Chapter 9

Counting Backwards


o9





New class, new teachers, and new friends.


The new year was begin.



“I hope you’re alright without me,” Hana sobbed, before pulling me into her embrace. “Life is not fair, right? Why do we have to be on the different class?!”


I chuckled. “I’ll be okay.”

“Hah how in the earth you can said so?” she cried even harder.

I patted her back for a while, still smiling to see her overreaction until I saw Yongguk was walking down the corridor before finally entered his new class.

Which was different from mine.

“I have to leave now,” Hana said, slowly loosing her embrace. “Please, talk a lot. When someone talk with you, please answer them and show a smile. You have to make friends.”

I nodded, just so she would quickly left me alone.

And as I walked into my classroom, I noticed everyone’s attention was coming into me.

Some of them just looked, while the others were giving me such a look that I found a little strange—and disturbing.


And I didn’t think I will doing well alone.





How was he doing without me?


“Today I will re-arrange the seats. Everyone, please come out according to your absence number,” Mr. Kim announced, putting a bowl of folded papers on his table.

As usual, I took the random seating arrangement without any expectation. Whatever the result was, I didn’t think it would affect myself.

Moreover—Yongguk wasn’t there anymore.

I opened the folded paper and received number eight, which was the second row, third line from the back.

I didn’t really like it. Since I was surrounded by many people and I couldn’t look outside the window anymore. I liked my old seat more.

“Bad luck, bad luck!”

I turned and saw a blonde guy was dragging a chair beside mine and carelessly dropped himself on it. He was looking annoyed, with some low curses and blabbers sliding out of his mouth. Perhaps, he wasn’t satisfied with the result.

His blonde hair was really long, as the front side of them could be styled into the upper side—where causing the back side looked more shorter than what it actually was. His eyes were big and bright, which made his stare turned to be so clear, yet the way he gave a look was more likely intimidating—and he did the same when looking at my direction.

“What?” he snapped.

Ah—I just did a mistake.

I shouldn’t have looked at him.

“Hey, stop looking at me like that,” his eyebrow lifted up.

I must apologize.

I must.


“I’m sorry,” I muttered.


“Hey, you can speak,” he was looking surprised, and quickly turning his chair to face me. “I thought you are silent.”

What’s wrong with this guy?

Why did he talk to me like this?

“Ya, you become silent again,” he chuckled, but it was cut off by the time our teacher threw a white board eraser to his forehead.

“Ya!! How dare you chatting on my class!” Mr. Kim yelled at him.

“I’m not even chatting. More like talking by myself,” he corrected.

The whole class bursted into laugh. And it was somehow causing me to think that it was because of me.

They must really considered myself as silent.

“Stop it! Are you going to test my patience?” Mr. Kim banged the table, obviously sinked into madness.

“Uh yeah. I’m going to test it from now on,” he nod his head, agreed. “Please anticipate.”

Mr. Kim was shouting out his anger in the front, while most of the classmates were laughing to see their early debate.

I watched him that was still smiling even on that kind of timing, somehow a little weird for me.

His confident eyes, his hateful smirk, his straightforward words—




I wondered who he was.





“Choi Junhong,”


The last class just finished a moment ago.

When he was holding out his hand to me, offering a handshake.

I looked at his hand for a while, before running my eyes back to his face.

“Song Jieun,” I replied, without accepting his hand.

He tilted his head to the right side, like wondering why did I reject his hand away but he just decided to take it back.

“Well, you’re a nice person,” he smirked.

I stood up from my chair, getting ready to leave the class but he suddenly got up too.

And I just realized how tall he was.

“Uh, are you surprised? I’m sorry,” he muttered, before his smirk appeared back on his face. “If you put on those kind of face twenty-four-seven, you’ll get a bunch of wrinkles before twenty.”

I just wordlessly stared at him.

Wasn’t really sure whether he was joking or not.

Or more like, I didn’t know how to respond.



“Ah—silent mode!” he laughed, “see you tomorrow, Jieun.”



I watched his back that was walking farther from where I stood, and how he called every people that might be his friends in a friendly way.



Weird, weird.


I saw it.

He was, also, shining.