Clear

Leeteuk's Challenge

 

"Tell us the truth, doctor... Will Jungsoo be okay?" asked Mrs. Choi with a worried look as Kyuhyun and Siwon looked at the doctor with anxious faces.

 

The doctor's serious face broke into a smile as he nodded, making the family let out relieved sighs.

 

"He'll be fine in a few days, he just got the flu. But the reason he collapsed was because of malnutrition, lack of sleep and slight dehydration." said the doctor, then shook his head with a disapproving look.

 

"He's also severely stressed out." he added.

 

"Can we see him?" asked Kyuhyun.

 

"I don't recommend it since the flu is contagious." said the doctor with a smile, he then checked something on his clipboard.

 

"Are you Cho Kyuhyun?" asked the doctor as he looked at the younger.

 

"Y-Yes." said Kyuhyun, feeling a little nervous.

 

"You have a missing booster shot. I was just about to call your aunt and uncle and let them know, but you just made my job easier by already being here." replied the doctor.

 

Kyuhyun tried to run away, but Siwon grabbed the back of his shirt and kept him from going anywhere.

 

"I don't see why you're running, Kyu, I have to get the same shot." said Siwon with a grin.

 

"You're such a liar, Siwon, you already got your booster shot." said Kyuhyun with a pout.

 

"Get in that room and get your shot." said Siwon with a laugh.

 

"No." said a stubborn Kyuhyun.

 

"Kyuhyun, if you get your shot like a good boy, I'll give back your PSP." said Mrs. Choi, making Kyuhyun look at her in confusion.

 

"What do you mean give it back? It's in my room." said Kyuhyun.

 

"Of course it is." said Mrs. Choi with a smile.

 

"Don't do this to me, auntie. I expect this from my uncle, but not from you." said Kyuhyun with big eyes while shaking his head.

 

"Mom... are you blackmailing Kyu?" asked Siwon in disbelief.

 

"Blackmailing is such an evil word... let's call it 'bargaining' instead." said Mrs. Choi while still smiling.

 

----------------------------------------------------

 

After Kyuhyun got his shot, he gave Siwon the silent treatment and since they couldn't see Leeteuk that day, they went home. The whole car ride, Kyuhyun faced the window with his arms crossed and a pout on his face as he completely ignored his cousin, who desperately tried to get his attention.

 

"Why are you ignoring me? Mom's the one who took your PSP." whined Siwon as he tugged on Kyuhyun's shirt sleeve.

 

"I need someone to be mad at... and I can never be angry with auntie." said Kyuhyun with a shrug.

 

"You little punk." said Siwon as he leaned back in his seat.

 

When they got to the house, Kyuhyun went to take a shower and change clothes. When he was done, he plopped down on his bed with his back facing the door and let out a tired sigh. He then remembered that Leeteuk was going to be okay and he smiled, feeling happy about that thought and the fact that Siwon and his aunt and uncle are back safely. There was a knock on his door and after Kyuhyun called out, "It's open," Siwon entered the room.

 

"I was thinking about something on our way back here... You used to hate to even pass by hospitals, but you looked really calm the whole time we were there." said Siwon as he walked over to Kyuhyun and sat on the bed.

 

"I... finally broke down last night." replied Kyuhyun in a quiet voice, without turning around.

 

Siwon got off the bed and walked over to face Kyuhyun and crouched down so they were at eye level.

 

"What exactly happened?" asked Siwon with a worried look.

 

When his mom had died, Kyuhyun had no reaction whatsoever and kept telling himself as well as everyone else that she wasn't dead, that she was just sleeping. He stayed that way for a few days and that made Siwon and his parents worry because Kyuhyun wasn't grieving at all, he was just in strong denial. They took him to a specialist and the specialist had told them to keep a close watch on Kyuhyun and to never leave him by himself. In short, Kyuhyun was a ticking time bomb about to explode at any given minute.

 

Days turned into weeks and still no reaction out of him, not even when he was at his mom's funeral; he had just pretended it was someone else and didn't even cry. Weeks turned into months so Mr. and Mrs. Choi decided that Kyuhyun would be living with them because they didn't want their nephew to end up in foster care, knowing that would worsen Kyuhyun's mental stability. Sometimes, Kyuhyun would lash out and get pretty violent for some petty reason or another, his old school's principal had come to an agreement with Mr. and Mrs. Choi to have Kyuhyun just transfer out quietly so it wouldn't look bad on his record and strongly recommended that Kyuhyun go to a psychologist.

 

Mr. and Mrs. Choi debated about the idea and finally decided to institutionalize Kyuhyun, hoping he could accept his mom's death so he can be at ease both mentally and emotionally. But after a few days in the institution, Kyuhyun had several panic attacks and would bang on his room's door and call for Siwon. When the latter would visit, Kyuhyun behaved more like his old self and would smile and laugh like he used to, but it was all forced so the doctors could let him go. After about two weeks, they let Kyuhyun out and he was now Mr. and Mrs. Choi's responsibility.

 

And now that Kyuhyun said he finally broke down, Siwon blamed himself for not being there for his cousin like he usually is.

 

"Don't look guilty, Siwon, you had no idea of knowing when this would happen." said Kyuhyun as he stared back at the older.

 

"I know... but I still feel bad." said Siwon with a sigh.

 

"I was just asking Leeteuk some questions, but I was asking too much about personal things and I think I upset him so I just stopped talking. I then started to miss you and that got me missing my parents and the next thing I knew... I just snapped and ran over here in the pouring rain." explained Kyuhyun.

 

"I got terrible flashbacks of when I was at the institution and then a blanket was put over me and I got hugged before being steered back into Leeteuk's house. He then told me to take a warm shower so I wouldn't get sick and gave me some of his clothes. I was slowly calming down, but I had trouble sleeping because you, auntie and uncle weren't here with me so Leeteuk took care of me until I finally fell asleep."

 

Siwon listened to Kyuhyun's story carefully and mentally thanked Leeteuk a million times for being there and taking such good care of Kyuhyun. He then stood up straight and motioned for the younger to do the same, Kyuhyun got up from his bed and just looked at Siwon curiously. The older then took a step forward and wrapped his arms around Kyuhyun in a tight hug.

 

"I'm really sorry for not being there when you needed me the most, Kyuhyun... But I promise to never leave unexpectedly again and do my best to always be here for you." said Siwon.

 

Kyuhyun smiled and hugged his cousin back just as tightly while resting his head on his shoulder, feeling touched that he had people as caring as Siwon and Leeteuk in his life.

 

"You already do your best to be here for me, Siwon... But I don't want you to spend your life looking out for me, okay?" said Kyuhyun.

 

"Okay... but I'll still be here by your side, though, I don't want some ert hanging around my baby Kyu." said Siwon with a smile, Kyuhyun laughed and pulled away a little to look at his cousin.

 

"What if I were to get a boyfriend?" he randomly asked.

 

"You only know Sungmin, Kyu, you have to get to know other guys before you start dating." said Siwon.

 

"I already have someone in mind." said Kyuhyun with an innocent look, making Siwon chuckle.

 

"Aww, that's so cute... Wait... WHAT DID YOU SAY?!"

 

----------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

I'll be introducing SHINee in the next chapter ^ - ^ v

Minho: age 20, he's Kyuhyun's phycologist. Taemin: age 16, a student in Kyuhyun's school.

Jonghyun: age 26, a surgeon. Key: age 24 & Onew: age 26, they're regular doctors.