Grandma's Illusion

Water

“I really like you. Would you be my girlfriend?”

He repeated when he got not respond from her. Rhea fixed her eyes on his, but her mind was wandering away from the original spot. What should she say? What should she do? Say yes to it? Or turn him down by saying no? Would she accept his feelings? Or she wouldn’t?

It was Kris image again that kept her minds wandering off. She should have given Gunwoo a quick answer, but all she did was thinking. Gunwoo’s good-looking, just like how handsome Kris is. What made him different from Kris was his attitude. Kris was all about being cold, handsome bad guy whose heart was as soft as cotton while Gunwoo’s all about friendliness and not much of a bad guy.

Girls could simply fall in love with a guy like Gunwoo.

But, even Rhea herself doesn’t know why her heart was closed for him and for any other guy. Kris had passed away months ago and she still couldn’t get over him. Maybe, just maybe, Gunwoo’s confession was an opportunity to open up her heart.

X

“Say ah.” Gunwoo held up his spoonful of rice to feed Rhea and Rhea gladly opened . Three months. They’ve been in a relationship for three months. Rhea accepted him as her boyfriend, to replace Kris. To open up her heart for another guy. To cure the deep wound in her heart.

“Does it taste good?”

“Of course, oppa.” Oppa, she simply called him by that fluffy word, but she knew that it was just a word with no sincere feelings. She knew it was a bad thing; to say ‘I love you’ or ‘I like you’ without meaning it. She knew she would hurt his feelings in the future. But she’s giving the opportunity for time to change her heart; that wounded organ.

“Can we go out for a date today?”

“I’m sorry, but I can’t. My grandma’s coming today. She’ll be staying here for a couple of days.” Gunwoo pouted when he heard her. So it basically meant no Rhea for days, and he’s pretty sure that it would feel like weeks. He told her that, but Rhea couldn’t do anything for him. Besides, she had missed her grandma. She last saw her during her aunt’s wedding, which was last year.

The doorbell rang, and the chiming sound echoed throughout the house. Rhea got up from the stool and went to the door to check on her visitors.

“Grandma!” Pure whiteness coloured the old woman’s hair. Deep wrinkles were clearly seen on every inch of her skin. 70, that’s the age of her grandma. Rhea rushed to her house entrance to open the gate.

Standing beside her grandma was her favourite auntie. She had texted her yesterday to bring her grandma along when she’s going to the city for some business project. “Thanks, aunt. I’ll send her to the village myself in a few more days.” Her aunt asked about her life (as usual, because her parents weren’t there at that moment). Right then, Gunwoo walked out of the house.

“We’ll talk on the phone later.” He interrupted the family’s conversation. Both the elders eyed him, wondering who he was and why did he went out of Rhea’s house. “Who are you?” Rhea’s aunt asked politely, because the question itself sounded ill-mannered.

As usual, Gunwoo flashed his shy grin, while answering, “I’m Gunwoo, her partner.” Her aunt mouthed a simple oh, and glad with Rhea’s development (in personal relationship). She’s at the age when ladies should prepare themselves for a whole new world, called marriage, but to her dismay, Rhea’s dated only one man before. And of course, her aunt wouldn’t know about Kris – so she did not put Kris in the list.

“Yeah, so we’ll talk later, oppa.” Rhea said, and later she earned a kiss on the cheek from Gunwoo. Cold, his lips were so cold that it made her skin shivered even when the contact was short.

Of course, of course, the elders cooed at the both of them. Rhea’s grandma was smiling at the lovely sight, showing her invisible sets of teeth although she doesn’t really know who Gunwoo was. Gunwoo then parted from them, heading to his own home.


She took a swallow of the mango juice. Her fingers were lightly tapping on the kitchen counter as she fixed her eyes on her grandma’s figure. When did she become like this? She thought. Her old grandmother was getting senile. Her memories were as if blocked from her brain, but luckily, she still remembered her family members well.

Rhea disliked seeing her grandmother in that condition. She was as if living her life as a glass. Very fragile. Once touched, it will be easily broken. What if there’s an irresponsible, an inhuman person taking advantage of her condition? Nah, it can’t be. That was too much thinking.

“Grandma.”

She called out and her grandmother swiftly turned her head. “What is it? Do you want me to prepare your milk, Rhea?” Rhea shook her head gently as she got up from her stool, approaching her grandmother who was watching a drama.

“Stay here, okay? Don’t go anywhere. I want to shower.” She placed a light kiss on the wrinkled skin of her cheek. She walked towards the main door and locked it. She did the same to the back door and also, not to forget, she closed the windows and decided to on the conditioner.

Once she was done, she took a quick glimpse at her grandmother and smiled. Her grandmother fixed her eyes on the TV screen, never once turning back to look at her. As she plodded upstairs to the bathroom, she heard someone talking. Her grandmother.

“Stay here. She’s going up for a shower.” She turned her head and looked at her grandmother. No one was there, and her grandma’s eyes never left the TV screen. So she thought that she was just talking to herself; maybe it was a part of senility.

That night, she did not lock her bathroom door, just in case her grandmother needed her. She started her usual routine of cleaning and refreshing her body while humming her favourite song.

For some sort of invisible reason, she felt a chill running down her spine. Her neck area was suddenly so cold, so shivery – as if someone had just blew a stream of cold air onto her skin. For the first time, she asked to the empty air, to that someone who’s invisible. “Why are you here?”

She heard footsteps nearing, slow but heavy footsteps. She thought she’d have to protect herself even though she couldn’t see who it was. When she felt the air around her turned colder, she closed her eyes in an attempt to think furiously. But her timid personality grew larger and she got scared.

“Grandma, do you need anything?” It was the question that she asked to her grandma who was standing at the door. So the footsteps were her grandma’s – she was overthinking earlier. Thinking that maybe some sort of supernatural or paranormal incident might happen.

But her heart dropped from its original spot when she heard what her grandmother said next.

“Gunwoo-ah, look at you, you ert. I told you she’s showering.”


 

[A/N] : DUN DUN DUN. THE REVELATION PART ONE AHAHAHAHAHA.

I REQUESTED FOR A TRAILER AND I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT IN THE FUTURE!!!!!!!! HOW ABOUT YOU??????