Chapter 24

Counting Backwards


24





Everything was so fast,



where after I glanced away for a second,



I was finally on the last year of high school.





“So, our wish doesn’t come true,” Yongguk chuckled, after finding out that we were placed on the different class.



“It’s just three classes away though,” I muttered.



He nodded. “Yeah. Is there any of your friends with you?”



I was about to reply when suddenly, someone chimed between us. “Yes. It’s me.”



I looked back. And it was Junhong.



“You are?” Yongguk glanced at me.



“Yes,” I nodded.



“Classmates in a row,” Junhong made a peace—or actually two—sign.



“That’s good,” Yongguk laughed, before realized that we were almost get to his class. “See you this lunch break.”



I smiled, and slowly nod my head.



“And good luck,” he added right before he entered his class at 3-9, showing his genuine smile to brighten my mood.



“Ah—so lovey dovey,” Junhong commented, forcing out a bored tone.



I just smiled. Didn’t know how to face that kind of teasing.



“Looks like both of you have been progressing a lot,” he said.



“Really?” I wondered.



“Well, it’s from the way I see,” he hummed, entering our new class first.



I followed on his back, scanning through every unfamilliar faces inside of the classroom before trying to pick up a good empty seat. Everyone seemed to have their own group—pretty with gorgeous and smart with genius—obviously locking other people from walk in their range. It’s typical high school students behaviour. Which I still couldn’t understand why.



“What are you doing?” Junhong looked at me, his left eyebrow raised possibly in purporse.



I was wondering why did he ask like that, when it’s already so clear that I was looking for a seat before he smirked and tilted his head to the side,



directing at two empty seat on the back side.








It wasn’t actually a nice classroom, but Junhong’s existance beside me made everything much better.



“I’m not going to do any seating arrangement since it’s kind of troublesome so please at least take care of your own mouth,” Mr. Jang nonchalantly stated while piling his books on the desk, “I don’t tolerate any noises.”



“The power of “last year”,” Junhong whispered to me.



I just showed a timid smile, finding it hard to talk between lesson.



“Now, I’m going to tell you the basic rules of our school that I believe you already have them memorized in the depth of your mind but just let me finish my task,” he sighed, pushing up his glasses before goes on, “first of all, we have—”



The whole class attention moved into the door as soon as someone slowly opened it.



I looked at that direction too, slightly tilting my head back to see who it was.



I was quite unsure about what I saw until she walked in with her confident steps, into the front class beside Mr. Jang to explain her excuse.



Those wavy short hair, both small yet full of brightness eyes and thin smiles that shaped a beautiful smile—



I was on the same class with Jun Hyosung.








“It’s such a,” Hana blinked her eyes for several times, trying to think of the most suitable word before came out with “fate.”



I glanced at Junhong that was sitting on the other side of the table, showing a very normal expression like it wasn’t a big thing at all.



It had been a week since we both became senior year student and being on the same class with Hyosung as well but more than myself, I felt like Junhong was the one that having hard times adjusting with the situation more. While I, I didn’t think I should have had problem with that.



“It’s actually funny,” Hana added, but quickly looked at Junhong in concern, “well, yeah, not that fun.”



Junhong chuckled. “You know, it’s funny because you two are so exaggerating about that.”



I knew that Hana was taking a glance at me but I just fixed my eyes on Junhong, wanting to know his respond.



“First of all, we broke up in almost nice way so it’s not like we still have something unfinished to keep us sticking to each other,” he rolled his eyes. “Second, if there’s anything, I should have already chasing after her even without being on the same class.”



So blunt. As always.



“So what about you, Jieun?” Hana asked.



What about me?



I frowned, didn’t know what exactly I feel.



Did it disturb me? The fact that I could see her everyday?



Or because I knew she had feeling towards Yongguk?



I didn’t know.








Did I see it wrong?



I felt like Hyosung had been looking at me since the past two weeks and that was actually, a little disturbing. She would turn to look at me from her seat on the center side even if she only had some seconds of it—and following my moves whenever I got in and out the class.



I wondered why.



Did she consider me as an opponent?



Or it was because I never talked to her?



“She’s looking at you again,” Junhong whispered in the middle of history class and I took a quick glance of her after a while.



And she was indeed looking at me.



“She must have something to do with you,” he guessed, carelessly folding the edge of his textbook page.



I shook my head. “Like?”



“I don’t know,” he let out a yawn. “She can do anything she wants.”



I was going to ask what could it be but the vibration inside of my pocket won over my attention. I slipped my hand to take out my phone and carefully read the message without being caught.



After done reading and sending the reply, I put my phone into my bag to avoid any interruption again.



“Who’s that?” Junhong asked.



“Yongguk,” I quickly replied.



He nodded. “An after school dating plan?”



I smiled. It somehow sound a bit weird.



But no matter how weird it was, I felt really happy when the bell finally rang.



I collected my stuffs and shoved them inside of my bag, unpurposely doing it too loud that attracted Junhong’s laughter.



“He’s just three classes away,” he teased.



My lips tugged up a little but I didn’t really plan on answering him so I just took my bag and poked his back once.



“See you,” I awkwardly said.



He looked a little surprised but a smile appeared on his face soon. “Yeah. See you Jieunnie.”



I walked away first but when I glanced at Hyosung’s seat—I realized that she had already left.



I wasn’t really curious about why did she leave so fast or about where did she go, thinking that I shouldn’t put my finger on her life,



until I got out of the classroom and walked towards his class—I saw she was there, talking with Yongguk.