Chapter 3

Counting Backwards


o3





“I want to be like you.”



And I literally regret for telling it.

It had been two weeks since I said that thing to Yongguk and he didn’t seem want to talk with me again. He was more like avoiding me—or pretending I wasn’t there beside him, whatever, the conclusion was he didn’t talk to me ever since my lame confession. That’s all.



Which made me keep blaming myself for my random words.



And time flew so fast since then.

Finally, it’s the time for school’s festival.

“I will perform at three. You have to watch me and I’m not buying any rejection!” Hana informed me for the third times of that morning through the phone, and I couldn’t help but smile.

I never came to any school festivals before but since Hana had her first dance performance that time, I didn’t think passing it would be a good decision. So I wore my uniform and went to school that Sunday, hoping that it would make me feeling better.

But right after I arrived there and saw how full the crowds were, my excitement went down all the way. I didn’t like being on that kind of crowds, where everyone was shouting, running and laughing everywhere. I hated it, really.

“Ah—it’s 1-B’s ’rose’,”

“As expected, she’s prettier in real,”

“She’s really beautiful,”

I heard many people were talking about me as I entered the crowds, trying to get my way into the building. I didn’t know who exactly saying it but I already felt nauseous to hear that kind of things about me. I didn’t like to be seen that way. That’s irritating.

“Hey,” a strange guy caught my wrist in a sudden, right after I entered the main hall.

I looked at him, feeling frightened real bad.

From the way he looked, he must not a good guy. And how tight he grabbed my hand proved it even better.

“Let’s have a walk together,” he smirked, showing his fangs that were really prominent.

I tried to pull my hand back but he got much power than me. His grabbing was even much tightened than before after my fail attempt.

“Just a round, I won’t do any bad things,” he whispered, sending me such goosebumps to feel his breath in my ear.

I was really afraid.

Yet I didn’t know what to do.

Until I felt my other wrist were being grabbed and pulled back, causing me to fall into his arm that was giving me so much comfort and safety.


“She’s with me. Don’t touch her.”




I thought it was a dream.


“Are you okay?” Yongguk asked, after we ran away from those guy and his gang’s chase.

I looked at him for a moment, convincing myself that he’s literally standing in front of me before I nodded once.

“You should be careful,” he sighed, “there’s so many guy like him here.”

And, I could do nothing than nodded again.

“You’re going to watch the dance performance, right?” he asked, but it was nowhere near a question for me. “You have to be hurry. It’s going to be full soon. Well, it’d better if I take you there.”

Wondering how he could know it, I ended up just staying on my mark, straightly looking at him.

And I wasn’t really sure about that but—I thought I saw his face got reddened, in a sudden.

“It’s okay if you want to go there alone,” he quickly added.

I immediately shook my head. Without thinking twice.


Well, I won’t lie.

I was really, really, happy that time.




“Here,” he handed me a cup of coffee, on our way into the main building.


I took them and wanted to say thank you or something else but I couldn’t even open my mouth. I felt terribly nervous.

“I promise you can see the stage clearly from the third floor, you don’t have to be worry,” he convinced, even without me asking.

We were going to watch the performance from the hall at first but since it was really full and some of the guys were staring and whispering something about me, he decided to take me into the third floor corridor—where the stage could be seen so much clearer, even much better than the hall. But it wasn’t a reason why I felt really happy.

It was because he knew what was on my mind, from that I wanted to see Hana’s performance and how I hated the way they talked about me.

He knew it.

“You can see the stage, right?” he made sure, since I was watching the show without any words.

I nodded, still found it hard to let my voice out.

We were watching the performance in silence, even until Hana’s performance finished. And I became worry whether he would leave or not.

“It’s Hana’s group, right?” he asked, right after the dance performance’s done.

I looked at him, carefully composing a sentence word by word inside of my head before spoiled it out.

“How—can you know?” I muttered.

After some seconds, he finally turned and looked at me in the eyes but I couldn’t read the meaning behind his expression at all. It looked plain—but I knew it wasn’t that motionless.

“I watched you,” he replied, finally.

And I just wordlessly stared at him, wasn’t really sure about what just I heard.

“I always do,” he goes on, with much softened voice.

I knew I should have said something.

I should have replied him.

Should have told him what I felt.

But in the end, no words could come out through my throat.

Even after I saw his trembling fist, even after I realized his blushing face.

I could say nothing.

At all.




After that school festival, Yongguk didn’t talk to me again.


I was trying to figure out his words by myself since I couldn’t tell Hana about that but I always got stuck at my own conclusion. I didn’t understand those kind of thing. I was really bad in guessing someone’s feelings.



Until it had been three weeks since the festival over—and we still hadn’t talk even once yet.

Perhaps, it would end just like that.



“Ah—it’s so tiring!” Hana complained, after we just finished a five round running for physical exercise class.

I wiped the sweats away, slowly following Hana from the back.

“Jieun-ah, let’s have some snacks! I’m nearly dying,” she mumbled, stretching her arms from left to right before she cried out of pains.

“Yeah. I’m hungry too,” I muttered.

And Hana turned back as she heard my answer.

“What’s getting into you? You’re not normally got hungry!” she squinted her eyes in suspicious way.

She was right. I wasn’t a type that easily got hungry but since I spent a whole day sitting beside Yongguk without talking while I kept forcing myself to wonder what better to do—eventually, I lost my energy.

It was such an useless thing.

I knew it.

“Is it forbidden?” I frowned.

“Not at all. I’m happy instead,” she winked.

While Hana was telling me how important to have a proper three times a day eating portion, my eyes caught something else through the corridor’s window.

I stopped from walking forward.

Between so many people on the soccer field, my eyes could only see Yongguk that was walking side-to-side with a girl. She looked really happy with a bright smile on her face and from the way her eyes lightened up, I knew what was going on between them.

“What are you—” Hana walked closer to me, before following my gaze into the field. “Ah—it’s Jun Hyosung.”

I immediately looked at Hana, wondering whether what she saw was the same as mine.

“Those girl that’s walking with Yongguk, right?” Hana made sure, “it’s Jun Hyosung. 1-F’s student. Looks like she has crush with Yongguk lately.”

Ah, so I was right.

Did they possibly dating?

“Do you feel it?” Hana asked, casually leaning into the window’s frame. “The way she smiles is really lively, right?”

Then I ran my eyes into that girl again, finding out that she’s indeed had a really beautiful smile.

“So many people say that althought she isn’t that pretty, the way she smiles is more than enough to bring you warmth and happiness,” Hana remarked.

That’s right.

That girl had something that I would never be able to pull off.

She could easily expressed her feelings, and she could show a smile in front of him.

Yeah—she’s alive.