Chapter 13

Counting Backwards


13





It was spring.


And I could feel the warm breeze as I stepped out of the building.


It had been a month since the last time I saw Yongguk.



And no matter how much I wanted to see him—


I would always turned to the opposite way instead.





“So, we got new member from this week on. She’s Song Jieun, and I hope you guys can give much supports for her.”


I hesitantly stood beside Junhong that was talking in front of the other dancing club members, watching them giving me a look thoroughly.


And as I scanned through the faces, I found Hana smiled at me while giving me thumbs.



After Junhong finished his talk, they just casually nodded, wasn’t really interested on his topic and chose to take their spot instead.



While I still cluelessly stayed on my mark.



“You can sit on the bench,” Junhong whispered, as pointing to the corner side through his eyes.



I looked up at him.


Didn’t really understand why he told me to sit instead.



“You can’t dance. It’s as awful as your tennis playing,” he explained. “It’s good you still have that injuries.”



I kept staring at him.



I wanted to say something yet I wasn’t really sure what to say.



“Stop looking at me like that,” he smirked. “Go away.”



I pursed my lips, taking back all the words I wanted to say and walked to the bench.



I watched them doing the dance routine from the back side for two hours straight—how they smoothly moved according to the rotations, how much power they used to do the steps and how they did it with a perfect synchronization.



Some would do mistake, some would fall and sometimes lost the power.



But they worked really hard.



Probably because it was their passion, or because the leader’s supports.



Choi Junhong was indeed a shining person.


Mostly, he got the center and front line but there’s a time he went to the back side as well.


Though, I could tell he’s still watching over the other members from the mirror.



He would give instruction and correction as someone made a mistake. He would go to the front side and showed more powerful moves so the other members got stimulated. He would raised his voice and did the counting so they won’t missed the beat. In short, he did almost everything.



Although he looked really tired already.




Ah—that’s why he’s shining.




And that’s why,


He was the only one that got inside my vision.





“Is that still hurt?” Hana asked, lightly touching my right arm.


I shook my head.


Although there’s still some scratches, they weren’t necessarily hurt anymore.



She frowned. “Then why you didn’t dance? It’s been a week since you got into the club.”


Why?


Because Junhong didn’t ask me to do it.



He always used the same reason—that he’s tired to teach me the whole steps.



So I just got an absence and sitting for the whole two hours alone.



“It’s weird,” she twitched her lips. “Junhong doesn’t like it when someone just sit around like you.”



I looked at Hana, a little confused.



Then, why did he let me sit as the others were practicing?



“Maybe he will include you in our new choreography,” Hana guessed. “Whatever. I don’t really understand him as well.”



Yeah. That’s true.



He probably still thinking about the best moves for me since I was just really bad.



“Anyway, when would you buy a bicycle?” Hana asked, as she brought her weight onto her bike.



I looked at her bike for a while, before smiled and shrugged.


“Ah—you’re so frustating,” she scoffed. “I’ve been waiting for you since months ago and here you are acting like this.”




I chuckled.


A bike—I was considering to have one but I always forgot about it later.



And I just felt—it didn’t suit for someone like me.



It was only for cute and bright girls.


And I wasn’t one of them.


“Alright, alright. I’ll forget about this matter,” she narrowed her eyes to see my reaction. “See you tomorrow!”


I nodded, and watched her riding her bike out of the school’s gate.



Those colours, so cheerful.



Hana was really bright too.


She had been sharing her lights with me for all this time.



And I wondered what would I be without her.






Junhong was late, as usual.



The first class had already started fifthteen minutes ago but he was still nowhere to be found.



And Mr. Kim was really on fire.



Until our class monitor said that he saw him walking inside the school before the class started.





I didn’t know why did I get the chore to look for him later.



Our class monitor was just too afraid of Junhong and it was impossible for Mr. Kim to leave his class as well.


Relying on my good scores and clean reputation,


I ended up walking through the corridors and hall to find him.




Why did he come to school if he would end up dismissing class?



Why was our class monitor so afraid of him after looking for him before?



He was weird.

Really.

But being weird as he was, where would he go to avoid class?





I couldn’t find him.


I looked and taking rounds around the school but he wasn’t there.


Although Mr. Kim said it was fine and Junhong was indeed a pro at hiding—I was still curious.



Did he really come to school?


Or he turned back and leave on the very last minutes?


Where was he?



The school was finally over, and I walked out of the class still wondering about Junhong.



It was just weird how he could take my focus away without even being near me.



Really weird.



Until I saw him riding his bike across my way.



I turned, following his figure that was getting farther and farther.



Did he see me?



Why didn’t he call me?


Turn back, turn back.


Please,



Look over here.



What was I thinking about?


Did I just ask him to look at me?



I was still questioning myself when suddenly, I saw him looking back over his shoulder.



I saw him looking straight at me.



And as the moment he stopped and making a way back,

I had nothing left in my mind.



“Hey, were you looking for me?” he asked, as soon as he got in front of me.


I stared at his face for a while, wondering whether it was really only a day I didn’t see him.



“Let me guess, Mr. Kim’s command?” he laughed. “That Youngjae is afraid of me already.”



How—can?



“How can you know?” I muttered.



He looked at me, and as our eyes met, I realized he had a blinking habit.


“I saw you,” he replied.


What?


But—

“You couldn’t find me?” he smirked.



I opened my mouth, wanting to ask how could that possible but my voice didn’t want to come out.



How could he see me when I didn’t even know where he was and how could he turn back when he finally went so far?


Weird.


But—did he was the one who’s weird, or was it me instead?