Never and ever

Wonderland

“Thank you, Tiff.”

Jessica smiled at her fellow Korean-American girl as Tiffany stuffed her pink hoodie inside the suitcase that had the same color. Tiffany turned to look at Jessica before her lips broke into a smile, eyes disappearing and all.

“Good luck, Jessi!” Tiffany fist pumped before moving towards Jessica, enveloping the older girl in a tight hug; something she missed doing. It was refreshing, to say the least, to have Jessica in her arms again. She have no idea what happened to them but they just grew apart from each other. But, that was then and the older girl had been trying to rebuild the bond that was once lost. They were sisters, after all.

“You have to tell me the outcome once you get back to Korea, okay?”

Jessica could only nod at Tiffany as the younger but taller girl started pulling her suitcase from the bed.

“Please say hi to Krystal for me. And tell her I’ll be home soon, okay?”

“Of course, Jessi. I’ll look after Baby Jung.” Tiffany, once again, flashed that bright smile that made all the guys and girls swoon to their knees. “And take care of Taetae, too. Okay? You know how that girl is.”

Jessica smiled and nodded at Tiffany as she walked with the girl out of the room, not forgetting to take a glance at the closed door just beside their room.

“Do you think she’ll get mad? I mean, she wanted to spend the day with you guys. And I’m practically kidnapping her.” Jessica said, index finger curling a couple strands of her almond-colored hair.

“Don’t be silly, Jessi. You both need this. She may never say it but I know, I feel it, you both need this. Don’t worry too much, okay—“

“Fany-ah! Let’s go.”

Tiffany rolled her eyes while Jessica giggled as Yuri’s voice came from outside the front door.

“I’ll be going now, Jessi. Make sure to eat breakfast, okay?”

“Yes, Tiff. Now, go before your girlfriend gets mad at me for holding you up.”

“Wha—no! Jessi, Yuri’s not my girlfriend!” Tiffany said, head hung low to hide the tinge of pink that adorned her cheeks.

Jessica smirked, “Right. Now, go and have a safe trip.”

**

Jessica and frying pans never got along. Ever. And so, when the task of preparing breakfast was left to her since her members were heading home to Korea, she almost screamed at the eggs that floats on the cooking oil. She turned off the stove and begrudgingly looked at the half-cooked eggs. She grimaced at the thought that she can never do the simplest things for Taeyeon; it made her doubt if her plans of patching things up with the older girl would go through smoothly. She heaved an irritated sigh as she cracked another egg into the bowl.

After what felt like a lifetime, she smiled at the egg omelet and ham on the plate, patting her back for a job well done—almost job well done, if only she hadn’t burnt the rice and put half a gallon of cooking oil on the frying pan.

She laid the plate on the dining table before hesitant steps brought her in front of the closed door beside her and Tiffany’s room. Right hand raised as fingers curled into a fist, knuckles ready to rap on the wooden door, only to stop mid-air as she hesitates once again. She and Taeyeon weren’t really in speaking terms for years now. They talked, yes, but only for their performances and nothing more. A bitter chuckle escaped her lips as she remembers Taeyeon begging for her time back then, which she had always rejected since she always had plans with her friends outside the group. She was a newbie in the industry and she wanted to have friends outside her group which she spent almost a decade with. She had never given a thought at how it might hurt Taeyeon, not until the distance between them grew and eventually their friendship vanished into thin air -treating each other like any acquaintance would. But she had always treasured Taeyeon, treats her like her other half. Yes, Taeyeon was her other half; except for the fact that they looked alike, Taeyeon and her had the same personality too, making them twins from separate parents. But Taeyeon was more than a sister. She was nothing like Tiffany or Yoona or Sooyoung. She was someone close to the heart—super close to the heart that it pains Jessica to be ignored. She reached out, persuaded Taeyeon to talk to her, look at her just for a second. But all efforts were futile. And so she resorted to keeping the older girl all by herself, 702.6 miles away from home.

Finding the courage to finally knock, Jessica pulled her hand away a little, only for the door to be opened even before her skin could even come in contact with the wooden surface. With all the courage she could muster, she smiled awkwardly at the groggy Taeyeon who looked at her with puzzled eyes for a split of a second before shifting her gaze elsewhere.

Jessica took a deep breath in hopes of calming her nerves, mind wandering to the egg omelet and ham on the table. She inwardly groaned at the thought of the breakfast getting cold. When did knocking became a difficult task? She have no idea.

She might have been zoning out for a couple of minutes already because when she blinked again, there was no more Taeyeon in front of her. She looked over her shoulder and saw the lifeless body being dragged by its towards the kitchen which she followed immediately, making minimal noise as possible, afraid that Taeyeon might get irritated. She saw the older girl bend on the table, face hovering on the now cold food before taking a bite from the ham, face scrunching up. Jessica panicked as Taeyeon put the ham back on the plate. I should have gotten her something from the café, she thought as her eyes followed Taeyeon’s figure who busied herself with a cup and a stirrer.

Jessica sighed before taking the plate from the table to throw the food in the trashcan, only to stop when Taeyeon asked her, “What are you doing?”

Jessica shrugged, “It’s cold already.”

“I’m.. going to eat that.”

Jessica’s head perked up, eyes connecting with Taeyeon’s. “You are?”

Taeyeon nodded before shifting her gaze back to her cup. “Why? I mean, it was cooked to be eaten, right?”

“Y-yeah.. I.. guess.”

“Where are the others?”

Jessica bit her lower lip, “Oh.. that.”

**

Taeyeon paced in front of Jessica in the living room, arms crossed below her chest, as the younger girl looked at her with anxious eyes. She was mad, and confused and a little hurt. How could the other girls just ditch her while she slept? They were so excited last night, planning on how to spend their day off in Tokyo. And now, leaving her with Jessica. With Jessica! Of all people, why must she be stuck with Jessica? And to think that the manager-oppas were alright with this. It was madness to the nth level.

“I’m sorry you’re stuck with me.” She heard Jessica whisper in a hoarse voice, stopping her in mid-step.

Head whipped to the direction of the couch and she saw Jessica hanging her head low, “I-it’s not your fault.”

Jessica shook her head, “It.. was.. actually.”

This perked up Taeyeon’s curiosity as she watched Jessica, who refused to look at her, with scrutinizing eyes.

“I.. a-ask them.. t-to leave.. us h-here. We were all called for a photoshoot in K-Korea.. b-but I asked the managers t-to let us stay.. a-and have o-our photos taken w-when we get back.”

“You what?!”

Jessica flinched as Taeyeon raised her voice; something she doesn’t usually do. Heck, she was SNSD’s leader for a reason.

“S-sorry, Taeyeon. I-I’ll book us.. a-another flight.. today.. I p-promise.” She stuttered as she hurriedly stood up from the couch to get her smartphone and book them the earliest flight possible for the day. Screw her plans; nothing is going her way, anyway.

Stubby fingers suddenly wrapped around her wrist and she blinked thrice before looking the owner in the eyes. “I’m sorry. I.. I was just—I shouldn’t have raised my voice. Sorry, Jessica.”

Jessica nodded before patting Taeyeon’s hand, signaling the older girl to let go so she could continue on her task.

“Look, you don’t have to book us another flight. Not today, at least. I could use the day off.” Taeyeon smiled, making Jessica’s insides flip in a very, very, good way. Kim Taeyeon’s smile was something Jessica Jung found very expensive, and were never directed towards her.

“S-sorry again, Taeyeon.”

Taeyeon nodded, “So, what do we do now? I don’t think I could go back to sleep anymore.”

A smile graced Jessica’s lips, mirroring that of Taeyeon’s.

**

“Tired?” Taeyeon asked as she handed the bottled water to the panting Jessica. The younger girl shook her head before accepting the water with a small smile. “You sure?”

Jessica nodded, “It’s nice to get lost in the woods, don’t you think?”

Taeyeon hummed, uncapping her own bottle of water. Jessica had dragged her into the woods near their dorm, insisting that they go on a little adventure. She was actually hesitant at first, knowing how bad the younger girl was with directions. She was afraid of getting lost in the huge forest; but now, that’s just what’s happening to them.

“Can we take a rest for a while?” Jessica asked and Taeyeon nodded whole heartedly. She needed rest too.

Finding a large tree by the side, Jessica pulled Taeyeon by the hand and settled them in-between two large roots that popped out of the ground. Taeyeon smiled, realizing how their bodies fit perfectly in the small space; it was nice being in close proximity with Jessica again. Although she doesn’t hold any grudge for the girl anymore, Taeyeon still finds it hard to act natural around Jessica. Not when the younger girl had shattered her heart to a million pieces years ago when she chose her friends over her. It was selfish and immature, she knows. But she can’t help it; Jessica was someone she had always considered to be the closest person to her. Even closer than Tiffany will ever be. But time always changes things, and change was always inevitable.

But that was then, right? They are all grown up now. More mature. More understanding. Maybe it was time to start anew.

“I.. know I don’t deserve your forgiveness.”

Head snapped to her side to see Jessica fiddling with her fingers. Taeyeon quirked a brow but kept mum, waiting for Jessica to continue.

“Taeyeon-ah..” This time, Jessica looked at Taeyeon with pleading eyes that melts the older girl’s heart. “I.. I’m sorry.. for everything. I.. miss you. Us.”

“I want you back, Taeyeon-ah.”

Taeyeon’s lips broke into a grin as she took Jessica’s hand in hers, interlacing their fingers like they always did back to the days. Their fingers had always fit perfectly.

“You’ve never lost me, Sica-yah. I was always around, even if we never really talked. I was always there. I would never leave you.”

Jessica sighed before plopping her head into Taeyeon’s shoulder; the spot where it had always belonged.

“Never and ever, remember?” Taeyeon said, quoting Jessica’s words from years ago as she replied whole heartedly at a fan asking if she was leaving her ‘Taengoo’. She always finds it fluttering; even if people say it was just fan-service, Taeyeon knew better. Jessica had always been true to her words, however blunt they may sound. Jessica was never one to talk bull-crap. And she appreciates the younger girl for that.

“Never and ever, Taengoo-yah.”