Soojung's parents [Gender Bender]

Wonderland

Jessica gripped on her seatbelt tighter as her husband—soon-to-be-ex-husband, speeds off on the highway. She had her eyes closed; hoping to calm her nerves, but it wasn’t helping. Taeyeon was so focused on the road, mumbling something about too young, bad guys and something Jessica couldn’t quite understand. She jumped a little when she felt him squeeze her thigh.

“I’m sorry.. did I scare you?”

She opened her eyes and heaved a sigh of relief when she realized that Taeyeon had decreased the speed. She shook her head before patting Taeyeon’s hand twice.

“You shouldn’t have let Krystal go with her classmates for this outing. You know it’s very dangerous. They’ll be on that resort for a week, Sica.” Taeyeon’s voice was stern and authoritative. Jessica didn’t respond and chose to look outside the car window instead, straining her eyes with the blurred images flashing before her.

“Sica, you’re not listening to me agai—“

“I’m sorry, okay? It’s all my fault. My only task is to be a mother to my only child and I can’t even do it right. I’m sorry, I’m sorry.”

“Sica, that’s not what I mea—“

“I’m tired, Taeyeon. Just wake me up when we arrive.” Jessica cut him off, not bothering to look at her soon-to-be-ex-husband. It was too much for her; he always blames her whenever their daughter would do something he doesn’t like. If only he could spend more time with them, if only he was still the Taeyeon she had agreed to marry sixteen years ago. But he is not, and Jessica knows that the carefree Taeyeon was gone, never to come back again.

Taeyeon stole a sideway glance at her before heaving a sigh; this is not the time to argue.

**

Soojung puffed as she stared at the sunrise. It had been over an hour since they arrived in the resort and she’s happy, but she miss her Mommy Jessie and Daddy Taeng. She had never been away from her parents before, not even a day since her father is very protective. Not that she minds though; she love spending time with her parents, only her father had been busy and whenever he is home, her parents would always end up arguing, sleeping in separate rooms.

“You know..” Soojung turned her head to see her classmate, Minhyuk, sitting beside her on the sand, “..sometimes it’s healthy to share your thoughts.”

Soojung gave him a kind smile before returning her gaze onto the setting sun.

“Is there something bothering you, Krys?”

Krystal. That was her English name, given to her by her Mommy Jessie’s parents –her grandparents. Minhyuk is a close friend, thus giving him the privilege of calling her in her American name; which only her family does.

“I just miss my parents,” Soojung admitted, head resting onto Minhyuk’s shoulder.

The guy chuckled, “we’ve only been here for over an hour though.”

“I know. But what I mean is, I miss them being all lovey-dovey,” she blushed when she said the last word, “I just miss them together. You get what I mean, right?”

Minhyuks nodded, “At least you still have both your parents.”

Soojung bit on her lower lips, remembering that Minhyuk’s mother just passed away, “I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay,” Minhyuk said and pats Soojung’s knee as an assurance.

The fifteen year-old duo fell into a comfortable silence; Minhyuk’s finger swirled on the sand while Soojung watched the pattern intently, as if it was a Math quiz.

“You wanna walk around first? Maybe it will take your mind off of thing.”

Soojung smiled and stood up, facing Minhyuk. She then extended a hand to help him up which he immediately took.

They walked along the shore in silence, listening to the little waves as they kissed the sand. Krystal’s mind was wandering off to her mother; wondering what the thirty-three year-old woman could have been doing right now. Maybe she was with her plants again since she loved flowers too much. A small smile grazed her lips as she thought back to when she accidentally pushed the pot of her mother’s favorite flower, breaking it. Her mother looked like she was about to breathe out fire back then, but she still gave Soojung a smile and kissed her forehead; assuring her that it was okay and that she wasn’t mad. Mommy Jessie had always been with her, and when she asked for her permission about the outing, Mommy Jessie was a little hesitant but eventually nodded her head; You have to enjoy your teenage years too, she said with a smile.

She’s not sure if her mother enjoyed her teenage years too because Mommy Jessie only talked about Daddy Taeng when she asks about her teenage years. It was always with Daddy Taeng, everything was about Daddy Taeng. Where’s the fun in hanging out with one person almost all your life? But her mother said she didn’t regret a thing because being with Daddy Taeng was the best days of her life. And it made Soojung believe in ‘long and lasting love’, like what her mother’s favorite song always says.

“Isn’t that your Dad?” Minhyuk’s voice snapped her out of her thoughts and trailed her sight to where the boy was pointing at. Her eyes twinkled in excitement when the two familiar figure walked to the information counter. It was her parents.

“We should go and say hi to the—“ Minhyuk was about to walk to Soojung’s parents but was stopped when the girl yanked him towards a big tree.

“T-they can’t see us,” Soojung said, peeking at her parents every once in a while.

Minhyuk furrowed his brows, “Why not?”

“Because..” Soojung bit on her lower lip. Why, indeed? She had no idea. All she knows is that she wants her parents to spend their time together, without worrying about her.

“..I have a plan. And y-you have to help me.” Soojung added.

Minhyuk kept mum, urging her to continue.

“I think Daddy dragged Mommy here to spy on me,” Soojung said and Minhyuk nodded.

“L-let’s pretend we don’t know they’re here, okay? A-and whenever we feel like they’re somewhat near us, let’s do something that will bring them together.”

Minhyuk looked at her questioningly, “Like what?”

Soojung smiled, pulling Minhyuk away from her parents’ sight.

**

“Hi,” Taeyeon smiled at the male receptionist, “Do you happen to know what room the students from Seoul High were occupying?”

“They are actually occupying five room, Sir. It’s on the second floor. But I’m sorry I can’t give out more information.”

“Oh, no, no. It’s okay. My daughter is a student and I just wanted to talk to her.”

The receptionist smiled apologetically, “I’m really sorry, Sir, but we are prohibited to give out information like that. I hope you understand.”

Taeyeon nodded, “I understand.”

He looked around before saying, “Do you happen to have vacant rooms? Two vacant rooms.”

The male receptionist tapped on his computer keyboard for a while before turning to face Taeyeon again, “We’re kinda full right now. But we have a vacant cottage by the beach. Would you like me to book it for you?”

Taeyeon turned to face Jessica who stood motionless beside him, eyes screaming of more sleep.

“Is it okay if we sleep on the same room?”

Jessica shrugged her shoulder before turning her head away from him.

He nodded to the receptionist and handed his credit card. After signing some papers, they were ushered to a small cottage near the beach. It was a simple cottage, with white walls and white curtains. And LED TV was hung on the wall facing the bed and a small closet below it and a door to the comfort room beside it.

“Here you go, Sir.” The attendant handed Taeyeon the key to their cottage before excusing himself.

The couple stood inside the cottage; eyes taking in the interior, refusing to look at each other.

Taeyeon cleared his throat before walking towards the bed, dropping his body on it. Jessica just looked at his lying figure before letting out an inaudible sigh and walking towards the bed, sitting at the edge.

“We don’t even have clothes with us and you still have your work. I told you already, we can trust Krystal.” She spoke, unsure if Taeyeon was able to hear.

He turned around, looking up at Jessica’s back that was facing him. “We can just buy clothes in here. I’ll just call the office later, I’ll take an emergency leave.” He sighed, “Krystal is too young. What if something happens to her, here? What if she ends up doing something she’ll regret later? When you’re young, you don’t really know what you’re doing. When you’re young, you’ll end up regretting most of the things you did, twenty years later.”

Jessica clenched her jaw, “Regrets. Of course you know a lot about it.”

She stood up from the bed and walked to the door, “And Soojung is more responsible than you were in your teenage years. So no, she’s not gonna do something she’ll regret later on.”

Taeyeon blinked his eyes at the closed door that Jessica had just exited with a loud thud. Did he say something again? Of course he did. He always does.

He groaned, “Stupid Taeyeon.” He stood up from the bed and decided to chase after his wife.

**

“Your Mom looks sad,” Minhyuk said as they hide behind a bush.

Soojung nodded, biting her lower lip.

“Shouldn’t you approach her?”

Soojung tore her eyes away from her mother to look at Minhyuk momentarily. With a defeated sigh, she straightened up; ready to walk to her mother, only to duck again when the familiar figure of her father walked towards her sulking mother.

A smile crept its way to her smile as she watch her father hesitate for a moment, looking at her mother from afar, before finally sitting on the other side of the bench her mother had occupied.

“Will they be okay?”

Soojung rolled her eyes at Minhyuk’s question, “Of course they will. Now shut up and listen.”

**

“Sica..” Taeyeon called out in a soft voice, “It’s getting dark. We should return to the cottage now, it’s going to get cold soon.”

Jessica stayed seated, not moving nor talking.

“Sic—“

“I’m fine. It’s not cold.”

Taeyeon huffed through his nose and moved closer to his wife, “I’m sorry, okay. I didn’t mean it to sound like that. I.. I..”

Jessica looked at him briefly, “You don’t have to explain anything. I understand.”

Taeyeon watched as Jessica rose from her seat and walked towards the shop near the information counter. He sighed and raked his hair with his hand. His wife definitely got it wrong; he wasn’t talking about him when he said about regrets. What was there to regret, anyway? Getting Jessica pregnant at eighteen was probably the best mistake he ever did. No, scratch that, it wasn’t a mistake. It will never be a mistake and he would never have his life any other way.

He looked over his shoulder and a small smile grazed his lips when he saw Jessica examining on some clothes inside the shop. He must admit though, he miss the old Jessica. The girl who thought hairspray was more important than anything in the world, the girl that would kiss him on random times, the girl that would hug him in random places just to let the world know he was hers, the girl he fell in love with the first time he laid an eye on. How long had it been? Four year? They had stopped asking how each other’s day since four years ago. He had stopped buying her flowers four years ago. And he misses her everyday. But overtimes and out of town projects made them a little more distant from each other than they already were. There had not been a decent conversation between them; it always ends up in shouting and blaming, and he doesn’t like it one bit.

He threw a pebble before rising up; maybe it’d be better to find Krystal first and see her whereabouts.

**

“What should we do now?” Minhyuk asked, handing Krystal a plate full of food.

Soojung made a face, “Don’t you think it’s too much?”

“Yeah, I think we should just stop stalking them—“

Soojung rolled her eyes, “No, I mean this food. It’s too much, I can’t finish this.”

“Oh,” Minhyuk let out a sheepish smile, “Don’t worry I’ll finish it for you.”

They started walking towards their table but Soojung stopped midway as she caught the sight of her mother eating alone. Her brows furrowed, “Where’s Dad?”

“There,” Minhyuk pointed towards a male entering the restaurant.

Soojung smiled before settling down on her seat.

**

“May I sit with the lonely beautiful woman?”

Jessica snapped her head up at the person who interrupted her dinner, only to meet Taeyeon’s expectant eyes. She raised a brow at him before shrugging her shoulders.

Taeyeon smiled and sat on the chair across Jessica’s.

“What are you eating?” He asked, eyes travelling to Jessica’s plate.

“Aren’t you allergic to cucumbers?” He added, hoping that his wife would respond this time.

Jessica shrugged, “This is all they have.”

Taeyeon nodded and pushed a paper bag towards Jessica. She eyed the bag before looking at Taeyeon with questioning eyes.

Taeyeon let out a closed lip smile, “I thought, maybe, you’d like some fries and burger.”

“Why are you doing this? You don’t have to bribe me, I’m signing the divorce papers anyway.”

Taeyeon furrowed his brow, “Divorce papers?”

“Don’t act all innocent. I know you’re preparing for a divorce. So yes, I’m signing it. Just hand it whenever.”

With that, Jessica stood up from her seat and exited the restaurant, leaving a baffled Taeyeon.

**

Soojung watched her mother exit the restaurant before turning her gaze towards her father who had his head in-between his hands.

“Is he okay?” She heard Minhyuk ask. She could only sigh and shake her head.

“You go follow your Mom, I think she needs you more.”

Soojung gave Minhyuk a little smile before she stoddup to follow her mother.

**

Jessica stared into the night sky as she sat on the same bench she sat earlier. There were no stars in the sky but the moon was full. She remembers spending sleepless nights with Taeyeon back when they were still in high school; Taeyeon would always hug her as they watch the star lit night sky and she would feel safe in his arms.

“Hey, Mom.”

Jessica looked over her shoulder to see her daughter smiling at her.

“Krystal..” She said, beckoning for her to sit on the bench.

Soojung did and wrapped her arms around her mother, cheeks resting on her mother’s collarbone.

“What’s wrong, Mommy?”

Soojung’s question tugs on Jessica’s heartstrings. What was wrong, indeed? Everything used to be fine, magical even. And now, what was wrong? Where did they go wrong? Was it just miscommunication? Or did the feelings fade? She wasn’t sure. She wasn’t sure about anything anymore.

She kissed Soojung’s forehead before speaking, “Nothing, sweetie.”

Soojung knew better but decided to just nod.

“Your Dad had been looking all over for you.”

Soojung nodded her head, “What’s going to happen to you and Dad?”

“I don’t know. But you shouldn’t worry about us.” Jessica her daughter’s dark tresses, “Are you having fun so far?”

Soojung straightened up and smiled at her mother before nodding.

Jessica returned the smile and patted Soojung’s lap.

“E-excuse me, Mrs. Kim..” Jessica and Soojung turned their heads to a flushed Minhyuk, “I-I’m sorry to interrupt but.. everybody’s looking for Krystal.”

Jessica smiled at the boy before turning back to her daughter, “You go and enjoy.”

“But how about you?”

“I’ll be fine, sweetie. Don’t worry about Mommy.”

Soojung reluctantly rose from her seat before kissing her mother’s cheek, “I love you, Mom.”

“Love you too, sweetie.”

**

Taeyeon watched with narrowed eyes as his daughter walked with a guy to the dimly lit part of the resort. He immediately ran to his wife who sat on a bench by the beach.

“T-Taeyeon?” Before Jessica could even protest, Taeyeon was already dragging her.

He hastened his steps, “Soojung’s in there with a guy.” He pointed at the direction he saw Soojung.

Jessica furrowed her brows as she struggle to keep up with her husband’s pace, “B-but she was just with me. They’re back in the restaurant.”

Taeyeon shook his head, “Look,” he pointed at the two figures standing face to face.

Jessica squinted her eyes, “Is that Krystal?”

Taeyeon nods, pulling his wife with him to hide in a bush.

**

“Don’t be nervous, okay? This I’ll lean in but I won’t come any closer. Your parents are hiding in the bush, if my plan succeeds, maybe there’s a chance they’ll be able to work this out.

Soojung furrowed her brows; Minhyuk isn’t making sense.

“What do you mea—“

Soojung’s eyes widened when Minhyuk leans in, face inches away from hers.

**

Taeyeon’s eyes perked up when he saw the silhouette of the guy leaning in to kiss his daughter. He stood up and was about to walk towards them, only to stop when he felt Jessica’s fingers wrap around his wrist.

“Taeyeon, no. Stop it.”

He looked at Jessica incredulously, “I am going to stop him. I am not letting anybody kiss my daughter, Sica!”

Jessica stood up and tugged harder on Taeyeon’s wrist, “But they aren’t doing anything.. yet. Please. If you’ll do barge in, there’s a big chance that Krystal will hate you.”

Taeyeon tried yanking his hand away from Jessica, “I don’t care if she’ll hate me—“

Jessica had tugged harder on Taeyeon’s wrist; making him lose his footing, ending up sprawled on top of his wife who lay on the sand with wide eyes.

“A-are you okay?” He asked in a worried voice.

“I.. I am fine.. you’re just.. y-you’re heavy.”

Taeyeon supported his body with his knees and hands, still hovering on top of Jessica.

“T-Taeyeon..”

Taeyeon didn’t answer. Instead, he looked deep into Jessica’s eyes; something he hadn’t done in what feels like forever. Jessica’s gaze was still as hypnotizing as ever, sending him to a world only the two of them knows. And for the first time in years, he wonders why he stopped staring at the most beautiful pair of eyes he had ever seen. A lone tear spilled from Jessica’s eyes and Taeyeon’s heart throbs. How did he ever miss the longing looks in his wife’s eyes? Had it always been there? How long had it been there?

Not knowing what else to do, he continued staring at Jessica’s eyes, “I’m sorry.”

Jessica looked away. It was too painful. She told Taeyeon she’s willing to sign the divorce papers but truth be told she can’t. She can never imagine life without Taeyeon.

Taeyeon cupped Jessica’s right cheek with his left hand, making her face him again. The second time their gaze locked, Taeyeon finds himself leaning in, aiming for Jessica’s lips. He had Jessica’s lower lip in-between his lips, it before smoothly capturing her upper lip in-between his lips.

Jessica didn’t know how to react. Why was Taeyeon kissing her? Wasn’t Taeyeon planning on a divorce? That explains why he stopped sleeping beside her, right? The arguments? A divorce, it’s the only reasonable explanation. A divorce.

She pushed Taeyeonby the shoulder, breaking the kiss, before standing up to walk back to their cottage. But before she could even three steps away from Taeyeon, he already had his arms wrapped tightly around her waist.

“What’s wrong, Sica?”

She didn’t respond and tried prying his arms off of her waist, but his hold was strong.

Taeyeon turned Jessica around so that they were facing each other, arms still wrapped around Jessica’s waist.

“What’s wrong?”

Jessica looked away, “Please, Taeyeon. At least let me hate you. That way, I’d be able to forget about you after the divorce.” Her voice was hoarse as she tried swallowing a lump on .

Taeyeon sighed before putting a finger under Jessica’s chin, making her turn towards him again.

“Jessica, what divorce are you talking about? Are you planning to divorce me?”

“N-no! I mean—I wouldn’t.. b-but you.. that’s what you wanted, right? You always say you’re tired.”

Taeyeon’s face softens, “I am tired..”

He saw the hurt in Jessica’s eyes as tears welled up on his wife’s eyes.

He put his hands on each side of Jessica’s face, wiping the tears that rolled down her cheeks with his thumb, “I am tired of fighting. But not you. I will never get tired of you. Of us.”

Jessica’s eyes shook as she tried processing what Taeyeon had just said.

“I’m sorry we’ve been fighting the past months. I’m sorry this didn’t turned out the way I promised you.” He pulled Jessica closer, resting her head on his chest.

“I’ve been too caught up with work. I wanted to prove people that I can give you and Soojung the life you deserve. I wanted to work hard for us. But I’m sorry I failed to see that I was hurting you.” He pushed Jessica slightly away from him to look into her eyes, “But like what I’ve said on our wedding day, till death do us part.”

Jessica’s tears streamed down her cheeks again.

“So please.. please.. will you give your jerk of a husband another chance?”

Jessica nodded, “T-this.. has been.. l-long overdue.. t-though.”

Taeyeon chuckled and kissed each of Jessica’s eyelids, “I know. I’m sorry. I really am.”

“I’m s-sorry too.. Taengoo. I should have understood. B-but I was so sad, I missed you so badly and w-wanted your attention like before.”

Taeyeon nodded, “I understand, Sica. And I will try harder, okay? We will try harder.”

Jessica didn’t say another word as she tiptoed and kiss Taeyeon. Their lips still moved in-sync; just how it always had. She missed kissing Taeyeon, she missed being this close to her husband, she missed everything about Taeyeon. It was like he was close yet too far for her to reach. And now, finally, he is here. Holding her. Kissing her. Promising things to her. It feels surreal but it felt so, so good. This is the Taeyeon she had fallen in love with. This is the Taeyeon who swept her off her feet the first time he asked her out. This is her Taengoo.

She gasped when Taeyeon abruptly carried her bridal style, “I think it’s time to go back to our cottage now.” Taeyeon pressed their foreheads together as they pull away from the kisss, catching their breath.

**

“I think your parents will have a long night,” Minhyuk commented as they watch Soojung’s Dad carrying her Mom towards the cottages.

A sweet smile lingered in Soojung’s lips. She heard everything her Dad had to say.

“Thank you, oppa.” Soojung shyly said before tiptoeing to kiss Minhyuk in the cheek.

The guy’s eyes widened when Soojung’s lips landed on his right cheeks for a brief moment before the girl ran off to the restaurant.

He smiled and shook his head before running to catch up with Soojung.

**

Taeyeon hovered on top of Jessica on the bed, eyes locked in an intense gaze. Oh how he missed his Sooyeon. He brought his lips down to Jessica’s again, his palm her arms ever so gently. Jessica’s face glowed under the moon beam through the open window. He felt his wife smiling at the kiss and he momentarily pulled away to question her.

“What are you smiling at, Mrs. Kim?”

Jessica giggled, “Nothing. It’s just.. this.. this feels like our honeymoon.”

Taeyeon grinned at the tinge of pink that settled on his wife’s cheeks, “Oh. Do you remember what happened after this?”

Jessica gasped when she felt Taeyeon’s cold hand under her shirt, pressed against the skin of the small of her back.

Taeyeon captured her lips once again, fingers fumbling on the buttons of her shirt. She did the same to him too, stripping him off his white Polo shirt.

Taeyeon pulled away, eyes examining his wife’s now bare upper body, save for her undergarment.

“I love you, Sooyeon.”

Jessica smiled a sweet smile, something she reserves just for him.

“I love you, Taengoo.”

He looked over the alarm clock on the bedside table before a smile grazed his lips, “Happy anniversary, yeobo.”

“You remembered?” Jessica looked at him with surprised eyes.

“How could I ever forget the happiest day of my life?”

“Oh, Taengoo.”

Without saying another word, Taeyeon captured Jessica’s lips again before trailing sloppy kisses to her jaw line, her neck and down to her collarbone; and nibbling on Jessica’s sensitive spot, earning moans of approval from her. Oh how he loves his wife.

 

 

-----

A long(?) one-shot because it just wouldn't let my mind be at peace. So I had to write it. The title is random because I can't think of anything better. Lol.

NO EDIT. TOO LAZY -__-