. The palpitation of anxiety within her made her feel unsettled for what was yet to come. When they neared; however, she thought the house didn’t look as exquisite as she’d thought it would be. Instead it looked kind of dull and boring.

After paying the drive she stepped out and immediately walked toward the front gates standing tall and mighty over her, extending like shadows over a rabbit. Reaching her hand forward she almost hesitated before reminding herself she needed her son back and she was here to get him home.

Finally, she punched the doorbell with all she had.

Far back in her mind she reminisced over the happy days when it was just her, Ki Hoon, and Luhan and his parents. All had been so calm and peaceful. The joy in her life had never been so great as it had been then. Why had she decided to let Sehun ruin it all? Namjoo was guilty…guilty.

Upset by the memories she punched her finger against the doorbell faster and faster before the metal of the door heavily shifted and the door opened. What Namjoo least expected was to come face to face with her traitor.

Sehun stared back at her surprised by her sudden appearance.

Before he could speak she demanded, “Where is he?”

Sehun parted his lips to respond but Namjoo agonizingly and loudly questioned, “Where are you keeping my son!?”

He stared at her taken aback by the sudden flash of anger and despising that look on his face Namjoo shoved him back. She was unable to contain herself. Why did he look so stupefied when she knew that he knew well what was going on and why she was there. It angered her. His pretension angered her.

“Ki Hoon!” Namjoo forced herself in and looked around wildly. “Ki Hoon! Mommy’s here! Lets go home! Ki Hoon-ah!”

Namjoo stared around at the empty yard around her as she hurried toward the house without thinking. All that swerved through her mind was her child. She had to find him. This was a game of hide-and-seek where Sehun had the upper hand and she couldn’t lose.

Climbing up the steps she entered the large manor, “Ki Hoon!”

A huge empty hallway surged ahead of her and Sehun couldn’t catch up to her in time, so she invited herself in. All the way down the hallway she continued screaming for her son. When in the next foyer Sehun finally managed to grab her arm to which she quickly spun around to throw off. Angry panting breaths fell out of her heaving chest as she stared at him.

“Namjoo, listen to me…” he began desperately, but Namjoo would have none of his nonsense.

She’d been used…she’d been used.

“Why!?” She shrieked. “Why did you take him!? He’s mine and only mine! Give him back to me! Ki Hoon-ah! What did I ever do to you!? Why are you doing this to me!?”

“No, Namjoo, please listen to me. Namjoo!” Sehun tried to grab her arms to still her, but scourged with sorrow for how she’d suffered the last two days without her Ki Hoon she screamed while trying to shove him away.

“I don’t want you! I want my son!” Namjoo continued to bellow. “Give him back to me! Who gave you the right, who!? You liar!”

Slashing her arm out she felt her hand sting as it swung against his cheek and they stilled in silence. A bell chimed in her ear and echoed for what seemed like a long minute before he finally pushed her against the wall.

“I don’t know what you heard, but listen to me,” Sehun spoke underneath his breath almost out of patience.

Namjoo squirmed back into the wall, but before Sehun could go on a loud voice interrupted.

“What’s going on?”

+++

“Namjoo?” Luhan called out when he walked into the house.

It was strangely and deathly silent. He’d just gotten good news that the prosecutor would work with them against Sehun’s mother, but he would have to hear Namjoo’s end of the story first.

“Namjoo,” Luhan called out again as he walked further into his house only to discover emptiness.

Slightly holding back his concern he opened the door to the guest bedroom to find it silent and empty. She wasn’t there. It didn’t take him long that Namjoo had left, but if she’d gone to Sehun’s he didn’t know where that was. Hoping that she would keep her promise to go together he quickly left his home to drive to her house praying that she’d be there.

+++

In the middle of the doorway Sehun’s mother stood with the sunlight from the window in the other room casthing a dark shadow over her. They both stared at her sunken in shock before she walked in. Namjoo could hear her heart drumming in her ears the longer the moment went on.

“Mom…” Sehun began only to have his mother shove him back from Namjoo.

He fell a step back and eyed them both closely before clenching her hair and pulled her out of the room. A cry seeped out of Namjoo’s lips as his mother dragged out from the room while Sehun screamed and chased after them. When they neared the front door Namjoo felt the force of his mother’s push when she shoved her a step back. The glare in her eyes was no joke.

They were like an owl’s when sweeping down on its prey. There was no mercy and no sympathy. She was just an animal with no emotions, but full of hunger.

“You wench, you dare to step your filthy feet into my house?”

“You took my son, I’m here to get him back.” Namjoo grumbled underneath her breath. The deep anger sprouted tears of hatred within her eyes, but she wasn’t about to fall back. “When I find him, I’m going to sue you.”

His mother snorted as if she’d just told a joke, “You think you can?”

“Why are you underestimating me? Is it because you’re scared I can?” Namjoo hissed calmly before her face twisted to the side and her cheek stung with the slap just given to her.

Her teeth chattered and her hands shook. She most wanted to return the hit, but clenched her hand and turend back to glare at his mother.

She snorted again breathlessly, “You dare set your eyes on me like that?”

For once, Namjoo chose not to fall back for her dignity and for her father. “I dare.”

She shot her eyes at Sehun shooting hatred out of her eyes at him. Heat boiled up in her. He never stood up for her in the past and he didn’t do so even now. She had to admit that she was heavily disappointed and hurt. She hated them even more.

“Your house is disgusting. I can’t even bear standing here,” Namjoo muttered. “You’re going to regret messing with me.”

Forcing calm over her she turned around to invite herself out the way she’d come. When outside she felt herself tremor out of shock. She almost couldn’t believe she’d done what she just done. There was no guarantee that she could do what she’d just threatened. Why had she played tough when she didn’t know if she could go all the way to the end?

Angry tears fell down her face with how much she hated them and why this was happening to her. She hated everything.

Her body lurched forward when Sehun grabbed her arm to turn her around. Namjoo angrily pulled her arm back, but Sehun fought against her. Looking at him upset her even more.

“Let go,” she quietly demanded and when he didn’t she screamed, “I said let go!”

He stared at her with those sorry eyes of his before slowly loosening his grasp.

“Namjoo…”

Namjoo laughed spitefully as if everything was suddenly amusing to her.

“What a great show,” Namjoo commented. “I don’t even know who you are anymore. I just realized our leagues don’t match. I’ve grown up much faster than you have the past three years and you’re still the same student who’s still found no escape. I feel sorry for you.”

Namjoo hardened her stare and forced her arm out.

“I’m going to kill you the next time I see you. Everything comes to an end here.” Namjoo muttered before swerving around to walk out.

When she finally got into a cab a minute later she felt all the sorrow well up. Honestly, she had hoped for so much more from him, but Sehun was an honest disappointment. It hurt. It hurt.

Pressing her hands against to silence her sobbing she cried the whole way to her house. She just wanted to bury herself alive now.  

+++

Sehun’s lips trembled. Namjoo hated him. His mother had gotten what she’d wanted and he almost gave in. For a second he thought he was going to lose it all then he remembered why he’d come so far. The moments of reunion and to have his family had brought him to where he was today. Sehun had fought so hard just for this. If he lost everything now all he’d done would mean nothing.

Turning toward the garage he spotted Chauffeur Kim cleaning the car and in that moment Sehun darted toward him.

Shoving the man aside he demanded, “Where are the keys? Give me the keys!”

Chauffeur Kim stared back at him appalled and moments later Sehun found himself racing down the street in hunt of the cab Namjoo was in.

+++

Pounding on the door Luhan shouted, “Namjoo! Namjoo! Are you in there?”

He’d been there for minutes, but he couldn’t find himself to leave. Instinct told him he’d find her there, and the best of him knew it. Moments later the engine of a car stopped down below the street. Turning around he waited for a few seconds before he spotted a disgruntled Namjoo walking up, her hair in a slight mess. Her face was running with tears and he could see that something had obviously happened.

At once he hurried toward her, “What happened?”

Namjoo only shook her head. She wasn’t in the mood for talking and needed to be calmed down, but he couldn’t let her be alone. Things happened and he worried.

“Lets go in, I’ll get you something to drink,” Luhan offered.

When they started to turn around the sound of footsteps hurrying against the concrete made him turn to see Sehun coming after them.

“Make him go away,” he thought he heard Namjoo whisper.

Recalling how his mother had come to harass Namjoo just yesterday Luhan gripped his hand into a fist before lunging out at Sehun. Surprised by the sudden attack Sehun was easily tackled to the ground. Instead of punching him, Luhan grabbed his collars and shook him as he pulled his torso up.

“You still have the guts to come here?” Luhan hissed. “I can forgive the fact that she left me for a piece of junk like you, but I won’t let it go that you can’t even do a damn thing for her. You think you love her,” Luhan spat out a spiteful laugh, “my . You can’t even protect her; do a simple basic thing for her. You took her son and you can’t find it in yourself to return him? What kind of a father are you? Is that something someone who loves her should do?!”

Shoving him back down Luhan stood to his feet.

“I swear I won’t let it go if you appear again. Just leave.”

Sehun stared him before pulling himself up and stared over at Namjoo who refused to look at him.

“I’m sorry.”

She still didn’t turn.

“I know why you hate me,” Sehun said, “but I have my circumstances. I was powerless. I never hurt Ki Hoon nor would I take him from you. I know I hurt you, but I never intended to. I…was never a liar. I…just really wanted to know it was to be a father. I was just jealous. I’m sorry for all this, but, Namjoo, I’m not ready end everything. I loved you, I still love you the same, and I always will. So I’m sorry, I really am.

“I’ll let you go now. Tomorrow, by the river where we used to meet, I’ll bring Ki Hoon to you.”

His heart shattered to a million pieces as he stood there and waited for Namjoo to turn once more toward him. If she did he would run toward her.

She never did.

Biting his tongue he slowly turned away. When he got into the car he drove three blocks down before pulling over the side. It hurt and the pain endlessly throbbed in his chest down to his very bones.

Everything was ruined now. He would never have what he’d always wanted.

Bending over into the wheel he allowed the tears to stream out. It was so disappointing that nothing seemed to work for them. The sobs bellowed out and Sehun hugged himself in the loneliest manner possible.

+++

Namjoo was lying on her bed with her eyes closed. Behind her she could hear Luhan’s soft footsteps protrude into her room. Even without noise she could tell he was standing there patiently.

She’d lost track of time, but it was probably dark outside now. There probably weren’t any stars where she could see them. Namjoo didn’t want to open her eyes to the see the brightness.

“Namjoo, you have to eat,” Luhan gently told.  

Her heart hurt. Too much had already happened and she was feeling drained now. Still the tears still found their way out of her enclosed eyes. The warmth of it trickled down her face where it should be inside her heart.

“At least drink something.”

Namjoo didn’t say anything, but sat up a moment after. She’d left the lights in her room off, so her eyes didn’t sting from the lights when she opened them. She stared into the darkness that was the very same blackness on the winding road in front of her.

“I…don’t want to be here anymore.”

“Don’t say that.”

There was a moment of silence when more tears streamed down her face like laces.

“Why is it always like this?” Namjoo sobbed. “I always have to lose him. It’s not fair…”

A hearty cry escaped her and her body shook as the sobs took over.    

“What am I supposed to do now?” She found herself clenching onto the bed sheet and no comfort could be felt even when Luhan grasped onto her shoulder to tell her she wasn’t alone. 


***Ouch..I cried