Red paper heart

Wonderland

“Taenggu!”

Taeyeon stopped in her track, turned around and furrowed her brows at the sprinting male going her way.

“Oppa?” she said while the male bended in front of her, catching his breath.

“Here,” Heechul said, extending a red, heart-shaped paper towards Taeyeon.

Taeyeon took the paper, examined it, and the numbers 418 caught her eyes.

“What’s this for?” she asked with furrowed brows, eyes still locked on the numbers.

“I got it from the blind date booth,” explains her brother, pointing at a small booth near the cafeteria of the university. “You just have to find the student with the same numbers and they will give you both a date.”

Taeyeon looked at him incredulously. Right, it was Valentine’s Day. She almost forgot. Cons of being single.

“And you’re giving this to me because?”

Heechul grinned at her, rubbing the back of his neck, a gesture she knows all too well.

“Because you think I’ll be lonely today, of course.” Taeyeon rolled her eyes and prepared to turn away from him.

“Hey, there’s nothing to lose, right? Just try it, okay? It will be fun; it will give you something to occupy your mind for today.”

“You make it sound like I’m one of those desperate singles.”

Heechul laughed, throwing his long arm around Taeyeon’s shoulder as they started walking to the lecture halls.

“You do realize that the other paper might be in a girl’s hand, right?”

Heechul nods, “That makes things more exciting, doesn’t it?”

“A. Girl.”

Heechul snorted. “Oh come on, I’ve known your ual preference since forever.”

Taeyeon blushed and decided to just keep mum, carefully sliding the paper inside her jeans pocket. Well, at least this year’s Valentine’s Day would be different.

**

“Oh, good, you’re here.”

Jessica groaned at her best friend’s voice, burrowing her head deeper into her arms, hoping to get some more sleep before lectures start.

“Here,” Tiffany said, sliding a paper towards Jessica’s arms.

Jessica peeked at her best friend before looking at the red, heart-shaped paper.

“What’s this?” her eyes traced the numbers 418 on it. Her favorite number.

“I got this at the blind date booth. I would really go on that date if I didn’t have an appointment with Yuri,” Tiffany smiled dreamily, clasping her hands together. “She booked us a reservation in that famous restaurant. Isn’t she the sweetest?”

Jessica scoffed, burying her head back to her arms. “Go away, Tiff. I don’t need a blind date,” she said, her words muffled.

“Just go find the other person who has the same number, okay?” Tiffany said, totally disregarding what Jessica said. “Then go to the blind date booth and they’ll tell you what to do.”

“And look, it’s your favorite number!” Tiffany beamed at the realization.

Jessica groaned. Of course Tiffany wouldn’t stop pestering her about it. She nods her head with no intentions of finding the other person with the same number.

**

Three hours later, Kim Taeyeon walked aimlessly around the campus. Yes, she did say she isn’t one of those desperate singles but truth be told, she gets lonely at times. And, well, finding the other person with the same number doesn’t mean she wants to have a relationship with them, right? She was just curious.

She was so pre-occupied with her own thoughts that she didn’t notice she was about to bump into another student. There was a long, annoying squeal before her hit the ground. Taeyeon winced at the impact.

She looked at the other student with an annoyed expression but instantly softened when the student bowed for what seemed a hundred times while muttering her apologies.

Taeyeon stood up. “It’s okay, don’t worry,” she said and helped the student pick up her stuff that fell on the floor, a red paper catching her eyes.

She picked it up, inspected it and fumbled with her pocket, checking if it was her paper. Finding the same paper in her pocket, her eyes widened.

“Is this yours?” she asked, showing the paper to the girl.

“Y-yes,” the girl took it from Taeyeon. “I’m really sorry, I didn’t notice you.”

The girl bowed once more before preparing to take her leave when Taeyeon stopped her. She looked at Taeyeon with questioning eyes.

“Is there something wrong?” she asked.

Taeyeon shook her head, cheeks adorned by a tinge of red. “You see, we got the same number,” she showed the girl her paper.

The girl’s eyes widened before looking at her paper and back at Taeyeon, mouthing an ‘oh’ shortly after.

“So, uh,” Taeyeon slightly rocked her body back and forth. “Do you want to go to the booth or..”

The girl looked at her once more before nodding shyly.

**

“Seohyun?” Taeyeon asked as soon as they reached the blind date booth.

“Oh, unnie! You’re here. Found your soul mate already?” Seohyun smiled cheekily at Taeyeon.

Taeyeon chuckled nervously. “Here,” she gives Seohyun the two papers with the same numbers. “This is uh..”

“Jessica,” answered the girl with a smile.

“Right, Jessica. This is Seohyun, my sister.”

Seohyun bowed at Jessica before extending her hand for a hand shake which Jessica gladly took.

“So, you two are partners? How did this happen?” Seohyun furrowed her brows. As far as she knows, they gave each pair of number to a boy and a girl.

“Heechul-oppa,” Taeyeon said.

Seohyun mouths an ‘oh’ before at them. “So, what would it be?” she said, showing the duo the choices for the date.

“Oh, this is perfect, unnie. I know you love ice cream.” Seohyun pointed at the ‘Ice Cream Date’ category.

“Isn’t ice cream for kids? I’m not a kid, Seohyun.” Taeyeon said, trying to hide the blush that crept up on her cheeks.

Jessica snickered beside her. “It’s okay; I like ice cream, too.”

Taeyeon’s eyes lit up. “Really?” her lips formed into a grin. “Then let’s go for ice cream!”

Jessica and Seohyun giggled at her before her sister gave them the coupon for the ice cream date.

**

Two years later, Taeyeon finds herself sitting inside the same ice cream parlor where she and Jessica spent their ‘first date’. That first date was followed by another, and another, and another until it turned into lunch dates, dinners, and movies. Jessica said yes after their third movie date.

Taeyeon smiled as the bell of the door rang, signaling a new customer. A black haired Jessica walked groggily towards their usual table.

“I’m sorry to wake you up this early,” Taeyeon said, rising up from her sit to greet Jessica with a kiss on the temple.

Jessica smiled and shook her head at Taeyeon before hugging her lover. “It’s okay,” she said.

They sat down across each other and their ice cream arrived shortly.

“Happy Valentine’s Day,” Taeyeon slid a red, heart-shaped paper towards Jessica.

Jessica’s right brow quirked as she looked at Taeyeon before bringing her sight to the red paper, taking it.

Her heart pounded loud in her chest as she reads the message.

Marry me.

Taeyeon cleared . “I know it had only been a year and a half since we became official,” she took Jessica’s hand in hers. “But I knew you were the one when we bumped into each other. I don’t know what kind of game the heavens played that fateful day but whatever it was, I am so thankful.

I love you, Jessica, will you marry me?”

Jessica looked deep into Taeyeon’s eyes before nodding her head. “In a heartbeat, Taeyeon.”

Taeyeon rose up from her seat and pulled Jessica into a hug.

“Thank God for the stupid blind date booth, I found you.”

Jessica chuckled shakily as she felt her tears welling up. She loves Taeyeon with all her heart, despite their differences at times.

She never really thought about marriage and forever and ever before; but with Taeyeon, those cliché words just seem to make sense.

 

 

-----

Short because I just wanted to make a Valentine's one-shot special for you guys. Hehe. This was rushed, so.. :D Happy Valentine's Day, you guys!