Chapter 19

Counting Backwards


19





Pretty.



Everything’s so pretty.



I was already happy with being by his side.



“Chocolate? Strawberry?”



I stared at the ice-cream counter’s glass, carefully deciding what flavour should I choose.



All of them had such beautiful colours but the one that I wanted the most was always the same.



“I want vanilla,” I glanced at Yongguk beside me, that had been waiting for my answer since then.



I heard his chuckle. But I chose to take a look of him through the glass instead.



“One vanilla and one lemon then,” he ordered, still with a smile fixed on his face.



Ah—he still remembered.



And that was more than enough to make my heart fluttered.



“I always treat you ice-cream or coffee,” he said as handing me the cup.



I scooped once, and put it inside my mouth to feel the sweetness bursted on my tongue. It was really sweet. And full of happiness.



That’s why, I felt a cheap treat like ice-cream was enough already.



“I want to treat you something more expensive,” he cleared his throat. “What do you think?”



I looked at him for a moment, before turned my head down and shook my head.



“You don’t have to,” I muttered.



“I don’t have to but I want to,” he insisted.



I looked at him back, and found he was smiling nervously.



What did he mean by that?



“What about we go to somewhere on this weekend?” he finally remarked.



Go to somewhere on weekend? Just two of us?



Did he really want to spend a weekend with me?



“It’s okay if you have another schedule,” he quickly added.



“No,” I straightforwardly replied. “I can.”



I saw his cheeks that got blushed a little, and how his lips lifted up and turned into a smile.



While I could feel my own heartbeat as I watched his reaction.



“Alright, then,” he slightly nodded his head, “let’s meet in the park at ten.”







We would spend a day together, outside school. And that thoughts clouded my mind for days already.



I never got too excited about weekend but this time—I understood why some people did feel that way.



“So, you guys will finally have a date,” Hana nonchalantly concluded.



I turned and looked at her that was knitting her converse shoes. I didn’t have those thoughts before.



A date?



“Is it?” I frowned.



“You and him have already being on a random status ever since last year,” she sighed, stretching her back as she done with the ties. “Hopefully he will finally confess to you.”



Confess? What kind of confession?



“What is he going to confess?” I wondered.



She glared at me. Looking hardly believe I asked such question.



“No wonder he can fool you all this time,” she shook his head. “Do you like him?”



I nodded right away. I didn’t have any doubts about that.



“Do you think he likes you?” she asked.



And for that one, I didn’t know the answer.



“Look. You don’t even know how he feels about you,” she retorted. “How can you put your hopes on someone like that?”



“I never ask him,” I muttered.



“So he will only tell you if you are the one that asking?” she scoffed.



“Do you hate him?” I hesitantly asked.



She sighed. “You know, not kind of hate,” she refused to call it that way, “it’s more likely confused me.”



I looked at her, still waiting for her continuation.



“How long you have already know each other? It’s almost five years. How long you got close to him? It’s since a year and half ago. How close are you with him? You guys come to school and even go home together. Not to mention sometimes you will even have lunch with him,” she blabbered.



She was right. Definitely into the calculation. But I still couldn’t understand her intention.



“Now, did he ever told you his feelings? Whether he likes you or not?” she pointed out.



Never.



It wasn’t like I never think about that but I was just wondering if it’s too early to talk about those thing. I wanted to be with him. That’s enough.



“I don’t know what makes you hold on this long. Even after he ignored you and pretending like he never know who are you,” she crossed her arms, looking at me with her full of confident stare. “But if he can’t treat you right again, I won’t give him second chance.”







Was it wrong to believe him?



For the third times, I checked myself through the mirror to find my white dress was already neat on my size. As the last touch, I ran my fingers through my long hair and brushed them to the front side—before I walked out of my house with my black flat shoes on.



I had a big smile that time.



Even until I arrived at the park and sat on the bench, I still had my smile on.



I watched the people around me walking with a slow pace, with hand clinging to their partner’s hand tightly. Everyone looked so happy that day, under the bright blue sky which followed by smooth breeze—I remember how beautiful the view was.



But as time goes by, when I found the sun was moving above my head—I finally took a glance at my watch.



It was already twelve.



Where was Yongguk?



Why he hadn’t come yet?



Did something wrong happened?



Did he forget about today?



I ran my hand inside my bag, and took out my phone moment later.



Scrolling down the contact list, finding his name out of the others—I still failed to press the green button.



What if he was really didn’t want to meet me?



What if he had another important appointment?



What if he didn’t mean about it?



I pressed the homescreen button and put the phone inside of my palms.



If he really wanted to come, then he would come.



If he couldn’t make it, then he would be the first one to call.



And so I decided to wait—and wait.



No matter how long it may be.



Until someone took a seat right next to me.