Chapter 7

Counting Backwards


o7





I looked outside the window, where snow was slowly falling from the sky and some would leave traces on the glass. The whole school field was now on white, hiding the green grass under them which causing it to be left alone—typically winter.


But my mind wasn’t really fix on the view.

It wanted to know what happened between Yongguk and Hyosung and what they were going to talk about yet my sanity prevent me from doing so. More so, Yongguk didn’t hold me back when I decided to leave first.

Perhaps, he didn’t want me to involve on their talk too.

I didn’t understand.

I immediately turned to the right side as I heard the chair was being dragged, and found he’s already sitting there, next to me.

“Hey,” he called me, with a smile.

Was it okay if I asked him?

“The first class is Mr. Park, right? We’re on trouble,” he chuckled, referring to the pre-test.

I wanted to ask. I wanted to.

“Wait, I don’t think I bring the textbook,” he muttered, before looking inside his backpack.

Who was Hyosung? What were you guys talking about?

“Ah—I left it. Look like we have to share book,” he laughed.

I watched him being as usual, didn’t mind to tell me about the previous thing at all. And I kind of got it.

Before I decided to force a smile on my face.

“It’s okay,”



Yes.


The true question out of all—was I even allowed to know?





The final exam was already in the front.

Every students put their focus into books and lessons, spending the whole time to read and write, trying to memorize and find an answer of every questions.

When the snow had already stopped.




“.....Bang Yongguk and Kim Himchan,” Mr. Park finally finished reading out every names that got the lowest scores in pre-test, “that’s it.”


The commotion began inside the class, but out of the noises from other classmates, I could only hear the one beside me.

“Damn,” Yongguk hissed.

I looked at him for a while, wondering what better to say to make him out from the blue.

“It’s so tiring to be dumb,” he chuckled, looking at me with a wide smile.

“You’ll be okay,” I consoled.

I could see his eyes brightened up a little before his smile went wider than before.

“Well,” he faked a cough once, “you did a good job, as always.”

I shook my head. Quite disagree with his compliment.

“I hope that we’ll be on the same class again,” he said, slowly lowering his gaze into the floor.

Ah, I hoped that would happen too.

I wanted to be a second grade student with him. I wanted to be on the same class with him. I wanted to sit next to him again.

Afterall—I wanted to be always close to him.



“Yes,” I agreed.

“I’m not having extra course today,” he told, before putting his eyes back on me. “Let’s have a walk around.”





I felt terribly nervous.


I was walking beside him through the corridor and although we didn’t have each other’s hand, people gave us a different look already. And it didn’t feel good. More likely, pulling me down into the depth of my anxities—something that I never wanted to experience.

“How about having snacks on the way home?” he asked, slightly bowing his head down to catch a view of my eyes.

I just wordlessly nodded. Didn’t know how to response between people’s attention like that.

Yet I must admit that I felt a little happiness inside.

Where he didn’t feel embarrassed to walk with me and how he didn’t care about the other’s stare.

He was shining—and I saw the glimpse.


But as we walked passed the front gate, I saw Hyosung was looking at us with undescribeable stare from afar.

A stare that was looking empty and meaningless, but a little I knew—they must be hiding a million emotions within.




We had already arrived at a small cafè near the school, and reading the menu book from the front window.


“It’s so expensive,” he surprised.

He was right. I did think that those price didn’t suit for students like us.

“It’s okay,” I muttered. “Let’s just go home.”

He looked at me for a while, like having a deep thinking before his eyebrows lifted up as he knew what to do.

“Wait here,” he held out his forefinger, before turning around and ran away.

I wondered what he was going to do.

Did he go to get some money?

Or did he go to check other cafè’s price?

I didn’t know at all.


Until he came back with two ice-cream corns on his both hands.

“Do you like sweet?” he asked with a smile attached on his face.

I didn’t mind sweet at all.

So I quickly nodded my head.

“Here you go,” he gave me one from his right hand.

And when I already had them with me, I realized something.

Ah—vanilla flavour.

I really liked it.

I them once, feeling the chill going through the tip of my tongue into my stomach and the sweetness bursted inside my mouth. The way the cream blent and how them smoothly went down my throat left me a strange feeling afterwards.

It was a normal ice-cream, right?

Why did it taste so special?

“How is it?” he wondered, after I stayed still for a moment.

I looked up to see his face, and I couldn’t hold back my coming smile.

“It’s tasty,” I replied.

He was staring at me for a while, before turning around and walked away while tasting his own ice-cream.

And I saw him having the lemon flavour.



“It’s sweet,” he commented, still looking at the different side. “Too sweet.”