Love is not a war

Wonderland

“So, why did you two fight, gain?”

Taeyeon’s lips curved into a scowl as she processed Yoona’s question. Was it ice cream? Or was it Jessica’s makeup? Or the coat she used that Jessica had always told her to get rid of? She inwardly groaned before shaking her head at Yoona. It was so petty that she already forgot what started it all. A small thing led to another and before she knew it, Jessica was already packing her bag, sobbing and accusing her of ridiculous things like having an affair with the cashier on the grocery store she frequents. It was so ridiculous, but normal when it comes to Jessica. Her girlfriend was—is possessive, but she likes Jessica that way. She would never trade Jessica for the world.

She snapped out of her thoughts when Yoona tapped on her hand, “Unnie, are you okay? Do I have to bring you to a psychiatrist?”

“Wha—no! What are you talking about?” Taeyeon furrowed her brows.

“Well, I though you already lost it. I mean.. one moment you were frowning, and next thing I know, you were smiling like a lovesick fool—wait, you are lovesick.”

Taeyeon rolled her eyes at Yoona before saying, “You have to help me. I’m doing something to appease Jessica.. and well, assure her of her place in my life—heart.”

Yoona raised a questioning brow, “What is it?”

Taeyeon smiled and beckoned the girl to come closer.

**

“Unnie, will you please sit down? I’m getting dizzy.” Krystal said as she watch her sister pace back and forth in front of her in the living room.

She groaned when Jessica continued walking, checking her phone from time to time, as if she didn’t hear her say anything.

“UNNIE!”

Jessica jumped up a little when, finally, Krystal’s voice went through her. She stopped walking and looked at her sister with questioning looks.

Krystal smiled, “Thank you very much.”

Jessica was about to continue what she was previously doing when Krystal pulled her to sit down on the couch beside her.

“Unnie, what’s wrong?”

Jessica sighed and slumped her shoulders before leaning hear head in Krystal’s shoulder, “Krys, how long had it been? Taeyeon hasn’t called yet. I think she doesn’t want me anymore.”

Krystal mentally rolled her eyes, “Unnie, you’re over thinking again. It had just been twelve hours. And Taeyeon-unnie would never ‘not want you in her life’, ever. You know that, we both know that. Maybe she just needs time or a little busy at the moment. You know how your fiancée is.”

Jessica’s cheeks flushed at the last words, “She’s not my fiancée. We’ve never talked about marriage.”

“R-really? I mean, I thought—assumed that you were already engaged and just wanted to keep it from us. I mean, everybody thinks so. Mom, Dad, Yunho. B-but, you’re not? How long have you two been together?”

“Six years,” was Jessica’s low reply.

“But that’s okay, right? I mean, you are practically married since you’ve been living together for so long now. So, no need for the expensive ceremony. All that matters is that, you both love each other.”

Jessica could only shrug her shoulders because, honestly, she isn’t really sure if it was all that matters. She can’t help but be a little frustrated at Taeyeon whenever the topic of marriage is brought up and how the shorter girl would always avoid it. She wanted to be Mrs. Kim so badly. She wanted to be sure of her place in her girlfriend’s life. But isn’t that being selfish too? What if Taeyeon doesn’t really want to be tied forever? What if being with her was already enough for Taeyeon? And, like Taeyeon, she should be contented with what they have, right? She shouldn’t ask for more. Right, she should be contented.

She nibbled on her lower lip as guilt kicks in. She had been arguing with Taeyeon for the past few days, venting all her frustrations on the shorter girl, even going as far as accusing her of having an affair. She wanted to provoke the shorter girl, thinking that it might be her only way of knowing why Taeyeon never talked about marriage. But Taeyeon was never the type to talk back. So, when she chose to be silent -like always, Jessica decided to spend the night in Krystal’s place.

And now, Taeyeon haven’t called yet, which worries her to no end since her girlfriend always tends to overwork herself when she’s not there to remind Taeyeon of rest and sleep.

“I’ll get the door,” Krystal said, snapping Jessica out of her thoughts. She furrowed her brows as she lie on the couch, waiting for Krystal to come back.

**

“Yoona-unnie?” Krystal asked in surprise. She haven’t seen Yoona in ages but the tall girl looked exactly the same as she last saw her.

The doe-eyed girl smiled sweetly before putting her index finger on her lips. Krystal raised a questioning brow at her.

“Taeyeon-unnie is here.” Yoona whispered, making sure Krystal was the only one to hear before backing away to point at her left. Krystal peered to the direction Yoona was pointing and sure enough, a short dark haired woman stood at the end of the hallway with what looked like a guitar case on her hands. Krystal grinned before beckoning for her Taeyeon-unnie to come closer.

“Krys, who’s that?” Jessica’s voice startled the three girls by the door as Taeyeon frantically signaled Krystal not to tell her sister.

“No one, unnie. Just a little kid asking for spare food.” Krystal stuck her tongue out at Taeyeon who glared at her while Yoona tried her best to suppress her laughter.

Taeyeon walked past Krystal in the foyer with careful steps before Krystal closed the door.

“Unnie, I’ll just go to my room for a while.” Krystal said, peering over her sister who lay on the couch with her eyes closed.

A hum was Jessica’s response and Krystal gave Taeyeon a thumb up before pulling Yoona into the kitchen.

Taeyeon swung the guitar strap on her shoulder as she took a sit on the floor beside the couch, moving as quiet as a ninja. She smiled at the sight of Jessica who still had her eyes closed and an arm swung across her forehead. For a moment, she wonders what she did to the gods to deserve Jessica.

She took an inaudible deep breath before strumming the guitar strings. She saw Jessica’s lips forming into a smile. A sweet, sweet smile and she finds her confidence boosting each second.

Love is not a place
To come and go as we please
It's a house we enter in
Then commit to never leave..

Jessica’s smile grew wider when she heard Taeyeon’s familiar voice but she didn’t dare open her eyes, afraid that she might ruin the moment again, like she always does when Taeyeon tries to be cheesy.

..Love is not a place
To come and go as we please
It's a house we enter in
Then commit to never leave

Love is a shelter in a raging storm
Love is peace in the middle of a war
And if we try to leave
May God send angels to guard the door
No, love is not a fight
But it's something worth fighting for..

Taeyeon’s voice had always been soothing; something she will never get tired of hearing.

..To some love is a word
That they can fall into
But when they're falling out
Keeping that word is hard to do

Love is a shelter in a raging storm
Love is peace in the middle of a war
And if we try to leave
May God send angels to guard the door
No, love is not a fight
But it's something worth fighting for..

Jessica would have let her eyes stay closed just for the feels, but she can’t help it. She wanted to see Taeyeon. She needs to see Taeyeon. Oh how she missed Taeyeon.

She slowly opened her eyes and was instantly greeted by Taeyeon’s dorky smile as she continue playing. Jessica then sat up on the couch, never breaking the eye contact she and Taeyeon shares.

..Love will come to save us
If we'll only call
He will ask nothing from us
But demand we give our all

Love is a shelter in a raging storm
Love is peace in the middle of a war
And if we try to leave
May God send angels to guard the door
No, love is not a fight
But it's something worth fighting for..

Taeyeon was, for lack of better words, hypnotizing. She was keeping Jessica in place yet sending her to another dimension she wasn’t so sure air exists. Warm liquid welled up on her reddened eyes as Taeyeon put down her guitar to take something from her jeans pocket. Something small and silver. Something Jessica had always wanted to have.

“..Yes, I will fight for you.. would you fight for me? It's worth fighting for, baby.” Taeyeon finished the song without her guitar. Jessica wanted to snatch the silver band that was held between Taeyeon’s index finger and thumb as she slowly kneel down on one knee. Jessica knew what it means but she didn’t want to assume.

“Jessica Jung Sooyeon..” Taeyeon let out a small smile, realizing how well the name rolled out of her tongue.

“Will you.. marry me?”

Jessica’s heart pumped a little faster; it was so overwhelming that she feels like she’s about to drown in her own breath. This was what she had wanted for the longest of time.

“In a heartbeat, Taeyeon.”

“Finally!” Krystal squealed from the kitchen, snapping a photo of a kneeling Taeyeon and a crying Jessica.

Taeyeon’s smile widened as she slips the silver band that perfectly hugged Jessica’s left ring finger. She admired her girlfriend’s fingers for a little while before pulling her into a hug. It was true; love is a house she commits to never leave. And, without a doubt, Jessica is her home.

 “..she didn’t even give the hobbit a hard time. Your sister’s an easy girl.” Yoona mumbled, earning a fist on her arm.

Krystal shook her head before snapping another photo of the newly engaged couple as they seal their agreement with a kiss.